Options

The Impressions Show

Comments

• Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    The Roland joke is an affectionate dig at Brucie's age and supposed therefore senility.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I think it is good in parts.

The Davina mannerisms
    The Fiona Bruce persona
    The Ross Kemp catchphrase
    The inaneness of The One Show links
    The Dom Littlewood voice is probably one of the best as actual impressions go
  • Options
    Ms BrightsideMs Brightside Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vernon Kay hasn't had hair that long in years! His impression is the only annoying part of the show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    I started watching the last ep on iplayer last night, and even though some of them are ok, I just cannot abide the bad impressions and terrible jokes, so I had to switch off after about ten minutes and watch Armstrong and Miller instead.

Culshaw does a few people very very well, like Bush (who he is not even doing anymore) and Michael McEntyre but really, he tends to sound just like himself for the most part and is the most overrated impersonator since Les Dennis.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I turned over to see the Ant and Dec & Kate Winslet skit's which bear no resemblence to them whatsoever. This show is absolute pump.

What's funny about Eamonn Holmes thinking a table is a biscuit? The licensing fee is paying Culshaw for this shite........
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saw a bit of this tonight. Awful. Not funny
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blimey..........I just watched this for the first time tonight and what a load of old tosh !

The impressions were terrible on the whole and the jokes weren't funny

And I guess you have to be an avid viewer of ITV daytime telly to know who most of these people are

The people who I knew sounded nothing like their impressions.............:eek:

Ant and Dec...........:eek:

Davina.........what was that all about ?...........:confused:

Wayne Rooney ?............:confused:

I thought the Ray Mears voice was good, but the joke was so predictable

I did laugh once, but I can't remember the joke now
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Culshaw is simply too old to play most of the parts he tries...................and worse then that, he neither sounds like or looks like ANY of them !!!!

99% of the british population can do a brucie impression better then the dross I saw tonight.

I feel sorry for Deborah as she is mostly good but the whole show is plain awful.

Bring back Alaistair McGowan and Ronnie Ancona anyday.
  • Options
    Jimmy Big LegsJimmy Big Legs Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    This show gets steadily worse each week. The first episode I found genuinely amusing and laughed at most of the sketches (perhaps as I had no expectations), but by the second episode the jokes were already wearing thin, and tonight's was just painful. Particularly the Wayne & Coleen sketch.

I did raise a slight smirk at Brucie's tap dancing, though.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Culshaw has a face for radio and has somehow made a whole career based on an awful George Bush impression.

How ?
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Culshaw is simply too old to play most of the parts he tries...................and worse then that, he neither sounds like or looks like ANY of them !!!!

99% of the british population can do a brucie impression better then the dross I saw tonight.

I feel sorry for Deborah as she is mostly good but the whole show is plain awful.

Bring back Alaistair McGowan and Ronnie Ancona anyday.

You are obviously watching a different programme to me. I was a big fan of Dead Ringers and I think this is a pretty good attempt to bring impressions back to the mainstream.
    Debra Stephenson is surprisingly good given that I didnt think she did impressions -her Davina and Anne Robinson are simply brilliant.

Memo to anyone........Les Dennis is the one who couldnt do impressions...............................although I concede his Mavis from Coronation Street is unique-especially with Dustin Gees's Vera!
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caught the last 10 minutes of this tonight:eek:

OMG - it was awful!!!

At least I didn't sit through all of it. Suppose that is a small mercy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    the impressions show is awful its nothing compared to dead ringers, i dont find any of it funny which is a shame cos i loved dead ringers.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still enjoying this, even though tonight's comments seem to be mostly negative.
  • Options
    RobinMcClarnonRobinMcClarnon Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deeply un-funny. Poor writing, poor ideas and mainly poor impressions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    I worked with Jon Culshaw on hospital radio around 1987. We were both Level 42 fans and I can remember bringing in 'Running in The Family' on vinyl when it first came out and him playing a few tracks on his show. He'd started doing the impressions back then.

He's seems a nice bloke and I'm glad he's done well, although tbh I'm not a fan of most of his TV work but then I'm not a big fan of impression based shows in general.
  • Options
    JonathanExJonathanEx Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anne Robinson vs Simon Cowell was fantastic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've never watched Dead Ringers but I did catch a couple of minutes of it on Dave the other night and I would say that Debra is better at some of the impressions than Jan Ravens. I think her Fiona Bruce is a lot better.

Added to the things I though were good in my previous post I also like the Hugh-FW sketches. Short and sweet, predictable but pretty good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Culshaw's Hugh FW impression is really good! It's my favourite:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    Deborah is not bad at all; her Davina McCall and Kirstie Allsopp are spot on! John Culshaw is, and always has been, pretty rubbish. He just sounds like himself in nearly all of the impressions, expect Gok Wan, where he sounds like Dale Winton.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Impressions have long since passed on as TV entertainment, its fine in short bursts on topical comedy quiz shows, but not as a standalone 1/2 hour show. Although, I have to say they do a decent job, just not for me over 30 mins.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    I thought Debra's impression of Kirtsy Young on Crimewatch was completely spot on, i am totally surprised at how good she's been.
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I've never watched Dead Ringers but I did catch a couple of minutes of it on Dave the other night and I would say that Debra is better at some of the impressions than Jan Ravens. I think her Fiona Bruce is a lot better.

Added to the things I though were good in my previous post I also like the Hugh-FW sketches. Short and sweet, predictable but pretty good.

Not had the pleasure of seeing Miss Stephenson as "The Bruce" yet.

Is she as erotically charged?

"I'm Fiona Bruce, don't turn over, I like you that way".
  • Options
    Louise-annLouise-ann Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkle_18 wrote: »
    expect Gok Wan, where he sounds like Dale Winton.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

Deborah is really good, Her Davina McCall, Kirsty Allsopp, Kirsty Young and Anne Robbinson are genious

John's best is Micheal Mcintyre and Adrian Chiles
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    Not had the pleasure of seeing Miss Stephenson as "The Bruce" yet.

Is she as erotically charged?

"I'm Fiona Bruce, don't turn over, I like you that way".
    She plays it differently. The running joke is her nicking all the expensive antiques.