Options

Rubbish seaside resorts

Comments

• Options
    LilaLila Posts: 6,780
    Forum Member
    You_mo wrote: »
    There's a place called Saltcoats that's in Ayrshire that a lot of Glasgow folk have caravans. You need a body guard to walk around at night. It was even featured on TV on Britain's Worst Seaside Towns.

Yes and it was a load of rubbish.

I am not the town's biggest fan but I managed to live there for over 20 years without being murdered.
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :( I have great childhood memories of Margate. What a shame.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    Margate is a dump. I went there some years ago and was shocked at the place. Everything is run down and it's got a bit of a wild west town feel to it. I'm not in a hurry to go back. There really isn't anything there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My vote goes to Frinton on sea, For many years the only seaside resort in the UK where you was unable to buy a pint of beer :eek:
  • Options
    Fancy pantsFancy pants Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    summerain wrote: »
    Surprised Weston-Super-Mare/Mud isn't on that list, they must be awful if they're dirtier than WSM :eek:
    :eek: There's worse places than Weston Super Mare!

Half a Bee wrote: »
    My vote goes to Frinton on sea, For many years the only seaside resort in the UK where you was unable to buy a pint of beer :eek:

I love Frinton-On-Sea! I also like Walton-On-The-Naze too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    :eek: There's worse places than Weston Super Mare!

Weston isn't too bad, but the beach itself is filthy!
  • Options
    semimintedsemiminted Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm curious to know people's opinions on the towns of Barmouth, Tywyn etc. Anyone been here? What do you like about them?

sorry post duplicated somehow?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm curious to know people's opinions on the towns of Barmouth, Tywyn etc. Anyone been here? What do you like about them?

barmouth has some beautiful scenery

the town is just passable, has a small fair, good for young kids

main store is a co-op, iceland and loads of cheap shops in the style of pound ones

but beach is long with some sand dunes.

around the harbour is quaint, some good restaurants there..........prone to be windy on the front

overall, lovely bit of welsh coast

i do wonder what job prospects there are tho', as Barmouth is out on its own and away from other towns
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    I live in Weymouth, and I think its quite nice as seaside towns go. I work in a Holiday Park and never really hear people saying bad things about it, only good really :)
    There are parts that are really out of date, but most of it's nice :)
  • Options
    Lego PigLego Pig Posts: 2,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun_Beam wrote: »
    I can imagine sleeping was a nightmare, so I can understand how you feel that way. Can I ask - where have you moved to now? We go there for a drive, do some shopping in town, and to generally have nice walks around the harbour, and on the beach. I'm not keen on the fair in general, so just eat the wicked donuts and have an ice cream! :D

I am only living in Bridgend now in Brackla, my mother still live down there so I still go down at times. And I do enjoy an early morning jog from the fair all away around the prom down rest bay right around back to the sand dunes over newton and back home across the beaches.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lived in Morecambe in the 90's.... f*****g hovel! Cant imagine what another 20 yrs of neglect have done to it!!:eek:

I also have to visit St.Leonards on Sea occasionally- total shithole!:eek:
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Never been to Tywyn, and the only thing I remember about Barmouth, is the long concrete promenade, and the densely forested hill in the background, when you looked back away from the sea.
  • Options
    parsleyisfunparsleyisfun Posts: 4,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    semiminted wrote: »
    barmouth has some beautiful scenery

the town is just passable, has a small fair, good for young kids

main store is a co-op, iceland and loads of cheap shops in the style of pound ones

but beach is long with some sand dunes.

around the harbour is quaint, some good restaurants there..........prone to be windy on the front

overall, lovely bit of welsh coast

i do wonder what job prospects there are tho', as Barmouth is out on its own and away from other towns

Sorry, I didn't quite post it right - I live and work in the area lol, I was just wondering what others think of it from a tourist point of view :D

In the tourist season, it's so easy for us all to get holiday jobs, particularly if you're young and a girl - many places don't hire boys, but I'm not sure why. It's as busy as hell around here - well, busy for our standards - and bank holidays are hell, think trying to get anywhere at rush hour in a city and you've got Barmouth on a bank holiday :D - but in low season, or out of holidays, you're pretty stuck. But it means we all get a winter away from work if you have a job that's only worth doing in high season.
  • Options
    parsleyisfunparsleyisfun Posts: 4,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Never been to Tywyn, and the only thing I remember about Barmouth, is the long concrete promenade, and the densely forested hill in the background, when you looked back away from the sea.

It's lovely - it's called Panorama Hill. It's beautiful - in the summer, you have the sea and beach, and then a bustling town, and then a foresty hill :) beautiful.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's lovely - it's called Panorama Hill. It's beautiful - in the summer, you have the sea and beach, and then a bustling town, and then a foresty hill :) beautiful.

Oh absolutely. If I'd had the time, I'd have investigated it more closely, but we were just passing through, unfortunately.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I didn't quite post it right - I live and work in the area lol, I was just wondering what others think of it from a tourist point of view :D

In the tourist season, it's so easy for us all to get holiday jobs, particularly if you're young and a girl - many places don't hire boys, but I'm not sure why. It's as busy as hell around here - well, busy for our standards - and bank holidays are hell, think trying to get anywhere at rush hour in a city and you've got Barmouth on a bank holiday :D - but in low season, or out of holidays, you're pretty stuck. But it means we all get a winter away from work if you have a job that's only worth doing in high season.

oh! :o

hope my description was ok

the harbour chip bar is one of the best.....he closes for about 5 months out of season !!

thats what i mean about the place tho', how do you support yourself and family on that ?
  • Options
    CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJ Marlowe wrote: »
    Margate is a dump. I went there some years ago and was shocked at the place. Everything is run down and it's got a bit of a wild west town feel to it. I'm not in a hurry to go back. There really isn't anything there.

Nothing there?? Dreamland? The Arcades?? Sheesh, there's just no pleasing some folk. ;)

I grew up there and yes it is a bit of a dump, but its like lots o f places, it has its nice parts beyond the beach where everyone goes on a day out. The beach is excellent by the way.

rive a few miles round the coastal road and there are loads of nice bays and coves, not to mention some footballer style mock tudor mansions. :)
  • Options
    MisoSoupMisoSoup Posts: 14,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just read the thread on Blackpool. Used to have some great laughs there in the 80s.

What is the worst seaside resort in the country? At risk of offending somebody I would say Mablethorpe - I saw a chav crossing the road with a vest top, shorts, flip flops on and a tag round his ankle.

Saw your username, saw your thead title, TOTALLY expected your opening post to be about Skegness
  • Options
    Berties AssettsBerties Assetts Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye right, its a dirty hovel frequented by the numerous councillors of the ruling administration for their dirty little deals and sexual shenanigans,nice residents but the streets are dirty, full of ignorant chavs with drug habits.
  • Options
    GrumpyshysterGrumpyshyster Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Herne Bay, give it a miss.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bognor has been rundown for years! I don't know why it gets listed as a resort at all.

Southport is quite a nice place but as a seaside resort....what sea? You need a pair of binoculars to see the sea or take a minibus down to the water's edge to dip your toe in it.

Formby beach is full of condoms and glass.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    Nothing there?? Dreamland? The Arcades?? Sheesh, there's just no pleasing some folk. ;)

I went to Dreamland and wasn't impressed. Most of the rides weren't even working and the whole site looked really neglected.

And if you aren't such a fan of fairground rides or arcades, there really isn't much to do in Margate.

Not trying to say that Margate is worse than the majority of seaside resorts, mind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    sean near hartlepool , talk about tumbleweed central :eek:
  • Options
    TodemesneTodemesne Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    CJ Marlowe wrote: »
    I went to Dreamland and wasn't impressed. Most of the rides weren't even working and the whole site looked really neglected.

And if you aren't such a fan of fairground rides or arcades, there really isn't much to do in Margate.

Not trying to say that Margate is worse than the majority of seaside resorts, mind.

I used to love going to Dreamland as a kid in the 70s. Don't know when you last visited but the whole site has been cleared, apart from the Scenic Railway which is a listed structure.

Dreamland

Actually that's an old picture. A developer wanted to build housing on the site and the old Scenic Railway mysteriously caught fire. :rolleyes:

Scenic Railway on fire
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The scream wrote: »
    Withernsea! It made me cry, and not out of joy either:(
    Yes!
    I'm with you on that one!