Options

Ugh, Ricky Gervais

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just read his recent articles on here, I hope he comes crashing down soon. He's never been funny, he's big headed and obnoxious, and needs to pull his head out of the arse me the US of A. I remember reading years back that he had the audacity to single out Simon Pegg as not doing anything to help the UK tv/film industry. Before I get the response from Gervais fans that i'm just jealous, there's nothing to be jealous about. This is an honest opinion.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sepmix wrote: »
    Just read his recent articles on here, I hope he comes crashing down soon. He's never been funny, he's big headed and obnoxious, and needs to pull his head out of the arse me the US of A. I remember reading years back that he had the audacity to single out Simon Pegg as not doing anything to help the UK tv/film industry. Before I get the response from Gervais fans that i'm just jealous, there's nothing to be jealous about. This is an honest opinion.

Doesn't it drive you mad that you can't have an opinion without being branded as being Jealous.
    As for Ricky G, I loved The Office, Him personally I can take or leave.
  • Options
    LittleChickenLittleChicken Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    The few episodes of Extras that I saw were quite funny, but The Office left me cold. As to Mr Gervais himself, he's a smug git, who's trying his best to lick US ar*e. Hope he succeeds and stays there. :p

And Gervais fans, please don't tell me that I 'don't get him'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't stand Gervais. He nearly ruined Stardust for me - an otherwise perfect and beautiful film.

He comes across as really unlikeable to me for some reason. Something about him just makes my skin crawl.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel this way about a lot of stars. I can absolutely love the shows they are in, but as real people I find them very off putting. Ricky is one of those, I loved The Office, and Extras. I even quite enjoyed Ghost Town, but he is just very annoying.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love The Office and Extras - genius - but think he's kind of rubbish in films and should stick to what he's good at.

I like him, he makes me laugh even when he's being completely obnoxious.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    I didn't really get The Office, not my sort of comedy. But I liked Extras. As for Ricky himself, he's alright, I don't dislike him, I find him amusing at times (in interviews etc) but have never found his stand up shows that funny (watched two on DVD).
  • Options
    i_am_a_gremlini_am_a_gremlin Posts: 3,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Totally totally totally agree with you...he is an overated unfunny stupid little man with a huge ego
  • Options
    sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ricky Gervais suffers from the great disease.

Britsh + Globaly successfull + Talented = Hated

For me personly I think he is great.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starsburn wrote: »
    I can't stand Gervais. He nearly ruined Stardust for me - an otherwise perfect and beautiful film.

He comes across as really unlikeable to me for some reason. Something about him just makes my skin crawl.

Wanted to see Stardust until I heard he was in it.
    suffice to say I tolerated it, and he dies in it at least.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    his last films flopped in america lol!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sensoria wrote: »

Actually I hated him when he was just plain "Britsh" (as you put it), I've not yet noticed him being talented.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wanted to see Stardust until I heard he was in it.
    suffice to say I tolerated it, and he dies in it at least.

Stardust is a gorgeous piece of cinema - do see it. The rest of it is so good it makes up for the Gervais aspect. It's a real shame he had to be in the film at all, though. He just plays the same character in every single bloody thing. It's so tiresome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not for me. For me he suffers from the great disease Big Headed Twattism. I don't care that he's British. I don't care that he's globally successful. I don't think he's particularly talented, either, so I don't care about that at all.
  • Options
    sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I hated him when he was just plain "Britsh" (as you put it), I've not yet noticed him being talented.

Thats fair enough, I think it is hard to say he isn't talented, The Office was a landmark piece of television, As was extras.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he's a bit of a wally, but generally I avoid him where possible.

I don't personally like The Office, Extras or any of his movies. To me he just seems to act the same - i.e. himself - in everything he's in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His appearance in the simpsons sums it up for me. When Homer says.

"You take forever to say nothing" :D

Unfunny man.
  • Options
    pierre_gustavepierre_gustave Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His stand-up comedy is particularly rotten. :(
    He's funnier than Sarah Millican though.
  • Options
    chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    I think Ricky Gervais is still as hilarious as ever :D

What I personally don't get, is how so many people have turned on him. I don't like this idea that the British like to build someone up, only to knock them down. I just think it's to do with his over-exposure, and the fact that he's done so well in the US which has given him even more over-exposure here and there.

I still listen to his Guardian Podcasts in my car, and swerve all over the roads because I'm laughing so hard :p
  • Options
    technoguytechnoguy Posts: 2,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is so true, In Britain we love losers and will not tolerate a winner.

Its one of things that I find embarrassing about this country.
    I remember reading years back that he had the audacity to single out Simon Pegg as not doing anything to help the UK tv/film industry.
    Well you remembered it wrong. That never actually happened. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    technoguy wrote: »
    This is so true, In Britain we love losers and will not tolerate a winner.

Its one of things that I find embarrassing about this country.

I very rarely hear a bad word about Helen Mirren, or Hugh Laurie, or Julie Andrews, or Sean Bean, or Kate Beckinsale, or Orlando Bloom, or Michael Caine, or Paul McCartney, or Simon Cowell, or Dominic Monaghan. Sure, these people have their detractors, but nothing on the scale of Gervais. They're all very well known worldwide and they don't pull the negative publicity he does. There must be some other reason than "we hate a successful British person".

There are plenty of very successful British stars, internationally known and very popular around the world, yet very few of them get the kind of negative reactions that Ricky Gervais does, and it's probably not because they aren't as successful as him as in my opinion most of them are at least equal to, and in many cases more well known, than he is.

It's not always about "jealousy" or "Britain hating a winner and loving losers". Sometimes we just don't like people because of the person, nothing more and nothing less. It's very arrogant to assume that every time a successful British star is disliked by so many that it's simply jealousy or the need to bring them down a peg or two.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the best stars know how to polarize an audience. Better to be talked about than not at all.
  • Options
    BritishHoboBritishHobo Posts: 2,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not going to be one of those people that criticizes people for their opinions, because they're entitled to them. But this is how I see it: everyone I've met who hates him and thinks he's smug are ones that haven't listened to the radio shows he did with Steve Merchant and Karl Pilkington. Back when I didn't know much of him, I thought he was a smug git too, because that's how he comes across in interviews. But I think that's just a persona he's come up with.

But after listening to the radio shows, where he's just a normal guy, and not smug or boasting or arse-licking any film companies, I absolutely love him, and he's my favourite comedian.

Also, I do agree with the point that the British (press especially) love to knock down celebrities. It's the press that build them up, then it's the press that follow them around after they're famous, publishing out of context quotes and pictures to make them look awful. I hate the press.
  • Options
    ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant stand Gervais. I found his presenting stint the other week embarassing. It was like watching a wedding where a bad best man give a not funny speech and everyone wishing he would just sit down.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zmiler7 wrote: »
    His appearance in the simpsons sums it up for me. When Homer says.

"You take forever to say nothing" :D

Unfunny man.

Do you not know that Gervais wrote the script!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    He's actually mates with Simon Pegg soooo...