Options

New Doctor Who Fan (Part Davison)

Comments

• Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said that too :o

Lol, I didn't, though i did have a tear in my eye. The bit that really got me was the scene with Rose though, as it was the sense of going full circle, knowing that one day soon Rose will wake up, go to work and meet Nine and so it begins a new....soppy I know!:o
  • Options
    weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    *humphhhhhhhhhhh* *sniffffff* *pffffffffffft*

Doctor Ten is no more
    and Weedle is a sad Deedle

:cry:

it was the Ood what set me off..........

*their* song......

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!

I must be the only Whoonie who likes the Cactuses - sorry!! :eek: :D CACTI!

and Mr W has just asked "what DID happen to the Master?" cos we never SAW him brown bread!! :eek: :confused:

I squeed when I saw Martha, half squeed at the Tin Dog :D and double squeed with knobs on when I saw Captain Jack and Alonso Frame! *chuckles*

but..........still a bit concerned about Rose's/Billie Piper's Hampstead's :eek: :o

I give it 9/10

DT and Wilf - their "teary eyed" scenes - would make a glass eye cry!!
  • Options
    Eowyn WEowyn W Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    theres a nice RTD thread out there you might want to look at before it gets invaded, guys...:)

Too late - there is an invasion, though a gentle and polite one.

DT just asked a question on the Big Fat Quiz of the Year!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eowyn W wrote: »
    Too late - there is an invasion, though a gentle and polite one.

DT just asked a question on the Big Fat Quiz of the Year!

*splutters*

you clearly didn't see the posys removed..;)

*sends email to Jan Moir*
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *humphhhhhhhhhhh* *sniffffff* *pffffffffffft*

Doctor Ten is no more
    and Weedle is a sad Deedle

:cry:

it was the Ood what set me off..........

*their* song......

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!

and Mr W has just asked "what DID happen to the Master?" cos we never SAW him brown bread!! :eek: :confused:

I squeed when I saw Martha, half squeed at the Tin Dog :D and double squeed with knobs on when I saw Captain Jack and Alonso Frame! *chuckles*

but..........still a bit concerned about Rose's/Billie Piper's Hampstead's :eek: :o

I give it 9/10

DT and Wilf - their "teary eyed" scenes - would make a glass eye cry!!

I really liked them. Actually, atm, I don't recall anything that I didn't like.
  • Options
    kw4121kw4121 Posts: 3,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there is a great wallpaper at the newly regerated bbc Doctorwho site here is the direct link http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/medialibrary/images/misc/11th_doctor/main-promo/11th_doctor_wal_06.jpg

and have never noticed it before but doesnt MS look a lot like PD !!!!

Kenneth
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kw4121 wrote: »
    there is a great wallpaper at the newly regerated bbc Doctorwho site here is the direct link http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/medialibrary/images/misc/11th_doctor/main-promo/11th_doctor_wal_06.jpg

and have never noticed it before but doesnt MS look a lot like PD !!!!

Kenneth

It already graces the background of my laptop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SPOILERS BELOW, which I'm not spoilering as it's just aired.

*phew*

Over all, I really liked part two, moreso than part one, but want to rewatch the whole thing together. I guess that lead TimeLord was Rassilon, wasn't he? In light of The Five Doctors the characterization seemed right? Not so heroic as one might think, not so noble, not so much of a good guy. Rather like Omega, eh? I kind of like that - that the heroes of Gallifrey, the ancient and brilliant TimeLords that discovered the ability to travel through time, set up Gallifreyans as being all that and a bag of chips, etc, but turn out to be rather power-mad and not that heroic. A nation's heroes often turn out to have feet made of clay, and this fits in with Doctor Who's general anti-authoritarian bent.

Having caught up from where I first posted I must say I can certainly see the validity of the criticisms, although they didn't bother me personally - except for Martha and Mickey marrying! WTF?? Shoe-horned in, indeed. Ok they need closure, but why have them marry each other? Does. not. follow. Ah well - a tiny moment, at least. I thought the Star Wars-y scenes were meant to be a classic Who-ish... um... nuts, what the heck is the word?? My mind's a blank. What I mean is that I felt like RTD was fully intending to reference SW, for fun. I thought it a bit cheesy, but kind of enjoyed it nonetheless. Mind you, I really like the Brain of Morbius, and that one is sooooo derivative! Holy moly! But it knows it is and has fun with it, so I enjoy it. I felt that RTD was doing that with SW here. But can see why others might just get eye-rolly, heh.

The good-byes did go on for some time, yes. Our connection stopped several times while we were watching it so I wonder if maybe that helped my response to it. We sat there and talked about it for several minutes before it started again, then it only showed a bit from the wedding, then stopped again. Maybe the break gave us a breather so it didn't feel like it was dragging on too long for us? My view may change on re-watching!

I also thought "I don't want you to go either!!" when Ten said his last line. :(

I did like what I saw of Eleven, though! :D All his yattering on about his new body (checking out his nose, commenting that he's had worse :p). Not keen on the "Geronimo!!" :o I hope that's not going to be his signature saying! Bleh. I thought the reference to being female was RTD's little comment on all the fandom's constant kerfuffle at the notion, so I liked it - not so much his "oh no!" about it (why would he care?) - unless I'm remembering it wrong. But clearly he cannot control the process the way Romana could!

With regards to the woman in white who was also one of the two who voted against Rassilon's idea of ending time, I thought at first it was
    the Doctor's mother, but then I thought - it could be Romana, either older or in another regeneration. That would explain the emotional connection they had. But so sad to think of Romana stuck there/dead there, etc
    :(

(why am I spoilering that, but not the rest? because everyone else has? should I spoiler the whole thing? I don't know!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *splutters*

you clearly didn't see the posys removed..;)

*sends email to Jan Moir*

*goes hunting for Big Fat Quiz of the Year to figure out the, bleh, Jan Moir, reference*
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Hate to say it, but.. was that it?

Like the first part, didn't do anything for me unfortunately.

The first half hour dragged and the second seemed rushed.

Sorry RTD, but I didn't like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate to say it, but.. was that it?

Like the first part, didn't do anything for me unfortunately.

The first half hour dragged and the second seemed rushed.

Sorry RTD, but I didn't like it.

well, you can't win them all.

I thought the first part was kind of a 7/8 out of ten, but this was close to a ten for me, but it wasn't perfect, so gets a 9!:)
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    well, you can't win them all.

I thought the first part was kind of a 7/8 out of ten, but this was close to a ten for me, but it wasn't perfect, so gets a 9!:)

I wish it could have.

For what it's worth I thought the final 15 minutes were a brilliant send off, it's the other 60 that annoyed me.
  • Options
    kw4121kw4121 Posts: 3,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It already graces the background of my laptop.

Lol mine to for the near future it will probably go back to being the lovely pic of catherine bell i have on there most of the time though :o:p

Ken

Pic linky http://www.hotterbabes.com/celebrities/pictures/CatherineBell/nude/catherine_bell_010.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Loved it, but I'm easily pleased and entertained, sat open mouthed through it all (probably dribbled a bit) shed tears (although more on confidential) so exciting, and I just felt I was watching a film, how amazing if these 2 episodes could've been shown on a cinema screen, I know there were plot holes and stuff, but the acting from david, john, wilf and sylvia, just wow definately one of my favourite episodes, still missing David but new trailer looks great, and can't wait to see the magic that David will bring to his next role
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eowyn W wrote: »
    There was not much that I didn't like - not keen on the Vinvocci, though "Worst! Rescue! Ever!" did make me laugh! :D

Did anyone else think of Spearhead From Space at that moment? I don't know if it was intentional reference, but even those narrow corridors with walls covered in dark wood looked similar! I was hooting. :D

Especially since Spearhead is my favorite post-regeneration story together with Christmas Invasion. For me it was like the Doctor came full circle (again!), in a completely crazy but wonderful way. I was moved by that just as much as by the scenes at the end...
    Solamenn wrote: »
    We still don't know who the woman is. She could be his mother, I mean that would be the most obvious answer, but I like to think that she is Susan. The Doctor had after all a very strong tie with her.
    Funnily enough, I thought about Susan too. At the end of her scene with Wilf, when she said something about being long lost or something (I don't remember exact words).

"That's racist!" :p

No, you're not the only one. ;)
    Crowfoot wrote: »
    Having caught up from where I first posted I must say I can certainly see the validity of the criticisms, although they didn't bother me personally - except for Martha and Mickey marrying! WTF?? Shoe-horned in, indeed. Ok they need closure, but why have them marry each other? Does. not. follow.
    Yes, it's a shame, because other than that, I loved that scene.
    It was great and actually surprising to see them again, especially Martha. I liked that she was "back in black", fighting, and (blasphemy!) enjoying it...
    And how appropriate for Ten to save her life! And her reaction when she saw him...
  • Options
    weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    ooooooooooooh some contentious scandal already!!! :eek:

Mr W was listening to the radio in the kitchen - it was a phone in on Talk Sport of all stations - guesss what they were discussing? ;)

Mr W came rushing in to tell me that some blokie had 'phoned in MOANING AND RAGING that Doctor Eleven's opening lines were "and I am still not ginger!"

and he was soooooooooooooooo angry :mad: (the blokie not Eleven ;) ) shouting over the airwaves something along the lines of:

"how DARE HE??!! my daughter is ginger and will be verbally abused and have the pee taken out of her all because of this programme...." etc etc

:rolleyes:

IMO - as one from a family of "gingas" ;) it is up to the parents to instil a pride in an offspring's appearance. Easily said I know :o but for him to rush to his daughter's defence is IMO to almost AGREE with the comment that is horrible to be a red head!!! By bringing it to attention that this line of the script could be defamatory, sort of highlights it as problem!

I wonder if it was one of Moff's lines or by RTD - where does the script handover begin? :confused: - even so, if it's one of Moff's - poor bloke he's in for a hard time if lines like that are picked up on :rolleyes:

if it's one of Russell's - well, he'll be used to it ;)

I know we have discussed the "being a red head" scenario before because of CT's stunning hair colour......
    and I love my reddish hair!
  • Options
    NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    The thing that shocked me the most was Mickey and Martha!!! What on Earth happened to Tom? Did she cheat on him with Mickey?

That had been spoilered, but I discounted it at the time. Seems unlikely, but good for Mickey, the poor lad's been treated so badly by Rose from Day 1, much like Martha was by the Doctor.
    Tumpy wrote: »
    Alonso in Torchwood now that would be brilliant but I think Russell Tovey in Being Human would stop that happening.

No reason it should. Russell's already in other show apart from Being Human - one set entirely in a couple's bedroom. Torchwood 4 hasn't been commissioned yet, nor has Being Human 3. Makes me feel a lot better about Ianto's death. Unfair, I know, but I can see the honourable, dutiful Midshipman Frame loving Jack as much as Ianto did. And no question, the snogging scenes will be better.
    I did like what I saw of Eleven, though! :D All his yattering on about his new body (checking out his nose, commenting that he's had worse :p). Not keen on the "Geronimo!!" :o I hope that's not going to be his signature saying! Bleh. I thought the reference to being female was RTD's little comment on all the fandom's constant kerfuffle at the notion

With regards to the woman in white who was also one of the two who voted against Rassilon's idea of ending time, I thought at first it was
    the Doctor's mother, but then I thought - it could be Romana, either older or in another regeneration. That would explain the emotional connection they had. But so sad to think of Romana stuck there/dead there, etc
    :(

RTD said he didn't write a line for Matt, so we can thank/blame the Moff for that. Racist, sexist, homophobic fans are always convinced the new guy is going to see things their way, so let their whining and moaning commence immediately!

We've also seen from the trailer that the snogging continues unabated!

Loved the "lots of fingers" bit. It's when I saw Matt's incessant finger-wiggling on Doctor Who Confidential a year ago that he became the Doctor for me.

Yes, the goodbyes (starting with the four knocks) were long, especially as I was bawling all through them. The scene with Luke and Sarah Jane was clearly written before the Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith, as Luke realised it was the Doctor instead of just recognising him. Oh well, can't be helped that.

I wish Donna could have got her memories back, but for once RTD didn't hit the big reset switch. Happy, married and rich - there are certainly worse fates in life. (You could be married to Mickey, poor, and getting shot at by aliens, for example).

Jack and Alonso - is it just me, or do other people get really annoyed seeing Capt. Jack in serious relationships with women? And if so, why is that? Russell Tovey being straight as George on Being Human, Gavin and Stacey and almost everything else I've ever seen him him (bar one episode of Ashes to Ashes and Annually Retentive) doesn't bother me, but Jack seems to me like he could only really be happy in a relationship with a man, whether it be Ianto, Capt. John, or Alonso.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Macek wrote: »
    Yes, it's a shame, because other than that, I loved that scene.
    It was great and actually surprising to see them again, especially Martha. I liked that she was "back in black", fighting, and (blasphemy!) enjoying it...
    And how appropriate for Ten to save her life! And her reaction when she saw him...
    Agreed! I loved all the rest of it :) And I'm not horrified by the marriage thing - I suppose it might make sense for two people who have such strange things in common to connect in other ways as well (other UNIT people have also dealt with alien stuff, but probably not as intimately as Martha and Mickey have). But it just didn't seem to make any sense for the characters IMO.

I didn't think of Spearhead when I watched the bit with the Doctor strapped to the chair - though I did think it reminded me of something, but couldn't quite place it! It's a nice connection to think on now that you mention it. :) (and SfS is a very nice regen story, isn't it? I thought Three was very charming in it)

Re the woman in white: Susan is a very good bet, I would think! I don't remember the bit you half-remembered... could she meant lost as in all the other TL are lost?

I'll be rewatching the whole thing again, and together, which I think will strengthen some of the weaknesses. But I'm too emotionally spent to do it soon. I cried throughout the whole thing! (also sat open-mouthed, Adara :)) Basically whenever Wilf showed any emotion I was :cry:. Man, I love BC!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mr W came rushing in to tell me that some blokie had 'phoned in MOANING AND RAGING that Doctor Eleven's opening lines were "and I am still not ginger!"

and he was soooooooooooooooo angry :mad: (the blokie not Eleven ;) ) shouting over the airwaves something along the lines of:

"how DARE HE??!! my daughter is ginger and will be verbally abused and have the pee taken out of her all because of this programme...." etc etc

I wonder if it was one of Moff's lines or by RTD - where does the script handover begin? :confused: - even so, if it's one of Moff's - poor bloke he's in for a hard time if lines like that are picked up on :rolleyes:

It would be one of the Moff's lines, because RTD has stated he wouldn't write a single line for Matt.

But the fool on the radio didn't get that 11 was upset he wasn't ginger, because he's always wanted to be, echoing 10's sentiments in the Christmas Invasion.

I love how so far (including the Series 5 trailer) the Moff is showing every sign of infuriating the ming mongs as much or more than RTD.

As for the Woman in white and the hidden Time Lord - who cares who they were? Ultimately it was of no importance to this episode And they're gone now, not likely to be seen again. They didn't have to be anyone other than two Time Lords who weren't insane. No requirement to be anyone from the Doctor's past, present or future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ooooooooooooh some contentious scandal already!!!

Mr W was listening to the radio in the kitchen - it was a phone in on Talk Sport of all stations - guesss what they were discussing?

:rolleyes:

IMO - as one from a family of "gingas" ;) it is up to the parents to instil a pride in an offspring's appearance. Easily said I know :o but for him to rush to his daughter's defence is IMO to almost AGREE with the comment that is horrible to be a red head!!! By bringing it to attention that this line of the script could be defamatory, sort of highlights it as problem!

I know we have discussed the "being a red head" scenario before because of CT's stunning hair colour......
    and I love my reddish hair!
    Red hair totally rocks!! I *wish* I had red hair!

My first thought was that it's nice to see a parent defending their kids, but he clearly missed what Eleven was saying! The Doctor *wants* to be a red-head. The lack of red hair is a disappointment. Doctor Who fans already know this, and won't tease a ginger girl because of the program. Non-whovians who watched the program and don't know of the reference might also not tease the gingers amongst them because of that line because it's about being disappointed in not being ginger. Then again, if people are determined to be arses about something like that, they'll do it no matter what other people say about it, pro or con. :(

Re-reading my post before submitting it and I realize what you're saying - that the Dad was inadvertently acknowledging that drawing attention to red hair (even if positive) will encourage people to be teasing jerks about it. Like saying "don't mention homosexuality!!!" because some people are homophobes?
    why are people so weird about red hair? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewbieCanuck got there ahead of me on the ginger front.

Also, interesting point about the Time Lady and the other hidden Time Lord. No, they don't have to be from the Doctor's past/present etc, but there certainly seemed an emotional connection between them. Hard to not wonder about that. Hmm.. in fact, I might argue that because of the emotional connection, perhaps it does indicate a previous relationship of some sort? But maybe I read into it? Time Lady reaches out to Wilf's mind as a means of fighting what's happening not as a personal connection to the Doctor, as she clearly can't fight off Rassilon himself? And that glove!! Was that glove also in TW?? And that shared look between her and the Doctor at the end, just her saying "do it. send us back"? Rather than "hiya Doc, do what you need to do, luv, don't worry about me"? (trying to describe the connection in shorthand - am I making any sense?)
    That had been spoilered, but I discounted it at the time. Seems unlikely, but good for Mickey, the poor lad's been treated so badly by Rose from Day 1, much like Martha was by the Doctor.
    Ah, true enough! Perhaps if we had seen even a sprinkling of something between them before hand it wouldn't have felt so completely out of left-field.
    RTD said he didn't write a line for Matt, so we can thank/blame the Moff for that. Racist, sexist, homophobic fans are always convinced the new guy is going to see things their way, so let their whining and moaning commence immediately!

We've also seen from the trailer that the snogging continues unabated!
    Heh, indeed.
    Loved the "lots of fingers" bit. It's when I saw Matt's incessant finger-wiggling on Doctor Who Confidential a year ago that he became the Doctor for me.
    Yes, the wiggling fingers in that interview sold me on Matt Smith as well! Although I was rather disappointed in that he did seem like a Tennant 2.0. Whether he ends up that way, however, is another thing entirely. The first story of a regeneration often seems to have the Doctor carrying on a bit of the vibe from the previous one, so even the manic-ness in the beginning can be explained by that. Also: Tardis expoding may make one kind of frantic!
    Yes, the goodbyes (starting with the four knocks) were long, especially as I was bawling all through them. The scene with Luke and Sarah Jane was clearly written before the Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith, as Luke realised it was the Doctor instead of just recognising him. Oh well, can't be helped that.
    Of course! Well spotted, I had forgotten about that and just thought that Luke's response seemed a bit odd, but chalked it up to just being taken aback by suddenly having his life saved by the Doctor.
    I wish Donna could have got her memories back, but for once RTD didn't hit the big reset switch. Happy, married and rich - there are certainly worse fates in life. (You could be married to Mickey, poor, and getting shot at by aliens, for example).

Jack and Alonso - is it just me, or do other people get really annoyed seeing Capt. Jack in serious relationships with women? And if so, why is that? Russell Tovey being straight as George on Being Human, Gavin and Stacey and almost everything else I've ever seen him him (bar one episode of Ashes to Ashes and Annually Retentive) doesn't bother me, but Jack seems to me like he could only really be happy in a relationship with a man, whether it be Ianto, Capt. John, or Alonso.
    Agreed about Donna. Wish to have her back, but happy to have her happy and rich!

Interesting about Jack and relationships with women. I haven't seen series 1 and 2 of Torchwood, so I haven't had a chance to see Jack in a relationship with a woman, but I think it might feel... unnatural? Maybe that's why it bugs you? Just doesn't quite ring true to the vibe coming off JB? I dunno.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting about Jack and relationships with women. I haven't seen series 1 and 2 of Torchwood, so I haven't had a chance to see Jack in a relationship with a woman, but I think it might feel... unnatural? Maybe that's why it bugs you? Just doesn't quite ring true to the vibe coming off JB? I dunno.

JI think in Small Worlds, when we see him with Estelle, even though she had obviously aged while he hadn't, you could see he was still smitten with her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JI think in Small Worlds, when we see him with Estelle, even though she had obviously aged while he hadn't, you could see he was still smitten with her.

I definitely think JB is a good enough actor to play a straight man convincingly (or a bi man in a straight relationship) - I hope I didn't imply otherwise. I mean that I could totally see JB playing smitten with a woman and buying it, if that makes sense. I think I can kind of see where NewbieCanuck is coming from? But I'm not sure why. The only thing that came to mind was a kind of.. wrongness. But I'm clearly not the best person to be thinking about this, as there's so much of Jack that I haven't seen yet! I'm just tossing an idea out there... and in thinking of my response further, I think I may have just confused JB energy with Jack energy tbh :o

Does that make any sense? Lol, I think I need to stop talking - I feel like I'm digging myself a hole :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also, interesting point about the Time Lady and the other hidden Time Lord. No, they don't have to be from the Doctor's past/present etc, but there certainly seemed an emotional connection between them. Hard to not wonder about that.

True - but clearly it's (at best) a mystery left for a future story to pick up on, if someone finds some inspiration in it. Much like Jenny. Not a guaranteed foreshadowing, but a door left not open, but not "deadlock sealed" either.
    Ah, true enough! Perhaps if we had seen even a sprinkling of something between them before hand it wouldn't have felt so completely out of left-field.

But of course they only met in the closing moments of Journey's End. We saw them leave with Capt. Jack. No doubt after a day or two at Torchwood one said to the other, "OK, what do you think? A lifetime of sexual harassment from the boss while the office manager stares daggers at us, or we go off on our own?"
    Although I was rather disappointed in that he did seem like a Tennant 2.0. Whether he ends up that way, however, is another thing entirely. The first story of a regeneration often seems to have the Doctor carrying on a bit of the vibe from the previous one, so even the manic-ness in the beginning can be explained by that. Also: Tardis expoding may make one kind of frantic!

Well we see him firing a gun in the Series 5 trailer. He also has the disadvantage of not using a distinctly different accent from the one Tennant used, unlike Tennant versus Eccleston.

I don't know. A big difference between JB and other actors is that I really only know JB as himself (winner of the great Buzzcocks Gay-off) and Capt. Jack, whereas I've seen Russell Tovey in a variety of roles, mainly heterosexual. In fact I joked earlier at the thought of them getting together "Can't. Russell Tovey isn't allowed to play gay roles."

It's probably harder for an actor to convincingly play a pansexual role than a monosexual one. Are we supposed to be truly convinced that Jack could love Chan-tho as easily as Ianto?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hee i'm all hyper and can't sleep!:D

some good reviews for EoT p2 in the media!:)
This discussion has been closed.