Options

Real life mysteries that have intrigued and baffled you

Comments

• Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Just as an aside, anyone believe the world will end in 2012 as per the Mayans?

The Mayans had a calendar which worked on a cycle, divided into 13 "ba'ktuns" lasting 144,000 days each.
    13 is also zero on the calendar, and at 11:11am Universal Time (whatever that means), on 21st December 2012, the 13th bat'kun will end. All this means, though, is the calendar starts all over again. Incidentally, the Mayans thought this would lead to a renewal of sorts, but that's it.

However, there is inscribed on a Mayan ruin a prophesy about a god of death, war and destruction (called Bolon Yookte K'hu) descending to Earth, leading an army of demons from the underworld, onto a world which has been shrouded in darkness ready for an almighty war at the end of time itself.

And guess which of those two explanations the conspiracy nuts have latched onto?
  • Options
    BZRBZR Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I myself experienced a time slip, ive posted on here about it before. It was very odd but not spooky as you'd expect, just odd and I found myself trying to rationalise it for ages afterwards. But I know what I saw.

can you link us back to the post? or write it here please i find them very interesting :)
  • Options
    jazzyjackjazzyjack Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can remember watching a lot of Sky news at the time, because I have relatives who live near Soham and so took an interest in the case and so many times when there would be live reports from there Ian Huntley would be there hanging around in the background, he wouldn't even try and hide either.

There's another mystery for you. Whatever happened to Maxine Carr? You dont hear about her at all anymore. I know her name and appearance was changed. I remember hearing at one time that she was living in a monastry and had discovered god, and another time that someone recognised her in a supermarket.

Well, I'm no expert, but I distinctly remember saying, 'I'd be having a word with that caretaker if I were them....'. He showed an unhealthy interest from the beginning, but never really seemed to be doing anything about it other than popping up in interviews. Really gave himself away.

As for Maxine Carr, at least one person has been mistaken for her and been beaten up then had to publicly proclaim that they are not her. I imagine she's living a normal, unremarkable life in a place where people just blend into the background.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BZR wrote: »
    can you link us back to the post? or write it here please i find them very interesting :)

I would like to read that too please :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mayans had a calendar which worked on a cycle, divided into 13 "ba'ktuns" lasting 144,000 days each.
    13 is also zero on the calendar, and at 11:11am Universal Time (whatever that means), on 21st December 2012, the 13th bat'kun will end. All this means, though, is the calendar starts all over again. Incidentally, the Mayans thought this would lead to a renewal of sorts, but that's it.

However, there is inscribed on a Mayan ruin a prophesy about a god of death, war and destruction (called Bolon Yookte K'hu) descending to Earth, leading an army of demons from the underworld, onto a world which has been shrouded in darkness ready for an almighty war at the end of time itself.

And guess which of those two explanations the conspiracy nuts have latched onto?

Mmmm...I wonder. :D
    jazzyjack wrote: »
    Well, I'm no expert, but I distinctly remember saying, 'I'd be having a word with that caretaker if I were them....'. He showed an unhealthy interest from the beginning, but never really seemed to be doing anything about it other than popping up in interviews. Really gave himself away.

As for Maxine Carr, at least one person has been mistaken for her and been beaten up then had to publicly proclaim that they are not her. I imagine she's living a normal, unremarkable life in a place where people just blend into the background.

I do remember this case, mostly the first part where they were still looking for the girls and hoping to find them alive. I was away at the time visiting a friend in Portsmouth, and I clearly remember leaving the news in the morning for a trip to the Isle of Wight and coming back in the evening to the news that they had been found dead. :(

It was one of those that stuck in my memory because there was real hope for a time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mmmm...I wonder. :D

I do remember this case, mostly the first part where they were still looking for the girls and hoping to find them alive. I was away at the time visiting a friend in Portsmouth, and I clearly remember leaving the news in the morning for a trip to the Isle of Wight and coming back in the evening to the news that they had been found dead. :(

It was one of those that stuck in my memory because there was real hope for a time.

I found the link to the list of unsolved murders on Wiki that someone posted interesting ( In an :eek: kind of way). I wonder how many of the ones from 1960 onwards will turn out to be Peter Tobin? I strongly suspect that he is Bible John (as others have mentioned), but I imagine there's quite a few on that list attributable to him. It's great that the police have launched a massive investigation into his past.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BZR wrote: »

It happened while I was in York, which is a spooky place anyway. We went to this old building called the merchants house and whilst my mum was paying I wandered into this other room that had lots of pictures of the minster on the walls.

I was a little confused when I saw what appeared to be a pool or river in there. It was filled with very still water that was reflecting the oak pannels above it. The whole atmosphere felt very weird and dream like as well.

A couple of moments later it vanished and in its place was a stair case going down, with brick walls, no oak pannels and a window that hadn't been there previousley. I was stunned and have been wondering about it ever since.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A poster wanted to know earlier -
    "who was the man that never was?"

Operation Mincemeat was a disinformation plan during WWII to float a dead body of a British officer ashore in the Med with some scant details buried among all his other papers pointing to a fake invasion...and made famous in the B&W war film "The Man Who Never Was". But was to where the cadaver was actually sourced from - from the Wiki entry -
    With the help of the renowned pathologist Sir Bernard Spilsbury, Montagu and his team determined what kind of body they needed: a man who appeared to have died at sea by hypothermia and drowning, and then floated ashore after several days. However, finding a usable body seemed almost impossible, as indiscreet inquiries would cause talk, and it was impossible to tell a dead man's next of kin what the body was wanted for. Under quiet pressure, Bentley Purchase, coroner of St. Pancras District in London, obtained the body of a 34-year old Welsh man named Glyndwr Michael, on the condition that the man's real identity would never be revealed. The man had died after ingesting rat poison which contained phosphorus. Phosphide reacts with the acid in the digestive system to generate the toxic gas phosphine. Coroner Purchase explained, “This dose was not sufficient to kill him outright, and its only effect was so to impair the functioning of the liver that he died a little time afterwards”, leaving few clues to the cause of death. Montagu later claimed the man died from pneumonia, that the family had been contacted and permission obtained, but none of this was true. The dead man's parents had died and no known relatives were found
    I don't know if it has been mentioned or not but the mystery of the universe and the beginning of life and how we came into beginning is the only mystery that intrigues and baffles me

I can reliably say " a wee lad done it an' run away...."

As for Maxine Carr...
    I remember hearing at one time that she was living in a monastry

She'll be a happy girl then! Perhaps the poster meant a convent...
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I myself experienced a time slip, ive posted on here about it before. It was very odd but not spooky as you'd expect, just odd and I found myself trying to rationalise it for ages afterwards. But I know what I saw.

Time slips - Strange but True?

What an awesome programme that was back in the day.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It happened while I was in York, which is a spooky place anyway. We went to this old building called the merchants house and whilst my mum was paying I wandered into this other room that had lots of pictures of the minster on the walls.

I was a little confused when I saw what appeared to be a pool or river in there. It was filled with very still water that was reflecting the oak pannels above it. The whole atmosphere felt very weird and dream like as well.

A couple of moments later it vanished and in its place was a stair case going down, with brick walls, no oak pannels and a window that hadn't been there previousley. I was stunned and have been wondering about it ever since.

Fascinating. Some people think that could be an explanation for certain ghost sightings. Not actually seeing dead people, but glimpsing into another time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A poster wanted to know earlier -

Operation Mincemeat was a disinformation plan during WWII to float a dead body of a British officer ashore in the Med with some scant details buried among all his other papers pointing to a fake invasion...and made famous in the B&W war film "The Man Who Never Was". But was to where the cadaver was actually sourced from - from the Wiki entry -

I can reliably say " a wee lad done it an' run away...."

As for Maxine Carr...

She'll be a happy girl then! Perhaps the poster meant a convent...

ROFL :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fascinating. Some people think that could be an explanation for certain ghost sightings. Not actually seeing dead people, but glimpsing into another time.

Thats what it felt like I was doing. I was seeing something that used to be there. The building was very old and made from timber.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talking of timeslips, I remember seeing an article in my brothers old "Unexplained" magazine about a family who had been driving along a quiet motorway (oxymoron these days of course, but this was back in the 70's) and coming the other way had been what they said was a super-futuristic looking vehicle which, IIRC, appeared to have no one driving it, just passengers. Its was silver and sleek. They noticed that all the people in the futuristic car appeared to be starting at them open mouthed as they went by - as if they were just as amazed at what they were seeing.

That always stuck in my mind for some reason.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jon8769 wrote: »
    Talking of timeslips, I remember seeing an article in my brothers old "Unexplained" magazine about a family who had been driving along a quiet motorway (oxymoron these days of course, but this was back in the 70's) and coming the other way had been what they said was a super-futuristic looking vehicle which, IIRC, appeared to have no one driving it, just passengers. Its was silver and sleek. They noticed that all the people in the futuristic car appeared to be starting at them open mouthed as they went by - as if they were just as amazed at what they were seeing.

That reminds me of a story I heard somewhere, can't remember where now, of the man who was driving round a roundabout, missed the turning so had to go round again, and saw himself drive out onto the roundabout and go round, but take a different exit to the one he was due to. Ended up following himself for a few seconds.
    Sorry, a bit convoluted.
    Anyone else hear that one? Apparently he was so freaked out by it, because the car was same make, same colour, same reg no and the bloke driving looked exactly like him. He convinced himself he had seen himself briefly in one of those "alternate universes" people talk about!
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Mallory and Irvine make it to the top of Everest in 1924?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Mallory

Mallory's body was found in 1999 - saw a TV programme about it.

If they ever find his camera it could prove whether he summited. There is some evdience to suggest the stubmled on the way down. The camera's undeveloped film could still be viable, given where it has been for 90 years... So it;s one mystery that may well one day be answered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's what I believe 'ghosts' are too. It is certainly fascinating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jon8769 wrote: »

I sometimes pick up Unexplained magazine myself. Dont remember reading this story though, how odd.

Something I do remember was reading about a woman who came home from work one lunchtime with a friend and they both saw a newsflash showing a chemical plant near their home on fire. They didnt think anymore about it until later on when they saw it on the evening news, but to their shock it had happened later in the afternoon, after they had both seen the "newsflash". This had also happened during the 70's.

Very spooky.. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Did Mallory and Irvine make it to the top of Everest in 1924?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Mallory

Mallory's body was found in 1999 - saw a TV programme about it.

If they ever find his camera it could prove whether he summited. There is some evdience to suggest the stubmled on the way down. The camera's undeveloped film could still be viable, given where it has been for 90 years... So it;s one mystery that may well one day be answered.

They could still find it. Remember the WWII plane found at the bottom of a glacier in, I think, the Andes? The flight had mysteriously disappared at the time and it was only when the wreckage was found 50 years later that the mystery was solved.

Here is the story about it. The plane was called "The Star Dust":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Dust_(aircraft)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'the veil 'with boris karloff is a good watch for true stories and supernatural goings on its a bit old but worth a watch!
  • Options
    shoulderduffshoulderduff Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That reminds me of a story I heard somewhere, can't remember where now, of the man who was driving round a roundabout, missed the turning so had to go round again, and saw himself drive out onto the roundabout and go round, but take a different exit to the one he was due to. Ended up following himself for a few seconds.
    Sorry, a bit convoluted.
    Anyone else hear that one? Apparently he was so freaked out by it, because the car was same make, same colour, same reg no and the bloke driving looked exactly like him. He convinced himself he had seen himself briefly in one of those "alternate universes" people talk about!

I seem to remember that story from a while back.
    Another one that always fasinated me was the Barney and Betty Hill story

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barney_and_Betty_Hill

that is weird.
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've always thought that. Ghosts are just different time dimensions coming close together then drifting again...it's as good an explanation as any.

I was up all night last night reading those unsolved murder links. I don't advise it. Freaked me right out.:eek:
  • Options
    Robert RomarinRobert Romarin Posts: 11,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Several years ago, a licensed and competent pilot called Carolyn Cascio (or in some accounts Helen Cascio) was ferrying a passenger to Grand Turk, Bahamas, in her Cessna 172 aircraft. The weather was clear, and two airport employees standing near the runway watched as the plane approached the airport. As there was no communication from Carolyn Cascio's plane, the tower tried to contact her, saying, "Cessna aircraft, this is Grand Turk. Please identify yourself."

There was no answer.

The airport manager and his assistant went outside and stared in bewilderment at the Cessna as it circled directly above the airport in a holding pattern. Why would the pilot not answer? Why was she not attempting to land? Again and again the controller tried to make contact: "This is Grand Turk calling the Cessna overhead. Do you read me?"

What happened next was both bizarre and chilling.

Carolyn Cascio had apparently left her microphone keyed in the open position, thus enabling airport control to hear the conversation between the pilot and her passenger. What follows is an extract from that dialogue.

Cascio: "I don't understand this. I must have made a wrong turn. This should be Grand Turk, but there's nothing down there, no airport, no houses."
    Passenger: "Right."
    Cascio: "It's the right place on the map, and the shape is right and all, but this island looks uninhabited.
    "Look, no buildings, no roads, nothing. It has to be Grand Turk, but it's not there.
    "It looks like Grand Turk but it just can't be."

At this point, airport control knew that something was seriously wrong. Cascio was flying directly above the airport in clear conditions but apparently could not see it. Desperately they tried to contact her over the radio, but to no avail. After half an hour of circling, the airport picked up Cascio's last, chilling words.

"Is there no way out of this?" she said, before apparently making a decision to fly to another island.

In bewilderment the entire airport staff watched as she banked sharply to the left and flew out across the sea. The aircraft flew into a low-lying cloudbank, but did not come out the other side.

Neither Cascio, her passenger nor the aircraft were ever seen again.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/CustomPages/CustomPage.aspx?PageID=32753&sectionID=6150
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always thought that. Ghosts are just different time dimensions coming close together then drifting again...it's as good an explanation as any.

Yes, like this, for example.

You never know, someone in the future might view us rattling around our houses, whilst we are oblivious they are scared witless. :eek: :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sometimes pick up Unexplained magazine myself. Dont remember reading this story though, how odd.

Something I do remember was reading about a woman who came home from work one lunchtime with a friend and they both saw a newsflash showing a chemical plant near their home on fire. They didnt think anymore about it until later on when they saw it on the evening news, but to their shock it had happened later in the afternoon, after they had both seen the "newsflash". This had also happened during the 70's.

Very spooky.. :eek:

This was an old Unexplained magazine (one of those "buy every week for the rest of your life" ones that came with free binder in issue 1). Late 70's/early 80's. So probably a different one as I'm going back a bit!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, like this, for example.

You never know, someone in the future might view us rattling around our houses, whilst we are oblivious they are scared witless. :eek: :D

I love that thought!!

*goes off to rattle some chains*