Options

Why is it unacceptable to a lot of people.....

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
Forum Member
that I don't like dogs?

Before I explain I really don't want to turn this into to a dog vs cat thread.

I was at work today and in a group discussion about pets I said I don't like dogs, well it seems a lot of people find this unacceptable.

"How can you not like dogs? They are the best animals in the world?" "I bet you're a cat person, well I hate cats." "You must be cold hearted to not like dogs." Were some of the comments thrown at me from dog lovers.

Now I have heard these people and others say they hate cats, yes hate. Now I think hate is a pretty strong word to use, and I don't hate any animal including dogs. But it does seem that it is acceptable to say you hate cats, spiders, snakes etc etc But to say you don't like dogs is totally unacceptable to some people, they even judge you because of it. And don't even get me started on when I say I don't like kids.

Just wondering if anyone out there has noticed this or has reacted this way themselves when finding out someone doesn't like dogs? :)

Comments

• Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon it's a tribal thing, just like political parties, football teams or even which soap is best. People expect you to want to be part of the tribe, to comply and conform, and really don't quite understand it when someone doesn't.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose not liking dogs could show a trait in your character that people can't relate to. So they feel the need to criticise you because they resent that , possibly, less appealing side to you.
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the same with anything. If I go to the pets forum and say I don't like cats or the gaming forum and say I don't like the PS3 I'll get pretty much the same response.

It's just zealots doing what they do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never been a dog person. My OH isn't a cat person. So we go petless.

We've half considered fish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    smooze wrote: »
    I suppose not liking dogs could show a trait in your character that people can't relate to. So they feel the need to criticise you because they resent that , possibly, less appealing side to you.

I think you might be on to something there.
  • Options
    BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wouldn't bother me if somebody said that but I'd probably ask why, to establish whether it was because of a childhood incident, an allergy or you're just cold-hearted :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBTweets wrote: »
    It wouldn't bother me if somebody said that but I'd probably ask why, to establish whether it was because of a childhood incident, an allergy or you're just cold-hearted :D

I have my reasons, I will explain if people want me to but I think it could start a lot of arguments or a dog vs cat war.
  • Options
    SproggSprogg Posts: 16,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love dogs but only certain ones. I can see where the OP is coming from though. If you don't like them then fine. You're never going to get one are you?

I suppose it's similar to the reaction I get when I tell of the utter relief I felt when I ran over something when driving and realised it was a cat (as opposed to a child).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sprogg wrote: »
    I love dogs but only certain ones. I can see where the OP is coming from though. If you don't like them then fine. You're never going to get one are you?

I suppose it's similar to the reaction I get when I tell of the utter relief I felt when I ran over something when driving and realised it was a cat (as opposed to a child).

Cats are fast, that's gotta be worth 100 pts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    laura:) wrote: »
    I have my reasons, I will explain if people want me to but I think it could start a lot of arguments or a dog vs cat war.

You don't have to disclose your reasons on here. If I met you in RL I'd ask you because I've got two dogs so if I were to ever invite somebody around that didn't like dogs I'd prefer to know the reason. If you just didn't like them, I wouldn't put them out into the garden but if you had an allergy/phobia then I'd make sure they were out of the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sprogg wrote: »

Well I can understand being relieved it was a cat not a child, but I'd still be very upset that I killed the cat, I'd feel the same if it was a dog.
  • Options
    mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't base my perception of a person on whether they like dogs or not.

I like dogs, we had an incident with a dog that made me nervous of them for a while but that was because that dog was a psycho!!

I find it odd that people would judge so harshly on whether someone is a dog or cat person. Though it was funny where Chandler told everyone he didn't like dogs!!
  • Options
    SproggSprogg Posts: 16,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I can understand being relieved it was a cat not a child, but I'd still be very upset that I killed the cat, I'd feel the same if it was a dog.

Oh I wasn't pleased with myself, don't get me wrong. I think because I initially feared it was a child seeing that it was a cat was in a perverse way very relieving. Thankfully it didn't have an owner. I would have been unbelievably upset if my pet had been run over... but it happens, I didn't mean to do it. :o
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    You'd get the same reaction if you said you didn't like children, some people treat their pets like their own children I suppose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand people who don't like dogs. Unless it's allergy or bad experience based.
    otherwise they are clearly weirdos
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wench wrote: »
    You'd get the same reaction if you said you didn't like children, some people treat their pets like their own children I suppose.

I get even worse reactions when I say I don't like kids...

I don't hate them I just find them irritating and I don't generally like to be around them, but I understand we were all kids once and I'm not one of these people who think kids should be seen and not heard. I just find them irritating a lot of the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    It's the same with anything. If I go to the pets forum and say I don't like cats or the gaming forum and say I don't like the PS3 I'll get pretty much the same response.

It's just zealots doing what they do.

Hmm, i'm all for free speech, but to actively seek out dedicated forums to say that on...

Could argue it's just trolls doing what they do
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wench wrote: »

Good point Wench.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that I don't like dogs?

Before I explain I really don't want to turn this into to a dog vs cat thread.

I was at work today and in a group discussion about pets I said I don't like dogs, well it seems a lot of people find this unacceptable.

"How can you not like dogs? They are the best animals in the world?" "I bet you're a cat person, well I hate cats." "You must be cold hearted to not like dogs." Were some of the comments thrown at me from dog lovers.

Now I have heard these people and others say they hate cats, yes hate. Now I think hate is a pretty strong word to use, and I don't hate any animal including dogs. But it does seem that it is acceptable to say you hate cats, spiders, snakes etc etc But to say you don't like dogs is totally unacceptable to some people, they even judge you because of it. And don't even get me started on when I say I don't like kids.

Just wondering if anyone out there has noticed this or has reacted this way themselves when finding out someone doesn't like dogs? :)

I feel your pain OP. I don't mind dogs but I'm actually quite scared of ones I don't know. In my experience dog owners are very naive and simply won't accept that you could be scared of their pet as it's leaping up at you ("oh, he's only playing"). I'm sure it's not going to bite my face off but it's hardly the most comfortable behaviour, especially if a) you're not used to them and b) you've had bad experiences with dogs in the past (my neighbours used to keep savage alsations and let them run loose in the neighbourhood).
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    I get even worse reactions when I say I don't like kids...

I don't hate them I just find them irritating and I don't generally like to be around them, but I understand we were all kids once and I'm not one of these people who think kids should be seen and not heard. I just find them irritating a lot of the time.

You and me both ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rmpc77 wrote: »
    Hmm, i'm all for free speech, but to actively seek out dedicated forums to say that on...

Could argue it's just trolls doing what they do

The pets forum is not dedicated to cats and the gaming forum is not dedicated to the PS3 so both of those could be valid, non troll comments in my opinion.

I haven't done either of them by the way, just making a point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FluffyEgg wrote: »
    I don't understand people who don't like dogs. Unless it's allergy or bad experience based.

See what I mean ^^^
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    My mum's terrified of dogs and the fear has been passed onto me. I find it funny when people think their dog will 'cure' me. The number of time I have heard; "Oh, you'll love my dog, you'll never be scared of them again"!

I'm the irritating guest which needs all dogs to be put away before they arrive :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like some dogs but I like other dogs - it depends on the dogs personality.:)

Oh, I don't think it's unacceptable that you don't like dogs - there is not a law or anything stating folk must like dogs.
  • Options
    Lonely BoyLonely Boy Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    FluffyEgg wrote: »

I don't hate dogs, but at the same time I don't care for them either. Does that make me a weirdo?

I happen to value not having their crap around my nice back garden and inside my home also.:)

How anyone can compare having one to having a child is bonkers?