Options

Brown's letter to Mrs Janes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
Forum Member
Good old Gordon, he's done it again. His letter to Mrs Janes offering condolences for the death of her son is a disgrace. He knows that his eyesight is bad (and we all know that he can't see further than the end of his nose), but he should have had his letter proofed. I'm sure that he thought it a good idea to hand-write the letter as a personal touch but if you can't write well, then have it typed. It's the content which is important.

I do think that some of the spelling mistakes which Mrs Janes pointed out were simply due to bad handwriting but to end the letter with 'yours sincerely' demonstrates a poor command of the English language and to correct a mistake by writing over it is shoddy to say the least.

I'm sure Brown would 'never knowingly misspell anyone's name' but there really is no excuse for this.

Mrs Janes is absolutely right in saying that the letter looks as though it has been hastily scrawled and my sympathies go to her.

Gordon, remember: If a job's worth doing, then it's worth doing well.

Comments

• Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Misspelling someone's name is unforgivable, especially on a letter such as this. The information would have been laid out in front of him, it's not as if he's taken a garbled telephone call.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not a good story at all and it will symbolise the feeling a lot of people have about this war. She is upset over the death of her son clearly but this is just an insult.

I suppose it depends how much of a hinderance his eye problem is for his writing. I mean you can excuse his writing being a bit messy due to this but would his eye problem cause him to totally miss some letters off words?

And getting the names wrong is again just unforgivable really. I think it just goes to show really, Brown is by no means a perfect PM.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would've thought Gordon Brown just signed such letters, did he write it ? Someone should've checked it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonah Brown just keeps blundering along. Today, this story, his demeanor at the cenotaphe, his sartorial ineligance while jogging. We can see how the economy has blundered into the worse recession since records as a result of his Chancellorship.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder if he can actually sign his own name without messing that up too. And does he write the same letter to everyone? That's also an insult but I guess that the army has always sent stock letters to the bereaved. A personal visit would really be the only way to do this, but who would want him turning up on their doorstep?
  • Options
    cpu121cpu121 Posts: 5,330
    Forum Member
    I would've thought Gordon Brown just signed such letters, did he write it ? Someone should've checked it.
    Standard procedure for these letters is that a junior staff member types the letter up, it is then proofed by at least one senior staff before being given to senior officer/minister to copy out verbatim in their own handwriting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    Widow57 wrote: »
    I wonder if he can actually sign his own name without messing that up too. And does he write the same letter to everyone? That's also an insult but I guess that the army has always sent stock letters to the bereaved. A personal visit would really be the only way to do this, but who would want him turning up on their doorstep?

He certainly wouldnt do that in cased the bereaved relative had left a spare gun for them as a souvineer.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Widow57 wrote: »
    Good old Gordon, he's done it again. His letter to Mrs Janes offering condolences for the death of her son is a disgrace. He knows that his eyesight is bad (and we all know that he can't see further than the end of his nose), but he should have had his letter proofed. I'm sure that he thought it a good idea to hand-write the letter as a personal touch but if you can't write well, then have it typed. It's the content which is important.

I do think that some of the spelling mistakes which Mrs Janes pointed out were simply due to bad handwriting but to end the letter with 'yours sincerely' demonstrates a poor command of the English language and to correct a mistake by writing over it is shoddy to say the least.

I'm sure Brown would 'never knowingly misspell anyone's name' but there really is no excuse for this.

Mrs Janes is absolutely right in saying that the letter looks as though it has been hastily scrawled and my sympathies go to her.

Gordon, remember: If a job's worth doing, then it's worth doing well.

It is not that there was misspelling and it was untidy - it was that insufficient time was taken to do the job properly.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet again he shows his incompetence but in this instance it really is dreadful.
  • Options
    Radical JoeRadical Joe Posts: 15,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a nothing story - and what an ungrateful mother.

He spelt her sons name wrong, big deal, it was a mistake. Someone with some gratitude might take some consolation from the fact that he tried to do the right thing by sending a personal letter, but she runs to the press to condemn him.

Shame on her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is not that there was misspelling and it was untidy - it was that insufficient time was taken to do the job properly.

But he's had plenty of time to do his real job properly. ie running the country!
  • Options
    cpu121cpu121 Posts: 5,330
    Forum Member

He spelt her sons name wrong, big deal, it was a mistake. Someone with some gratitude might take some consolation from the fact that he tried to do the right thing by sending a personal letter, but she runs to the press to condemn him.

Shame on her.
    He could have done the right thing properly by ensuring it was correct and error free. Instead it looks like he's not taken the time to do it properly and despite mentioning sincere twice in the last five words, looks very insincere.

If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Shame on her.

A good point, but let's not forget that the poor woman is grieving the loss of her son.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lack of an Eton education;)
  • Options
    Lucem FerreLucem Ferre Posts: 8,224
    Forum Member

Shame on her.

No, he got her name wrong and her dead son's name wrong, along with a host of other errors that one would be surprised at from a 12 year old.

'Ungrateful'? In the context, that is a despicable thing to say.

One again the Left prove they are the truly nasty ones.
  • Options
    VellumVellum Posts: 6,825
    Forum Member

Shame on her.

Why should she have gratitude that the man who sent her son to his death in a war he is not providing enough equipment for, with an army he deliberately underfunded in Govt, sent a badly spelt 2 minute scrawl that has as much to do with his press office assuring the public he writes personally to casualties families than it does having any concern for their grief.

This woman lost her son, and you want us to feel sorry for Brown, I am counting the days until this Govt is brought down.
  • Options
    stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its just a bullcrap non story.
    A guy whose blind in one eye, with eyesight rapidly deteriorating in the other, writes a person letter to a mother about the loss of a child. All she can think of doing is selling the story to the Sun. How she must GRIEVE when the Sun are paying her for a story on the death of her son.

Ignore the fact he can't really sell all that well anymore, ignore the fact that anything he writes is proof read and should be checked before being sent out anyway, ignore the fact that he'd gone out of his way to write a personal note to the woman rather than the standard apology letter that is normally generated, ignore the fact that SHE HAS SOLD HER STORY TO THE SUN TO MAKE MONEY OFF IT.

This woman is an absolute disgrace with her crocodile tears and her expanding bank balance. It really makes me feel sick to live in a world where this is the kind of gratitude a half blind Prime Minister making an effort goes to.

Disgusting attack from the right on someone just trying to make things better. This is the kind of thing you expect from them though, they'll destroy public services and make people wait 6 months for operations, but OH NO, a virtually blind man spelt something wrong. This will never do!!!

Pathetic. Digusting.

Shame on her.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of Brown AT ALL but I feel this is just an unfortunate mistake and not indicative of his attitude towards dead soldiers and their families. Yes, he should have taken more care with the letter but I imagine the amount of documentation he has to deal with on a daily basis is very high and he's bound to make a few spelling mistakes now and again.

I also question the motives of the mother who sold her story.
  • Options
    Lucem FerreLucem Ferre Posts: 8,224
    Forum Member
    A guy whose blind in one eye, with eyesight rapidly deteriorating in the other

I fail to see how that remotely justifies the man clearly being unable to spell very simple words, such as 'comfort', correctly.

Is he just retarded?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still open season on Gordon Brown.

Here's my take. Brown's eyesight is failing rapidly and after a long day of being everyone else's punchbag he tries to rattle off a personal letter to a mother of one of the dead soldiers. Does anyone think that an educated man would make such basic errors unless there were other factors? Brown's biggest "crime" is to try and turn himself into a touchy feelie Blair/Clinton type. He can't emote and shouldn't try. He is a decent man doing his best in trying conditions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its just a bullcrap non story.
    A guy whose blind in one eye, with eyesight rapidly deteriorating in the other, writes a person letter to a mother about the loss of a child. All she can think of doing is selling the story to the Sun. How she must GRIEVE when the Sun are paying her for a story on the death of her son.

Ignore the fact he can't really sell all that well anymore, ignore the fact that anything he writes is proof read and should be checked before being sent out anyway, ignore the fact that he'd gone out of his way to write a personal note to the woman rather than the standard apology letter that is normally generated, ignore the fact that SHE HAS SOLD HER STORY TO THE SUN TO MAKE MONEY OFF IT.

This woman is an absolute disgrace with her crocodile tears and her expanding bank balance. It really makes me feel sick to live in a world where this is the kind of gratitude a half blind Prime Minister making an effort goes to.

Shame on her.

I'm a bit confused as to why having one eye affects an ability to spell, it seems Brown was able to spell 98% of the words on the letter correctly, the reason he spelt the others incorrectly, some by one letter, is not his eye, it is pure laziness and slack attitude, the same he displays in all aspects of governing this country.

And btw, I find your suggestion a woman who has lost her son cries 'crocodile tears' as abhorrent, but as has been said sums up the nastiness of the Left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roy Batty wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Brown AT ALL but I feel this is just an unfortunate mistake and not indicative of his attitude towards dead soldiers and their families. Yes, he should have taken more care with the letter but I imagine the amount of documentation he has to deal with on a daily basis is very high and he's bound to make a few spelling mistakes now and again.

I also question the motives of the mother who sold her story.

I agree 100%
  • Options
    stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fail to see how that remotely justifies the man clearly being unable to spell very simple words, such as 'comfort', correctly.

Is he just retarded?

:eek:
    Oh my God. Thats a disgusting thing to say.
    How dare you. :mad::mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Peter9999 wrote: »
    Still open season on Gordon Brown.

Here's my take. Brown's eyesight is failing rapidly and after a long day of being everyone else's punchbag he tries to rattle off a personal letter to a mother of one of the dead soldiers. Does anyone think that an educated man would make such basic errors unless there were other factors? Brown's biggest "crime" is to try and turn himself into a touchy feelie Blair/Clinton type. He can't emote and shouldn't try. He is a decent man doing his best in trying conditions.

No, he is a complete arse floundering way out of his depth and driving the country onto the rocks.

If he was 'educated' he would realise and call an election or resign.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Shame on her.

It beggars belief anyone could post this.

Brown needs condemning, if you are going to right a letter then at least make sure you know the name of the person you are writing to. Brown like Obama has no real strategy of what the hell they are doing in Afghanistan, they dither while soldiers are losing their lives.