Options

Any "Maine ****" cat owners on here?

Comments

• Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    gillypanda wrote: »
    I've got the identical tortoiseshell!

Mine had a Persian mother, who got out of her house and was "got" by a local feral. The resulting cat (who is now 15 as well) is very pretty, but very unpredictable. She's got tufty bits at the top of her ears, which I was told are indicative of wild or feral cats?

We've also got 3 Bengals, and they do seem to have calmed her down quite a lot. She plays with them sometimes, they're another breed which doesn't seem to grow up, and sleeps with one of them as well. I think they have given her a new lease of life, although it's taken a couple of years :)

My tortoiseshell is 16. healthy but not energetic. At least she has interesting company now!
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Ours are still growing. OH is worried now, boy cat is fairly huge. The girl is noticeably less bulky in build, but makes up for it in the tail department. It is about 4'' in diameter.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's got tufty bits at the top of her ears, which I was told are indicative of wild or feral cats?

Maine Coons have tufty ears as well, I don't think it's characteristic of wild cats, although obviously lynxes have tufty ears. Just some random genetic thing coming out, I guess!
  • Options
    Miss CheefMiss Cheef Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    have 2 Maine Coons - brother & sister and they have very different personalities.

the girl seems really bright and loves to play fetch - obviously thinks she's a dog :D have seen them described as 'the dog lovers cat' so that would make sense! she's also very affectionate and loves a cuddle - sleeps on my hubbys lap awwwww :)

what can i say about her brother - mental - loves splashing about with with water and scratching the furniture - he's only 10 month old and is already 15 pounds :eek: ah well we USED to have a nice house :cry:

it's really funny when they fight - they leave tufts of fur all over the house & we constantly have to vacuum - but next minute they are snuggling up together :D

i would recommend the breed to anyone cos they are very beautiful and loving cats :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fighting, another **** peculiarity. Mine stand on their back legs and box each other. Anyone else see this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MAW wrote: »
    Fighting, another **** peculiarity. Mine stand on their back legs and box each other. Anyone else see this?

yep mine do :D even though the girl is smaller she stands her ground - it's the only time i ever hear her hiss ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Miss Cheef wrote: »
    yep mine do :D even though the girl is smaller she stands her ground - it's the only time i ever hear her hiss ;)

Mine don't hiss at each other, just bat away with the paws. That's usually followed by a mad dash round the house, jumping over the furniture, hiding under the duvet, and in the bath. Girl cat's favourite hiding place, especially if it's wet.
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    She sounds lovely! Our boy chirrups as well, you can have quite a conversation with him - I just wish I knew what he was saying! He weighs around 17 lb, which is about right. I think he is a very intelligent cat, but he's also the most cussed animal I've ever known - if he gets an idea into his head, he just goes for it unless you take him away from temptation! Plastic bags are his favourite, every one we've got has been chewed!
    Katy is a chewer too - she chews paper and cardboard.

Newspapers, magazines, bills, letters, catalogues all are chewed in the corners and the bits spit out on the floor!

She also has a fascination for cardboard boxes and just has to get inside any cardboard box she sees.
    She doesn't seem to be aware of her own huge size and will cram herself into shoeboxes etc. and try to go to sleep - after first chewing away at the corner of course!.
  • Options
    gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to see some photos of your Maine Coons :)

I had a quick look through the "pics of your pets" thread, but the thread has got so long I couldn't find any. Thank you!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Artymags wrote: »
    Katy is a chewer too - she chews paper and cardboard.

Newspapers, magazines, bills, letters, catalogues all are chewed in the corners and the bits spit out on the floor!

She also has a fascination for cardboard boxes and just has to get inside any cardboard box she sees.
    She doesn't seem to be aware of her own huge size and will cram herself into shoeboxes etc. and try to go to sleep - after first chewing away at the corner of course!.

Our Maine **** also loves boxes, and he sits in the kitchen sink. He only chews plastic, rarely paper, and rubber bands if any are accidentally left around (not a good idea!).
  • Options
    Forum Member

I had a quick look through the "pics of your pets" thread, but the thread has got so long I couldn't find any. Thank you!

I'd do some fresh ones, but they are having their funny half hour, and these are the best I can get! Lily in the garden
    Lily's tail
    Leo
  • Options
    SuperSpursSuperSpurs Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mine is only half Maine **** but she has the traits, just in smaller form! Can't really see her tail in this picture :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/FatedGrace/kittens/babybed.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SuperSpurs wrote: »
    Mine is only half Maine **** but she has the traits, just in smaller form! Can't really see her tail in this picture :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/FatedGrace/kittens/babybed.jpg

Eyes and head shape very maine ****.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She also has the hair between her toes and fluffy tail/tummy.

Yours are gorgeous btw :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She also has the hair between her toes and fluffy tail/tummy.

Yours are gorgeous btw :)

Hmmmm, Lily has just had a Maine **** problem. She's very smelly:eek:
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our Maine **** also loves boxes, and he sits in the kitchen sink. He only chews plastic, rarely paper, and rubber bands if any are accidentally left around (not a good idea!).

Oh God yes - I forgot the rubber band thing!
    Also she loves to play with those little bits of wire that sometimes close bags - I have to take them off her in case she swallows one. She has even been known to fish them out of the rubbish bin!

She doesn't sit in the sink but she DOES sit in the bidet. We have a bidet next to the loo and if anyone goes to the loo Katy races in there ahead of then and sits in the bidet and fixes them with her un-nerving orange stare while they sit on the loo.
    The family have got used to it but it scares visitors! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Whose coons get dags, then?:o:D
  • Options
    gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh your cats are lovely :)

We have Bengals, and they too are fascinated with water and elastic bands! Our "baby" who is ginormous, has claimed the bath as her territory and also sits in there staring at anyone sitting on the loo :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

mine especially the girl & it's a struggle to remove them cos she don't like it much :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are "dags"? (feels stupid) :o

Gilly, my two are Bengal mixed (one the Maine ****/Bengal and the other Lyra is Bengal / something else, possibly Oriental). Lyra has lovely markings, like all Bengals do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mine does, but it's because I don't brush him every day. He went to the cattery a couple of weeks ago and they brushed him beautifully and gave me a guilt trip about it! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What are "dags"? (feels stupid) :o

Gilly, my two are Bengal mixed (one the Maine ****/Bengal and the other Lyra is Bengal / something else, possibly Oriental). Lyra has lovely markings, like all Bengals do.

Coons have long bum fur, and occasionally, they have a little accident, where it gets stuck in the fur. You really wanted to know that, didn't you:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coons have long bum fur, and occasionally, they have a little accident, where it gets stuck in the fur. You really wanted to know that, didn't you:D

Tell me about it! Baby Wipes come in very handy in such situations, but absolutely NO sitting on laps or furniture until it's sorted out!! Fortunately, it doesn't happen very often, Maine **** poos are pretty solid affairs in general.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tell me about it! Baby Wipes come in very handy in such situations, but absolutely NO sitting on laps or furniture until it's sorted out!! Fortunately, it doesn't happen very often, Maine **** poos are pretty solid and massive affairs in general.

I had to fix that for you. I've seen an alsatian do smaller ones than my boy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhh, I had a feeling it might be that :D

Daisy is small so does small poos. Only occasionally do I find a bit on the floor where its got stuck to her fluff. Then she will race around madly until it's fallen off :p:o