Options

New Doctor Who Fan (Part C. Baker)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tigger-Roo wrote: »
    Oh I loved the idea of the LINDA gang and that we are very similar. Not that I've been out tracking down the Doctor. No Siree, not me.

lol:D
    Solamenn wrote: »
    One leaves and learns. I didn't know all those things about ketchup

The Writer's Tale, by mid-chapter 2 (more or less)

I am currently reading chapter 2. I left it when RTD had just imagined the meeting scene in Partners in Crime. I had a big smile on my face.
    Penny would have been interesting, but I'm glad CT said yes and we didn't have another love story between the Doctor and his companion.
    I've been really interested in RTD's religious opinion, and I'll have to rewatch Gridlock bearing that in mind. Maybe I'll manage to connect more with the episode, but I'm really not sure of it.
    Most of all, I've loved all his complaining and kind of self-loathing : I don't want to make an abusive generalization but it seems that TV writers are just the same than literature writers ;) All twisted inside, and full of inertia and creative lightnings, and self-loathing, and huge egos, all and their contrary. I don't do psychology and I'd never apply psychology to a literary work (that would be blasphemy to me) but I'm sure it's because of those twists in themselves that they can create.

Yeah all that is really interesting to read!!!
    Cool ! Do we all bring music instruments tomorrow ?

I will bring in a flute!!!!!!:D
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Hmmm...since you all seem to have forgotten....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvAenK95PfQ

*sniffs*

Bye bye part Davison you'll always be the best!

Awwww...those times willl be remembered though...
    I totally agree, I love the bit where he describes how Penny now just walks past the blue box and never meets the doctor.....but yet not sure that I agree with the view that Ten would have been ready for another love interest post series 3.

And yes the description of what became one of the most memorable scenes on all of DW is brilliant to read as well.

One thing I love about the way he writes in e-mail is that it comes across exactly how he talks, don't you think?

I agree...and that is what pulls me in a lot...even when he goes off on a tangent...its almost like I am hearing him speak!!!
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Webslark wrote: »
    Well, I suppose it had a kind of f eckless charm ;)

Bet this one is MUCH more colourful :D

Maybe a bit too colourful for it's own good...:o

I love how DS has deemd f eckless to be a swear word btw!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    I agree...and that is what pulls me in a lot...even when he goes off on a tangent...its almost like I am hearing him speak!!!

Thats it exactly for me, like this little snippet:

"But it's madness, A women that busy? With her own TV show? Making movies now? We'll never get Catherine for a whole series. Still, we can but try!"

It's the short clipped sentences and boyish enthusiasm that come through the dialogue...so RTD!:)
  • Options
    weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    whooo hoooo a nice clean thread :D

well done TR for being an "annual" thread starter/OPer :D

right!! sooooo much to catch up on! :eek:

the eyes are MUCH better and at last I can see to type on a normal screen!
    just one piece of advice from a Naggy Weedle, that I would like you to take notice of please.....

As Ken will agree, sore eyes/painful eyes/blurred or double vision is something that you must never take for granted. If anyone has any problems with their eyes, don't assume that it will get better by itself or that "it's nothing that an early night wouldn't put right",
    please go to an optician/opthalmologist and get them checked out! - pleeeeease!!

back to the topic!

first and foremost

*toooot tooooot parpppp parrpppppp kerchiiinggg kerchiiiiing*

CRAZZY'S HERE!!!!

WB Crazzy!! :D missed you and your MQ posts!
    and come back soon Crowfoot and SheMoore - you are missed too....

*Weedle goes into a "rounding up lost Whoonies" mode*

*I* haven't watched any of THE Colin Baker eps - so what would fellow Whoonies recommend?
    would it be a "regenerist" one?? Doctor Five to Doctor Six?? if I could have some tips then I can either whizz over to Bluey or just pop over to Amazon and clickety click clicky into my basket!

I now have a Tardis moneybox to play with! :D from this week's edition of DWA - the only problem was with the decorative stickers :( - they hadn't been scored properly and wouldn't peel of the backing paper without tearing :(

Billie P was on This Morning today - to only talk about THAT show ;) - she's sooooo different now! she seems to have gone a little bit "schwoooo" and a little bit "schwaaaaaaay" and very "yah" - :eek: - she was wearing a gold necklet with the name Winston it - sweet :)

right off to do dinner - back laters!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats it exactly for me, like this little snippet:

"But it's madness, A women that busy? With her own TV show? Making movies now? We'll never get Catherine for a whole series. Still, we can but try!"

It's the short clipped sentences and boyish enthusiasm that come through the dialogue...so RTD!:)

Also, I think that also helps me get over any mad ideas he gets which I otherwise would have cringed at....but the way he says it...I can't help but laugh...and feel relieved that he didn't go through with it!!!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Hey Tiggs well done on being number 1 - missed again. Back later after I've eaten my Chinese and finished tonight's Buffy. Then I need to read the rest of here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

well done TR for being an "annual" thread starter/OPer

right!! sooooo much to catch up on! :eek:

just one piece of advice from a Naggy Weedle, that I would like you to take notice of please.....

As Ken will agree, sore eyes/painful eyes/blurred or double vision is something that you must never take for granted. If anyone has any problems with their eyes, don't assume that it will get better by itself or that "it's nothing that an early night wouldn't put right",
    please go to an optician/opthalmologist and get them checked out! - pleeeeease!!

back to the topic!

first and foremost

CRAZZY'S HERE!!!!

*I* haven't watched any of THE Colin Baker eps - so what would fellow Whoonies recommend?
    would it be a "regenerist" one?? Doctor Five to Doctor Six?? if I could have some tips then I can either whizz over to Bluey or just pop over to Amazon and clickety click clicky into my basket!

I now have a Tardis moneybox to play with! :D from this week's edition of DWA - the only problem was with the decorative stickers :( - they hadn't been scored properly and wouldn't peel of the backing paper without tearing :(

Billie P was on This Morning today - to only talk about THAT show ;) - she's sooooo different now! she seems to have gone a little bit "schwoooo" and a little bit "schwaaaaaaay" and very "yah" - :eek: - she was wearing a gold necklet with the name Winston it - sweet :)

Hi Weedle!!!!! :D So great to hear that your eyes are much better. And thankyou for that advice actually because it does make me think that I do have an attitude of sometimes thinking that certain pains that I get sometimes will just go away.

Your talk of Dinner has left me feeling hungry....so I think I will pop to the shop!!! See you in a bit!!
  • Options
    WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just had a thought- will this thread get put on trial at some point by potential future rgeneration? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, I think that also helps me get over any mad ideas he gets which I otherwise would have cringed at....but the way he says it...I can't help but laugh...and feel relieved that he didn't go through with it!!!:D

LOl, yeah I guess. Anyway my very favorite bit in the first two chapters?

Ben: shall we light a candle for Penny?
    RTD: you light a candle, I'll light a cigarette!

:D

Brilliant!:D
  • Options
    WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can highly recommend the RevelatiOn of the Daleks and Vengeqnce on Varos
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,666
    Forum Member
    One thing I love about the way he writes in e-mail is that it comes across exactly how he talks, don't you think?

I've definitely felt that when I read how he described Mark Gatiss (I think it was in chapter 2, I'm in chapter 3 now... I've read the passage about Outpost Gallifrey :D ).
    I got the first edition last year, and have ordered the new one (which STILL hasn't been dispatched by Waterstones - BARROWMAN!!!!! *shakes fist*)

Guess what ? I got two ! Actually, I don't know how I did it, but I think I ordered one on Amazon.co.uk and another one on Amazon.fr. The British one was shipped and I got it last week. I've just received the French one. But my credit card was debited twice ! So I have to return the French one, now...
    I will bring in a flute!!!!!!:D

I have a guitar. I play terribly though but I'm not too bad at singing. Except that I have a sore throat so I might sound like Janis Joplin ;)

All my life, and I stress the point, all my life I've wanted to have glasses ! It's kind of stupid but I've always wanted to have glasses because it's the iconic symbol of nerdy and intellectual types and I've always wanted to advertise (but with glasses only, mind) who I am.
    Except that I've got amazing eyes who never faltered whatever I put them through. So now I'm waiting for my 40th birthday when my sight will begin to fail ;)
    But a few years back I've been offered fake glasses (you know, real glasses, but with no eye correcting), like the Doctor ! But I don't wear them because everyone knows they're fake, so it's not funny !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,666
    Forum Member
    Just had a thought- will this thread get put on trial at some point by potential future rgeneration? :D

I've abstain so far about any comment regarding the clothes this thread is wearing, but if you start talking about Trial of a Time Lord, then I may slide in a sneaky remark about brightly coloured coats ;)
  • Options
    Tigger-RooTigger-Roo Posts: 10,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

*sniffs*

Aww bless his heart, I am developing a certain fondness for Five.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

right!! sooooo much to catch up on!

back to the topic!

first and foremost

CRAZZY'S HERE!!!!

Glad your eyes are better Weedle. :)

We have a Tardis moneybox here too. It's sitting on our table. Too delicate to put money in though. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't get that. :confused:
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or, since it's very early in the thread will it start trying to kill the thread next to it? :p
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

good point

almost definately for crimes against patchwwork quilts:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's an American mystery writer, Sue Grafton, whose books are titled "A" Is for Alibi, "B" Is for Burglar, "C" Is for Corpse, etc.

She's up to "U" now. I've always wondered what she'll do if she changes her mind about ending the series with "Z"

As for us, we could always use the names of actors who were "definitely" going to be the Doctor according to the tabloids and keep going forever.

I've read all those. They are really good. The way we write we will have to work out where we go after Matt.
    One leaves and learns. I didn't know all those things about ketchup ;)

I am currently reading chapter 2. I left it when RTD had just imagined the meeting scene in Partners in Crime. I had a big smile on my face.
    Penny would have been interesting, but I'm glad CT said yes and we didn't have another love story between the Doctor and his companion.
    I've been really interested in RTD's religious opinion, and I'll have to rewatch Gridlock bearing that in mind. Maybe I'll manage to connect more with the episode, but I'm really not sure of it.
    Most of all, I've loved all his complaining and kind of self-loathing : I don't want to make an abusive generalization but it seems that TV writers are just the same than literature writers ;) All twisted inside, and full of inertia and creative lightnings, and self-loathing, and huge egos, all and their contrary. I don't do psychology and I'd never apply psychology to a literary work (that would be blasphemy to me) but I'm sure it's because of those twists in themselves that they can create.

I find it totally addictive. He is very boyish in the way he describes things. I love finding out things about the other programmes as well. Watched Mine all Mine not long ago and now thinking I need to watch Queer as Folk and Bob and Rose again but I've only got QAF on video and B&R not at all. I remember really disliking Stuart but liking Vince - now I think I need to re-assess.
    I like the sudden changes he cpomes up with as in Torchwood and later on you find there is a big one.
    Originally reading the scripts it was going to be Donna and Dad, Geoff not Donna and Wilf looking at the stars. I didn't know that. So no continuation of Bernard Cribbens

I really like the insights into writing and how he has to balance writing over other people's scripts and changing them. Also his way of dealing with structure which is basically to have a beginning, middle and end whereas modern writers come up with fancy names for things. I could go on .......
    Cool ! Do we all bring music instruments tomorrow ? ;)
    Glad your eyes are better Weedle. :)

We have a Tardis moneybox here too. It's sitting on our table. Too delicate to put money in though. :D

Pleased to hear about the eyes Weedle. Missed the quote but I think it was Solamenn about wanting glasses - strangely I always did too. Now I probably need them as I've got more long sighted but haven't got round to it yet.

Oh well back to work
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tigger: Oh, Trial of a Timelord. Don't think I've seen that.

Muttley: Lucky you!

:o:D
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tumpy wrote: »
    Originally reading the scripts it was going to be Donna and Dad, Geoff not Donna and Wilf looking at the stars. I didn't know that. So no continuation of Bernard Cribbens

That scene was filmed and you can see it in the extras in the Series 4 boxset. :)
  • Options
    WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That scene was filmed and you can see it in the extras in the Series 4 boxset. :)

You can see it here:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6xGF5wFRZM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    WelshNige wrote: »

Thanks I didn't know that.

Oh wow to watch that was amazing. I don't know why I didn't see it on the extras. After only reading it this morning it brought a tear to my eye. It is great to see the scene as written played by these two, and it's very poignant.

Sorry unless you've read the spoiler you will have no idea what I'm talking about.
  • Options
    Eowyn WEowyn W Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member
    It's totally daft but thoroughly enjoyable. :D

We then petition SM to kill off MS. Or we start on the companions I think.

Hurray for Tiggs being the OP again! :)
    I'm totally confused then. What's the link between Colin Baker and ketchup ? Am I missing a great pun that'll sound lame once you've explained it or is it some kind of reference I don't know about, like Colin Baker did ads for Heinz ketchup bottles ?

THE Colin Baker, may ketchup be upon him! :)
    One leaves and learns. I didn't know all those things about ketchup ;)

Most of all, I've loved all his complaining and kind of self-loathing : I don't want to make an abusive generalization but it seems that TV writers are just the same than literature writers All twisted inside, and full of inertia and creative lightnings, and self-loathing, and huge egos, all and their contrary. I don't do psychology and I'd never apply psychology to a literary work (that would be blasphemy to me) but I'm sure it's because of those twists in themselves that they can create.

Yes, RTD seems a real mixture as far as his self-belief goes - sometimes he seems to be very confident that what he is doing is good, yet at other times he does indeed seem very full of self-loathing - I reckon his boyfriend is probably a very patient man! I'm really enjoying hearing about his thought processes and reading about the ideas that never came to pass.

*sniffs*

Don't you worry Muttley - I'll never forget Part Davison either and we can always remember that Part Davison is where we saw out the end of Ten's tenure.
    I totally agree, I love the bit where he describes how Penny now just walks past the blue box and never meets the doctor.....but yet not sure that I agree with the view that Ten would have been ready for another love interest post series 3.

And yes the description of what became one of the most memorable scenes on all of DW is brilliant to read as well.

Oh, the part about Penny walking past - we never really got to know her, yet I felt so melancholic about that... :(
    whooo hoooo a nice clean thread

right!! sooooo much to catch up on!

So glad the eyes are better. :)

We better take notes - we might be called as witnesses.
    Or, since it's very early in the thread will it start trying to kill the thread next to it? :p

Hmm... Depends... Which thread are we next to at the moment..? :D

Off to see how part PD ended.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tigger: Oh, Trial of a Timelord. Don't think I've seen that.

Muttley: Lucky you!

:o:D

Lol! I'll put that on my list of things to do when I'm really bored. :D
  • Options
    SheMoore19SheMoore19 Posts: 2,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello Everyone. :D

I've been AWOL for a bit because I ended up in the hospital again. I've had epilepsy for years and it has raised it's ugly head again. Had tests and stuff. I'm still not myself so that's why I've not been around. Pounding headache being the worst thing. :(

I came home to discover that my dvd player was broken. :( The one I watch most of my DW on too!!!

However, good news!! I've replaced it with a blu-ray player. :D Yay!

Congratulations to CHJ on a the expected little girl janitor. :)

Glad to hear your eyes are a lot better Weedle. I can sympathise after having impaired vision last year for a while. I hope you continue to get better. :)

Nice to see Crazzy posting again. :)

I've loved reading your excerpts and observations on 'The Writer's Tale'. As you know I got the old version for my birthday so I've read up to the end of s4. It's fantastic and fascinating.

What RTD says about
    the forums (citing GB) made me think about some of the posts on this place lately and wonder how they can be so unkind. They don't have to like everything but the personal stuff must hurt.

I'm quite behind now with watching / listening to stuff, but I will get organised soon, I'm sure. :rolleyes:

eta: Happy new thread everyone. *raises glass*
This discussion has been closed.