Options

insult to muslims

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok right, lets clear this up for once and for all...
    I am a Pakistani Muslim exactly like the Masood family.
    1.) I dont cover my head - however based on what I believe, I believe as long as my legs and chest isn't showing I'm fine. The Masoods dress more or less the same and NONE of my family, relatives, cousins or even Muslim friends, are offended by the way they dress because we all dress more or less the same.

2.) I sing carols. You seem to talk (catsmeow) as if its some great big sin. But in Islam you would know that Muslims believe in Jesus p.b.u.h as one of the Prophets. So why can't we sing about him? He is as dominant in our religion as he is in Christianity.

3.) The gay storyline between Christian and Syed is like maria said a "social" issue and is currently being sensitively handled. I'm actually totally FOR Christian and Syed getting together !!

4.) You're complaining about nobody wishing the Masood's a 'Happy Eid'... are you really that petty? Did you see them running around wishing all Christians a Happy Xmas?

5.) You complain about other characters not fasting ... why should they, they're not Muslims afterr all? Also, you should just be happy that they even extensively mentioned it how many times they did. Because that would have taught a lot of people about the month of Ramadaan.

6.) Finally, I as a young British Pakistani Muslim girl, am EXTREMELY proud to have the Masood family being represented in the way that they are. I love them and they a breath of fresh air IMO. Also, I see a lot of my own family in them which is pleasant to see. I think that the previous attempt from EE to represent an Asian family was with the Ferraria's and I utterly hated them!

Nina Wadia, Nitin Ginatra, Marc Elliot, Himesh Patel and the girl who plays Shabs (sorry I've forgotten her name) all do a FANTASIC job in showing the Masood's and I cant be any more proud!

PS - Catsmeow, you've quite conveniently forgotten to mention other things that the BBC have done to show Muslim Pakistani families in an authentic way such as: Mentioning the Mosque, Showing Syed reading Namaaz, Zainab and Masood's dialogues in Urdu/Panjabi, cooking Asian food and more ... so I think you need to look at how well they've portrayed them and stop finding silly things to pick on!!!
  • Options
    Indigo DugganIndigo Duggan Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    catsmeow wrote: »
    are the masoods bbcs idea of a positive image of muslims. for example the gay storyline, zainab and shabnam not wearing headscarves, and most recently the masoods singing carols in the square christmas night! that is outrageous and the actors involved should have refused to sing hymns.
    i did not notice anyone else in the square fasting with the masoods during ramadan and i dont recall anyone wishing eid mubark to them. this is a mockery and just bbc islam, not the real islam.
    I alluded to this in another thread, it seems since syed's arrival the family got whitewashed and started compromising the strict values we were first led to believe they had..And is it any wonder that since the gayness, trips to the pub and heavy interaction with the beales now EE viewrs are firmly behind the family..But when they owned the post office, took trips to the mosque and only shared scenes with denise fox ppl hated them :rolleyes:
  • Options
    LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I alluded to this in another thread, it seems since syed's arrival the family got whitewashed and started compromising the strict values we were first led to believe they had..And is it any wonder that since the gayness, trips to the pub and heavy interaction with the beales now EE viewrs are firmly behind the family..But when they owned the post office, took trips to the mosque and only shared scenes with denise fox ppl hated them :rolleyes:

Ive never hated them, i liked them right from the start so no changes from me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,005
    Forum Member

thank you indigo, that was the word i was looking for - whitewash
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok right, lets clear this up for once and for all...
    I am a Pakistani Muslim exactly like the Masood family.
    1.) I dont cover my head - however based on what I believe, I believe as long as my legs and chest isn't showing I'm fine. The Masoods dress more or less the same and NONE of my family, relatives, cousins or even Muslim friends, are offended by the way they dress because we all dress more or less the same.

2.) I sing carols. You seem to talk (catsmeow) as if its some great big sin. But in Islam you would know that Muslims believe in Jesus p.b.u.h as one of the Prophets. So why can't we sing about him? He is as dominant in our religion as he is in Christianity.

3.) The gay storyline between Christian and Syed is like maria said a "social" issue and is currently being sensitively handled. I'm actually totally FOR Christian and Syed getting together !!

4.) You're complaining about nobody wishing the Masood's a 'Happy Eid'... are you really that petty? Did you see them running around wishing all Christians a Happy Xmas?

5.) You complain about other characters not fasting ... why should they, they're not Muslims afterr all? Also, you should just be happy that they even extensively mentioned it how many times they did. Because that would have taught a lot of people about the month of Ramadaan.

6.) Finally, I as a young British Pakistani Muslim girl, am EXTREMELY proud to have the Masood family being represented in the way that they are. I love them and they a breath of fresh air IMO. Also, I see a lot of my own family in them which is pleasant to see. I think that the previous attempt from EE to represent an Asian family was with the Ferraria's and I utterly hated them!

Nina Wadia, Nitin Ginatra, Marc Elliot, Himesh Patel and the girl who plays Shabs (sorry I've forgotten her name) all do a FANTASIC job in showing the Masood's and I cant be any more proud!

PS - Catsmeow, you've quite conveniently forgotten to mention other things that the BBC have done to show Muslim Pakistani families in an authentic way such as: Mentioning the Mosque, Showing Syed reading Namaaz, Zainab and Masood's dialogues in Urdu/Panjabi, cooking Asian food and more ... so I think you need to look at how well they've portrayed them and stop finding silly things to pick on!!!

thanks for this, this is really interesting :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Sarah! It was worth spending 5 minutes typing it out then :)
  • Options
    KellerKeller Posts: 5,970
    Forum Member
    I notice catsmeow hasn't replied to any of the comments apart from the only one that agrees with them. Interesting but not surprising.

By the way ChryedCrazy, a very interesting post, thank you for sharing your thoughts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Keller wrote: »
    I notice catsmeow hasn't replied to any of the comments apart from the only one that agrees with them. Interesting but not surprising.

what you want me to say, no one will agree with me anyway
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catsmeow- If you dont mind me asking, are you a Pakistani Muslim??

Edit: Keller, thanks :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member

was just going to ask this....op are you personally offended by the portrayal of the masoods on ee? why do you assume its therefore an insult to all muslims in general?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

well maybe if you had a good argument or point, people may agree with you :rolleyes:
  • Options
    KellerKeller Posts: 5,970
    Forum Member

Well usually it's a discussion, I thought some of the points others made were valid but maybe you may have had something else to add considering you started the thread. People very rarely agree on forums, that's often the point of debate and discussion.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Edit: Keller, thanks :)

no i am not pakistani but my husband is. i am a revert. maybe that is why i am so strict, huh?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evamoo wrote: »
    was just going to ask this....op are you personally offended by the portrayal of the masoods on ee? why do you assume its therefore an insult to all muslims in general?

Op?

It's not me whose offended! Its catsmeow, I'm sticking up for the Masood's and saying that as a Pakistani Muslim, I'm not offended at all!

Sarah - Thank you very much :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Keller wrote: »
    Well usually it's a discussion, I thought some of the points others made were valid but maybe you may have had something else to add considering you started the thread. People very rarely agree on forums, that's often the point of debate and discussion.

i thought that more people would side with me, i am not in the mood to be the only one on my side of the debate
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well catsmeow I think you need to understand that the BBC have shown the Masood's in a very good light, they've mentioned all important symbolic events, shown them if possible and if you've seen the spoilers/pictures for the wedding on NYD then you will see just how closely they stick to Islam by following out all the correct traditions and rituals.
    You've vented your dislike for them before and I really can NOT understand why you keep making these threads when the vast minority agree with you... are you hoping that with every thread you convert another person?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    Op?

It's not me whose offended! Its catsmeow, I'm sticking up for the Masood's and saying that as a Pakistani Muslim, I'm not offended at all!

op means opening poster...:)

i was just wondering how it can be generalised to all muslims, maybe some are insulted? but the op seems to be saying its an insult to muslims in general? :confused:

the wedding scenes look amazing...im sure there'l be somthing 'wrong' tho!
  • Options
    Murray MintMurray Mint Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member
    I think the OP is being very PC. Muslims do join in with their surrounding community. I know Asian people who give Christmas cards and gifts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought that more people would side with me, i am not in the mood to be the only one on my side of the debate

It is nothing to do with 'siding'... seeing as you started this thread, then you should be able to follow it through...

A debate only needs to people with conflicting opinions and we have that. So I dont know what you're waiting for ... a mass brawl on DS?

You've stated your opinion, I've contradicted it ... So is there anything you want to add? If not, then admit it, deep down, you know I'm right :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i do not dislike the masoods. i dislike how the bbc are portraying them. however i would have little respect for a family like the masoods as muslims. there is integration in communities - and there is also going too far to integrate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Evamoo ...
    I dont mean to sound computer illiterate but what is PC?

Evamoo - I'm assuming Catsmeow is 'apprently' speaking on behalf of everyone but let it be known that just about every Muslim I have discussed EE Masood's with, they actually like them. The majority of them don't agree with Syed's sexuality but obviously that is a different issue all together.

MurrayMint - I'm one of them! I give Xmas cards every year without fail, I also took part in a secret santa! But that doesnt make me any 'less Muslim' (that is directed at catsmeow) :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    RB4 wrote: »
    Just to comment on one point. I didn't see them singing, and if they were, they weren't much, they would've been murmuring. I saw them, thought 'What're they doing there?' then saw they were barely singing. I don't think it would be an insult to my religion if I sang a muslim song?

I think I might have to check on that, I did remember them not singing that much anyway. You might be right.

Yeah I don't think it would be an insult if anyone else's religion were to sing a Muslim song but I don't think there is any so don't worry on that lol.

Just like ChryedCrazy, I am a Pakistani Muslim as well and I'm proud on how the Masood family are portrayed.

I don't cover my head either but I'm always dressed appropriately and so do the Masoods. The Gay storyline from the start was always going to be sensitive for the Muslim audience but what we have to remember is that we DO have gay Muslims around so it would be unrealistic to not show this in EastEnders, hats off to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i do not dislike the masoods. i dislike how the bbc are portraying them. however i would have little respect for a family like the masoods as muslims. there is integration in communities - and there is also going too far to integrate.

You do realise that you have actually contradicted yourself?
    i do not dislike the masoods.

with
    i would have little respect for a family like the masoods as muslims.

There is nothing WRONG with the way that they are being portrayed!!!

Not EVERY single Pakistani Muslim covers their hair! I don't! My mother doesn't neither does my sister! My aunty does! But thats because she feels comfortable like that.

The BBC have put an Asian family on primetime TV at peak hour in front of 8 odd million viewers. So far NO ONE has complained about them, yet you are insisting that they are an insult to Muslims ... Apart from yourself, I doubt any Muslims would agree!

I remember the Ferrari's getting a lot of complaints and I did not appreciate the way they've been portrayed! They were not authentic in the slightest and everything about them was 'fake'... however the Masood's are the complete opposite! And like I said before, I see a LOT of myself and my family in the Masood's, so if I can, well BBC must be doing something right eh?
  • Options
    Murray MintMurray Mint Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member
    I am friends with a number of gay Muslim men. They are proud of their sexuality. Most of them have also been accepted by their friends and families.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nurse M wrote: »
    I think I might have to check on that, I did remember them not singing that much anyway. You might be right.

Yeah I don't think it would be an insult if anyone else's religion were to sing a Muslim song but I don't think there is any so don't worry on that lol.

Just like ChryedCrazy, I am a Pakistani Muslim as well and I'm proud on how the Masood family are portrayed.

I don't cover my head either but I'm always dressed appropriately and so do the Masoods. The Gay storyline from the start was always going to be sensitive for the Muslim audience but what we have to remember is that we DO have gay Muslims around so it would be unrealistic to not show this in EastEnders, hats off to them.

Thank you very much! I am SO glad that you agree with me :D
This discussion has been closed.