Options

Real life mysteries that have intrigued and baffled you

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sergio2006 wrote: »
    Nobody know anything about the gable film then?

if you have never heard of it please look it up. Id love to hear other peoples opinions on it.

I watched it - the bit with the "creature" running towards the camera. Seems to look like a bear. However the running (that you can see) does seem more dog like. Trouble is it all very shaky and unclear. The mouth at the end is a bit... hmm too much. Its all very Blair Witch (that immediately sprang to mind as I watched it). I know there is a lot of "mythology" about the film how it was found in a junk sale etc etc etc. But my gut feeling is that I'm not convinced its not something just made to go round the net. Wasn't there a face in the wing mirror of the second half of the film (which I haven't seen). Surely someone out there would know who these people are?

Why is it any "mysterious" footage of strange creatures is always shaky and unclear!, that's what I want to know. I want sharply focussed, full colour, HD steady cam mystery creatures!!
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sinitta's real age! :D

I haven't read through 18 pages to see if someone already offered that one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/B]

:) yes it was a horrid scary time in a lot of ways. If I am being totally honest though, it was also exciting. I was very young back then and feared nowt.

I also made a hell of a lot of money (as did a lot of coppers) :o:o because every time I was on nights which was one week out of four, I did what was called "pro obs", ie the covering of the red light area, and we worked 12 hr shifts for 7 nights instead of the usual 8hr shifts so that was 28 hours overtime for that one week.

I can remember the total elation though when he was arrested, even though it was by another force (South Yorks) and purely by luck.

Whoever posted earlier about the inadequacies of the police enquiry was absolutely right. Dreadful errors of judgement were made high up and were not questioned - well they were, but officers were demoted for questioning things.

I imagine the pressure was tremendous, especially for those in charge when the murders kept happening. I watched one or two drama's that were made about that whole time when I was younger, but of course for obvious reasons they are not reliable sources of information!

I think things always get "politicised" when they are as big as this case is, and often you can't see the wood for the trees. Another case we have previously been discussing has the same problem! :)

I like that you say you were young enough not to be too afraid - funny, isnt it, how the younger we are the more immortal we feel!
    jon8769 wrote: »
    I watched it - the bit with the "creature" running towards the camera. Seems to look like a bear. However the running (that you can see) does seem more dog like. Trouble is it all very shaky and unclear. The mouth at the end is a bit... hmm too much. Its all very Blair Witch (that immediately sprang to mind as I watched it). I know there is a lot of "mythology" about the film how it was found in a junk sale etc etc etc. But my gut feeling is that I'm not convinced its not something just made to go round the net. Wasn't there a face in the wing mirror of the second half of the film (which I haven't seen). Surely someone out there would know who these people are?

Why is it any "mysterious" footage of strange creatures is always shaky and unclear!, that's what I want to know. I want sharply focussed, full colour, HD steady cam mystery creatures!!

I havent seen it - do you know where I could get a look?

As for the bit I have bolded - not so many of these "real life films" appearing these days are there? Could it possibly be that technology no longer allows "shaky" cam unless you really are doing it on purpose! :D
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    Sinitta's real age! :D

I haven't read through 18 pages to see if someone already offered that one.

I have this theory that actually she is 324 years old and counting. She either has a picture in her attic, or is simply immortal. :)
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »
    Did Robin Hood exist if so how did evade capture for so long, and if existed where is his grave:confused:
    There's an article about Robin Hood in this month's Fortean Times. Haven't read it, yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    There's an article about Robin Hood in this month's Fortean Times. Haven't read it, yet.

Ooh, well, let us know if its good. I havent bought Fortean times yet this month - I don't buy it every month, only when the mood takes me.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Ooh, well, let us know if its good. I havent bought Fortean times yet this month - I don't buy it every month, only when the mood takes me.
    Will do!
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All of the prostitutes and most of the local punters knew we were the police but yup I agree, it was madness. We used to give a double click on our radio buttons if we were approached by a punter and, to be fair, mobile back up would arrive extremely quickly but it was bloody scary none the less!

:(:( yes I was working nights the night Barbara Leach's body was found. It was found in the area covered by Bradford Central and I worked out of the centre but my Inspector heard the reports of the body being found and said it would be excellent experience for me and another "newbie" to see it. There weren't many murders back then. I'll never forget it.

Loving the mysteries on here!!!!

You are a damn sight braver than me, Shorty - I wouldn't have stayed there on my own. I suppose you all learn to trust each other to come quickly though.

Seeing the body must have been shocking - I'm not surprised you'll never forget it.

What do you think of the theory that Sutcliffe wasn't responsible for all the murders? I have to say I've never heard of this before I started following ths thread.

I agree this thread is excellent - it's the main reason I haven't done any work for 3 days :o:D
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u48yKz5733s&feature=related

The clip is pretty spooky. Crypto zoology has always fascinated me even though most of it is bunk.
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good wheeze, and really well done ( the chewed up, bloody corpse looks very realistic ) but it's eminently possible to video shoot it with period cars and clothes, then computer process the VT to give it that shaky, scratchy, vintage super 8mm cine look.

Having said that, the animal DOES'NT look like a bloke in a ape suit and it does move with the authentic gait and power of a large predator......so I don't know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fascinating! And a bit scary.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good wheeze, and really well done ( the chewed up, bloody corpse looks very realistic ) but it's eminently possible to video shoot it with period cars and clothes, then computer process the VT to give it that shaky, scratchy, vintage super 8mm cine look.

Having said that, the animal DOES'NT look like a bloke in a ape suit and it does move with the authentic gait and power of a large predator......so I don't know.

I can't help but think that in this day and age that if Bigfoot existed they would have been spotted by a lot more people by now. Also, if they are so rare I'm surprised that their species hasn't died out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't help but think that in this day and age that if Bigfoot existed they would have been spotted by a lot more people by now. Also, if they are so rare I'm surprised that their species hasn't died out.

Thats true actually.

And how come with all these sorts of things no-one EVER manages to get a decent photo! :D
  • Options
    shoulderduffshoulderduff Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are vast areas of wilderness still undiscovered.They even, if they exist, not be as rare as though.
    In the U.K these creatures claim to have been sighted. Bolam Lake Country Park in Northumberland is maybe the best known and around 15 years ago there were local rumours of creatures in forests near Longridge Fell in Lancashire.
    You can read more in the link below

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/articles/british_bigfoot.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are vast areas of wilderness still undiscovered.They even, if they exist, not be as rare as though.
    In the U.K these creatures claim to have been sighted. Bolam Lake Country Park in Northumberland is maybe the best known and around 15 years ago there were local rumours of creatures in forests near Longridge Fell in Lancashire.

How about the tale of "spring heeled Jack" when footprints appeared in the snow travelling for miles across fields and over people's rooftops!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Heeled_Jack
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about the tale of "spring heeled Jack" when footprints appeared in the snow travelling for miles across fields and over people's rooftops!

Interesting.

Is there any reason why theres a need for whoever/whatever it is to walk on the roof? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Interesting.

Is there any reason why theres a need for whoever/whatever it is to walk on the roof? :D

A night in the tavern, probably! ;):D
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That reminded me of this, the Devil's footprints.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A night in the tavern, probably! ;):D

:D *giggle*

Ooh..interesting.

Maybe it was just a really impressive horse!
  • Options
    shoulderduffshoulderduff Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Following on from the Bigfoot/ Sasquatch stories what do you make of this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsi9OmaMJ0
  • Options
    sergio2006sergio2006 Posts: 3,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When I first came across the gable film i read into a bit and a common thought was that the creature seems very similar to a gorilla, and when you see the way it moves it is certainly very gorilla like. The scary thing is I dont see how the film could be fake, that thing is huge and moves extremely quickly, I dont see how it could have been staged.

Well there are thousands of sightings every year, they are not that often publicised unless there is a picture, but in certain areas of USA and Canada sightings and footprints are pretty common.

Thats very true, some of the forests of america and canada are so large that a species of ape could quite easily live there and go relatively unnoticed. I remember reading a story in a Bill Bryson book about how a plane when down in a heavily forested area and despite mass searches none of the wreckage was ever found or has been seen since, thats how large some of these areas are.

Im not so sure about the UK to be honest but im fairly convinced these things are real.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think about Hillsborough a lot, don't think that counts as a mystery, but I wonder about the specific chain if events.

There's a very detailed account in the enquiry report, which I think is known as the Taylor report. You can buy it from HMSO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah, thank you - actually, that was what I was thinking of more than spring heeled jack! Those are a bit weird as they went for over 100 miles!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first came across the gable film i read into a bit and a common thought was that the creature seems very similar to a gorilla, and when you see the way it moves it is certainly very gorilla like. The scary thing is I dont see how the film could be fake, that thing is huge and moves extremely quickly, I dont see how it could have been staged.

Well there are thousands of sightings every year, they are not that often publicised unless there is a picture, but in certain areas of USA and Canada sightings and footprints are pretty common.

Thats very true, some of the forests of america and canada are so large that a species of ape could quite easily live there and go relatively unnoticed. I remember reading a story in a Bill Bryson book about how a plane when down in a heavily forested area and despite mass searches none of the wreckage was ever found or has been seen since, thats how large some of these areas are.

Im not so sure about the UK to be honest but im fairly convinced these things are real.

To be honest, if I hear any kind of sound outside my window at night I assume its some kind of monster. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody know anything about the gable film then?

if you have never heard of it please look it up. Id love to hear other peoples opinions on it.
    I checked on youtube they have some clips but as usual it's hard to find the whole thing on YT..do you have a link to somewhere else?
  • Options
    elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread is fascinating! :) (And, truth be told, a little spooky in parts!) :o

I've always wondered why the Nazca Lines were made - for what purpose? And why would you make such giant markings visible only from above if you had no means of flight?: it's bewildering to me.