Options

Can anyone recommend me a Digital Camera

lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just a quick question,

I'm looking to buy myself a Digital Camera tomorrow so I can easily take pictures and maybe even video and transfer them to my computer, and anyone recommend me the cheapest and best out there? I know nothing about them or any of the best choices around. :o:confused:

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    clevergirl1clevergirl1 Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    What sort of budget are you thinking of they range massively in price
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Samsung is your best bet IMO, they're really good and relatively inexpensive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    I got a Sony cybershot about a year ago and am really disappointed with it. I know my stuff, photographically speaking, and found that it misses focus constantly, even on still subjects (instead of focusing on the subject closest to the camera, it will often focus on the background... so I have a blurry face but a nice sharp wall behind them!). It also overexposes quite a lot and instead of allowing me to choose when I want to put the flash on, it bumps up the ISO giving grainy pictures.

If I had the chance I'd replace it and get a Canon Ixus with IS (Image Stabilizer)... but of course, they cost a bit and I didn't want to pay too much because I've got an SLR. My folks have got an old Kodak one that's much better than my Cybershot.

Don't worry about megapixels unless you're going to be printing above about A3 size- 7 or 8 megapixels is more than enough. (In fact, if you have one of these crazy 12 megapixel ones, chances are image quality will actually be dergraded- I'd rather take a camera with 7 megapixels and a bigger sensor than a 12 mp one with a smaller sensor.)

I'd plump for the Canon if you can afford it.
  • Options
    cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the best site on the net as far as digital cameras are concerned:
    http://www.dpreview.com/
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What sort of budget are you thinking of they range massively in price

Not a huge budget, i've got cash but don't want to blow it. All i've got to live on at the moment is my student loan lol. :rolleyes: no more than £100 but lower than that really which is probably not enough for the best stuff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    ive got a canon powershot sx200 is and its absolutely amazing its got loads of functions and modes and an 'easy' mode where it does all of the settings itself. also made out of metal rather than plastic so defo hard wearing, will also shoot hd video. also canon might still be doing 40 quid cashback so that might make it more affordable. well worth it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Sony ones are the easiest to use, they arent the best ones out there though, Samsung is very good.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get yourself a Canon 5d Mark 2. I picked one up recently, and it does HD video and astounding pictures too!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Panasonics are good , but probably over your price range
  • Options
    clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member