Options

New Doctor Who Fan (Part Davison)

Comments

• Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tumpy wrote: »
    Just suggesting that Jack could move on with Alonso set some people off.

Including the person who started that thread, btw...;)

I liked it too. At the end of the day, however much Jack might care for people he can't have a love of his life in the strictest sense of the word. The Doctor is probably the closest to this being the case actually.
  • Options
    Tigger-RooTigger-Roo Posts: 10,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a little shove:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »

I liked it too. At the end of the day, however much Jack might care for people he can't have a love of his life in the strictest sense of the word. The Doctor is probably the closest to this being the case actually.

Does anyone know if Jack is likely to be in future episodes of Dr Who, or if that is the end of his character in that series now RTD has left?

It's just that I was wondering if the change of Doctor would make a difference to Jack's affections, although Eleven has all the memories he is essentially very different.

Little note to the audio club, I have downloaded the next one and I'm very excited to have a whole story dedicated to Five. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member

I agree hear TARDIS and off he goes.
    Tigger-Roo wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Jack is likely to be in future episodes of Dr Who, or if that is the end of his character in that series now RTD has left?

It's just that I was wondering if the change of Doctor would make a difference to Jack's affections, although Eleven has all the memories he is essentially very different.

Little note to the audio club, I have downloaded the next one and I'm very excited to have a whole story dedicated to Five. :D

I think fancied 9, loved 10 and 11 I would imagine he'll not be in next series especially if they do TW4 and I think that's a good thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree hear TARDIS and off he goes.

I think fancied 9, loved 10 and 11 I would imagine he'll not be in next series especially if they do TW4 and I think that's a good thing.

I suppose that makes sense, although I would love to see him with Eleven just to satisfy my curiosity.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,666
    Forum Member
    It seems that I've missed all the fun today. I'm going to have to go to look for that thread !
    possible a mainstream show with a cult following?

I very much agree for your definition of DW in the UK, Muttley.

I've managed to watched Resurrection of the Daleks which is quite an achievement considering my schedule. I'm sorry but I'm going to post now because I'm not sure I'll be able to drop by again today. I'll avoid any spoilers, promise. But if you have any fears, please feel free to skip the rest of this post.

To sum up, I'd say that this episode didn't help me to like Five's stories better nor to like Davros any better as a character. I think it's too bad because there are some good ideas in this story, but it seems like despite a lot of things happening, nothing happens really. I don't know if you see what I mean : it's like those action movies, where at the end you can sum up what happened with a very short sentence.
    As for the best worst line, I'll be eager to hear which one it was, because there were a few in my opinion ;)
    Tegan still got on my nerves though I liked how the fourth episode ended, it was done to me in a cohesive way with what had happened to her before (mainly all her moaning ;) ) but still showing her fondness for the Doctor.
    All in all, I think that I'm not so keen on the stories during the 80's era for DW and that probably has an impact on how I relate to the characters, mainly regarding Five.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I suppose that makes sense, although I would love to see him with Eleven just to satisfy my curiosity.:)

Me too - any chance to see Jack
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes, I feel like you. As soon as we'll know what kind of a person Eleven is, I'm sure I'll start to wonder how Jack would relate to him and I'd love to see that on screen.
    But I agree with everyone else : won't happen in S5 (don't expect me to call it S1 ! I already have enough problems with numbers ;) ), and for the moment it seems unlikely for the next series sadly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think he is perhaps the most likely of the RTD era, because he featured prominently in SM first DW story and there is talk he always wanted to fill in the missing two years in his life. But I think the way it's left is quite open there myself. Certianly not in the forthcoming series, but after that who knows...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As an antidote found this and it made me LOL

http://kinky-chichi.deviantart.com/art/SPOILERS-TW-comic-1-143982463
  • Options
    Forum Member

:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've finally found an episode of the RTD era that the guys give a higher AI to than the girls...perhaps unsurprisingly it's Blink (88 vs 87!:p)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Solamenn wrote: »
    It seems that I've missed all the fun today. I'm going to have to go to look for that thread !

I very much agree for your definition of DW in the UK, Muttley.

I've managed to watched Resurrection of the Daleks which is quite an achievement considering my schedule. I'm sorry but I'm going to post now because I'm not sure I'll be able to drop by again today. I'll avoid any spoilers, promise. But if you have any fears, please feel free to skip the rest of this post.

To sum up, I'd say that this episode didn't help me to like Five's stories better nor to like Davros any better as a character. I think it's too bad because there are some good ideas in this story, but it seems like despite a lot of things happening, nothing happens really. I don't know if you see what I mean : it's like those action movies, where at the end you can sum up what happened with a very short sentence.
    As for the best worst line, I'll be eager to hear which one it was, because there were a few in my opinion ;)
    Tegan still got on my nerves though I liked how the fourth episode ended, it was done to me in a cohesive way with what had happened to her before (mainly all her moaning ;) ) but still showing her fondness for the Doctor.
    All in all, I think that I'm not so keen on the stories during the 80's era for DW and that probably has an impact on how I relate to the characters, mainly regarding Five.

Oh dear, I'm the complete opposite of you Solamenn because I quite liked this episode. I must admit that a lot of it, seemed a bit samey in that I've seen certain elements of the story done before. Disguising themselves as guards and the big red self destruct button for example. I liked name spotting, like Rodney Bewes and Leslie Grantham and I still like Tegan. The Daleks and Davros were okay in my opinion and I understood what they were trying to do. I didn't like Tegans send off though, I felt it lacked any impact whatsoever, and it was a sad way for her to go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too - any chance to see Jack

Yes there is that too. ;):D
    Yes, I feel like you. As soon as we'll know what kind of a person Eleven is, I'm sure I'll start to wonder how Jack would relate to him and I'd love to see that on screen.
    But I agree with everyone else : won't happen in S5 (don't expect me to call it S1 ! I already have enough problems with numbers ;) ), and for the moment it seems unlikely for the next series sadly.
    I think he is perhaps the most likely of the RTD era, because he featured prominently in SM first DW story and there is talk he always wanted to fill in the missing two years in his life. But I think the way it's left is quite open there myself. Certianly not in the forthcoming series, but after that who knows...

So Season 6 possibly, maybe if we are really really lucky. I would really love to find out about his two missing years if SM would care to cover that. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

that's good. :D
    I've finally found an episode of the RTD era that the guys give a higher AI to than the girls...perhaps unsurprisingly it's Blink (88 vs 87!:p)

Oh that doesn't surprise me either. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, I'm the complete opposite of you Solamenn because I quite liked this episode. I must admit that a lot of it, seemed a bit samey in that I've seen certain elements of the story done before. Disguising themselves as guards and the big red self destruct button for example. I liked name spotting, like Rodney Bewes and Leslie Grantham and I still like Tegan. The Daleks and Davros were okay in my opinion and I understood what they were trying to do. I didn't like Tegans send off though, I felt it lacked any impact whatsoever, and it was a sad way for her to go.

If I'm not mistaken she was suppossed to leave in the next story but then things had to be reworked. Eric Saward basically had to write her out in a hurry and I think that's why her exit seems so rushed and forced
  • Options
    Eowyn WEowyn W Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member

Of any of the previous characters, Jack is the one I see best fitting into another story - not that we know much about Eleven yet, but Jack has bridged the previous New Who Doctors and given his circumstances, he could continue to do so.

Looking forward to this week's audio - 'Phantasmagoria' - Five with my favourite companion of his! :)

Worst line?
    "I can't stand the confusion in my mind!"
    :D

Even as a Five fan, I have to say that it is not my favourite, but I still quite enjoy watching this one. Ridiculously high body count for DW and the Doctor with a gun! Who would have thought it?

Also, we can now tell Wilf how to impair a Dalek's vision properly and look! people pushing a Dalek around? Here were folk thinking hat it was RTD's "stupid" idea! ;):D

I actually quite like Tegan's ending - it seems very much her - a bit of an impetuous and impulsive decision and I did find it very bittersweet.

Oh and Tiggs - yes, spot the familiar faces - Rula Lenska too.

• Options
    Eowyn WEowyn W Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member
    I am just listening to the commentary now and PD was saying that his son (who was 2 1/2 at the time the commentary was being recorded) became quite obsessed with DW as PD was watching the story again before recording the commentary and took to calling him Doctor Daddy and wanted to play at being the Doctor while daddy played Davros.

Awww... :)

Solamenn - I meant to add, I know you will never be a Five fan, but I think some of his better stories are ones which are not released on DVD yet.

Tiggs - love the new location - I may have to steal that! :)
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member

More likely than the other companions, but still unlikely. He'll definitely remain with Torchwood as RTD plans to stay with that (and I think SJA) for as long as the beeb keep commissioning it but they are essentially separate shows in the same universe now they have different show runners.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member

More likely than the other companions as a Moffat creation, but I wouldn't bet on it. He'll definitely remain with Torchwood as RTD plans to stay with that (and I think SJA) for as long as the beeb keep commissioning it but they are essentially separate shows in the same universe now they have different show runners.
  • Options
    dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

that is the funniest thing ever lmao
  • Options
    Forum Member
    that is the funniest thing ever lmao

Thought you'd appreciate it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday was a good day for me in relation to Torchwood goodies. My Children of Earth DVDs finally arrived and I got the three new Torchwood books. I spent ages looking for them in Waterstones and finally gave up and asked. It turns out that they were on the 9-12 year old shelf, no idea why I didn't think to look there :rolleyes: apparently they had no space left and it was the only shelf free. At least they were 3 for 2.

Can somebody please see if they can play something on Iplayer? It's not working for me and I was wondering if it is just my computer or if Iplayer is down. Thanks :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it's a pretty daft story, but enjoyable nonetheless. It has a good chunk of action and adventure, but is let down by a rather confusing plot.

As you say the name spotting adds another layer to it as well. However I rather like Tegans send off, yes it's low key, but her motives for leaving - that it isn't fun anymore - strike a cord with me, as do her final words. Probably about a 7/10 from me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DavidG_UK wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken she was suppossed to leave in the next story but then things had to be reworked. Eric Saward basically had to write her out in a hurry and I think that's why her exit seems so rushed and forced

Oh I didn't realise that, but yes rushed is what it was like something just tagged onto the end. I can totally see why now, if it was a last minute decision.
    Eowyn W wrote: »
    Of any of the previous characters, Jack is the one I see best fitting into another story - not that we know much about Eleven yet, but Jack has bridged the previous New Who Doctors and given his circumstances, he could continue to do so.
    Well I suppose we'll have to wait and see what SM comes up with. He may decide to go back to him at a later date, but I would have thought he's loads of ideas to work through first.

Looking forward to this week's audio - 'Phantasmagoria' - Five with my favourite companion of his!
    Not a big fan of Turlough so we'll see how we go, definitely looking forward to it though. :)

Worst line?
    "I can't stand the confusion in my mind!"

Even as a Five fan, I have to say that it is not my favourite, but I still quite enjoy watching this one. Ridiculously high body count for DW and the Doctor with a gun! Who would have thought it?

Also, we can now tell Wilf how to impair a Dalek's vision properly and look! people pushing a Dalek around? Here were folk thinking hat it was RTD's "stupid" idea! ;):D

I actually quite like Tegan's ending - it seems very much her - a bit of an impetuous and impulsive decision and I did find it very bittersweet.

Oh and Tiggs - yes, spot the familiar faces - Rula Lenska too.

That was it, yes I knew I knew her, but couldn't place a name, thanks for that. :D
    Eowyn W wrote: »
    I am just listening to the commentary now and PD was saying that his son (who was 2 1/2 at the time the commentary was being recorded) became quite obsessed with DW as PD was watching the story again before recording the commentary and took to calling him Doctor Daddy and wanted to play at being the Doctor while daddy played Davros.

Awww... :)

Solamenn - I meant to add, I know you will never be a Five fan, but I think some of his better stories are ones which are not released on DVD yet.

Tiggs - love the new location - I may have to steal that! :)

Aww just loved the idea of PD and his son playing Doctor Who. :)

I love my location too, it's most comfy, but the recliner button can be a bit dogy, one minute I'm sitting upright watching the telly and the next minute I'm flat on my back.:D
    More likely than the other companions, but still unlikely. He'll definitely remain with Torchwood as RTD plans to stay with that (and I think SJA) for as long as the beeb keep commissioning it but they are essentially separate shows in the same universe now they have different show runners.

I won't rule out hope that he returns, but I am resolved to the idea that it may be a long time coming.
This discussion has been closed.