Options

Lark Rise To Candleford Series 3

Comments

• Options
    mariegriffithsmariegriffiths Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    The character of Mr Remmington is loosely based on Edward Elgar who communicated via ciphers and liked his privacy. he was contemporary to this time period.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorabella_Cipher
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OH No:eek:, I hope VH isn't going to be away for too long:cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I really hope they introduce this lady greyfeather person because she seems to be prominent behind the scenes. This episode was alright, not as good as last week. Dont want to be pesamistic but im not really too excited about next weeks episode, I think the promo maybe said it all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it! :-)
  • Options
    LavandulaLavandula Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    Where was Sydney? Too much to hope that he was away visiting Dad!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Been watching so many scenes where her stomach has been hidden by cutting patterns, manniquins and chairs!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been watching so many scenes where her stomach has been hidden by cutting patterns, manniquins and chairs!

Think so, guess that's why she's taking a break.:)

I have to say after a terrible start I'm really loving this series now:):)
  • Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, after a shaky start to the season this and last week's was really good. Excellent acting from all involved today.

Whatever happened to Little Man today? He seems to have disappeared entirely.

Aha, I wondered if Ruby was was leaving the series, I guess that explains it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever happened to Little Man today? He seems to have disappeared entirely.

Guess he's only allowed to work so many hours.........although young Patience is putting in the hours this series..............but then she's probably twins:D:D
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I loved the first 2 series of this, but I can't get into this series, it's becoming a weekly soap, and characters I liked have disappeared... it's struggling to make characters different but they are re-hashed models of previous departures IMO. Sorry
  • Options
    hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved tonight's episode. I cried more at Ruby going than I did for the whole of last week!
    I think it was because last week I went into it knowing a "minor" character would be gone by the end and they tipped their hand fairly early as to who it was. This week though, I really did not feel that Ruby was going, and I was disappointed for her. :(
    Seeing her try and ensure her sister was surrounded by caring friends for her departure and then losing hope rather than hurt her.
    Finally watching Pearl struggle with her instinctive defensive reaction to Ruby going only to soften and let her go without bad feeling.
    It will be interesting to see if they use this as a chance to develop Pearl more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    mrbernay wrote: »
    I loved the first 2 series of this, but I can't get into this series, it's becoming a weekly soap, and characters I liked have disappeared... it's struggling to make characters different but they are re-hashed models of previous departures IMO. Sorry

I agree. Last week was good but this week was not as good. Dorcus involving herself in everyones busness is grating on me. No Sydney, not even a mention of him. I'll watch till the end of the series but for me this programme is loosing it's sparkle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carkem wrote: »
    I agree. Last week was good but this week was not as good. Dorcus involving herself in everyones busness is grating on me. No Sydney, not even a mention of him. I'll watch till the end of the series but for me this programme is loosing it's sparkle.

Why does Sydney have to appear in every ep?

I like this one as showed more about characters we already knew. I felt the characters were far less 1 dimensional, yes Dorcas stuck her nose in, but we were shown why....

Minnie and the sister was sweet and see more of Ruby etc was good too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    geogchick wrote: »
    Why does Sydney have to appear in every ep?

I like this one as showed more about characters we already knew. I felt the characters were far less 1 dimensional, yes Dorcas stuck her nose in, but we were shown why....

Minnie and the sister was sweet and see more of Ruby etc was good too.

Sydney does'nt have to appear in every episode but a few words to explain his absence would have done, especially after last weeks episode when he was so ill.
    Ofcourse Dorcus always have an excuse to stick her nose in everyones business, it's getting very boring every week.
    Emma behaving like a love sick teenager. Good for you that you liked everything about it, i did not. Are we not allowed to criticise this show now, has ths become an appreciation thread. So i'll say it again, for me this programme is losing it's appeal. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    Sunshine&SolaceSunshine&Solace Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed seeing the wistful side of Emma and hints of the deep love between her and Robert. I think this series is really missing Dorcas having a love interest though, she's the pivotal character and without a strong storyline it does sometimes look like she is just interfering in other people's lives - don't get me wrong though, I love Dorcas!
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was slightly puzzled by the featuring of a gramophone in last night's episode. I was under the impression that LR-C was placed just at the end of the 19thC, whereas AFAIK the gramophone (with discs as against cylinders) didn't come into common use until after WWI. Also the piano quality was almost CD-like rather than that of an early recording (just a tiny bit of scratchiness).
  • Options
    DBCDBC Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    I was slightly puzzled by the featuring of a gramophone in last night's episode. I was under the impression that LR-C was placed just at the end of the 19thC, whereas AFAIK the gramophone (with discs as against cylinders) didn't come into common use until after WWI. Also the piano quality was almost CD-like rather than that of an early recording (just a tiny bit of scratchiness).

It seems you might be correct. According to this Wiki Article, records did not come into popular use untill after 1900:-

This phonograph cylinder dominated the recorded sound market beginning in the 1880s. Lateral-cut disc records were invented by Emile Berliner in 1888 and were used exclusively in toys until 1894, when Berliner began marketing disc records under the Berliner Gramophone label. In an attempt to head off the disc advantage, Edison introduced the Amberol cylinder in 1909, with a maximum playing time of 4½ minutes (at 160 rpm) to be in turn superceeded by the Blue Amberol Record whose playing surface was made of Celluloid, an early plastic which was far less fragile than the earlier wax (in fact it would have been more or less indestructible had it not been for the plaster of paris core). By November 1918 the patents for the manufacture of lateral-cut disc records expired, opening the field for countless companies to produce them, causing disc records to overtake cylinders in popularity.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting to see that the Wiki article on LR-C features a long paragraph on "Anachronisms", so maybe this is just another to add to the list.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this series is really missing Dorcas having a love interest though, she's the pivotal character and without a strong storyline it does sometimes look like she is just interfering in other people's lives - don't get me wrong though, I love Dorcas!
    But for her to have a strong love interest which begins at the start of every series and finishes at the end would just seem ludicrous.

Personally I want Sir Timothy back :D
  • Options
    highfidelityhighfidelity Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    mrbernay wrote: »

Sorry to say I agree. I'm afraid I thought this was the biggest load of cobblers I’ve seen in a while. Where to start? Emma not recognising her husband’s handwriting? Victoria Hamilton’s obvious pregnancy (at least I hope it is) and clumsy plot device to get her character out of the way for a while? Dorcas visiting the hotel terrace for the first time this series with no reference at all to past events? Measles epidemic disappearing down the same black hole as every other inconvenient past event? Mr concert pianist hijacking the fashion show? But the most extraordinary line of the week for me was Dorcas: ‘This empty gossip and rumour-mongering is getting out of hand.’ And her nose didn’t grow an inch!

Angelheart, if you’re still reading, you deserve better than this!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Sorry to say I agree. I'm afraid I thought this was the biggest load of cobblers I’ve seen in a while. Where to start? Emma not recognising her husband’s handwriting? Victoria Hamilton’s obvious pregnancy (at least I hope it is) and clumsy plot device to get her character out of the way for a while? Dorcas visiting the hotel terrace for the first time this series with no reference at all to past events? Measles epidemic disappearing down the same black hole as every other inconvenient past event? Mr concert pianist hijacking the fashion show? But the most extraordinary line of the week for me was Dorcas: ‘This empty gossip and rumour-mongering is getting out of hand.’ And her nose didn’t grow an inch!

Angelheart, if you’re still reading, you deserve better than this!

I'm still reading.. I have to say that I think all your points are valid, apart from the strange Judi Dench comments:confused:
    I did feel though, that for Dorcas to have another love interest in this series would have been too much. I felt she needed time to recover, she is after all a Victorian woman, and I didn't feel it would be appropriate for her to fall in love with the next stranger passing through town. I'm not sure that she 'sticks' her nose into people's business, she was curious about Reppington because his isolation reminded her of her father, and she certainly isn't a gossip, she always tries to find the truth in a situation and help people to sort out their troubles, that is her nature, if she didn't she would literally spend each episode, stuck in the post office licking stamps!:)
  • Options
    Queen MaeveQueen Maeve Posts: 22,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lavandula wrote: »
    Queen Maeve seems to have given up on this thread. Sad, we miss her!

I pop in and look Lavandula, but to be honest I just cann't get into this series at all, shame as it was the highlight of my TV viewing week last year and I loved the banter on here.

To be honest I cann't see a series 4, and if they did have one can they at least tie up a load of loose ends and acknowledge that most viewers do want some degree of continuity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to say I agree. I'm afraid I thought this was the biggest load of cobblers I’ve seen in a while. Where to start? Emma not recognising her husband’s handwriting? Victoria Hamilton’s obvious pregnancy (at least I hope it is) and clumsy plot device to get her character out of the way for a while?

He probably got someone else to write it HF so she didn't click straight away;)

I think Ruby leaving is going to open up a whole new can of worms for Pearl storylines:).How is she going to cope on her own:eek:

Still hope VH comes back tho, she and MZ are a brilliant double act:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Pratt sisters are the better characters on the show for me. I hope Ruby comes back with a husband and baby. I would love some strong storylines for Pearl also.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carkem wrote: »
    Good for you that you liked everything about it, i did not. Are we not allowed to criticise this show now, has ths become an appreciation thread. So i'll say it again, for me this programme is losing it's appeal. Just my opinion.

?? I didn't say anything about not being able to criticise - I have done plenty of that in my time. I liked it last night, are we not allowed to appreciate now?.....

I think the thing is there is no time line, this episode could have been set weeks after the measles - it's a snap shot in time.

Things like Dorcas not mentioning JD on the terrace were fine for me, beause they were not relevant to the storyline. JD is not coming back. If he was mentioned all over the place is would be confusing. If things like missing Sydney bother me I just imagine it as the highlights of the goings on and think he must not have done anything interesting. I also thought Vic Hamilton leaving was dealt with well. they had been leading up to something like that for weeks.

angelheart wrote: »
    I did feel though, that for Dorcas to have another love interest in this series would have been too much. I felt she needed time to recover, she is after all a Victorian woman, and I didn't feel it would be appropriate for her to fall in love with the next stranger passing through town.

Whilst I think it would have been more interesting for her to marry JD and then have to deal with being a married woman - I agree that as that didn't happen it would be silly for her to have a love interest this series. People are sick of seeing Laura fall for every male that rides into town, same would be said of Dorcas.

Anybody else wonder if Dorcas' interest in Mr Rippington was because he loved Isabel before she married and still loved her? Ref to Sir Tim?