Options

Song Choice - Not a level playing Field

Comments

• Options
    Arnostae's MumArnostae's Mum Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    He had to learn it in a new arrangement. I don't see your problem. You can hardly blame Jamie for Stacey being so young that she hasn't heard of the songs she's being given. Jamie's an experienced singer & performer with a large repertoire already. Imo it would be silly of him not to use that experience.

That's the difficulty Jamie had. A big band version will be quite different to the (probably) rock version he is used to singing. When you are very used to doing something in a particular way it is not so easy to change the way you do it to a completely different style.
  • Options
    mitacondmitacond Posts: 105,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tigerpaws wrote: »
    Jamie's a 34yr old rock singer who has been playing clubs for years the likelihood of him getting a rock song on rock week he's never sung is zero to none.
    Yep it probably gives him an advantage but no more than anyone else thats been performing for years, had singing lessons or been to a performing arts school.

With regards singing lessons yes many have and some have attended dance or stage school or performing arts schools. That will give them experience in many other things too.
  • Options
    bridgertonbridgerton Posts: 792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But did Jamie ever claim he didn't know the song?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this some sort of joke?

You're right OP it's not a level playing field, because Jamie keeps getting shafted for ****ing Danyl. It's rock week and he's given a madonna song?! Last week got a song given to him with 24 hours notice?

Simon clearly wants him out the way to make room for Danyl and Olly, it's not a level playing field for Jamie if anyone.
  • Options
    CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mitacond wrote: »
    Oh why not? Mind you I can see your point it is less stress when you don't have a fav.

I have several this year which is even more interesting. ;)

Still not having a fav.,I suppose enables you to be more objective I would imagine. ;)

I dont have a favourite simply because I dont really get into the show that much.

Its a tv show, sometimes I like how someone sings, some weeks I perfer how someone else performed.

This year there hasnt been, to me, a consistant performer who has been good every week, so whilst I think Lucie has a nice voice and probably the best singer of the group, last week was the first time I thought she gave a good performance, I thought she was quite poor the week before infact, I didnt like Stacey last week, but thought her excellent week one, likewise Jamie, I thought he was good the first week, but last week was quite poor, I would have placed him below miss frank on his performance, although lloyd was way below either, and should have been the one to go last week if it was soley about performances.

hence I just enjoy the tunes, dont get wrapped up in defending 'favourites' or any of the rest of it, and comment on who I thought gave a decent performance on a given show.

I have no axe to grind about jamie, I just didn tthink the antics last week were particularly nice, and I cannot see it being a coincedence that out of around 30 songs on his webiste repertoire, he is singing one for the second week running.

I dont have a problem with him having experience, I dont like the dishonesty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I dont have a favourite simply because I dont really get into the show that much.

Its a tv show, sometimes I like how someone sings, some weeks I perfer how someone else performed.

This year there hasnt been, to me, a consistant performer who has been good every week, so whilst I think Lucie has a nice voice and probably the best singer of the group, last week was the first time I thought she gave a good performance, I thought she was quite poor the week before infact, I didnt like Stacey last week, but thought her excellent week one, likewise Jamie, I thought he was good the first week, but last week was quite poor, I would have placed him below miss frank on his performance, although lloyd was way below either, and should have been the one to go last week if it was soley about performances.

hence I just enjoy the tunes, dont get wrapped up in defending 'favourites' or any of the rest of it, and comment on who I thought gave a decent performance on a given show.

I have no axe to grind about jamie, I just didn tthink the antics last week were particularly nice, and I cannot see it being a coincedence that out of around 30 songs on his webiste repertoire, he is singing one for the second week running.

I dont have a problem with him having experience, I dont like the dishonesty.

Thanks Charlottesweb for the answer.

I actually agree with you with regards the acts and particularly so in the group section. ;)

I understand where you are coming from with regards the songs I really do. However there are few songs he does not sing I would imagine which is a perk in a way.;)

I would think he has possibly sung most of the songs that are being sung tonight which make it slightly difficult really.;)

It is I believe apart from being the Rock and Roll week a Bon Jovi week also and therefore we all thought that there would be more Bon Jovi songs being sung but no joy it seems.;)

Thanks for putting up this thread as it is important to have a discussion and share information and whatever.
  • Options
    caz789caz789 Posts: 4,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most obvious disparity for me is between Joe and Lloyd.

Don't Stop Believing, a phenomenally popular song, versus the could it be any more inappropriate for Lloyd and Rock week "I Kissed a Girl" (hope my boyfriend don't mind it).
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Has it ever been a level playing field?

If the songs are from Jamie's play list he's hardly knocking anyone out with the performances. He should be far and above the rest, but to me he's a glorified pub singer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    caz789 wrote: »
    The most obvious disparity for me is between Joe and Lloyd.

Don't Stop Believing, a phenomenally popular song, versus the could it be any more inappropriate for Lloyd and Rock week "I Kissed a Girl" (hope my boyfriend don't mind it).

Ihad not thought of that what does that say to you?;)

It seems to me there are two camps and that one of the camps is getting a raw deal.;)
  • Options
    caz789caz789 Posts: 4,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mitacond wrote: »
    Ihad not thought of that what does that say to you?;)

It seems to me there are two camps and that one of the camps is getting a raw deal.;)

Told myself I wouldn't get annoyed with it this year, but I have this week ..lol
    Fingers crossed for Jamie anyway :)
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dome wrote: »
    Has it ever been a level playing field?

If the songs are from Jamie's play list he's hardly knocking anyone out with the performances. He should be far and above the rest, but to me he's a glorified pub singer.

She has favoured her "Geordie brother Joe" ( tm* Cheryl Cole) since his first audition.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously!? Jamie has been singing for years. He has probably played hundreds and hundreds of different songs. He has played Chemical Brothers and Faithless. He has also played U2 and Metallica. Who cares if he has sang this song before? Are you going to penalise Joe is he sings Wham! because he made a video of it on holiday? Or what about if Danyl sings Boyzone in the shower, is he not allowed to sing that on XF either?

Who bloody cares. Jamie has had years of experience and hard work, let him get some credit for being able to perform and let him enjoy the fact that finally some of the songs that he has been singing in those pubs for years are finally getting noticed and appreciated by the public.
  • Options
    SelenaSelena Posts: 29,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glorfindel wrote: »
    But consider last week: "I had to learn the song in 24 hours". COMPLETE BULLCRAP!

Rubbish Jamie did have to learn the song in 24 hours. A whole new arangement unless he's ever sang with a big band before. Jamie never said that he didn't know the words The Sun did.
  • Options
    stillrockinstillrockin Posts: 4,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glorfindel wrote: »
    But consider last week: "I had to learn the song in 24 hours". COMPLETE BULLCRAP!

Yes, he's going to have wider music experience than most of the others, but, considering most of his competitors are teenagers who aren't going to have strong knowledge and will have to start from scratch each week, why stack the decks even more in his favour?

The actual words used in the VT prior to the performance were that he had 24 hours to rehearse the song.

There was nothing said about not knowing the song or having to learn the words merely that it was changed 24 hours before the live show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGkm3Q2qtzA&feature=related

Now if there's another link where Jamies says he has to learn the entire song and the words perhaps you could link to that because I think people are adding in their own bits and pieces to what was actually said.
  • Options
    bridgertonbridgerton Posts: 792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The actual words used in the VT prior to the performance were that he had 24 hours to rehearse the song.

There was nothing said about not knowing the song or having to learn the words merely that it was changed 24 hours before the live show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGkm3Q2qtzA&feature=related

Now if there's another link where Jamies says he has to learn the entire song and the words perhaps you could link to that because I think people are adding in their own bits and pieces to what was actually said.

Thanks for this...I've been trying to clarify whether he actually said he didn't know the song and no one seems to be able to agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a song he sings all the time.

As I clearly said in my original post.

Its advertised here, just like last weeks song he 'had to learn in 24 hours'
    http://www.lmmuk.com/band/New+Revolutions

Nope, nothing about having to learn the song in 24 hours - the words used were '24 hours to rehearse the song'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So for the second week running Jamie is singing a song from his bands advertised playlist , whilst the likes of Stacy are singing songs they have never heard before.

Is this a ploy to keep him in, make him look good, or does it show extreme limitation to Jamie as a performer.

Is it fair to the other contestants , or should we see it as just a perk of him being in a band and singing before the show?[/QUOTE

Well as you can see from his repertoire, it covers different genres of music from rock to pop to dance so that doesn't exactly demonstrate limitation I don't think but rather that he can handle several different styles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Simon then told him to sing U2 hit Angel Of Harlem... but Jamie, 34, replied: "I don't know the words!"

They then went to Simon's dressing room and continued the row, with their shouting being heard along the corridor.

Simon, 50, insisted he was simply showing Jamie some "tough love" - adding it was "just showbiz".

Jamie hit back, saying he had only 24 hours until tonight's live show and would be underprepared if he changed songs

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/x_factor/2697938/Simon-Cowell-Sing-that-Jamie-Archer-and-U-are-finished.html#ixzz0VSJpcFE7
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    if anything Simon is trying to set Jamie up. He knows what by giving him these song choices it will lead to people like the OP saying he has an unfair advatage and thta will cost him votes.

Interesting re that playlist listing Angel of Harlem.

Re Simon setting Jamie up. Honestly, how many people do you think are going to realise this? 90% of voters won't be reading forums or twitter or whatever. They simply won't know. Unless it leaks to the major news outlets no one will know. If they did know, why do you think they'd care? Some will, yes, but I seriously doubt it would be enough to swing many votes away from him. Now if news broke that Jamie liked buggerising donkeys ... well ...

People will judge by the performance on the night - not on whether he may or may have known the song before hand. Most will toss it off as, well, he's been in the music scene for 15 years ... what doesn't he know already?

From my reading of this forum sometimes I think people get too carried away with the convoluted conspiracy theories. Remember, the more convoluted the conspiracy theory, the less likely it will ever work.
  • Options
    fezxenakisfezxenakis Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To give you some idea, I myself make a living from singing covers and I know over 1000 songs, this isn't that unusual. The more you learn the easier it becomes to learn new ones as well. Learning a new arrangement, which in this case is basically just a truncated version with nothing added, of a song already on his play-list should be an absolute doddle, 20mins work tops. That's the learning part, I'm sure he would have appreciated more time to practise and hone his performance however.
  • Options
    lovecat86lovecat86 Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    So for the second week running Jamie is singing a song from his bands advertised playlist , whilst the likes of Stacy are singing songs they have never heard before.

Is this a ploy to keep him in, make him look good, or does it show extreme limitation to Jamie as a performer.

Is it fair to the other contestants , or should we see it as just a perk of him being in a band and singing before the show?

Hardly Jamie's fault that he entered the competition when he was 14 years older than Stacey, having been trying to break into the business for ages with ACTUAL MUSICAL TALENT (playing an instrument as well as singing), and after having formed a band which play a wide range of songs.

On a final note, a week is long enough to learn a song. I went to see Calvin Harris last night after listening to his new album for a couple of hours, I managed to remember the choruses to most of the songs. Shouldn't be hard for a singer to learn ONE sing in a whole week. That's the whole reason they're in the house afterall.
  • Options
    SelenaSelena Posts: 29,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its the Sun, they are not reliable. Actually I don't think that an arguement actually happened if it did they would have shown it just like the Dannii/Rachel disagreement last year. The only thing that we know for fact is that Jamie had 24 hours to rehearse this song with a big band.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Selena wrote: »
    Its the Sun, they are not reliable. Actually I don't think that an arguement actually happened if it did they would have shown it just like the Dannii/Rachel disagreement last year. The only thing that we know for fact is that Jamie had 24 hours to rehearse this song with a big band.

They probably all had just one rehearsal with the band before the actual performance.

I very much doubt the band was brought in for every run through.
  • Options
    lovecat86lovecat86 Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Well as you can see from his repertoire, it covers different genres of music from rock to pop to dance so that doesn't exactly demonstrate limitation I don't think but rather that he can handle several different styles.

Indeed.

On youtube I have seen him covering:

Insomnia by Faithless

and

a medley of Hey Boy, Hey Girl by Chemical Brothers and Superstylin' by Groove Armada

I don't think either could be described as rock. Dance if ever I heard it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We have no idea from that report what words were actually spoken. We have no idea whether the 'source' quoted verbatim or embellished what happened and we have no idea how much of his own spin the reporter put on the article.

What we do know for certain is what was screened prior to the live show which was that Jamie had 24 hours to rehearse the song.