Options

Derren Brown: The Events (merged)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not great quality but it's now on youtube folks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQFGazBjyko
  • Options
    FoggerFogger Posts: 3,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unreal wrote: »
    What a load of crap. They could've pixelated the numbers on the balls and then unpixelated them one by one. Notice how he waited for the confirmation of the numbers. Notice how he held a pose. Notice he had a big ass piece of card for no reason. Notice how he feigned nervousness. Notice how he said no one was in the audience so they could'nt benefit..well the lottery stops at 7.30 so how could they.

Crap.

Notice not one word of any explanation! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    richy23richy23 Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Can't wait for Friday! :p:D

Love how in here everyone saying ''this is how he did it'' - and then others saying ''it wasn't that because....'' :p:D
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My comment about "he did nothing" was in response to people who were convinced that he had genuinely predicted the lottery numbers.

It was a slick illusion and I can't explain how he did it - but it was undoubtedly an illusion. I can't believe anyone would think otherwise.

Indeed. People seem to forget that in the adverts for these events, he's specifically referred to them as demonstrations of 'misdirection'.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cor what a mind bender!
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Triple-P wrote: »
    Remember He Had Two Cameras

One Close Up And One Longshot.

Ah, then that supports the split screen theory.
    When one camera is showing a split screen video image, somebody in view of the other camera can just place the new balls there, and then they switch cameras back again to the real image just as Derren reveals the balls.

All you need is one break between cameras to perform the action.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    I think camera trickery is far too easy an explanation, otherwise it would have been done long ago. I think that more outside the box thinking is needed (and I'm someone who's always been a bit unimpressed by the fella up until this point). However, I have no idea how he did it...looking forward to seeing what he has to say on Friday.

There will be a lot of disappointment if it was technical fakery...I somehow don't think he's willing to risk his career and reputation that much.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a theory on how he did it. As we were all watching C4 (presumably) and the audio/video were quite bad on his little tv, he merely said the wrong numbers after reordering them. Eg the numbers may have come out 35, 25, 4, 8, 13, but when he reordered he just inserted his numbers. I dont have the actual results to check against, but I'll happily be proved wrong.

Wrong, the numbers he read out and had on the balls were the correct numbers.

2 11 23 28 35 39
  • Options
    funkycubfunkycub Posts: 9,358
    Forum Member
    It was always going to work because you don't launch a series with a floored trick and then have a show two days later about how it was done if it was never going to work.

The card he wrote on printed the balls!! :p I am sticking with that because I have no idea otherwise and frankly waiting isn't one of my virtues. If I feel I haven't got it tonight, I won't sleep so best to let me think I HAVE worked it out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he would have gained more cred with me had his whole body facing the camera. Didnt like the fact you couldnt see his whole right side while he was semi facing the tv
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Examinus wrote: »
    When has he ever used TV to his advantage? I can never remember him taking advantage of camera tricks and sneaky cuts.

The Tardis trick.

It may even be up on youtube.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah it's obvious how he does it on that youtube video. :)

Edit: Ah maybe not.
  • Options
    Froggie72Froggie72 Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    if it's a green screen / lcd screen type of trickery, there's no way "we can do it too"! It also looks like labels stuck on the balls rather than any kind of lcd screen... :confused: Can't wait for Friday! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, then that supports the split screen theory.
    When one camera is showing a split screen video image, somebody in view of the other camera can just place the new balls there, and then they switch cameras back again to the real image just as Derren reveals the balls.

All you need is one break between cameras to perform the action.

Yeah. Notice he introduced the second camera but there were no subsequent long shots.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    There must be a way these days to overlay a still using pin points so that the still will stay in line with a moving camera shot ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Froggie72 wrote: »
    Problem is if WE all learn from him how to do it we will all be winning the lottery and surely that's not going to happen! ;)

No. all we'll be learning is how to put the numbers on the balls AFTER they've been announced.
  • Options
    crakecrake Posts: 1,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he gave away c aclue when he said that it had taken a year to plan. I'm thinking there must be some kind of brute force method that no one in their right mind would attempt.

This had better be good!
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know he isn't actually going to tell us how he did it on Friday, right?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone's making the assumption that the wednesday lotto is really live when I doubt very much that it is. Derren's studio could have literally been a couple of doors down from the lotto studio and the cameraman could have done bith shows. There was no proof that we were watching the live transmission of the lotto (no bbc one ident for example). It really isn't that hard to fake
  • Options
    Nicola37Nicola37 Posts: 2,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm well interesting we all know hes a master at illusions and stuff, my mum was like no ****ing way he CAN'T predict the lottery, he just can't!
    Well no but I'm still 100% convinced there's more to it then camera trickery and screen freezes.

For a start the 'reveal' programme is on for one hour on Friday, is he really just going to stand there and say hey it was all a trick done with elaborate cameras and freeze framing techniques, fooled you!" It's not really going to take an hour is it? No it has to be more elaborate than that surely.

I'm sure there were lots of clues in there I know I was studying everything from the backgrounds, I think he was deliberately talking fast to appear nervous as well. There is absolutely no doubt the white balls were on screen the whole time.

It's the 'You can do it too" line that gets me, a bluff or is this really an illusion you can do yourself? Either way I predict it will be the talk of households and offices until Friday and will be viewed intently on youtube for hours on end.:D
  • Options
    Shirt SlicerShirt Slicer Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think one person in this thread has got it.

1) Camera trickery and other digital-enhancement nonesense is not what DB does, ever. It's always cunningly simple.

2) He filmed himself, replayed it, got back into the same exact position, then unpaused it? F*ck off, that's even more proposterous than 'its real magic', there would have been a clear jump, unless he was utterly perfect at getting back into the same spot.

I have a theory on how he did it. As we were all watching C4 (presumably) and the audio/video were quite bad on his little tv, he merely said the wrong numbers after reordering them. Eg the numbers may have come out 35, 25, 4, 8, 13, but when he reordered he just inserted his numbers. I dont have the actual results to check against, but I'll happily be proved wrong.

I WAS RIGHT!! Watch the youtube clip posted, he changes the numbers :D I win :D

He obviously got lucky with a few (2, etc) probably popular numbers, then he bullshit the others (35, 39 when it was actually 55 and 59 that came out). Still strange though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    You know he isn't actually going to tell us how he did it on Friday, right?

Exactly the point I tried to make. Of COURSE he wont.
  • Options
    One UnitedOne United Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday's show is an hour long. If it was a camera trick, the show wouldn't last that long. A lot of preparation went into this and we'll all see that when he reveals what he did on Friday's show. It's not something people will be able to copy because too much work is involved.

Friday's show will be interesting but you won't come away from it thinking, 'Oh, now I can go and win the lottery'.
  • Options
    crakecrake Posts: 1,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Egg Crisis wrote: »
    No. all we'll be learning is how to put the numbers on the balls AFTER they've been announced.

Of course he could have done it this way, but why would he? Career suicide.
This discussion has been closed.