Options

Is Dr Who a man thing?

Comments

• Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikkyh wrote: »
    I do believe it's mostly viewed and followed by men. But there are a LOT of women that follow it in exactly the same way.

As i said up thread it ISN'T mostly viewed by males at all according to BARB data. This is a break down of the series 3 audience , for example:

3.1 - 47% M, 53% F
    3.2 - 48% M, 52% F
    3.3 - 52% M, 48% F
    3.4 - 50%M, 50% F
    3.5 - 50%M, 50% F
    3.6 - 49% M, 51% F
    3.7 - 50% M, 50% F
    3.8 - 48%M, 52% F
    3.9 - 47% M, 53%F
    3.10 - 50% M, 50% F
    3.11 - 49%, 51%
    3.12 - 50 M, 50% F
    3.13 - 50% M, 50% F

As you can see, it's pretty even, actually a slightly higher female audience.

I think the difference is that fandom is still more than likely male dominated, but in terms of viewers, it most certainly isn't.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,036
    Forum Member
    I'm a guy, been a big fan since I was kid, Pertwee era. Big fan of the show, have the DVDs but draw the line at action figures, merchandise, conventions, dressing up and all that gubbins. I'll get the magazine once in a while if passing, I have one book on the history of the show. I've never understood the extra step that other adults take, i.e toys, dressing up and so on,not dissing people that are, but just saying it is possible to be a big fan of something without going the full hog as it were:)

Just like all TV I treat the show as exactly that, a TV show. It's a TV show that I really enjoy but that's all it is, that is what all TV is to me, just TV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Doctor Who Fan Video scene, which i am largely apart of is very female dominated, some of the best 'vidders' are female, and you can tell by the quality of work that there really isn't time for a quick watch of the episode and then carry on with the dishes.

I know i have to turn off my phone, and very often will watch in later at night alone, just in case i get intrupted at the normal show time.

So there I was 1am watching The End of Time, crying into my pillow dramatically, obessed with this show! :p
  • Options
    Eowyn WEowyn W Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member
    I have been utterly obsessed for as long as I can remember - started watching TB when I was little and was totally addicted to DW by the time PD came along. I can't miss an episode and get annoyed if someone tries to arrange a night out when a new episode is showing. I do go to conventions, but only local ones where I don't have to travel far.
  • Options
    dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me the series came first...the fangirl squeeing was an afterthought lol
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The old series was very male orientated, but the whole point of the new series is that it can be accessed by all, and has family friendly elements built in to its structure.
  • Options
    MadgeMadge Posts: 6,492
    Forum Member
    I'm a female fan. For me it's pure escapism.
  • Options
    syramusyramu Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a female fan and I began watching during the Tom Baker era because my brother got me into it. I wouldn't say he was obsessive, but he was not generally a reader and yet he had actually bought two books related to DW trivia (which I would periodically grab off his shelves and read!). I did have a crush on Peter Davison and his Doctor, and fell away from the series afterwards due to a combination of factors, but when I finally came back around and started watching the new series (2008 - rushed through series 1-3 and waited for series 4 with great anticipation), I was more obsessive than ever.

I even squeaked out a couple fanvids.:o

I'm currently working on watching all the Classic Who, and I expect that I'll probably be irritatingly spouting off facts about it once I feel comfortable that I'm caught up on all of it.

As a kid I only went to one convention, and it was a local Star Trek convention. I didn't know there were others! :) As an adult I've gone to some Buffy-related conventions and made a completely insane journey to Comic-Con this last summer because of Doctor Who and Being Human.

My sister also watched classic DW but wasn't as obsessive as me or my brother. I do expect, though, that once she and I watch my DVDs together, she will take my obsession and kick it up about five notches. That's what happened with Buffy - she teased me mercilessly about watching that show, then she paid attention to Spike and the rest is history.

I would not say that being into the emotional aspects or crushing on characters/actors/actresses precludes someone from being obsessive about facts and trivia, though.

It's fun to see how everyone is responding slightly differently!

Sorry the post is so long....
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a guy, been a big fan since I was kid, Pertwee era. Big fan of the show, have the DVDs but draw the line at action figures, merchandise, conventions, dressing up and all that gubbins. I'll get the magazine once in a while if passing, I have one book on the history of the show. I've never understood the extra step that other adults take, i.e toys, dressing up and so on,not dissing people that are, but just saying it is possible to be a big fan of something without going the full hog as it were:)

Just like all TV I treat the show as exactly that, a TV show. It's a TV show that I really enjoy but that's all it is, that is what all TV is to me, just TV.
    I don't know if this has changed in recent years, but the stereotype of the loony DW fan dressing up as a Cyberman used to be largely a myth. The American Star Trek fans may have been into all that, but I used to attend conventions until about ten years back and it was very rare to see anyone in costume. We were always a bit more reserved than that.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,036
    Forum Member
    I don't know if this has changed in recent years, but the stereotype of the loony DW fan dressing up as a Cyberman used to be largely a myth. The American Star Trek fans may have been into all that, but I used to attend conventions until about ten years back and it was very rare to see anyone in costume. We were always a bit more reserved than that.

Sorry, I wasn't implying that fans that got to the 'extreme' are loonies. I hope it didn't come across that way. Just in the context of the thread there are many different levels of fandom, some like myself are big fans but don't go in for the more 'full collection' route where as others fans do. :)
  • Options
    GilaGoraGilaGora Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I consider Doctor Who to be a marmite programme - some people love it and some people hate it. I am very much a fan of the new series, but I'm afraid to say I didn't care for the classic series at all. I just couldn't get past the cheap effects, wobbly sets and wooden acting unfortunately.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GilaGora wrote: »
    I consider Doctor Who to be a marmite programme - some people love it and some people hate it. I am very much a fan of the new series, but I'm afraid to say I didn't care for the classic series at all. I just couldn't get past the cheap effects, wobbly sets and wooden acting unfortunately.

What wobbly sets? This is an undeserved stereotype-I defy anyone to find a genuine example of a wobbly set on classic Who. And the acting was certainly not wooden. It may frequently not have been in the more naturalistic style of modern TV, but that's because there is a difference between TV acting and theatre acting, and TV used to be regarded as very much theatre on screen rather than, as it is now, a small scale movie. Acting on classic Who was frequently superb and seldom any more 'wooden' than any other TV drama. It's just a different style of acting. I think the transition to a more naturalistic performance began in the eighties, and Doctor Who was a little slow to catch up, but I see no difference in terms of the actual quality.
  • Options
    ducturductur Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GilaGora wrote: »

I agree with this. But it's basically a case of horses for courses... My wife thought the DW movie was complete dross, even though I liked the more adult bent it had over the classic and new tv series. Having said that, she refused point blank to watch Cameron's Titanic when it came out and has never watched it even now, ostensibly because there was such a furore over it and it was billed as the best thing since sliced bread, that she decided to be different... Can't fault her on that one.

As far as Doctor Who goes, she loves the show even though she will be the first to tell you she didn't like the look of DT when he first appeared. She grew to love him in the role and now doesn't like the look of MS.. guess where this is going !!

Anyway, like I said... horses for courses. I'm of the opinion that female viewers tend to like New Who for the character interaction and emotional content, whereas us guys like it for the basic story premise and the action; which is why it is such a cross-gender hit....Best of both...

One wonders if it would have been so successful if the production team had not been as diverse as it is/was....?

D
  • Options
    GilaGoraGilaGora Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What wobbly sets? This is an undeserved stereotype-I defy anyone to find a genuine example of a wobbly set on classic Who. And the acting was certainly not wooden. It may frequently not have been in the more naturalistic style of modern TV, but that's because there is a difference between TV acting and theatre acting, and TV used to be regarded as very much theatre on screen rather than, as it is now, a small scale movie. Acting on classic Who was frequently superb and seldom any more 'wooden' than any other TV drama. It's just a different style of acting. I think the transition to a more naturalistic performance began in the eighties, and Doctor Who was a little slow to catch up, but I see no difference in terms of the actual quality.

In the days of Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy I thought the sets were very shaky, as well as the acting and effects. To be fair I've only ever seen the Davison/C.Baker/McCoy seasons of classic who so I can't really comment on anything that came before them. I've heard good things about Pertwee and T.Baker though, so I might have to watch some of their episodes sometime.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Yep, another girl here, who is certainly interested in the series and not just the eye candy (tho that does facilitate the watching ;) )
    I think it seems to be a stereotype that only men can be sci fi geeks. I've watched all episodes of the new series more than once (more than twice in most cases!) know all the characters, episode names, monsters, quotes etc I was more excited about Doctor Who returning than my husband was by miles!
    I also compulsively watch Star Trek too (apart from the original series, the wobbly set unrealistic aliens thing!) along with alot of sci fi based programs, so just a geek all round me!
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What wobbly sets? This is an undeserved stereotype-I defy anyone to find a genuine example of a wobbly set on classic Who.

Sorry Tingram:

- The pre-cut wall in Invisible Enemy
    - The pyramid thingie in Keys of Marinus
    - The bulkhead door in Warriors of the Deep
    - The slamming shutters in Invasion of the Dinosaurs (or The Green Death. Can't remember which).

But those few examples (just off the top of head, there are probably more) are the only ones I can think of amnd are the exception that proves the rule.

As for wobbly acting ... I can think of a few, but my gentlemanliness ensures I don't name names. ;)

All that is part and parcel of "old" telly, though, and I am 100% happier with that than with the perfect computer generatedness of the 21st century show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm female and never miss an episode. Haven't been to any conventions though.

I didn't see any classic who the first time around. I was probably old enough by the end, but don't recall watching any- though I do remember my Dad telling me he used to be scared by it as a child, and laughing at him, so I had some vague idea what it was. I've seen a few episodes since then, but wouldn't have bothered if I hadn't seen new who.

I watched from 2005 and absolutely loved it. CE is my Doctor and I don't think the show would have been a success without him. Enjoyed the DT series too, but in my opinion series 1 of new who is still the best. I don't fancy DT in the least. I like the inclusion of companions' families as it makes the show a little more realistic- we all have people who would miss us if we disappeared for a long stretch of time- but don't particularly want to see domestic drama, just having them occasionally appear is fine.

Having said all that, I like a lot of sci fi and work in a pretty geeky job. I prefer it when shows don't overtly try to appeal to the stereotypical female as it usually annoys me. Same way it annoys me when otherwise cool girl fitting clothes or shoes are all bright pink versions of things boys get in better colours.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I never used to watch dr who as a kid cause the parents never liked it....(naughty parents)

however after meeting my current boyfriend who is all about Dr Who I have not only been watching the new Dr Who series but most of the old aswell, and I have to say one of the reasons I love the old episodes are becasue of the wobbly sets...it makes me love Dr Who in the same way as I love Red Dwarf....

I have now become obsessed with all things Dr Who and started reading this forum which makes me laugh most of the time so I decided to join....i'm not at the point where I know all the names of everything but i'm working on it...:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a girl, have been watching since the days of Sylvester McCoy, have seen all of the other classic Doctors, and am completely obsessed with it. So much so, that back when The Lazarus Experiment was bumped for Eurovision, my friends rang to make sure I hadn't done anything silly!!!

I think, due to the stronger female characters that have appeared since the show was rebooted, it's become more of an "acceptable" thing for girls to watch. It was starting to go that way by the end of the McCoy era, I suppose, because Ace didn't do as much screaming as her predecessors, and was more than willing to go off on her own. OK, Sarah Jane did/does that too, but she was a bit of a screamer, let's be honest!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,481
    Forum Member
    I know DW is enjoyed by both sexes, but it's the men who get a bit trainspotterish with their knowledge/memory of past episodes.

There're quite a few male posters on the Dr W threads to prove my point - you can't all be autistic :D
  • Options
    mikkyhmikkyh Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    As i said up thread it ISN'T mostly viewed by males at all according to BARB data. This is a break down of the series 3 audience , for example:

3.1 - 47% M, 53% F
    3.2 - 48% M, 52% F
    3.3 - 52% M, 48% F
    3.4 - 50%M, 50% F
    3.5 - 50%M, 50% F
    3.6 - 49% M, 51% F
    3.7 - 50% M, 50% F
    3.8 - 48%M, 52% F
    3.9 - 47% M, 53%F
    3.10 - 50% M, 50% F
    3.11 - 49%, 51%
    3.12 - 50 M, 50% F
    3.13 - 50% M, 50% F

As you can see, it's pretty even, actually a slightly higher female audience.

I think the difference is that fandom is still more than likely male dominated, but in terms of viewers, it most certainly isn't.

I don't see any of the statistics for the Classic episodes there...
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm female, 30 and a fan. A big fan, it is my favourite show of all time and I get so crazy just before a new episode is going to air.

It is nothing to do with just watching it for David Tennant. Why anyone would just watch a TV series because they fancy the lead is beyond me, surely you want to enjoy the story line too?

I get a bit train spotter'ish with facts at times, especially with the new series' and I am improving my knowledge of Classic Who.
  • Options
    jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of my female friends watch DrW because they fancy DT, or because of the human interest, such as storylines involving Donna and her grandfather etc.
    They don't seem to mind missing a bit while they dish up dinner or answer the phone.

Men viewers seem to have an almost obsessive interest in memorising all the doctors, aliens, even the series titles, and would chew off their own legs rather than miss an episode.

Are men and women viewers all that different, or are my friends all a bit odd?

When doctor Who came back in 2005, it took my wife five weeks to realise it was Christopher Eccleston in the role - after that, she was hooked and used to make a BIG point of watching it - sometimes by herself.

When David Tennant took over the role, she said "well, I'll give him a chance but I doubt he'll be as good as Chris..." - after a while, she was hooked.

Now Matt Smith has taken over the role I've had the same "I'll give him a chance but...."

She loves the program and I have a feeling she'll like Matt Smith too... :)
  • Options
    NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    mikkyh wrote: »
    I don't see any of the statistics for the Classic episodes there...

From the way some Classic Who fans act here, I'm not sure if women had been invented back then. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the way some Classic Who fans act here, I'm not sure if women had been invented back then. ;)

My wife is a classic Who fan. She generally finds the new series a bit silly.