Options

People Who Moan All The Time - What Gives? What can be gained?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a little cheer-me-up for those who don't like the winter months, it's only five weeks until the days start to draw out again. Ever the optimist, that's me. ;)

Thanks Portiathecat, that's cheered me up no end, something to look forward to! :)

DS forums are bloody full of whingers, moaners and tantrum-throwing imbeciles. Without minor things like margerine, plastic bags and spelling mistakes, I think DS would become a ghost-town.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    CJ32 wrote: »
    I asked a whiner this and they said "someone might do something about it for me". lol. Well, it's a fair enough point.

I quite liked that when I read it, but, having thought about it, it actually speaks volumes. Whingers won't get off their arses and do something about it - they expect everyone else to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    Rowdy wrote: »
    I quite liked that when I read it, but, having thought about it, it actually speaks volumes. Whingers won't get off their arses and do something about it - they expect everyone else to.

That is so true.
  • Options
    *Confidential**Confidential* Posts: 3,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laura:) wrote: »
    My best friend moans all the time, and 99% of the things she moans about are either her fault or she could do something to change them (i.e they are not out of her control).

It gets very draining sometimes listening to someone who is constantly negative, probably why I don't spend as much time with her as I used to.

Here's the type I meant, like your friend. I'm not speaking of people who suffer from depression - hell, that's a different set of cards altogether, and that's an inner struggle. Regular healthy every day Joes, who moan about every single thing. They do drain the life blood from those aroud them when they always see the 'bad or worst' side of everything.

Everyone moans now and again, it's the ones that Laura has described here that I do not get. Is it really that hard to see something other than the negative in everything? Life would be better if some didn't show constant pessimism, for them and for those around them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »

I liked that one too. It does seem to speak volumes!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    Excessive moaning is not good for the person, because they end up in a cycle they cannot excape from. I wonder how much is simple attention seeking because they feel people don't listen to them unless they say something negative. It is also stressful for those around them... nothing like hearing misery to make you miserable.

I work in a company with many small sites dotted around the country - some are happy positive places, but a few are depressing and filled with seemingly miserable people. I find that the latter group all have one or two dedicated moaners in them who set off the rest... we changed the way we deal with rubbish, going from bins under people's desks to central recycling points. In the +ve sites this was greeted with 'great! company is doing something for the environment'... in the -ve sites one person even said to me 'I have a right to a bin, why should I have to keep getting up to go over there to throw my rubbish away'... they even hijacked a staff meeting to discuss it. Over bins for heaven's sake!

Negativity is a canker that eats away at people.

This made me laugh. :D I bet the obvious answer to them is that in doing so, it makes them think more about 'waste' - and putting paper etc into recycling bins, rather than refuse bins, wouldn't have been enough. and the fact that it gets them 'moving' rather than being stuck sitting at their desk all the time!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calamity wrote: »
    no one mentioned moaning all the time.

I know they didn't, I was just stating that no one likes someone who moans all the time, no one appreciates someone like Victor Meldrew and it's people with his persona who lose friends. My post was a generalisation and I didn't mean for you to take it personally and I cannot understand why you would. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calamity wrote: »
    no one mentioned moaning all the time.

Actually Calamity, in fairness to Portiathecat, moaning all the time was mentioned. By me.. Both in the Thread Header and in my original post. It's not about having an occasion moan or a rant, it's about those who moan all the time.

Portia didn't say you. They picked on your comment, agreed that we all have a moan from time to time, but that's not what we are talking about.
  • Options
    Moany LizaMoany Liza Posts: 22,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a problem here??? :cool:
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    lexy_86 wrote: »
    Thanks Portiathecat, that's cheered me up no end, something to look forward to! :)

DS forums are bloody full of whingers, moaners and tantrum-throwing imbeciles. Without minor things like margerine, plastic bags and spelling mistakes, I think DS would become a ghost-town.

I'm normally fairly optimistic about things but I tend to moan sometimes, particularly when it concerns Christmas, my Stats lecturer (she's a real pest and really gets on my nerves), the X Factor, soaps and bad weather.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moany Liza wrote: »
    Is there a problem here??? :cool:

Only if you intend keeping your full user name.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm normally fairly optimistic about things but I tend to moan sometimes, particularly when it concerns Christmas, my Stats lecturer (she's a real pest and really gets on my nerves), the X Factor, soaps and bad weather.

I didn't moan about XFactor last week and Mr Cowell. I ranted and raved like a fccking idiot. :o:D That little blip last Sunday did make me feel all the better afterwards, but normal PMA resumed shortly after.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only if you intend keeping your full user name.:D

Oh really, what are you going to do about it then?

*adopts a belligerent stance* :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh really, what are you going to do about it then?

*adopts a belligerent stance* :D

*Adds you to my ignore list* Such negativity drags me down. Corrective and positive action now taken.

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Adds you to my ignore list* Such negativity drags me down. Corrective and positive action now taken.

:D

Oh no!!! :eek:

*sobs uncontrollably at prospect of being ignored* :cry:

;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no!!! :eek:

*sobs uncontrollably at prospect of being ignored* :cry:

;)

The post count on the thread has gone up but I'm not counting the same amount of posts available to view :eek: Maybe the thread is haunted? :eek:

;):D

ETA: did you spot the obvious? ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The post count on the thread has gone up but I'm not counting the same amount of posts available to view :eek: Maybe the thread is haunted? :eek:

;):D

ETA: did you spot the obvious? ;)

Oh stop whingeing, you moaning old windbag!!!! :p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh stop whingeing, you moaning old windbag!!!! :p:D

What the hell is going on. The thread count keeps increasing but I can't see why!

:eek:

So Moany. Are you? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the hell is going on. The thread count keeps increasing but I can't see why!

:eek:

So Moany. Are you? :D

I might be!! ;)
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I didn't moan about XFactor last week and Mr Cowell. I ranted and raved like a fccking idiot. :o:D That little blip last Sunday did make me feel all the better afterwards, but normal PMA resumed shortly after.

I mostly moan because it's on in the background and my mum insists on watching it and sometimes asks me if I want to watch it. Then I get mad and tell her I think it's rubbish and disappear onto the computer or play Paper Toss on the Ipod. :D
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people have s**t lives.

I don't mind people objecting to moaning as long as they stop that idiotic catchphrase "cheer up, might never happen". Some people are bereaved, have bad health etc etc whilst the twerps who utter this usually have nothing more to worry about than their local football team losing.

I will not moan but I reserve the right not to fake happiness either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PowerMax wrote: »
    Some people have s**t lives.

I don't mind people objecting to moaning as long as they stop that idiotic catchphrase "cheer up, might never happen". Some people are bereaved, have bad health etc etc whilst the twerps who utter this usually have nothing more to worry about than their local football team losing.

I will not moan but I reserve the right not to fake happiness either.

Well this particular poster has had a pretty shit life in comparison to a lot of people, a fact acknowleged by a lot of my friends. What brings me up is that I get the worst shit when I really don't need it, but something always,always crops up. It's always worked like that for me. That's why I have the attitude I have, there's a bit of Karma in it, but along the way, you have to try at least to make your own luck. Hell if I sat on my arse and felt sorry for myself everytime something hellish happened (no, I'm not going into it, but I mean hell things that would push some to the edge), I'd have cut my throat a long time ago. I'm saying that in serious mode.

I totally, TOTALLY, agree with the "cheer up, it might never happen" phrase though. I've heard that said, when the person being told to cheer up has had the most hellish news, and is dealing with serious down times.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Life is mediocre/crap, most of the time, if we're honest. But we carry on for those rare excellent times. No point in grousing or complaining, at least not to others, as they will not be interested.

Some people moan all the time. They regail you with the minutiae of their lives, and drag you down with their misery. They are best avoided.
  • Options
    Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laura:) wrote: »
    My best friend moans all the time, and 99% of the things she moans about are either her fault or she could do something to change them (i.e they are not out of her control).

It gets very draining sometimes listening to someone who is constantly negative, probably why I don't spend as much time with her as I used to.

Ah yes, the Drainers, they're a lovely lot, aren't they.

I had to ditch one of those off my friend's list recently, I seriously could not deal with the incessant whingeing anymore.

No matter how many times I tried to help her, comfort her, and tell her that her life wasn't bad at all, the moaning and bitching about everything and everyone was just never-ending.

(If the above sounds cruel, then let me clarify: she was like a female Robert.)
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I know someone who is a constant moaner - he even complained about winning £20 on the lottery - poor sould had to go to the shop to collect his winnings! I find myself really worn out listening to his constant whinging about everything.

A collegue at work calls people like that "Kryptonite People", they just drain you of energy