✭✭✭
    Ryany Giggsy Wiggsy - isn't it?
    Marvellous.:D

Tough luck Petrolheads.
  • Options
    bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How on earth did Giggs manage to win i thought it would of been Jenson or one of the other it not right:(
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well he didnt deserve it this year

and where's the personality?

Exactly what is wrong with being quiet, modest and unassuming! makes a change from the overblown braggarts!
  • Options
    StardogStardog Posts: 2,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why everyone was complaining when he won PFA Player of the Year. He's done nothing special this year and was only awarded it because he's 35 and coming to the end of his career. Now it's the same thing for SPOTY.

He shouldn't have been up for the award and pretty much made this entire show pointless.

Ennis probably should've won. F1 is too focused on the car, even with the new rules, hence him getting nowhere before Brawn.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done Ryan, love your hairy legs. Used to have your posters all over my wall but my hubbie ripped them up.(liverpoo fan.)
  • Options
    hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Utterly pathetic, and only because there's more idiots who like football than intelligent people watch F1

Button was completely robbed
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tasker wrote: »
    WTF Ryan F*****g Giggs

its the oscar syndrome - give him an award before he dies

he's done sod all compared to the other two :mad:

I was as surprised as many that Ryan won, but I'd say giving Seve his award was more down to the fact he's been ill.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What has Giggs done in the last twelve months to warrent winning this?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I voted for Jessica - to have the mental strength to come back from the injury that made her miss the Olympics and then win the World Title was admirable. Plus she's from round these parts. Oh, and I have a teeny bit of a crush on her....

As I'm a Liverpool fan, I'm probably not the best person to comment on Ryan Giggs' win! (plus I'm very grumpy after today's result).
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Stardog wrote: »
    This is why everyone was complaining when he won PFA Player of the Year. He's done nothing special this year and was only awarded it because he's 35 and coming to the end of his career. Now it's the same thing for SPOTY.

He shouldn't have been up for the award and pretty much made this entire show pointless.

Ennis probably should've won. F1 is too focused on the car, even with the new rules, hence him getting nowhere before Brawn.

Ennis or give it to Daley for doing so much so young or Tweddle for doing so much better than anyone in her sport ever has before - against the world as competition too. UK Football player of the year is something someone has to win every year. Driving a car doesn't excite me either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very dissapointing as far as I am concerned. When a football player beats people who have become world champions in their respective sports, something is VERY VERY wrong with the competition in my opinion.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cbcdesign wrote: »
    Very dissapointing as far as I am concerned. When a football player beats people who have become world champions in their respective sports, something is VERY VERY wrong with the competition in my opinion.

Bring back voting via postcard. Telephone voting only encourages numpties who know how to hit the redial button.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    This individual award has long since been about 'personality' or annual sporting success.

It's the 'Annual BBC public vote award that justifies a big sunday night award ceremony which goes to show that they are still big players in TV sport coverage (even though SkySports has 90% of the UK sport that really matters)' :rolleyes:

I'm sure the ratings were good which is all that they will be concerned about.

NB Women's cricket was robbed, well done BBC!
  • Options
    chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well he didnt deserve it this year

and where's the personality?

Who did you vote for?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robston wrote: »
    NB Women's cricket was robbed, well done BBC!

On that I agree. The men were fortunate against a poor Australian team but otherwise had a poor year (they lost to the West Indies). The women beat everyone in sight. What more could they have done?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    What has Giggs done in the last twelve months to warrent winning this?

Becoming the most decorated player in English football history?

Nice one Giggsy, whats even better is how wound up everyone is about this.

'Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs, running down the wing...'
  • Options
    TribecTribec Posts: 9,331
    Forum Member
    Giggs has played some of his best football over the past 12 months, which added to the fact his age, he's been quite brilliant.

However, I think you have to look at how the choice is made, it's a public vote and like it or not, Giggs playing for Manchester United was at a clear advantage, with it's huge fan base. Whilst no obvious campaigns were launched by club or fan sites to openly encourage votes for Giggs, the amount of United fans voting for Giggs out numbered the others up for the award.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As Patsy in Absolutely Fabulous famously said: "Sports personality of the year? Contradiction in terms, sweetie".

Says all there is to be said.
  • Options
    Flashy VicFlashy Vic Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't he beat the living shite out of a girlfriend outside a nightclub about a decade ago?

Yep, he actually is a role model for the aspiring young footballing professional.
  • Options
    playitagainplayitagain Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    whats giggs done this year ,won the league title (again)won the league cup(again) in the european cup final(again)
    but for me it was a surprise he beat jenson and before you say i do not support man u .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Flashy Vic wrote: »
    Didn't he beat the living shite out of a girlfriend outside a nightclub about a decade ago?

Yep, he actually is a role model for the aspiring young footballing professional.

Where did you get that from? :confused: :rolleyes: Utter nonsense. Giggs is a great professional and a great role model, very well deserved I say :)
  • Options
    Olls~Olls~ Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted for Jessica and David but i didn't expect them to win, I thought Jenson had it in the bag.

Was pretty shocked to say the least at Giggs getting it. Not my choice, but good for him.
  • Options
    Olls~Olls~ Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voting figures (from BBC website)

Ryan Giggs (151,842)
    Jenson Button (96,770)
    Jessica Ennis (80,469)
    Mark Cavendish (55,960)
    Beth Tweddle (38,907)
    Tom Daley (36,929)
    Andy Murray (19,936)
    Andrew Strauss (17,237)
    David Haye (13,916)
    Phillips Idowu (4,507)

He won by quite a way :eek:
  • Options
    Corky DukeCorky Duke Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whats giggs done this year ,won the league title (again)won the league cup(again) in the european cup final(again)

He did all that on his own then did he, on that basis then the whole Man Utd team should of won it.
    This is a player who used to get injured when his national side were playing in a friendly, yet he recovered from his injury very quickly to play for Man Utd 4 days later.

Button should of won it, he doesn't have 10 other players plus referee to help him out when he's on the track.

Phil Taylor left out again, 14 world titles and the first player to hold all major titles in one year, maybe because he plays in the PDC the BBC arnt interested, although if a BDO darts player player hit anywhere near them heights (silly I know) then the BBC would be all over it as they cover BDO events
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lcfctom wrote: »
    And Mark Cavendish not up there one of the greatest achievements of a Brit in sport that will probably never be surpassed (except by him)

Should have been

1 JB
    2 Cav
    3 Jess Ennis

So a never to be surpassed sporting achievment gets you second place?:confused: