House Spiders

124»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a huge, irrational fear of spiders and I wish I didn't :(

I am so conscious of passing it onto my children, try really hard not to, bu think I'm failing. My toddler daughter in particular is also terrified of them (and they're the only thing she's scared of too!)

My husband works away and I am horrified by the thought of finding one in our bedroom while he's not here... Burglars etc don't even enter my thoughts, my mind is too consumed with spiders! It's ridiculous but I don't know how to change.

Anyway, about this citronella stuff. Do you dilute it with something and just spray it into the air? How often? Or do you you spray it AT spiders. Any info gratefully welcomed, thank you :)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »
    Allow me a whinge. How bloody big and horrible are these things? That's rhetorical by the way. And is it the season for them or something? My god, we've had heaps in the house, they're usually in the kitchen really early in the morning when we get up for work. There was a very big one there this morning so I just grabbed my coffee and left. :o

Now I know I'm from the land of big and dangerous spiders but I swear I never had so many spiders actually in the house until I lived here.

I don't worry about spiders so much now - after living in Australia for 4 years and some of the monsters I saw when I lived there, the spiders here don't worry me in the least - I just leave them alone, unless they are on the ceiling and then I catch them and put them outside. I quite like them actually.:)

Some huge boofer spiders I had to catch in Australia - massive things the size of my hand and bigger. I think I got desensitised.
  • Options
    loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,319
    Forum Member
    Found this bastard in our hall earlier this year: http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8640/dsci0241z.jpg

Complete with spider poo.

I hate them too, just took the pic (from a great distance) while waiting for someone to get rid of it.
  • Options
    Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to hate spiders, I'd stamp on them or at the very least throw them out of a window.

Since my girlfrield bought a few tarantulas I figured I should accept house spiders as quite lame, inoffensive creatures. Now I just let the skunk chase them.
  • Options
    macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found this bastard in our hall earlier this year: http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8640/dsci0241z.jpg

Complete with spider poo.

I hate them too, just took the pic (from a great distance) while waiting for someone to get rid of it.

Good Grief :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    macca@90 wrote: »

Thats what i thought..Lets not go to Sussex..lol
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Cue posting of infamous Clock Spider:

http://deepsquats.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/clockspider.jpg

Every few summers we get a bunch of tarantulas marching through our backyard. They're nothing compared to the Arizona Bark Scorpion. From wikipedia:
    While nearly all scorpions are solitary, the Arizona bark scorpion is a rare exception: during winter, packs of 20 to 30 scorpions can congregate.

Bark scorpions practice negative geotaxis, preferring an upside down orientation, which often results in people being stung due to the scorpion being on the underside of an object.
  • Options
    The screamThe scream Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poor, poor house spiders they get such bad press.
    I am a house spider friendly house.
    Even have one that lives in the bog, have named her and everying.
    they are rather cute when you lok at 'em close enough, and has no one read 'Charlottes web' for gods sake!!!
  • Options
    tomorrowtomorrow Posts: 32,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diddygirl wrote: »
    I had a money spider crawl over me today....is it not supposed to be lucky if that happens?

tut tut ... don't you know that little money spiders are just baby spiders, waiting to grow HUGE !!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    Cue posting of infamous Clock Spider:

http://deepsquats.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/clockspider.jpg

Every few summers we get a bunch of tarantulas marching through our backyard. They're nothing compared to the Arizona Bark Scorpion. From wikipedia:

Good grief! That is scary looking! Whoever took the clock off the wall was brave! It's too big to suck up a vacuum too. The weird thing is although I fear them I find I am drawn to look at them in photos and zoo visits. Only when I am safe from them physically touching me. It's weird.

If I saw that thing in my house, i'd run a mile!
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We keep getting these really horrible ones this year. They have really fat bodies and stumpy little legs.
    I think you'll find those are Oompa-Loompas, not spiders.
  • Options
    nemesisisnemesisis Posts: 6,178
    Forum Member
    I hate spiders and so does my mum when I visited on monday she said there was a huge one running across the floor on saturday so she dropped an argos catalogue on it and the catalogue was still there in the middle of the kitchen floor so I (trying to be brave as sadly we have lost dad who always dealt with them ) lifted it up and dam there was no dead spider so it had escaped poor mum's face she now shares her house with a huge spider that could dart out at anytime prob when she is watching strictly on sat so although he thinks we are nuts my brother has promised to go round and catch it.
  • Options
    doughnut8doughnut8 Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like some others here I have this irrational fear of spiders (from my parents no doubt!) and when I was younger I thought nothing of killing them. As I have grew older and wiser and gained a deep respect for life in all its forms, but I still have the 'Ahhhh spider' feeling when I see one. So I catch it and put it in the garden.

:D
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh goody
    i now have two in my room, as i've just seen one scamper from under my chair ..... to under my computer screen cabinet

woop
    e
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I don't bother doing anything unless they come into my room, then unfortunately it's the end of their life.

I can handle them fine but I fear that they'll crawl on me in the night. They obviously won't do anything but I think it stems back to when I was a bit younger and I woke up to a spider dangling from the ceiling about 10 cm away from my face. Because I was tired and just woke up it appeared worse than it actually was.

I once came across a MASSIVE (yeah, huge hence the caps! :p) one and when anyone went near it it kind of braced, pushed it's body up and bounced on it's legs over and over again. Creepy!
  • Options
    KFAKFA Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macca@90 wrote: »

Why the f**k did i click that! :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    KFA wrote: »
    Why the f**k did i click that! :eek:

Surely if it was real then it would have moved when the clock was moved? I don't know any insect which remains still when something touches it.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Ber wrote: »
    I left a mug on the coffee table last night, got up this morning and a spider had made a web on it! :D

Hah, we had this annoying spider who would make a web across our back door. You'd go outside and freak out because you had a face full of web. Any onlookers would probably think we were on LSD. Freaking out over something they couldn't see.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    Hah, we had this annoying spider who would make a web across our back door. You'd go outside and freak out because you had a face full of web. Any onlookers would probably think we were on LSD. Freaking out over something they couldn't see.

we got some crazy mofos in our back garden ..... one's made some webbing from the lawnmower TO THE CLOTHESLINE!!!!
    and yes i did walk into it :eek:

and i even saw a spider climbing from the clothesline TO THE FREAKING FIRST FLOOR WINDOW!!!!!!!!!

THEY'RE MENTAL MAN :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    The reason for so many this time of year is because it's getting colder outside so they like to come in to our nice warm homes. I don't like them either but I won't kill them because they can't help looking scary and they do eat the flies after all :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the only ones I always move on are the large bedroom variety that sit on the ceiling just above my pillow. If you turn out the light you just KNOW they are waiting.
  • Options
    CythnaCythna Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then the finger of blame would be pointed firmly at you for the mass increase of house spiders this year!! :D

Ah, my daftness then. I hoovered this thing up, switched the hoover off as soon as it was out of sight and then next thing I know it's come back out to say hello :eek:
    Is it just me or is everyone else constantly checking round the room every minute?? My feet haven't touched the floor since opening this thread!!

LOL! I've just had to buy a new vaccum cleaner, and I made sure it was one with a bag. My sister in law told me that she vaccumed up a spider with her Dyson, and she could see it in the dust cylinder walking around bold as brass. The horror! The horror!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just took this photo one of our pet spiders.
    http://www.pixel-bank.co.uk/members/1/0/spider%20002.jpg
    (not for people who hate spiders)

This IS in a glass case, as it's one of those angry mean ones, not the cuddly ones.
  • Options
    MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    Pugwash69 wrote: »
    Just took this photo one of our pet spiders.
    http://www.pixel-bank.co.uk/members/1/0/spider%20002.jpg
    (not for people who hate spiders)

This IS in a glass case, as it's one of those angry mean ones, not the cuddly ones.

Ooh, is that a Chilean Rose? I used to have one, which I bought to overcome my fear of spiders. It didn't work as I have no problem with tarantulas but am still petrified of spindly-legged house spiders :eek:.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I have got my swot ready incase i see one again..but i havent seen one yet :D