Options

Please don't put the cat out tonight.

RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,449
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know that some folk traditionally put out the cat for the night, (I don't), but it's far too cold tonight. I've been outside and it's really bad...

Please, if you do this, to make sure that s/he is not harmed by the exceptionally severe weather, let pussy stay in tonight!

In the past I have heard of cats being actually and literally frozen to death.

This, obviously, applies to all animals, but I think that cats are more at risk as it's part of some peoples bedtime routine to eg lock the door, put out the milk bottles and put out the cat!

Comments

• Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At any other time my cat ignores my calling her to come in at night.

Over the past week or so she stays out for no more than ten minutes and is waiting to bolt past me into the house as soon as I open the back door.

She is currently upside down on the sofa looking like she's been darted by tranquiliser gun.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never put my cats out at night the cat flap is even taped up. One does go out in the day he loves the snow but when he comes in he doesnt go out again. The other are couch potatoes and love the warmth. Great post some people might not think and everbody needs a reminder once in a while
  • Options
    Sid NoggettSid Noggett Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    I have always put the cat out even if it snows or rains or thunderstorms. A little dose of nature is character-building, I say.
  • Options
    boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    I have always put the cat out even if it snows or rains or thunderstorms. A little dose of nature is character-building, I say.

Not when it's minus 10. it's just plain cruel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe you should try it yourself then.
  • Options
    Sid NoggettSid Noggett Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    I do sleep out in the elements when I feel the need to commune with Gaia. However, I believe it is important for my cat to be instructed in Darwinian survival to ensure it keeps its instincts honed and razor-sharp. Cruelty is regrettably an essential part of the lesson.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do sleep out in the elements when I feel the need to commune with Gaia. However, I believe it is important for my cat to be instructed in Darwinian survival to ensure it keeps its instincts honed and razor-sharp. Cruelty is regrettably an essential part of the lesson.

Oh right.

I shouldn't imagine your cat is interested in all that bollox though.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like either of my cats have set paw outside since the cold white stuff came:rolleyes::D

The day I go outside to pee in the snow is the day they might consider it. Or more likely laugh at me:o
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been letting my cat out as he won't stay in at night. I managed to keep him in Wednesday night but he was meowing a lot, he wanted out. I'm taking the attitude that before we gave them all their creature comforts they managed just fine.
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The novelty of snow has worn off for my two lads. The week before Christmas the older one was doing his usual circuits (out the front door, along to the end of the road and back over the back gardens and in the back door) and the younger one was frisking around in the garden and rolling in the snow.

This week the younger one has nipped out the back to do the necessary and is back in as quickly as possible, and I had to put the older one out yesterday because I was worried he'd burst!:eek:
  • Options
    rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't imagine anybody leaving a cat out all night in this weather :eek:

My Rosie sits at the back door to take the air for ten minutes in the morning, then shes in the warm with us for the rest of the day and night..she doesn't like the cold or wet much

Infact its like a cat free zone around here at the moment, even the toughest of Toms can only be seen when they're looking out of the windows from their warm houses :)
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    When I had cats then I would keep the cat flap unlocked even in freezing temps just to give them the choice and to do their business but they were never out for long. Stay at home cats for the most part during winter but nearly always out during the summer. Cat food bill was cheaper too I noticed in the summer.
  • Options
    mr.ianmr.ian Posts: 4,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you keep them in during the day in the summer incase they get heatstroke?
    What a load of piffle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosemary wrote: »
    I couldn't imagine anybody leaving a cat out all night in this weather :eek:

How do you keep a cat in that doesn't want to be kept in and meows all night to be let out.

Cats haven't evolved, they're the same as they were 100 years ago.

Coldest night of the year last night wasn't it. My tom was out, although I was a bit worried about him, but he coped so I'm not worrying about him now. If he's cold he'll find himself some shelter. Cats have their survival instincts to rely on.

I wonder how many people actually give a stuff that there are humans sleeping out in this weather.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mr.ian wrote: »
    Do you keep them in during the day in the summer incase they get heatstroke?
    What a load of piffle.

Fans with ice cold water placed next to the little blighters, succumbing to their every whim. ;)

I'm master not my cat.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You couldn't get my girl outside in this weather for love nor money......
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm master not my cat.

:confused::confused::confused:
    Please, please, please share your technique for cat mastering.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    I have one sitting on my arms as I type, one asleep on the sofa, and one has sneaked into my son's bedroom, he's off school so sleeping in. She is upside down, all paws in the air, bit like him really. But they do go out, the cat flap is on free flow, they go out to pee etc, and seem to quite enjoy it, apart from the bit where I have to pull the snow dags off their tummy fur. Otherwise they spread it around the house.
  • Options
    rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you keep a cat in that doesn't want to be kept in and meows all night to be let out.

Cats haven't evolved, they're the same as they were 100 years ago.

Coldest night of the year last night wasn't it. My tom was out, although I was a bit worried about him, but he coped so I'm not worrying about him now. If he's cold he'll find himself some shelter. Cats have their survival instincts to rely on.

I wonder how many people actually give a stuff that there are humans sleeping out in this weather.

I think its different if they insist on staying out..you can't force a cat to stay in if they don't want to..I was more thinking of people putting a cat out who doesn't want to go

My cat for instance, would be terrified if shut out in the cold, and would probably howl all night and frantically try to get back in...in those circumstance I can't imagine anybody thinking was OK not to let her in

The ideal thing, I suppose is a cat flap, to give the cat the choice.

As to your last point, I can only speak for myself and I care very much that there are humans sleeping out in this weather. I think its disgraceful that there is nowhere for them to go. I am also and concerned about dogs shut out in the cold and old people who may not have adequate food or heating in this weather.

Unfortunately there are so many things that concern me, but there is only so much an individual can do :(
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cat flavour lollies?

A gap in the market:cool:
  • Options
    heathermheatherm Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    i have no chance of worrying about my babies being out all night in this weather - i am having to prod them out the door with my toe during the day!!!

They like their comfort too much to chose to go out in the snow and ice - spoilt little things!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:
    Please, please, please share your technique for cat mastering.

The same as most animal lovers I expect. I consider him to be part of my family and treat him as such. The same rules apply to him as do the family members that live here. I go down to his level, look him straight in the eyes and give him a stern no when I don't want him to do something. On the whole he's a good cat. Although he does have one annoying habit that he won't shake and I can't stop him from doing, he follows me everywhere and gets under my feet, literally. I've already tripped over him once today. He most probably laughs in his own little cat way and thinks you will become subservient to me.
    rosemary wrote: »
    I think its different if they insist on staying out..you can't force a cat to stay in if they don't want to..I was more thinking of people putting a cat out who doesn't want to go

My cat for instance, would be terrified if shut out in the cold, and would probably howl all night and frantically try to get back in...in those circumstance I can't imagine anybody thinking was OK not to let her in

The ideal thing, I suppose is a cat flap, to give the cat the choice.

As to your last point, I can only speak for myself and I care very much that there are humans sleeping out in this weather. I think its disgraceful that there is nowhere for them to go. I am also and concerned about dogs shut out in the cold and old people who may not have adequate food or heating in this weather.

Unfortunately there are so many things that concern me, but there is only so much an individual can do :(

I'd never shut mine out if he didn't want to go out. He can't be the dopey moggy I've always thought him to be.

You're right, as individuals there is only so much we can do and I'm wrong to have raised the subject in this thread.
  • Options
    tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A quick wee and both of ours are back in.
  • Options
    CherumanCheruman Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinman wrote: »
    A quick wee and both of ours are back in.

Yep, pretty much the same with my two.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Dudley goes out all night, every night. He has a cat kennel in the garden with a fleece bed inside, and even in this weather he rarely uses it hes out running about in the fields. yes he would stay in if he could but then no doubt be up meowing to be let out time and time again. hes used to this way, and he knows when i say bedtime and the dogs go out to pee, he goes out and stays out. he asks to come inside when he hears us in the kitchen. he has a beautifully thick winter coat as he is out each night. he was fine and is now curled up on the sofa :)