Options

Derren Brown: The Events (merged)

Comments

• Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    How many combinations are there?

Is it possible he could have pre-recorded a show for every possible outcome (over the course of the year) then just made sure the right video out of the thousands he made, was shown?

He then would simply have to splice the live tv broadcast on bbc1 up to his pre-recorded video.

Just the 13,983,816 possible combinations :eek:

A years work. :eek:
  • Options
    kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have solved it, everyone read my post above then watch the Youtube clip. He changed the numbers when he reordered them.

Where exactly does he change the numbers??
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lottery Numbers: 23 55 11 28 39 2

Derrens: 2, 11, 23, 28, 35, 39

I was right.

If 55 came out the machine, then they've conned every single person that bought a lottery ticket.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It MUST be done in this way -

Everything we are told is complete bullshit, including him showing us one handheld camera and another longshot, it's just misdirection. The longshot is there so there can be a cut from it back to ANOTHER camera (not the handheld one) that is fixed and its movement is digitally simulated (this is used in film and TV all the time).

The TV is greenscreened in, the balls stand side is pre-recorded (not frozen, just filmed as it stands there), as the draw is being done someone puts the correct balls in but we can't see it because the image we are seeing is pre-recorded. They need to be EXTREMELY careful not to move the stand at all. Derren doesn't speak because they need to turn the volume down otherwise WE WOULD HEAR THE AUDIO OF THE BALLS BEING SWAPPED!!

When the draw finishes the image cuts back to realtime just in time for Derren to walk across the point where the split was, turn the stand around and voila the correct numbers. Seemples.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    I didn't watch the start of tonight's show (I'll catch it on +1) but if those balls he had chosen had been pre-selected in advance of the draw, they'd have made them the correct colour if possible to make it look like a better trick. That YouTube clip also had far too many breaks for my liking so I'll wait until I see it on C4+1 to see if it is any more convincing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kryskrys wrote: »
    Where does he change the numbers??

He doesn't. He just reorders them but they're the same numbers.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The theory about the ball stand being a frozen image was my first thought, but I don't think it would have been possible to maintain such an illusion with the shaky camerawork.

And as people have said, the camera trickery thing isn't really his style.

Video image, not a frozen image.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YES OK there are only 49 balls. I think the fella has been admonished enough!
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we're all looking forward to Shirt Slicers explanation of 55...
  • Options
    Shirt SlicerShirt Slicer Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to go to specsavers. At 1:41 on that video it clearly says 23 35 11 28 39

OH whaaaaat. This is so strange. It seems I somehow convinced myself it was 55 and 59, when it wasn't. I'm still hearing it whenever I watch the video again. How weird.

Either way the camera trickery explanations are nonsense.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    How many combinations are there?

Is it possible he could have pre-recorded a show for every possible outcome (over the course of the year) then just made sure the right video out of the thousands he made, was shown?

He then would simply have to splice the live tv broadcast on bbc1 up to his pre-recorded video.

But the odds of actually matching all 6 numbers are 1 in 13.9 million! You're not seriously suggesting he recorded 13.9 million videos!

I really hope there is a statistical method behind this system, and it isn't just TV fakery... what a let down that would be.

I'd be happy if it was magical misdirection, slight of hand and illusion, because it was done very slickly... but if it is downright fakery, that would be rubbish!
  • Options
    Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Very good illusion. Rewound it a few times, still can't work it out, as mentioned there were no cuts, the balls were on screen the whole time, there was no opportunity for any slight-of-hand, the plinth was perspex so there wasn't anything coming up from below, and there was constant camera movement making a split-screen unlikely. Haven't got a clue how he did it!

Whatever the explanation is on Friday will probably have nothing to do with what he realy did (there's zero chance it could have anything to do with probability or a system), but I'm sure it'll be a great show anyway!
  • Options
    crakecrake Posts: 1,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Everything we are told is complete bullshit, including him showing us one handheld camera and another longshot, it's just misdirection. The longshot is there so there can be a cut from it back to ANOTHER camera (not the handheld one) that is fixed and its movement is digitally simulated (this is used in film and TV all the time).

The TV is greenscreened in, the balls stand side is pre-recorded (not frozen, just filmed as it stands there), as the draw is being done someone puts the correct balls in but we can't see it because the image we are seeing is pre-recorded. They need to be EXTREMELY careful not to move the stand at all. Derren doesn't speak BECAUSE WE WOULD HEAR THE AUDIO OF THE BALLS BEING SWAPPED!!

When the draw finishes the image cuts back to realtime just in time for Derren to walk across the point where the split was, turn the stand around and voila the correct numbers. Seemples.

No one is saying that this couldn't be done with camera trickery. The question is: why bother? If that is all he has, he'll look like a fool.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Erm NO. That would take a ridiculous amount of time and Derren is far too busy to do that.

He did say it was a year of his life, so it's possible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Video image, not a frozen image.

Yeah, I corrected myself later on. A frozen image would have been too easy to detect.

Would there really have been any need to green screen the TV though? I wouldn't have thought so.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Eg the numbers may have come out 35, 25, 4, 8, 13, but when he reordered he just inserted his numbers. I dont have the actual results to check against, but I'll happily be proved wrong.

that is something that is very derren brown esque. I agree that it might be something in that vein
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    I WAS RIGHT!! Watch the youtube clip posted, he changes the numbers :D I win :D

He obviously got lucky with a few (2, etc) probably popular numbers, then he bullshit the others (35, 39 when it was actually 55 and 59 that came out). Still strange though.
    Are you serious? Do you honestly think he just guessed the numbers and got "lucky"?

Anyway, he got the numbers right. Obviously. You can check here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    Use a laser in the studio to burn the numbers on to the balls.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is how I think its done:

Right side of the screen is live, left is still and a static pic, the numbers are written on the balls then the whole picture goes live for him to reveal the balls.

On Firday the second camera will show this.

Simple if you think about it, well kind of.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont get all this "it's not his style".

He's an illusionist. His job is to misdirect people. He is brilliant at it. If he has you thinking it's not his style he is doing his job very very well.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok a few observations, I don't know how he did it but here are some observations:

+ Camera was far too shakey, this was intentional, not sure why
    + Studio had no audience, why? It could have easily had one
    + When Derren was watching the draw he was very vague about the whole thing. He was very "Erm ok here comes.." etc. He also didn't announce when each ball came down the slot or announce the numbers as they arrived, he only did that at the end
    + The back wall seems to get lighter suddenly as he walks from the TV to the stand, could be a camera light perhaps

My guess is the footage of him infront of the TV was pre-recorded, he acted as if he was watching the draw live, but he wasn't. They then added the BBC 1 footage onto the TV using green screen technology, easily done.

While we were watching the pre-recorded footage of DB watching the "draw", he was busy putting the right balls in the holder and doing his card.

Then somehow they have cut from the pre-recorded footage to live footage where he is holding the card with the numbers and the balls are ready.

If you watch him writing the numbers I don't think he is actually writing the real numbers, he is just making strokes on the card.

What I can't work out is when they cut the footage.
  • Options
    willo30willo30 Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    The clue was in the statement that he could not give the result before the bbc meaning that the draw had already taken place and he had the exact numbers on the balls.
  • Options
    RyanC1992RyanC1992 Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well thats another thought I had, perhaps the TV screen was a greenscreen and they added the footage of the draw to previously recorded footage of Derren watching the TV and acting as if he was watching the draw.

Did Derren mention anything that was taking place? If I recall he just said "The draw master" or something, he didn't say anything like "Nice pants" for example.

Then once the draw is complete, they switch from the pre recorded footage to Derren walking over to the balls.

I'm thinking thats the best suggestion so far, although it was an impressive green screen technique if thats how he did it.

Nope, he mentioned the white glove, and when Dream Number ended, so he was obviously watching the live stream
  • Options
    funkycubfunkycub Posts: 9,358
    Forum Member

The TV is greenscreened in, the balls stand side is pre-recorded (not frozen, just filmed as it stands there), as the draw is being done someone puts the correct balls in but we can't see it because the image we are seeing is pre-recorded. They need to be EXTREMELY careful not to move the stand at all. Derren doesn't speak because they need to turn the volume down otherwise WE WOULD HEAR THE AUDIO OF THE BALLS BEING SWAPPED!!

But how do we do that at home>>>>??????
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crake wrote: »
    Of course he could have done it this way, but why would he? Career suicide.

Of course he put the numbers on after they were announced, he's not a genuine psychic!
This discussion has been closed.