Options

New Doctor Who Fan (Part Davison)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Up to the Master destroying the Timelords. I think it's great that he got to be the saviour of mankind and then Wilf ........:(
  • Options
    dazzlingdawndazzlingdawn Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eowyn W wrote: »
    Oh, is it today? Happy Anniversary Whoonies!

That is so funny - I love the Guardian! :D

That commentary made me think she would be revealed to be the White Guardian, but the show made me feel she was his mother. Maybe Moff will pick it up at some point in the future.

I did have something new to say when I came in here, but while I was catching up, I lost it again...

Oh, just remembered - Martha and Mickey! I know I didn't like that they were married, but just thought of something. Mybe it was more to show an end to Mickey's story than Martha's. Mickey was messed around something awful by Rose - perhaps marrying Martha to him instead of Tom was more intended to give him a "happy ending"...

Morning all - Happy New Year!! I feel I've been away forever!!

I think that character will be revealed at some point other wise what was the point if you get my point!!!
  • Options
    trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm.

Well, I loved the first half an hour or so, but then the plot lost all logic and sense, and RTD ramped the emotions up to 300 while flashing a big neon sign that said "you should feel sad now" and rather left me cold. I was expecting to cry, but I didn't even well up, as it felt kind of contrived. Lots was left unanswered (what was the business with the stained glass window all about, for example? Or what about the Ood's accelerated advancement?), and I think that a lot of it exemplified RTD's "pathos over logic" mentality and also his tendency to indulge himself. I hate it when I get the impression that something has been written for me, the viewer, rather than it seeming like something that would organically happen to the characters in the story, and most of the ending seemed like it was written for RTD to say goodbye to his characters and served no real purpose. That really didn't work for me.

Similarly, the regeneration being very long and destroying the TARDIS seemed like doing the Tom Baker scarf-unravelling, but done by the outgoing production team, rather than the incoming one.

I also wasn't keen on Smith in the episode. The whole post-regeneration scene seemed way too reminiscent of Tennant's post-regeneration scene, even down to laughing as the TARDIS crashes. I did laugh at "...chin...blimey!" and "I'm a girl!", though.

And, I have to say, that I love the trailer for series 5. The Doctor punching someone in a very geeky way is fantastic. I can already see the Troughton in him, and I think that including that (and hitting a Dalek with a plunger) is Moffat setting out his stall that the non-direct action Doctor of the past 5 years is a thing of the past. Back to Hartnell/Pertwee/Tom Baker style fisticuffs.

So, not impressed with Matt's first scene, but think I'm very much going to love his Doctor. Dare I say it? I already think I'm going to like him more than Tennant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,666
    Forum Member
    Eowyn W wrote: »
    If we are having 'The Romans', how about 'The Rescue' too as they come on the same DVD..?

Good idea. Then we'll go :

Resurrection of the Daleks
    Pyramids of Mars
    Ghostlight
    Attack of the Cybermen
    The Romans
    The Rescue
    The Time Meddler

Or shall we add a story with a different Doctor between The Rescue and The Time Meddler ?
    In this list we have Five, Four, Seven, One and Six. So we could add any story with Two or Three.
    I'd like to see another story with Delgado. I did a bit of research and it seems that Claws of Axos is with him and Three. Does the Classic Who Brigade think it's worth adding ?
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trollface wrote: »
    and most of the ending seemed like it was written for RTD to say goodbye to his characters and served no real purpose.

I think it was more so the viewers could say goodbue to characters they have loved. RTD doesn't have to say goodbye to any of them because they belong to him. Sorry it didn't work for you, but I think it was a high point of the episode for a lot of people....horses for course I guess.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmm.

Well, I loved the first half an hour or so, but then the plot lost all logic and sense, and RTD ramped the emotions up to 300 while flashing a big neon sign that said "you should feel sad now" and rather left me cold. I was expecting to cry, but I didn't even well up, as it felt kind of contrived. Lots was left unanswered (what was the business with the stained glass window all about, for example? Or what about the Ood's accelerated advancement?), and I think that a lot of it exemplified RTD's "pathos over logic" mentality and also his tendency to indulge himself. I hate it when I get the impression that something has been written for me, the viewer, rather than it seeming like something that would organically happen to the characters in the story, and most of the ending seemed like it was written for RTD to say goodbye to his characters and served no real purpose. That really didn't work for me.

Similarly, the regeneration being very long and destroying the TARDIS seemed like doing the Tom Baker scarf-unravelling, but done by the outgoing production team, rather than the incoming one.

Even if what didn't work for you isn't exactly what didn't work for me, I feel a little bit better that I'm not the only one who felt that it was not RTD's best story ever.

As for the TARDIS being destroyed it seemed it had to happen. I can't remember where I read that Moffat wanted a new TARDIS so the old one had to go.
    I'm not keen on how it happened, but I understand why it happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Solamenn wrote: »
    I'd like to see another story with Delgado. I did a bit of research and it seems that Claws of Axos is with him and Three. Does the Classic Who Brigade think it's worth adding ?

It's a middling Three story. You won't regret having watched it, but you won't feel any particular urge to watch it again.
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I think it was more so the viewers could say goodbue to characters they have loved.

That too, which feeds in to my point about not liking it when things are written for the viewer, rather than because it feels natural. And, in this case, RTD already did the big goodbye and rounded off his era in "Journey's End", so this was more of the same only less so.
    As for the TARDIS being destroyed it seemed it had to happen. I can't remember where I read that Moffat wanted a new TARDIS so the old one had to go.
    I'm not keen on how it happened, but I understand why it happened.

And again, this is things happening because they have to, rather than because it seems logical or natural.
  • Options
    weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    this will be my *first* moan of the day :rolleyes: :o

whyohwhyohwhyohwhy do Who watchers have to be so OVERLY CRITICAL???!!!! :mad:

FGS why do they have to comment/critique/complain about EVERYTHING and be so f'ing over analytical about every nuance of the programme!!!!????!??!?!

WHY CAN'T THEY JUST SIT BACK, RELAX AND WATCH IT??

do these people go to the cinema and sit through a film saying "Oh Spielberg.........you did that bit wrong....Mr De Mille that bit of stage direction was just sooooooo off!!......Mr Capra WHAT WERE YOU THINKING??!! :eek: .......FORD COPPALA NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" :rolleyes:

honestly some of the posters on the "other threads out there" *points to the depths of narcissism* - would evaluate the finer points of a gnat's todger given half an opportunity!

STFU - no one cares (well *I* don't!) about what YOU think should have/should not have been done!

When YOU are a great scriptwriter, when YOU have a talent for creating stories and TV imagery and thought processes - THEN....YOU can tell others with a bit more experience, HOW to do it!!! :mad:

/rant over
    gets off of overly large step stool...

:o

phew! I feel better for that! been building up for a while now. I can appreciate other people's OPINIONS and thoughts etc but the continual sniping and picking holes in things in the other threads is just SO TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDIOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

rarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

*ooh going into another rant - quick REGENERATE AND DO IT PROPERLY THIS TIME!!*

*calm and soothed Weedle reappears*

*goes to make a cup of coffee*

EDIT:

This is NOT A DIG AT YOU Trollface :) - honest :) just as my post came up, I read yours and though OMG - better git my claim in, as I wouldn't want to offend YOU or anyone else on *this* thread! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My thoughts exactly Weedle. Nothing's perfect but having watched it again there was so much to love.
    Now I'm going to watch the Confidential.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is NOT A DIG AT YOU Trollface :) - honest :) just as my post came up, I read yours and though OMG - better git my claim in, as I wouldn't want to offend YOU or anyone else on *this* thread! :o

Oh, don't worry. I know there's criticism and then there's criticism.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ** Careful : below is a possible spoiler regarding casting for TW S4**

When (I'd rather say "when" than "if" ;) ) TW comes back, it seems that there is a pretty sure bet as to one actor of the cast :

(interview with Russell Tovey, posted in another thread, in case anyone in here doesn't venture out there ;) )
    You've been confirmed as being on the cast list for the second Doctor Who Christmas special, airing on New Year's Day. How big a role do you play?
    "It's the same character that I played before and he pops in."

Is there a chance for you to reprise that role again after this?
    "Surely. Yes. Sorry, I'm not allowed to say anything!"

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/interviews/a191004/russell-tovey-being-human.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ** Careful : below is a possible spoiler regarding casting for TW S4**

When (I'd rather say "when" than "if" ;) ) TW comes back, it seems that there is a pretty sure bet as to one actor of the cast :

(interview with Russell Tovey, posted in another thread, in case anyone in here doesn't venture out there ;) )

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/interviews/a191004/russell-tovey-being-human.html

Hmm, interesting. Could be taken in a few different ways though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's a middling Three story. You won't regret having watched it, but you won't feel any particular urge to watch it again.

Mmmh... You don't make the story sound attractive ;)
    That too, which feeds in to my point about not liking it when things are written for the viewer, rather than because it feels natural. And, in this case, RTD already did the big goodbye and rounded off his era in "Journey's End", so this was more of the same only less so.

I understand your point of view. And somehow the goodbye scene works better for me in JE too because there are some moments of the goodbye scenes in EoT that I didn't like.
    For instance, I didn't like really the bit with Donna because I thought that her first departure was more complex and more emotional to me. But I liked how it was shot, with the confettis flowing through the graveyard (very anime like, like it were cherry trees blossoms). And I liked Rose's goodbye scene much better than the one in JE. And I loved Jack's because it was sweet and funny. But I didn't care so much about the others, despite the fact that I love Martha, Mickey and SJ.

One thing bothered me a little and it was how long it takes. Not because of a narrative problem. I mean, Three also died of a radiation poisoning and he had time to come back from the Planet of the Spiders to die on a UNIT floor, so why couldn't Ten get one last grand tour before dying ?
    It's just that it stretched and stretched the emotion to me despite the fact that I was crying, tears all over my face.

(Sorry Weedle, I hope I'm not in full over analyze mode ;) )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmm, interesting. Could be taken in a few different ways though!

Which one do you think about ?
    To me the only other would be that he comes back in DW, but the character is a RTD creation and the question "are you going my way" could be just as well a way of checking if Alonso is gay than a way of asking if he'd be interested in going to Earth ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which one do you think about ?
    To me the only other would be that he comes back in DW, but the character is a RTD creation and the question "are you going my way" could be just as well a way of checking if Alonso is gay than a way of asking if he'd be interested in going to Earth ;)

well i guess i was thinking he might be trying not to give too much away about his fate in the story, but slightly stuffed up and tried to back track...:D

I'd love it if he were in TW though!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    well i guess i was thinking he might be trying not to give too much away about his fate in the story, but slightly stuffed up and tried to back track...:D

Wait and see ! But I'd love him to be in it too ! He has a kind of naive looks that could work well. And he is an alien, who spent his life far from Earth so it can only add some perspective to the team.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Me too.

Just watching Confidential and there are some lovely moments in that as RTD explains things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For instance, I didn't like really the bit with Donna because I thought that her first departure was more complex and more emotional to me. But I liked how it was shot, with the confettis flowing through the graveyard (very anime like, like it were cherry trees blossoms).

It was definitely very pretty.
    And I liked Rose's goodbye scene much better than the one in JE.

But it was Rose's third goodbye.

FWIW, I liked Verity Newman's scene. Mainly because of Jessica Hynes' acting.
    One thing bothered me a little and it was how long it takes. Not because of a narrative problem. I mean, Three also died of a radiation poisoning and he had time to come back from the Planet of the Spiders to die on a UNIT floor, so why couldn't Ten get one last grand tour before dying ?
    It's just that it stretched and stretched the emotion to me despite the fact that I was crying, tears all over my face.

Yup, absolutely. I was just willing him to get on with it. I've watched it once, and then once more with the commentary, but I'm not sure I'll watch it again. But if I do, I'm sure I'll fast forwards through all the goodbyes.

And it's a shame, because I loved part 1, and was all prepared to cry but, when it came to it, I didn't feel moved by it at all. Shame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    right, those that take part in the survivor game must steer clear of my YT site till further notice. Those that don't i guess may find a video there that will entertain them for 10 minutes!
  • Options
    weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    completely off topic :o

*ducks down from Muttley waving OTS :eek: *

but I just had to post this as a) it really made me LOL b) brought back some happy memories of my dad and I :( and embarrassed me as I REMEMBERED ALL THE WORDS!! :eek: :eek: :o

I was listening to Radio 2 - only because it was tuned to it - and Dale Tangoman Winton was playing the charts of 1971/72 and number one, all those years ago was.....

de de deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrr

"Errrrrrrrrniiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeee and he drove the fastest milkcart in the West" :D

I know Benny Hill is not at all popular with some members of the politically correct society and yes, scantily clad dressed nubile young ladies, being chased by dirty old men, wouldn't go down very well today - but hey!

I was laughing to myself as I was singing along to it :D

and what made me LOL the most, was that Benny Hill did a spoof of the Woolwich Building Society (whom I worked for for nigh on 15 years! - happy days!) and it was called The Benwich Building Society and did a parody of the woman who did that sickly sweet smile and the catchphrase
    "your money's safe with the Woolwich"....

ah well........listening to Ernie and how "clever" it was lyrically, made me sad for the days of my early years .....

*sigh*
  • Options
    nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Doctor never had a problem hitting people, he'd never use a gun, and he'd never kill, but hitting someone was never his problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But it was Rose's third goodbye.

i didn't see it as a goodbye though, it was more the rebooted show going full circle. The end is where we start from, as Jack once said. I don't think it was even so much about Rose as about us being taken back to the start where one day soon Rose will wake up, go to work, meet Nine and we are off....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good idea. Then we'll go :

Resurrection of the Daleks
    Pyramids of Mars
    Ghostlight
    Attack of the Cybermen
    The Romans
    The Rescue
    The Time Meddler

Or shall we add a story with a different Doctor between The Rescue and The Time Meddler ?
    In this list we have Five, Four, Seven, One and Six. So we could add any story with Two or Three.

I'm all up for mixing stories and more Delgado, but just to throw some continuity to the mix, how about the E-space trilogy? Even if not every story might be to everyone's taste, it's still interesting and worth seeing probably.
    (I know we have Four on the list already, but we could file it under K9 or something. ;))
  • Options
    Forum Member

FWIW, I liked Verity Newman's scene. Mainly because of Jessica Hynes' acting.

I loved it. Jessica Hynes was spot on but I simply loved the scene because to me Human Nature/FOB is a very powerful episode so I really appreciated that there was a nod to it.
    Yup, absolutely. I was just willing him to get on with it. I've watched it once, and then once more with the commentary, but I'm not sure I'll watch it again. But if I do, I'm sure I'll fast forwards through all the goodbyes.

Where did you get the commentary ? It still hasn't downloaded from iTunes for me !
    right, those that take part in the survivor game must steer clear of my YT site till further notice. Those that don't i guess may find a video there that will entertain them for 10 minutes!

Fingers crossed that Jack won. I love Tosh, but I can't imagine Jack not winning !

The Doctor never had a problem hitting people, he'd never use a gun, and he'd never kill, but hitting someone was never his problem.

We talked about that ? I may have missed a post or two then :o
    If you refer to
    Eleven using a gun at the end of the preview
    , I have to admit that I'm ok with it because we don't know yet what he is aiming at.
    But I disagree with you that he'd never use a gun and that he'd never kill. For "he'd never use a gun" I have trouble in thinking that he survived the Time War without using one at least once, and he brandishes a gun in Dalek, but he also uses some sort of gun in Remembrance of the Daleks. As for "he'd never kill", the list in New Who only could suffice : the Racnoss children, the Daleks killed by 10.2, the lone Dalek that Nine is ready to atomize in Dalek...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i didn't see it as a goodbye though, it was more the rebooted show going full circle. The end is where we start from, as Jack once said. I don't think it was even so much about Rose as about us being taken back to the start where one day soon Rose will wake up, go to work, meet Nine and we are off....

Yes, I agree. It had a charm and a fresh look that the goodbye in JE hadn't because the goodbye in JE to me was "What ? Again ?" but this moment was in a sense a send off before the beginning. I'm not sure I'm clear :o
    Macek wrote: »
    I'm all up for mixing stories and more Delgado, but just to throw some continuity to the mix, how about the E-space trilogy? Even if not every story might be to everyone's taste, it's still interesting and worth seeing probably.
    (I know we have Four on the list already, but we could file it under K9 or something. ;))

I'm open to all suggestions as you know it, I only wait for more opinions in one direction or another so that we can satisfy as many persons as possible.

So I remind the suggestions : The Claws of Axos (Three and Delgado's Master) and the E-Space trilogy.
    Voice your thoughts, people :)
This discussion has been closed.