Options

Cover versions that are better than the originals

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    SourCherry wrote: »
    The Man Who Sold the World (Nirvana's better than Bowie's original)

The Nirvana version is great but the combination of Bowie and Ronson on the original is unbeatable!

I can't really think of any cover versions that improve on the original song, my favourite cover would have to be Korn's Another Brick in the Wall (1-3)/Goodbye Cruel World but the original four songs are so much better.

EDIT: I can now, Hendrix's cover of Bob Dylan's All Along the Watchtower is 1000 times better, one of my favourite songs, I forget that it's a cover sometimes though.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madness - One Step Beyond.
    Jonah Matranga - A New England
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stube wrote: »
    Some will disagree but i would say Leona's version of Run is better than Snow Patrol's. (Her vocals are better and i can actually connect with that version)
    I disagree! Snow Patrol's version will never be beaten by anyone.
  • Options
    EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    Pixie Lott - Use Somebody
    Leona Lewis - Run
    Noisettes - When You Were Young
    The Saturdays - Beggin'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elena wrote: »
    Dylan - All Along The Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix is also superior to Dylan's original. (I don't agree with the consensus about The Byrds' 'Mr Tambourine Man' being better than Dylan's though).

I have to say that a lot of Bob Dylan's original songs seem to be regarded as inferior to their respective cover versions , I'm not sure why though.

And since it seems that any thread about cover versions cannot escape the page long argument about Leona Lewis+Snow Patrol+Run , I'll just add my two cents to it....I prefer Leona's version and I do feel feel her version has more emotion in it , but just her live lounge version. Her studio version was produced specifically to make a record and the backing choir makes it borderline X Factor winner's single whereas the live version was just Leona putting her own spin on a song. Still like both versions though , I find SP's version a bit dull, if I listen to it I always have to forward it to the climax , but hey , that's just me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    cute chick wrote: »
    I disagree! Snow Patrol's version will never be beaten by anyone.

At last someone who feels the same! The majority seem to adore Leona's cover. I can't emphasise enough how bad it is, you cannot beat Gary's gorgeous voice belting it out! :D
  • Options
    Lego PigLego Pig Posts: 2,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant really say I am a fan of unastablished new start today covering songs that are only a few months old in themselfs.

I think the worst cover of all time has to goto All Saints for Under the Bridge, or Whatever Girl Band recently done Walk this Way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lego Pig wrote: »
    I cant really say I am a fan of unastablished new start today covering songs that are only a few months old in themselfs.

I think the worst cover of all time has to goto All Saints for Under the Bridge, or Whatever Girl Band recently done Walk this Way.

Yes! Sugababes and Girls Aloud had to bloody slaughter Walk This Way! :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the worst cover ever is Ronan Keating doing Fairytale of New York :cry:
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the No Doubt version of Talk Talk's "It's My Life" is better than the original.

My two all-time favourite covers:

The Jimi Hendrix Experience's version of Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower" is an utter classic, & surpasses the original IMO.

and...

Johnny Cash's cover of NIN's "Hurt". Masterpiece...
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes! :mad::cry::(

A truly horrendous abomination & musical travesty IMO.

They took a *classic* song, & butchered it, removing all meaning & feeling, & turning it into some shitty chartmusic nonsense.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sparkle_18 wrote: »
    At last someone who feels the same! The majority seem to adore Leona's cover. I can't emphasise enough how bad it is, you cannot beat Gary's gorgeous voice belting it out! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAQOWViUm0I

Can't watch the video on Snow Patrol's official site as YT are still blocking UK viewers from watching official music videos :(:mad:
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    I think the No Doubt version of Talk Talk's "It's My Life" is better than the original.

My two all-time favourite covers:

The Jimi Hendrix Experience's version of Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower" is an utter classic, & surpasses the original IMO.

and...

Johnny Cash's cover of NIN's "Hurt". Masterpiece...

I actually prefer Johnny Cash's take on 'One' to the U2 original (even though I do really like the original) - it's so stripped back and raw
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cute chick wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAQOWViUm0I

Can't watch the video on Snow Patrol's official site as YT are still blocking UK viewers from watching official music videos :(:mad:

Oh I love it so much! Takes me back to the gig in March, was amazing hearing 15000 people singing along! :D
  • Options
    lil_boolil_boo Posts: 1,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hallelujah - jeff buckley (for me, that is the definitive version of that song
    run - leona lewis (only the live lounge version, like someone said earlier, the recorded version lacked the same depth)
    missing you - tyler hilton (little known cover of the 80's hit, was on one tree hill)
    champagne supernova - matt pond pa (love the original too, buit cant stand liam gallachers voice!!)
    wonderwall - ryan adams (same as above!)
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squarepushers take on love will tear us apart is pretty f*cking cool
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Mimi. wrote: »
    Have you heard Rascal Flatt's version of this (I'm unsure as to whether this is the original) but imho their version is much better than Cascada's...Cascada just make dance music, which for me, always lacks emotion.;)

I thought the original was by Jo O'Meara, I could be wrong though.
  • Options
    patheticfoolpatheticfool Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    Valerie-Mark Ronson
    Run-Leona Lewis
    Just Can't Get Enough-the Saturdays
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't find a link, but I know it's on itunes and amazon for download...a band called The Reasoning have done a very good cover version of Duran Duran's The Chauffer.

Hated the original personally, but I like The Reasonings version of the song.
  • Options
    Pop_ArtPop_Art Posts: 5,116
    Forum Member
    Leona Lewis - Run. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eva Cassidy - Fields of Gold

Infact just about everything Eva covered was more special than the original. Her voice sends a chill down my spine:cry:

Other covers (in my opinion) better than the original..

Bonnie Tyler - Making Love Out Of Nothing At All
    Alison Moyet - Windmills of Your Mind
    Emiliana Torrini - If You Go Away
    Melinda Doolittle - My Funny Valentine
    K.D. Lang - Don't Smoke In Bed
    Donna Summer - MacArthur Park:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer the 'One' with Mary J Blige AND U2, as opposed to the original.

:o
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading through this thread and seeing mention of Pink Floyd covers reminded me that some bands can do reasonably good covers:

Carter USM - Another Brick in the Wall
    Teenage Fanclub - Interstellar Overdrive
    Catherine Wheel - Wish You Were Here

The Scissor Sisters, on the other hand, should just be kicked off the edge of a cliff for their effort.
  • Options
    elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say that a lot of Bob Dylan's original songs seem to be regarded as inferior to their respective cover versions , I'm not sure why though.

I think there's a couple of factors. Firstly, Dylan's voice isn't everyone's cup of tea ("A voice like sand and glue", I think Bowie called it). Secondly, his arrangements tend to be fairly simplistic because of his folk background - guitar and harmonica to start off with, and the odd electrical influence later on. Up and coming rock and roll artists could take the lyrics and be much more inventive and creative with the songs than Dylan could. He was, effectively, constrained by his fanbase, who at the time didn't want him to go down the rock route - we all know about the absolute condemnation he got from certain sectors when he brought an electric guitar on stage!

Personally, I'm a big fan of Dylan's and enjoy listening to him, but a lot of people can't stand his voice but appreciate his lyrics (which is why cover versions did so well). Another artist who many have a similar attitude to is Leonard Cohen (who I also love as an artist but who can be a very acquired taste).
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    SourCherry wrote: »
    To add to my earlier post.........

China Girl (Bowie's cover of Iggy Pop's original)

Respect (Aretha Franklin's cover of Otis Redding's original)

It was co-written by bowie and iggy pop