Options

Is it worth getting a Blu-Ray player?

OK, you'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge, I rarely venture into the world of AV, so be nice.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a Blu-Ray player, partly because watching DVDs on my Xbox360 is unbearable, and partly to see what all the fuss is about.

I'm not looking to spend shedloads, maybe around £150, but I wondered if its actually worth it? My TV is OK, it does the job, but I have neither the funds (well technically I do, but they can be put to better use!) or the space to upgrade at the moment.

I was thinking of this player: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-BDPS360B-Profile-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B0027FFX4O/ref=sr_1_42?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1251651099&sr=1-42

And this is my TV: http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-Sharp-LC26AD5E

Any advice on what I should do?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blu-ray hardware is more expensive and the disks are more expensive, I assume rental is more on Blu-ray as well so for a 26" screen perhaps just a better quality DVD upscaler is a better option.
  • Options
    klaeresourceklaeresource Posts: 793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluray rental costs the same as dvd from Lovefilm.

When buying new releases you can usually find Bluray only a pound or two more - but you wont find any under a fiver a few months down the lin yet.

If you are in the market for a new player then the Bluray is a good idea but whats wrong with the X-box playback ?

Does it not upscale ?
    HDMI connection?
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes, xbox should upscale - how are you putting your xbox signal INTO you TV. hdmi or component should look fine. Maybe its just using composite, which wont look as good as it could

out of interest, i just got a PS3 - Blu-Ray looks super, but it also upscales better than my other DVD players, I think.

"Once upon a time in the west" remastered DVD looked absolutely great.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    The biggest thing by far with the Xbox is the noise! The fan is so loud it's unbearable. During constant action it's not too bad, as the explosions/shouting etc drown it out. Watching something like Lethal Weapon which has a mix of quiet dialogue and action is a nightmare, turning the volume up in quieter parts means when it cuts to action it wakes the whole house!

I already have a Wii so I'm not sure I could justify have a PS3 too, pretty much everything I like is available on the 360.
  • Options
    mminolettimminoletti Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    I brought a Panasonic BD30 for £130 from ebay.
    Secondhand but hardly used. Great player and the picture is great.
    I'm not brothered about the blu-ray live bit which this doesn't have.
    But overall great player.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mminoletti wrote: »
    I brought a Panasonic BD30 for £130 from ebay.
    Secondhand but hardly used. Great player and the picture is great.
    I'm not brothered about the blu-ray live bit which this doesn't have.
    But overall great player.

Mine was £269 but it was brand new and multiregion for both dvd and Bluray
  • Options
    mminolettimminoletti Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    Thats the bit i don't have: Multi-Region for Blu-ray.
    Normal DVD yes already done.
    For this Blu-Ray player it would need to be chipped, on ebay £49 for chip. Or Blueraymods.com it's £69.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mminoletti wrote: »
    Thats the bit i don't have: Multi-Region for Blu-ray.
    Normal DVD yes already done.
    For this Blu-Ray player it would need to be chipped, on ebay £49 for chip. Or Blueraymods.com it's £69.

Thats not bad for Bluray chipping.
    But I believe the actual fitting is what makes up the bulk of the cost.

My player also has the ICOS mod
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jarrak wrote: »
    I assume rental is more on Blu-ray as well...
    Nope - the rental for blu-ray movies at Blockbuster is the same as for DVD movies. Picked up 4 for a tenner for 4 nights last week. Latest/recent titles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RobAnt wrote: »
    Nope - the rental for blu-ray movies at Blockbuster is the same as for DVD movies. Picked up 4 for a tenner for 4 nights last week. Latest/recent titles.

Yep klaeresource says the same which makes you wonder why there is still a premium for Blu-ray because I don't believe for one second Blockbuster and Lovefilm are absorbing the cost of Blu disks for rental:)
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    RobAnt wrote: »

Blockbuster's online rental system is much better. I get 4 DVDs a month (rent 2 at a time for unlimited number of days) and a free in store rental token. All for £7pm

All you do is make a list and they send them out 1st class.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I just ordered an LG BD370 Blu Ray player which has got very good reviews off Amazon for £130!:)