Options

Train rage

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,397
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm normally a very placid person, and am only just learning to be more assertive/stand up for myself. I really really hate confrontation. Today, however, I was completely taken aback at how much I was angered by someone on the train. The person in question had accused me of pushing into her. (I was trying to get past as she was completely blocking the aisle.) Quite out of character, I started really having a go at the woman, as I was so gobsmacked by her rudeness and general unwillingness to let me past.

It was almost like an out of body experience, and in my head I was thinking "why don't you shut up!", but the words kept coming out my mouth nonetheless. I'm still fuming about it, and when I got off the train I was having to fight the tears. I'm sure I must have looked like an idiot.

What is it about situations like this that can stir up such rage in us? As I type, I'm still reeling from the experience...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,112
    Forum Member
    It's being forced to use public transport that does it to me. I am much worse when I am forced to be around the masses...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even people breathing can irritate me to the point of wanting to punch them in the back of the head.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MrsBambi wrote: »
    Even people breathing can irritate me to the point of wanting to punch them in the back of the head.

Move to London, if you're not already there, you will fit in well!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DGSx wrote: »
    Move to London, if you're not already there, you will fit in well!

I was on the tube!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was on the tube!

Jubilee line? That is where I find the worst people...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jubilee line? That is where I find the worst people...

District :mad::mad:. I used to get Jubilee in my last job, but I did flexi-time so it wasn't that bad after about 9ish. I also HATE the central line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    District :mad::mad:. I used to get Jubilee in my last job, but I did flexi-time so it wasn't that bad after about 9ish. I also HATE the central line.

I try not to get on it these days it annoys me too muc. Just be as rude as you like to people on the tube :D
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Travelling on public transport in London can be very stressful.

I've had countless incidents and confrontations over the years - a few of which have resulted in blows being exchanged.

One I recall was when I was on a packed tube and some idiot decided to jump onto the carriage at the last minute - slamming into my back and causing my neck to jolt. I turned around in a rage and punched him square in the face. Maybe an over-reaction. Perhaps due to being deprived of oxygen - who knows?

Anyway - it's amazing how a packed carriage can suddenly produce 20 sq ft of space when an incident like this occurrs.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

OK, you first post I could understand, but this suggests maybe you should discuss with a professional. Wanting to assault people for breathing is not normal behaviour.

Having said this, I was on a train last night (Paddington->Bristol) and was trying to get 40 winks, except the person in the seat behind me was playing rubbish R&B music on their phone - not through earphones, but on the speaker! I don't understand why people cannot cope on a 90 minute train journey quietly! What do they think is going to happen to them if they go a few hours without music?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I try not to get on it these days it annoys me too muc. Just be as rude as you like to people on the tube :D

I was! The thing is, I don't think that particular situation warranted quite so much vitriol and rage on my part. I certainly felt like a wally as soon as I got off the train.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    OK, you first post I could understand, but this suggests maybe you should discuss with a professional. Wanting to assault people for breathing is not normal behaviour.

Having said this, I was on a train last night (Paddington->Bristol) and was trying to get 40 winks, except the person in the seat behind me was playing rubbish R&B music on their phone - not through earphones, but on the speaker! I don't understand why people cannot cope on a 90 minute train journey quietly! What do they think is going to happen to them if they go a few hours without music?

I was joking (sort of) about wanting to punch people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    Travelling on public transport in London can be very stressful.

Agreed.
    I've had countless incidents and confrontations over the years - a few of which have resulted in blows being exchanged.

Worrying.
    One I recall was when I was on a packed tube and some idiot decided to jump onto the carriage at the last minute - slamming into my back and causing my neck to jolt. I turned around in a rage and punched him square in the face. Maybe an over-reaction. Perhaps due to being deprived of oxygen - who knows?

A ridiculous over-reaction, I'd say, and you should think yourself lucky you weren't charged with assault. The other person should have been more considerate, but you should also be able to control yourself.
    Anyway - it's amazing how a packed carriage can suddenly produce 20 sq ft of space when an incident like this occurrs.

People were no doubt clamouring to get away from the person willing to turn round and assault someone without a second thought.
  • Options
    GeorgemcneilGeorgemcneil Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm normally a very placid person, and am only just learning to be more assertive/stand up for myself. I really really hate confrontation. Today, however, I was completely taken aback at how much I was angered by someone on the train. The person in question had accused me of pushing into her. (I was trying to get past as she was completely blocking the aisle.) Quite out of character, I started really having a go at the woman, as I was so gobsmacked by her rudeness and general unwillingness to let me past.

It was almost like an out of body experience, and in my head I was thinking "why don't you shut up!", but the words kept coming out my mouth nonetheless. I'm still fuming about it, and when I got off the train I was having to fight the tears. I'm sure I must have looked like an idiot.

What is it about situations like this that can stir up such rage in us? As I type, I'm still reeling from the experience...

R.A.T.M.
  • Options
    Forum Member

You're not alone in that! The last time was about 4 months ago and it went from flash to bang in about 15 seconds, bloody drunken idiot was being abusive to everyone :rolleyes:
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd once got reserved tickets for an Edinburgh to Sheffield train that was over an hour delayed. I will make allowances for one of my most annoying ever experience on a train and state that it finally turned up at the same time as the next train was due. There were constant announcements that this was the 5 O'clock service, not the 6 O'clock service but it didn't stop one woman spending a good 10 minutes arguing with me, accusing me of pinching her seat. I explained, showed her my ticket, but she wasn't having any of it. I asked her to check her ticket - she refused ( why?? ). She was actually talking to me like I was a child and to this day I've never been patronised as much as I was then. I didn't argue or engage in any irritation until she decided to retort that it was a bit too much that she 'should pay extra' for a reserved seat when anyone but anybody could sit in it. - Erm, not that it was the point anyway but whether things have changed or not Virgin rail at that time did NOT charge for reservations - it always amazes me just what lies some people will go to to try and get their own way. I told her that if she had reservations for this seat then it was for the next train, not this one - she huffed and went into some long speech about insulting her intelligence ( I'd switched off by this time ) I ended the conversation after before mentioned 10 minutes and many many stares from other passengers, by telling her if she had a problem to go get the ticket inspector. I never saw her again after that.

I suppose you'd have had to have been there just to realise how irritating and annoying the whole episode was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd once got reserved tickets for an Edinburgh to Sheffield train that was over an hour delayed. I will make allowances for one of my most annoying ever experience on a train and state that it finally turned up at the same time as the next train was due. There were constant announcements that this was the 5 O'clock service, not the 6 O'clock service but it didn't stop one woman spending a good 10 minutes arguing with me, accusing me of pinching her seat. I explained, showed her my ticket, but she wasn't having any of it. I asked her to check her ticket - she refused ( why?? ). She was actually talking to me like I was a child and to this day I've never been patronised as much as I was then. I didn't argue or engage in any irritation until she decided to retort that it was a bit too much that she 'should pay extra' for a reserved seat when anyone but anybody could sit in it. - Erm, not that it was the point anyway but whether things have changed or not Virgin rail at that time did NOT charge for reservations - it always amazes me just what lies some people will go to to try and get their own way. I told her that if she had reservations for this seat then it was for the next train, not this one - she huffed and went into some long speech about insulting her intelligence ( I'd switched off by this time ) I ended the conversation after before mentioned 10 minutes and many many stares from other passengers, by telling her if she had a problem to go get the ticket inspector. I never saw her again after that.

I suppose you'd have had to have been there just to realise how irritating and annoying the whole episode was.

I sympathise :). People can become very aggressive in situations like this.
  • Options
    fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    I am very unconfrontational and hate any sort of argument but a few years ago I was in a car park in Poole with my ex boyfriend. He had a low slung sports coupe with a long door and it was a tight car park and as I got out the door lightly banged the car next to me even though I was being very careful. There was no damage done as I had opened the door very slowly but then the woman who owned the car suddenly appeared screaming at me for hitting her car. I apologised and pointed out that there was no damage to either car and she just carried on shouting in my face. Eventually I just saw red and, like the OP, felt I was almost having an out of body experience. I went right up to her and screamed "I HAVE SAID SORRY YOU STUPID ****ING COW NOW SHUT THE **** UP" and stormed into the shop- I was shaking from head to toe!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am very unconfrontational and hate any sort of argument but a few years ago I was in a car park in Poole with my ex boyfriend. He had a low slung sports coupe with a long door and it was a tight car park and as I got out the door lightly banged the car next to me even though I was being very careful. There was no damage done as I had opened the door very slowly but then the woman who owned the car suddenly appeared screaming at me for hitting her car. I apologised and pointed out that there was no damage to either car and she just carried on shouting in my face. Eventually I just saw red and, like the OP, felt I was almost having an out of body experience. I went right up to her and screamed "I HAVE SAID SORRY YOU STUPID ****ING COW NOW SHUT THE **** UP" and stormed into the shop- I was shaking from head to toe!

You've made me feel so much better fitnessqueen:). And thanks to everyone else who shared their stories. I would never normally under any circumstances be so confrontational - in fact, I'm always that person who wishes they'd said something and thinks of a witty retort hours/days after the event. For some reason that woman really upset me - I think she was deliberately being difficult, and wanted to make me look an idiot...I still don't know what got into me though. Normally, I wouldn't rise to the bait and would just ignore someone like that.. I was already in a bad mood, and it is Monday...but still.
  • Options
    FOXPRESIDENTFOXPRESIDENT Posts: 4,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is it wrong... but I had to laugh so much at that comment... :D
  • Options
    The TornadoThe Tornado Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    i had a similar incident with Cat Dealey

i could smell the alcohol too. filthy mouth on her. i dont care how well she is doing stateside i told her. she did not like that. when i got off the train i shouted

"and I like Fearne Cotton better than you" oh the icy look she gave me before the expletives came

never mess with The Tornado would be my message to tv presenters:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    I've had a similar experince recently, OP. I'm a very shy, quiet, 'only speak if spoken to' type of person.
    Only lately I've started biting back when people p*ss me off.

We've been having problems with groups of youths hanging around and causing trouble outside our flat, right by our front door. For ages I just came and went, completely ignoring them because I was too scared to say anything.
    One day last week they started laughing at my sister as we came out our door (she has physical and learning disabilities) calling her a 'retard', something snapped inside and I launched a verbal attack on them. I called them 'lazy chavs' and asked if they had homes to go to, and stop intimidating a household of females, if they were men they'd pick on someone their own size. I got a load of abuse back, of course, but they haven't returned :)

Apparently you could hear the quiver in my voice and I was visibly shaking like a leaf, but I was loud and stood my ground. I'm quite proud of myself for that, little me taking on 5 ugly chavs built like brickhouses :o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summerain wrote: »
    I've had a similar experince recently, OP. I'm a very shy, quiet, 'only speak if spoken to' type of person.
    Only lately I've started biting back when people p*ss me off.

We've been having problems with groups of youths hanging around and causing trouble outside our flat, right by our front door. For ages I just came and went, completely ignoring them because I was too scared to say anything.
    One day last week they started laughing at my sister as we came out our door (she has physical and learning disabilities) calling her a 'retard', something snapped inside and I launched a verbal attack on them. I called them 'lazy chavs' and asked if they had homes to go to, and stop intimidating a household of females, if they were men they'd pick on someone their own size. I got a load of abuse back, of course, but they haven't returned :)

Apparently you could hear the quiver in my voice, but I was loud and stood my ground. I'm quite proud of myself for that, little me taking on 5 ugly chavs built like brickhouses :o:D

Good for you, summerain. Your reason for standing up for yourself is rather more commendable than mine, I must say, but it does feel good to do it regardless. Those chavs sound pathetic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    Good for you, summerain. Your reason for standing up for yourself is rather more commendable than mine, I must say, but it does feel good to do it regardless. Those chavs sound pathetic.

Thanks :) it was such an adrenaline rush, although scary I felt so much better afterwards. Like you said, it was almost and out of body experince, I knew it was me shouting but at the same time I couldn't believe it was me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont get me started

Everything makes me angry, but I have to speak out when it comes to manners

my favourite rage moment though was when we were waiting at a crossing, the light went red, and the green man came up, my missus stepped out in to the road as you do, and a car bombed through coming within a whisker of her.

there was another set of traffic lights 50 metres up the road, that had cars stopped at it so this car could not carry on and had to stop.

I sprinted up the road, blind with rage, opened the car door to the offender and screamed that if I ever saw them going through a red light again I would "effing kill them"

it was only then that I realised the offender had been a small mr magoo looking old man, who had probably just voided his bowels

I felt so guilty

my other gripe is w**kers who drive through puddles to splash pedestrians. If I go past puddles, I always make sure I have a pound coin in my hand ready to throw as hard as I can at the windows/paintwork
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When i was air hosting i got on a almost empty train to gatwick at an off peak time. I had two suitcases with me and sat in one of the 6 seaters that face each other and put my bags oppsite me. The train started to fill up really fast a few stops later and all the other seats were full, i started to put my book in my handbag so i could move my suitcase so someone could sit down opposite to me, when some rude pr*ck poked me on the shoulder and said "can you move your bag, i want to sit down". That p*ssed me off as it was clear i was already trying to move my stuff but i stayed quiet and picked up my suitcase to put it under my seat. As i picked it up he sat down opposite me, then some assh*le woman sat in my seat (where all my stuff was).
    So i was standing in my uniform in the middle of the 6 seater holding my suitcase, and now all the seats were taken. My stuff which was on the seat i was originally on had been shoved to one side by this assh*le woman. I now had nowhere to put my bag as my seat had been taken. I was fuming so i stepped over peoples feet to put it by the bin in the aisle (out of the way). As i was doing this someone tried to shove past me and said "stupid f*cking place to stand with a suitcase".
    Then i lost my temper. I yelled at the arrogant prick who tried to push past me, swore at him till he was bright red in the face, dumped my suitcase under the bin, then went back to the six seater (where my handbag and small case still were). I was raging (the whole carraige was watching me now) and just said "Can you get your fat arse off my stuff" grabbed my bag and my book and stood up. I then waved at the woman who had sat on my stuff and seat and the man who poked me, as they were staring and said something along the lines of "is it ok if i stand here, feel free to use me as a leg rest".

When i got off the train at gatwick my captain for the flight had been on the same carraige, and was laughing at the fact i had done it in my uniform, and the people's faces when i flipped. Thank god he had a sense of humour, or i probably would have been fired!