Options

HD Content on BT Vision

Hello all, i currently have Sky HD including phone/internet but i am thinking about getting rid completely and going to BT vision (saving me about £800 over the next 18 months towards a wedding) but before i make the jump I'd like to know how much on demand stuff is in HD - i really like the better quality and am willing to wait for the download before watching.
is it just a few new films or has the library really gone big on HD?

Comments

• Options
    betsvigi9betsvigi9 Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Dessyoxo wrote: »
    Hello all, i currently have Sky HD including phone/internet but i am thinking about getting rid completely and going to BT vision (saving me about £800 over the next 18 months towards a wedding) but before i make the jump I'd like to know how much on demand stuff is in HD - i really like the better quality and am willing to wait for the download before watching.

There is only limited HD content on BT Vision, a few films and some nature programmes and you have to pay extra to watch them. If you particularly want HD, then you might be better of going for freesat, at least until there are some HD channels on Freeview. However, the picture quality of the On Demand stuff on Vision is very good, but Vision is not really an HD service, at least not yet anyway. I would guess it will be a couple of years before there is any serious HD on BT Vision.
  • Options
    MatterhornMatterhorn Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BTV is definitely NOT the place for HD, in fact looking on my system there are 6 HD films....of which one is Jurassic Park! and the only HD TV I can find is the Top Gear Polar special.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys, i guess i have to decide if i want HD or not before taking the jump to BT Vision and give up sky HD
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Planet Earth is in HD thats the only HD content ive watched. It seems though that most of the little HD content is released on alot of platforms sumultaneously. For example BTVision, Virgin, XBOX360. I don't see why there isnt more variety cross platform
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    seems Steve3 post doesn't appear. - edit does now. cookie issue my end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    steveq3 wrote: »
    Planet Earth is in HD thats the only HD content ive watched. It seems though that most of the little HD content is released on alot of platforms sumultaneously. For example BTVision, Virgin, XBOX360. I don't see why there isnt more variety cross platform

Agreed.

seems to be a limit on HD films they show too. never more than 5

for a brief seccond we had six.

but but because Watchmen arrived, Madagascar had to go.

I also feel HD is very hard to find.

Film > most watched > HD

and

TV > Find a program I think > HD (its at the very bottom of the list!)

What I'd like to see is since the ESPN football match is also shot in HD; can't we have it in HD on ESPN replay?

I feel there should be a main < HD > section at the top and say it lists:

Downloaded
    Scheduled Downloads
    Sport
    TV
    Film
    HD Tools

in HD tools you'd find say a Test Screen, the dolby digital test, and say a BT video on how to set HD up.

i just feel HD content isn't being pushed enough. and I think an extra pack of £5 on top of any value pack could be enough to include all HD content as part of the system. except for films.

Also feel ESPN should be added to the replay category too since it is doing replay shows.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys, i guess i have to decide if i want HD or not before taking the jump to BT Vision and give up sky HD

Don't jump too soon m'boy, why don't you phone sky and see if they can help you out without losing proper hd
  • Options
    wwwebberwwwebber Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't jump too soon m'boy, why don't you phone sky and see if they can help you out without losing proper hd

Proper HD by the way is uncompressed 1080p which Sky doesnt support.
  • Options
    gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    wwwebber wrote: »
    Proper HD by the way is uncompressed 1080p which Sky doesnt support.

Yes, you'll only find "proper" (full) HD on Blu-Ray for now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gamercraig wrote: »
    Yes, you'll only find "proper" (full) HD on Blu-Ray for now.

Quite right. Which is why my Lovefilm account gets alot of use ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On that point doesn't BT Vision output its content at 1080i?

I can't remember what BT outputs its HD content at. i know the box goes upto 1080i. (ive set it to 720p - the UI seems smoother to me on that)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On that point doesn't BT Vision output its content at 1080i?

I can't remember what BT outputs its HD content at. i know the box goes upto 1080i. (ive set it to 720p - the UI seems smoother to me on that)

Yes, mine is set at 1080i without any issue. I am pretty sure that the HD content is 1080i anyway but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    wwwebber wrote: »
    Yes, mine is set at 1080i without any issue. I am pretty sure that the HD content is 1080i anyway but I could be wrong.

I could be wrong but I think most of the content is 1080i but some could be 720p, but upscaled to 1080i if your output is set as that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I could be wrong but I think most of the content is 1080i but some could be 720p, but upscaled to 1080i if your output is set as that

ahh right, still good tho.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member

Why not use your Sky HD box as freesat and enjoy the free HD? or better still get a Freesat HDR as I did,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I didn't realise that I could get HD through Freesat from Sky. Thanks, can I still record though?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't realise that I could get HD through Freesat from Sky. Thanks, can I still record though?

probably not. sky will likely charge for it. (recording that is)
  • Options
    johnson293johnson293 Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    probably not. sky will likely charge for it. (recording that is)

^ This. If you cancel Sky subs and go with 'Free Sat from Sky' a Sky+/Sky HD box becomes just a receiver, as the PVR functions are disabled - you can't record anything or even watch anything you have recorded on the Hard Disk.

However, you can pay £10/month to Sky and they will reinstate the PVR functionality. Not something I did when i cancelled my subs (as had BT Vision at the time) but have read of people who have.