Options

Gavin & Stacey Series 3

Comments

• Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    This was the only part of the plot which didn't seem right IMO. Even though Dave knew all along Nessa didn't love him I thought it was out of character to give up so easily, as he'd been so jealous before. Bit of a "Vicar of Dibley" moment in an otherwise excellent show.

I think it would have been better if rather than Smithy interrupt the ceremony that he had been in the congregation with his son and he and Nessa had exchanged several glances which Dave noticed and then stopped the vows.

I also get the feeling that they didn't spend as much time on series 3- a bit like the last series of Dinner Ladies and Victoria Wood.
    Anyone agree?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only started watching Gavin and Stacey 3 weeks ago...

We bought the dvds 1,2 Xmas Special and 3...OMG couldnt believe what I'd been missing out on...

I really hope they make another series or at least some more specials...

We walked the dog on Barry beach this afternoon...bag of chips in hand...giving it a bit of 'wots ocurring?...these chips r lush':o:D:o:D
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *T*I*N*K* wrote: »
    I only started watching Gavin and Stacey 3 weeks ago...

We bought the dvds 1,2 Xmas Special and 3...OMG couldnt believe what I'd been missing out on...

I really hope they make another series or at least some more specials...

We walked the dog on Barry beach this afternoon...bag of chips in hand...giving it a bit of 'wots ocurring?...these chips r lush':o:D:o:D

You end up feeling genuine affection for the characters,dont you find?
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the scene when Stacey takes Gavin to her room and tells him that she's pregnant and her bag is emptied, full of pregnancy tests. "It's best to check" :D

John Prescott turning up at the wedding was also brilliant! And Noel from Hear Say being with Doris haha. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Want to see Dave Coaches on Mastermind?

It's here for the next couple of weeks:

http://www.s4c.co.uk/clic/e_level2.shtml?programme_id=360550292

His rounds start at 5:00 and 14:30 minutes. It's in Welsh, so click on the owl symbol for English subtitles! Some G&S-related chat at the start of his second round.
  • Options
    Tombo60Tombo60 Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, the series was amazing!
    It's such a shame that it's over :(
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only critisism I have for this series is that it had terrible lighting in almost every scene, especially the beach episode.

It's the first time I've ever heard someone criticise the sun before ;)
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evamoo wrote: »
    i feel a bit cheated....the 'series' was like 4/5 episodes long!!

Eh? It was 6 eps just like the first one, and the second series was only one ep longer, with a Xmas ep to follow.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    It's the first time I've ever heard someone criticise the sun before ;)

Nah, you could tell it wasn't the natural light of the sun. There were shadows everywhere! That episode (amongst others) was over-lit, most definately.
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only person who feels really disappointed with this episode? :confused:

I loved this series, but I really didn't want it to end like this. There is definite sexual chemistry between Nessa and Smithy, but I just cannot believe they would make a good couple. I really don't think they love each other and I don't think they ever will. :(

I really think Dave loved Nessa, and I would have much preferred for her to fall in love in with him also. They could have all become friends and contributed to raising Neil the Baby between the 3 of them (after all, this is much more likely in real life).

I think leaving the fishing trip unresolved was pretty sloppy. it was such a major theme throughout the whole story that it cannot just be pushed aside. Are we meant to assume that Bryn and his nephew had an incestuos relationship, or was there another expanation? :confused:

G and S's pregnancy was pretty obvious, but at least that was a feel good factor. (And after many years of trying to conceive, I did LOADS of pregnancy tests to make sure, so that felt very real when she opened her bag! I remember my GP saying "how many tests did you do?" and "why?":D)

ETA I loved John Prescott - didn't know who Noel was :o:D
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the fishing trip issue - the only thing I can think of is Jason discovered Bryn having some fun using soup as a lubricant.

I don't think it was incest as suggested because Jason said in the final episode of series one that what happened 'isn't illegal', which was reiterated in Series 2 after Bryn tells Jason that Dave knows: 'it's perfectly legal in this country' - but in the UK incest is illegal.

The soup idea comes from the final episode of Series 2 - where the conversation between Dave and Bryn seems to revolve around the soup that Bryn was holding. Dave was definitely trying to make Bryn uncomfortable with his final comment 'enjoy your soup', and of course there was the whole dialogue before that.

Yes, I know. I've watched the DVD Box Sets too much now. :o
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Fishing Trip is their Elizabeth Mainwaring/Vera Peterson/Maris Crane bit.

More fun in not being revealed.

An exiquiste end to an exquiste series.

Nessa' line about there only being one Smiffy showed what has been obvious in this series - that she actually started to like him, or at least see he was a decent person.

The girls night in with Bryn.

John Prescott:D

Gavin being less concerned with the pregnancy than the fact "My balls work!!!"

The meat tray - "now I know that's 'sausage' ".

And many others.

I like the way the final scene indicated the Smiffy and Nessa had worked something out and were getting on well but not what this was. Were they a couple, or had Smiffy moved to Barry (he could in his trade), or was he commuting.

Good scope for an update in a couple of years time - and I don't think the writers will be pressured into doing it if they are not happy.

A gem of a programme and a fine finish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    On the fishing trip issue - the only thing I can think of is Jason discovered Bryn having some fun using soup as a lubricant.

I don't think it was incest as suggested because Jason said in the final episode of series one that what happened 'isn't illegal', which was reiterated in Series 2 after Bryn tells Jason that Dave knows: 'it's perfectly legal in this country' - but in the UK incest is illegal.

The soup idea comes from the final episode of Series 2 - where the conversation between Dave and Bryn seems to revolve around the soup that Bryn was holding. Dave was definitely trying to make Bryn uncomfortable with his final comment 'enjoy your soup', and of course there was the whole dialogue before that.

Yes, I know. I've watched the DVD Box Sets too much now. :o

Personally i took this to mean that Jason caught Bryn sucking himself off.

Thats what i think the boating thing was all about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a tad disappointed with the final scene too, but looking back on it, and thinking about it a bit, they're just suggesting that there is no dramatic tension between Nessa and Smithy anymore, rather than doing something dramatically drastic like killing one of the main characters off.
  • Options
    CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lealeeds wrote: »
    I think it would have been better if rather than Smithy interrupt the ceremony that he had been in the congregation with his son and he and Nessa had exchanged several glances which Dave noticed and then stopped the vows.

I also get the feeling that they didn't spend as much time on series 3- a bit like the last series of Dinner Ladies and Victoria Wood.
    Anyone agree?

Yeh agree with both your points.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sofieellis wrote: »
    Am I the only person who feels really disappointed with this episode? :confused:

I loved this series, but I really didn't want it to end like this. There is definite sexual chemistry between Nessa and Smithy, but I just cannot believe they would make a good couple. I really don't think they love each other and I don't think they ever will. :(

I really think Dave loved Nessa, and I would have much preferred for her to fall in love in with him also. They could have all become friends and contributed to raising Neil the Baby between the 3 of them (after all, this is much more likely in real life).

I think leaving the fishing trip unresolved was pretty sloppy. it was such a major theme throughout the whole story that it cannot just be pushed aside. Are we meant to assume that Bryn and his nephew had an incestuos relationship, or was there another expanation? :confused:

G and S's pregnancy was pretty obvious, but at least that was a feel good factor. (And after many years of trying to conceive, I did LOADS of pregnancy tests to make sure, so that felt very real when she opened her bag! I remember my GP saying "how many tests did you do?" and "why?":D)

ETA I loved John Prescott - didn't know who Noel was :o:D

I don't think Nessa and Smithy were necessarily meant to end up together though. As you say, there's chemistry between them, but he didn't stop the wedding because he wanted to be with Nessa (at least I didn't see it that way). It was because he knew she was marrying Dave for the wrong reasons and he didn't want her to do that. I think the very last scene could be open to interpretation as to the status of their relationship.

I was glad that G & S managed to conceive - loved the scene with all the pregnancy tests! I had heard that there was a much sadder ending in store for them, so I was glad that that didn't happen.

I do wish we had found out what happened on the fishing trip though.

Also loved the scene where Nessa finally told Gwen how she felt about her. That was very touching.
  • Options
    RobinMcClarnonRobinMcClarnon Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really lame writing and acting in the final scene.
  • Options
    djleekeedjleekee Posts: 1,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really lame writing and acting in the final scene.

AGREED - it's almost an after thought and they really couldnt decide on how to finish it!

Seemed really forced and un-natural!

Twas an OK series but I think we've seen the best of the characters and writing throughout the first 2 series!
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Nessa and Smithy were necessarily meant to end up together though. As you say, there's chemistry between them, but he didn't stop the wedding because he wanted to be with Nessa (at least I didn't see it that way). It was because he knew she was marrying Dave for the wrong reasons and he didn't want her to do that. I think the very last scene could be open to interpretation as to the status of their relationship.

I was glad that G & S managed to conceive - loved the scene with all the pregnancy tests! I had heard that there was a much sadder ending in store for them, so I was glad that that didn't happen.

I do wish we had found out what happened on the fishing trip though.

Also loved the scene where Nessa finally told Gwen how she felt about her. That was very touching.

I agree completely - I don't think that last scene was meant to mean that Nessa and Smithy were "together" - just that they were friends and that there was no longer anything keeping them from being joint parents to Neil The Baby.

And I also agree about Nessa and Gwen - Am I alone in thinking that Gwen looked absolutely beautiful in that scene ? - she almost glowed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,735
    Forum Member
    I agree completely - I don't think that last scene was meant to mean that Nessa and Smithy were "together" - just that they were friends and that there was no longer anything keeping them from being joint parents to Neil The Baby.

Am I alone in thinking that Gwen looked absolutely beautiful in that scene ? - she almost glowed.

No your not, I was quite taken aback how lovely she looked in that seen, I have not really noticed she was pretty until then.

I only stared watching Gav and Stace a few months ago and after watching the whole 3 series I am really gutted its finished now, but its better than going stale like the Royle family :(
  • Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    Just a thought ... Smithy was obviously jealous of the relationship between Dave Coaches and Neil, the baby. This started in the Christmas special: almost as soon as Smithy held Neil, the baby, he started crying, but stopped as soon as Dave Coaches held him. That really hurt Smithy.

Smithy did not want anyone to be the stepdad of his baby, he didn't consider the fact that Nessa might be happy with Dave, he just centered on ensuring Neil, the baby, didn't bond too closely with Dave Coaches.
  • Options
    calatheacalathea Posts: 780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lealeeds wrote: »
    Ah yes but did you expect a bag full of pregnacy test kits?
    That was classic

as soon as she gave him the box the contents were a dead cert, the scene would have worked a lot better if she hadnt done the line about how much money and was he cross,
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    Just a thought ... Smithy was obviously jealous of the relationship between Dave Coaches and Neil, the baby. This started in the Christmas special: almost as soon as Smithy held Neil, the baby, he started crying, but stopped as soon as Dave Coaches held him. That really hurt Smithy.

Smithy did not want anyone to be the stepdad of his baby, he didn't consider the fact that Nessa might be happy with Dave, he just centered on ensuring Neil, the baby, didn't bond too closely with Dave Coaches.

This was more the way I saw it too. He wasn't prepared to offer Nessa any sort of security himself, but he didn't want anyone else to be there for her and the baby either. It just seemed selfish and unfortunately, he got his own way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sofieellis wrote: »
    This was more the way I saw it too. He wasn't prepared to offer Nessa any sort of security himself, but he didn't want anyone else to be there for her and the baby either. It just seemed selfish and unfortunately, he got his own way.

But Nessa didn't really love Dave, so in a way Smithy was just saving her from marrying him. When Nessa insisted she did love Dave, Smithy was prepared to walk away, then of course Dave said he knew she didn't love him.
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh please, it's a drama, it's not supposed to be true to life.:rolleyes:

Gosh - our problem must be a comedy then :rolleyes: