Options

50 mbps virgin - modem lights flashing, virgin support == horrible

Just had a very nasty encounter with the virgin 150 support re: broadband. I simply had unplugged/replugged my modem because moving furniture, and internet access just stopped working.

The tech support guy was incredibly rude. Asking me what I did for a living, and treating me like a complete moron. You could hear him sigh of the line and making comments like 'he can't even dial a phone number'.

Needless to say I'm still with my internet down. Now I happen not to be a complete moron, in fact I have 12 years experience sysadmining, so I connected to 192.168.100.1 and here's what I can see:

able Modem : DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0/3.0 Compliant
Serial Number : 0904E08B10004671
Boot Code Version : 6.1.1c
Software Version : 3.11.1011
Hardware Version : 1.39
CA Key : Installed

Acquired Downstream Channel 299.001343 MHz Primary Downstream Locked
Ranged Upstream Channel 25.798563 MHz Success
Provisioning State In Progress BPI Initialization

Ethernet Link Status Up 100 Mbps/Full duplex
Frequency 299000000 N/A N/A N/A
Lock Status
(QAM Lock/FEC Sync/MPEG Lock) Y/Y/Y N/N/N N/N/N N/N/N
Channel Id 0 N/A N/A N/A
Modulation 256QAM N/A N/A N/A
Symbol Rate
(Msym/sec) 6.952 N/A N/A N/A
Interleave Depth I=12
J=17 N/A N/A N/A
Power Level
(dBmV) 2.05 N/A N/A N/A
RxMER
(dB) 35.25 N/A N/A N/A
Correctable
Codewords 0 N/A N/A N/A
Uncorrectable
Codewords 290 N/A N/A N/A

Channel Type 1.0 N/A N/A N/A
Channel ID 2 N/A N/A N/A
Frequency
(Hz) 25800000 N/A N/A N/A
Ranging Status Success N/A N/A N/A
Modulation 16QAM N/A N/A N/A
Symbol Rate
(KSym/sec) 2560 N/A N/A N/A
Mini-Slot Size 2 N/A N/A N/A
Power Level
(dBmV) 38.75 N/A N/A N/A
T1 Timeouts 0
T2 Timeouts 0 0 0 0
T3 Timeouts 3 0 0 0
T4 Timeouts 26 0 0 0

General Configuration
Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Baseline Privacy : Enabled
DOCSIS Mode : DOCSIS 3.0
Config File : N914b3f9fb35d0398.cm
Primary Downstream Service Flow
SFID : 22760
Max Traffic Rate : 53000000 bps
Max Traffic Burst : 10000 bytes
Min Traffic Rate : 0 bps
Primary Upstream Service Flow
SFID : 26458
Max Traffic Rate : 1750000 bps
Max Traffic Burst : 3044 bytes
Min Traffic Rate : 0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst : 0 bytes
Scheduling Type : Best Effort

Sun Jan 17 16:29:04 2010 Sun Jan 17 16:29:04 2010 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=dddddddd;CMTS-MAC=ddddddd;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Sun Jan 17 16:29:34 2010 Sun Jan 17 16:31:21 2010 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=dddddddddddddd:c5;CMTS-MAC=ddddddd;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Sun Jan 17 16:31:36 2010 Sun Jan 17 16:31:36 2010 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=ddddddddddddd;CMTS-MAC=ddddddddddddddddd0;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Sun Jan 17 16:32:06 2010 Sun Jan 17 16:38:00 2010 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=ddddddddd;CMTS-MAC=ddddddddddd;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Any idea?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like you don't have a connection at all. Check the coax cable that goes into the back of the modem. Apart from that if there's no area fault you'll need an engineer out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Thank you - I've checked the cable and everything is plugged in correctly. In fact if I disconnect it the logger on the ambit just stops and frequency drops to 0 (obviously).

Tried to ring virgin again, who say they can't bring the appointment forward, so now I will be a week without internet. What a joke.
  • Options
    ek-ukek-uk Posts: 2,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would report the agent. He is obviously in the wrong job or at least needs retraining in the art of customer support.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cigaro78 wrote: »
    Thank you - I've checked the cable and everything is plugged in correctly. In fact if I disconnect it the logger on the ambit just stops and frequency drops to 0 (obviously).

Tried to ring virgin again, who say they can't bring the appointment forward, so now I will be a week without internet. What a joke.

You could try unscrewing the coax at the modem end and just check there's nothing touching the copper core. It only takes one tiny piece if braiding to touch that to short out the signal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Power Level
    (dBmV) 2.05 N/A N/A N/A
    RxMER
    (dB) 35.25 N/A N/A N/A

T1 Timeouts 0
    T2 Timeouts 0 0 0 0
    T3 Timeouts 3 0 0 0
    T4 Timeouts 26 0 0 0

You only have one downstream and depending on what kit the would usually be 3 or 4 if you were online.

The 26 T4 show that you have lost your connection that many times since your last reboot.

You will not have spoken to any 50Mb agents as none are available Sundays, you more than likely spoke to offshore.

Call the UK based 50Mb team tomorrow morning after 0800 on 0800 052 0431, ask about an earlier slot and put in a formal complaint against the other agent as he can be identified from your account.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    petey286 wrote: »
    Call the UK based 50Mb team tomorrow morning after 0800 on 0800 052 0431, ask about an earlier slot and put in a formal complaint against the other agent as he can be identified from your account.

Thank you very much! I'll do just that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just a quick update: I dialled the number left on this thread and got through a native English speaker *immediately*. While he couldn't move the appointment forward, he was very helpful and supportive and even advised to dial again a bit later in case they got some cancellation.

I reported the first 'csr' - hopefully this will have an impact. Thank you ever so much to everyone in this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick update: I dialled the number left on this thread and got through a native English speaker *immediately*. While he couldn't move the appointment forward, he was very helpful and supportive and even advised to dial again a bit later in case they got some cancellation.

I reported the first 'csr' - hopefully this will have an impact. Thank you ever so much to everyone in this thread.

Did he say that he would do feedback for you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    hi there it could be down to low snr at the server side of things, i've had the same issue myself, in the modem config pages it will only say it is locked onto 1 d/s signal so i know they have booked you a tech but it might mean that the tech gets to your house and is not able to do anything so it might be worthwhile mate to call up again so they can check that, cheers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hi there it could be down to low snr at the server side of things, i've had the same issue myself, in the modem config pages it will only say it is locked onto 1 d/s signal so i know they have booked you a tech but it might mean that the tech gets to your house and is not able to do anything so it might be worthwhile mate to call up again so they can check that, cheers.

That can be checked with the online tools and over the phone with yourself.
  • Options
    cbram1970cbram1970 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    all that information = one thing the ubr their end thinks your modem doesn't exist so has gone into provisioning mode, all vm do is reprovision and you'll be online.

i had that issue 5 times!!!:mad:

in the original post the giveaway is this

Provisioning State In Progress BPI Initialization.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cbram1970 wrote: »
    all that information = one thing the ubr their end thinks your modem doesn't exist so has gone into provisioning mode, all vm do is reprovision and you'll be online.

i had that issue 5 times!!!:mad:

in the original post the giveaway is this

Provisioning State In Progress BPI Initialization.

That's got nothing to do with it. The modem isn't locking at all so there's a signal fault somewhere.
  • Options
    cbram1970cbram1970 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    yeah it's not locking cause the ubr thinks it's not in existance, i had the issue 5 times and each time it was ubr end and the information the original poster has put is identical to the faults i had. I am no expert but when you have senior techs say it was ubr issues not the modem at fault you tend to believe what they say.

Or maybe i am just talking cr@p?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cbram1970 wrote: »
    yeah it's not locking cause the ubr thinks it's not in existance, i had the issue 5 times and each time it was ubr end and the information the original poster has put is identical to the faults i had. I am no expert but when you have senior techs say it was ubr issues not the modem at fault you tend to believe what they say.

Or maybe i am just talking cr@p?

It also depends what type of uBR that you are on as the are 2 different makes used for 50Mb, the is the Cisco 1000 which can be identified by having only 3 downstreams and the is the Motorola BSR which can be identified by having 4 downstreams.

If yours has a only 3 then it may have been a failure at the Key encryption stage and can be caused by high downstream power levels.

So post your downstream power levels here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    petey286 wrote: »
    Did he say that he would do feedback for you.

yup, he said he would, but I never got a call back. No big deal, as long as he made sure the complaint had been passed on I'm happy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yup, he said he would, but I never got a call back. No big deal, as long as he made sure the complaint had been passed on I'm happy.

Let us know what the verdict is tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ryrazzer wrote: »
    Let us know what the verdict is tomorrow.

Right guys I'm the OP giving a quick update here because I think I've just entered the twilight zone :)

Engineer came in 9am and checked the cable. Nice guy, quiet type though :) He replaced a bit that was slightly bent and of course that did nothing.

So he called whoever and they told him to read the logs, then to replace the modem. So he did that and that also did nothing. At that point I left because I had to take my son to a doctor's appointment.

My wife took over and when I came back nothing worked. I was left with the 'walled garden' welcome page locked in a loop. I got mad and unplugged the modem. Sure enough that didn't fix it, so I restarted it again. Lo and behold the internet is back now.

BUT WAIT! This is the best part. I had a call from my wife who said that after I left, the engineer couldn't fix it. He apparently traced the fault to the 'amps' (I think that's my wife's fanciful interpretation here :)) and that a team will fix these mysterious 'amps' in 48h.

So I don't know what to say.... but I sure as hell won't be unplugging this modem from the wall anytime soon :)

Will update you in 48h.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah. Well spoke to soon, the net is up but bandwidth is like 300kbps. At least I can browse the web I guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right guys I'm the OP giving a quick update here because I think I've just entered the twilight zone :)

Engineer came in 9am and checked the cable. Nice guy, quiet type though :) He replaced a bit that was slightly bent and of course that did nothing.

So he called whoever and they told him to read the logs, then to replace the modem. So he did that and that also did nothing. At that point I left because I had to take my son to a doctor's appointment.

My wife took over and when I came back nothing worked. I was left with the 'walled garden' welcome page locked in a loop. I got mad and unplugged the modem. Sure enough that didn't fix it, so I restarted it again. Lo and behold the internet is back now.

BUT WAIT! This is the best part. I had a call from my wife who said that after I left, the engineer couldn't fix it. He apparently traced the fault to the 'amps' (I think that's my wife's fanciful interpretation here :)) and that a team will fix these mysterious 'amps' in 48h.

So I don't know what to say.... but I sure as hell won't be unplugging this modem from the wall anytime soon :)

Will update you in 48h.

When they swap modems they get them removed from the walled garden but sometimes they stick. So when you rebooted it, it came out. The engineer should have really known that. Maybe he was new.
    The amp is the green cabinet where your cable is connected to the network.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well right on time at 17:00 they came up as promised and... well whatever internet I had left is now down. I called 150 and the only thing the guy could say is 'have you tried rebooting the modem?'. Eventually he realized there was a 'fault in the area' and I should 'try again in the morning'.

I'm starting to miss my 20mbps service...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    50Mb support is 0800 052 0431 but only has UK agents 0800 - 2000 Monday to Friday and 0800 - 1600 Saturday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I called twice more and everytime it's the usual 'have you tried rebooting your modem?' Looks like they don't keep track of work that has been done previously and treat each call as a 'new issue'.

The best I could get was 'there's no estimate time for a fix'. I don't think they even know what they are talking about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know any of your neighbours and are they on virgin?
    You could ask if they are having problems to see if it is a local network fault.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok I'm now considering moving to SKY
    I called 6 times yesterday. Every time I was repeated the exact same script, always ending in 'did you try rebooting your modem'. It's so infurating. Every time I was told it would be 'fixed shortly' or 'fixed within 30 minutes'.

I called again and lost my marbles. They are sending an engineer out tomorrow, we'll see how that goes. They also said they'd refund the loss of service to my account.

The mind boggles!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok now they've cut the cable service too. No telly, no internet. What's next?