Options

The Restaurant 2009

Comments

• Options
    cakeholecakehole Posts: 1,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lady Arran's dogs were the only redeeming feature of this programme - how cute were they?

It seems that winking gets you everywhere, I'm trying to perfect the 'Magic Wink' for my interview as a brain surgeon tomorrow. (I am a World Class candidate, I know what a scalpel is).
  • Options
    river27river27 Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't watch the final as I couldn't bear to watch a programme I've loved in the previous 2 series, turned into a farce. Looks like I didn't miss much!

This series has been more about the "concept", rather than the cooking. RB bought the concept and forgot about the winkers failings. Whether the Summer House can be turned into a commercial proposition is another matter...
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Opening soon, a cocktail bar with microwave snacks at exorbitant prices.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did we even see any knife sharpening this year?

Probably a good job we didn't, some of them may have never made it to the end alive.
  • Options
    parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iain wrote: »
    JJ and James blagged their way to the final

Those are the exact words I came here to post. I feel cheated by the BBC, who dumbed down this series to moron level, and I'm aghast that RB agreed to it - but I wonder if the decision to do so was taken after they saw what a sorry bunch they had to work with this year.

I can see that the runners-up were not likely to create and maintain an inspiring restaurant - but there was no couple amongst the contestants who had any prospect of doing that, no matter how much training they received.

I hope that Chris's efforts result in doors opening for him.

parthena
  • Options
    MerseymikeMerseymike Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    About time they gave Raymondo and the gruesome twosome a rest. Blanc's 'concept' of a brasserie (overpriced, need you ask) fell flat on its face in Manchester - his 'concepts' only work in London and the south-east.

So the winners will no doubt have their trendy bar in London , where James will ooze charm, JJ will make cocktails, and someone else will produce the overpriced food.

All a bit of a joke. They may have some business nous but left on their own they couldn't even cook a basic risotto or sorbet.

What happened to couple no.2 - I know the first fled after 3 months?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion JJ and James should have gone out very early on in the competition due to an inabilty on JJ's behalf to actually be able to cook a meal.
    Totally agree. Every week I was expecting them to be kicked out. I can't believe they've actually won it when he can't cook / won't cook / is too damn lazy.
  • Options
    mincepiemincepie Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really it's Raymond Blanc's The Apprentice!! The joke is alas on us viewers for thinking that we were watching a show to find the best chef - no they were looking for a new business opportunity.:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Merseymike wrote: »
    About time they gave Raymondo and the gruesome twosome a rest. Blanc's 'concept' of a brasserie (overpriced, need you ask) fell flat on its face in Manchester - his 'concepts' only work in London and the south-east.

So the winners will no doubt have their trendy bar in London , where James will ooze charm, JJ will make cocktails, and someone else will produce the overpriced food.

All a bit of a joke. They may have some business nous but left on their own they couldn't even cook a basic risotto or sorbet.

What happened to couple no.2 - I know the first fled after 3 months?

http://micheleandrussell.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Thing is Raymond has his own fixed ideas about food and wouldn't want to go in to business with anyone that might pipe up and say "hang on there a mo' I like what you a saying but there may be a slightly different way of doing that!" and likes to promote his 'Je suis père et mentor' image... jees i'm sorry dad!

David wouldn't like to be accused of having OCD and there might be more entertaining and slight scruffy ways of doing "theatre" , the food stalls in the the square in Marrakech spring to mind! or a crusty juggler out front of a food stall at Glastonbury!

And Sarah would probably have thought coal was a loverly snack if somebody had served it up with a nice Jus!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dome wrote: »

There's a surprise - posh Thameside town full of people with more money than sense. I should know, I was brought up in the godforsaken pretentious hole and remember the H&H when it was a pub!
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mutter wrote: »
    Dosh, Paace. The three investors are cashing in on the cocktail boom. Sod integrity, good cooking and food. Let's get in now before the fad fades.

None of the three had any idea before this, how much was to be made from cocktails, so all three sold their integrity for a quick dime. They make me puke.

Some years ago, after watching Corrie for an age, I suddenly realised how stupid the storyline was.
    The local stud turned gay in an instant? Something like that.

I realised then that I had been a fool to watch it, and never watched again. I even switch off the trailers.

That is my feeling now on Restaurant and I'm sure many RP's to follow.

RIP, reality TV. Your killer was last seen heading toward Oxfordshire. Or should that be retreating?

Very true mutter and so sad. What a shame though that RB and the BBC would agree to such a sham and fiasco and insult so many viewers as well as the thousands of honest, decent good chefs who applied . I thought of all the celeb chefs RB had some integrity, as i also thought this Sarah person had.
  • Options
    FortyTwo25FortyTwo25 Posts: 5,170
    Forum Member
    I want to contact Blanc. How do I go about it? His website keeps crashing my laptop!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Paace wrote: »
    Very true mutter and so sad. What a shame though that RB and the BBC would agree to such a sham and fiasco and insult so many viewers as well as the thousands of honest, decent good chefs who applied . I thought of all the celeb chefs RB had some integrity, as i also thought this Sarah person had.

LOL, she's just aching to launch a new High Street chain - but can't see picnic food and cocktails working up here. Still, given that Blanc's brasserie crashed in Manchester and they always cherry-pick southerners, no surprise there
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did I not say last week the winners would be the winkers!! Good grief what has the world come to! Winners of a cooking comp and they can't even cook . I knew they had it in the bag when they pulled off that cocktail souffle (my arse!!)

Monsiour Blanc if you reading this please, SIL VOUS PLAIT) bring back the old format. I couldn't bear to watch another mediocre series like this one!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    I'm so disappointed in this 3rd series - no wonder the ratings didn't even reach 1m.

The couples all seemed highly uninspiring from the off, and the winners came across as a pair of posh wide boys to whom food was a mere sideline to their passion for pretty coloured beverages.

Just embarrassing really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose Blanc and his chums (oh how could you sweet Sarah) can pick who the hell they want but why, oh why did they have to pretend that COOKING was part of the selection process?

The winkers may indeed have the best concept but to become the winners of the contest they (well JJ at least) were supposed to be able to COOK, why else have COOKERY shallonges every week?

Why didn't Mr. White have the balls to say, after a week or two, 'Let's call this charade off' and just proceed to do a deal with the floppy haired drips?

I personally don't care much who won, I just think the BBC could have been more honest and open about what the competition was really about.

As for crazy Ray, sweet Sarah, funny old David and their new chums - Good Luck, you're going to f**cking need it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sends out a great signal to any youth watching the show...lie, blag, bullshit and don't put yourselves out too much and that'll win you prizes. Graft and you'll get kicked in the balls
  • Options
    Duke of EarlDuke of Earl Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FortyTwo25 wrote: »
    I want to contact Blanc. How do I go about it? His website keeps crashing my laptop!

http://www.raymondblanc.com/contacts.aspx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    Yeah that was a bag of crap. BBC please save our money and don't commission another series. Spend it on Hole in the Wall or some other high brow show.

And Raymond, get to St Pancras, take your fee from this travesty of a show and buy a ticket on Eurostar, one way!!
  • Options
    breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never in the history of television broadcast was done so much wrong by so few.

What a travesty.

Now we just have to wait for Buck Tarbursh to salvage this wreck.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    What a total farce of a program
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks

I have just sent M Blanc a very heartfelt note!:D
  • Options
    JoannexxJoannexx Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

thanks for the link, just left my opinion of the series in the comments
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don’t forget these tosseurs may be on Breakfast tomorrow and last time Le Blank Cheque didn’t get an easy ride so hopefully Charlie and minxy Susanna will be critical of the ludicrous result.
This discussion has been closed.