Options

Rachel Pleads For Votes

Comments

• Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hackjaw wrote: »
    Sad to say but Rachel is doing badly because she is not conventionally good looking (in the generic X factor hair extensions, big teeth and fake tan way) and doesnt have the phony accent, sob story, small village appeal or the whole cliched "going on a journey" nonsense.

but rachel and the stylist based her "look" on rihanna - no-one can deny her popularity, especially with the teenage demographic, so i don't find that reason particularly convincing.

besides, most people have said they think she's beautiful but the reason they're not voting for her is that she's boring. her vocals are average, her performance is not especially entertaining...
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    she seems very guarded to me.

her voice is good but its almost like she is putting no depth of feeling into her songs,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    she seems very guarded to me.

her voice is good but its almost like she is putting no depth of feeling into her songs,

she doesn't seem to be putting very much effort in, to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesnt matter what she does, she will never win. Danni (in reality, Simon) has hitched her bandwagon to Lucie (whos got the sweet innocent girl from a small village in Wales who is good looking in an unthreatening plain way appeal) and Stacey (whos got the dippy and amusingly stupid with a silly accent yet sympathetic working class single mum appeal) - regardless of how well she does, Rachel can't compete with the "stories" of the other two - and unlike Rhianna, the look they have given Rachel makes her look quite fierce which isnt a vote-getter. Shame really, but thems the breaks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but is it ONLY me who thinks that actually she is not very good?

Sorry, I have tried, but although I am quite willing to admit she's not the worst, she is in no way the best either.

I don't get it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesnt matter what she does, she will never win. Danni (in reality, Simon) has hitched her bandwagon to Lucie (whos got the sweet innocent girl from a small village in Wales who is good looking in an unthreatening plain way appeal) and Stacey (whos got the dippy and amusingly stupid with a silly accent yet sympathetic working class single mum appeal) - regardless of how well she does, Rachel can't compete with the "stories" of the other two - and unlike Rhianna, the look they have given Rachel makes her look quite fierce which isnt a vote-getter. Shame really, but thems the breaks.

i never said i thought she would win, she's my least favourite act. and not because she doesn't have a back story, it's because i don't think she has a particularly pleasant personality.

lucie doesn't come from a small village, btw.
    one of her friends said in our local paper that she mentioned she came from a town in wales and the production team ran away with it being tiny and sparsely populated, etc. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Yes, but is it ONLY me who thinks that actually she is not very good?

Sorry, I have tried, but although I am quite willing to admit she's not the worst, she is in no way the best either.

I don't get it.

me either :o
  • Options
    galenagalena Posts: 7,277
    Forum Member
    The problem is the X Factor is not based on merit - Rachel is pretty and a better singer than many but TBH there's nothing to make her stand out from so many others. It's not a matter of people disliking her they just don't care enough to vote. When I think about I can't even remember her performance last week ...
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She came across as a little madam.

Its half jokey but there is underlying anonoyance to it. "How dare I be in the bottom two!" There is a touch of the brat there.

OK, she's been in the bottom two two weeks running. But she hasnt had the abuse J&E have had from the media or the criticism and bad song choices of Lloyd.

She comes across as petulant at not getting her own way and is taking things too personally.
  • Options
    Indigo_19Indigo_19 Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its half jokey but there is underlying anonoyance to it. "How dare I be in the bottom two!" There is a touch of the brat there.

OK, she's been in the bottom two two weeks running. But she hasnt had the abuse J&E have had from the media or the criticism and bad song choices of Lloyd.

She comes across as petulant at not getting her own way and is taking things too personally.

I agree, in my opinion this video has done her no favours.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I totally agree. I warmed to them because they are handling it well. Good on them.
    She is a bit over the top with the hysteria for my taste.
    But, I think she probably is a nice girl, for some reason, its just not coming across for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was chosen by Danni to be the "fall guy" of her group - she knows that Village Lucie and Essex Stace are where her bread is buttered this year so by throwing Rachel to the hounds it keeps them away from her chosen ones for a few more weeks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i have to agree, she comes across very surly and ungrateful. and slightly spoilt-brattish the twice she found out she was in the bottom two.

and this talk about not having been given a fair opportunity - she's had exactly the same chance as the others have!

i have a feeling she possibly thinks she's better than she is, and her attitude is her reaction to finding out that the public, in general, does not concur.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    galena wrote: »
    When I think about I can't even remember her performance last week ...
    Unfortunately I can....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,173
    Forum Member
    thank you for that, i did start to think "oh no, what have i done now?" :)

hahaha. yeah, i thought i should just make sure you didn't think it was aimed at you :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,173
    Forum Member
    i just caught the repeat... and she was worse than i remembered. thing is, she's so cocky too, and i think that's part of her problem
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She was chosen by Danni to be the "fall guy" of her group - she knows that Village Lucie and Essex Stace are where her bread is buttered this year so by throwing Rachel to the hounds it keeps them away from her chosen ones for a few more weeks.

Very true - she was totally thrown to the wolves in her first week - and it usually doesn't get better from there. I remember someone asking why Danni put her on first instead of Lucie or Stacey who might have had a better chance of avoiding the bottom two. I've thought about that and I think that it is because she is the most expendable of the three - anything can happen in the first week and if Danni were to lose anyone I guess she thought it had better be Rachel ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very true - she was totally thrown to the wolves in her first week - and it usually doesn't get better from there. I remember someone asking why Danni put her on first instead of Lucie or Stacey who might have had a better chance of avoiding the bottom two. I've thought about that and I think that it is because she is the most expendable of the three - anything can happen in the first week and if Danni were to lose anyone I guess she thought it had better be Rachel ...

how so?
  • Options
    NatgarNatgar Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe if she learned to sing in tune people would vote for her.

I agree, in fact it would be too painful to my ears to vote for her.
  • Options
    NatgarNatgar Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad to say but Rachel is doing badly because she is not conventionally good looking (in the generic X factor hair extensions, big teeth and fake tan way) and doesnt have the phony accent, sob story, small village appeal or the whole cliched "going on a journey" nonsense.

I don't agree she is attractive and there is nothing wrong with her looks she, In my opinion, can't sing very well and what she does sing sounds boring and forgettable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    how so?

She was the first act to appear (always dangerous, especially on the first show), given a pub-rock type song which did nothing to showcase her vocals and styled dreadfully. Oh and damned by faint praise from Simon, to deny her the Simon-haters vote. Hope that answers your question!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Natgar wrote: »
    I don't agree she is attractive and there is nothing wrong with her looks she, In my opinion, can't sing very well and what she does sing sounds boring and forgettable.

I have to agree with you on her looks - she's very pretty. Though whoever is styling her is making a pigs ear of it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was the first act to appear (always dangerous, especially on the first show), given a pub-rock type song which did nothing to showcase her vocals and styled dreadfully. Oh and damned by faint praise from Simon, to deny her the Simon-haters vote. Hope that answers your question!

but simon also told the twins he was growing to like them/had changed his mind about them, and they still picked up the votes - because they're entertaining.

lucie was first last week, and she wasn't in the bottom two - because she has a better voice than rachel.

rachel just has nothing interesting about her, and that's why she's not getting votes. i don't believe it's anything to do with her image or the way she's styled, and even less to do with the judges' comments.
  • Options
    Mr BlondeMr Blonde Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After reading how much she wants it I've decided to vote for her...but John and Edward will be getting more of my votes...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    but simon also told the twins he was growing to like them/had changed his mind about them, and they still picked up the votes - because they're entertaining.

lucie was first last week, and she wasn't in the bottom two - because she has a better voice than rachel.

rachel just has nothing interesting about her, and that's why she's not getting votes. i don't believe it's anything to do with her image or the way she's styled, and even less to do with the judges' comments.
    I think you are taking a bit of an extreme view here - I wasn't suggesting by any means that anything I've mentioned here alone could lead to the demise of a popular act. Going first/Simon's comments/bad styling/bad song choice isn't everything, but it does all add up - especially in the first week, especially for acts like Rachel who haven't gotten much publicity before the show and are pretty forgettable anyway.

Not that I am a Rachel fan in any way - I don't honestly think there is much to choose between Rachel and Lucie they are both mediocre.

As for Simon's comments to J&E - I think he is preparing the way for their eventual exit - perhaps they are getting a little too popular and he is trying to stop the bandwagon before he ends up with another Leon type act winning.