Options

Midsomer Murders

Comments

• Options
    DeanDSDeanDS Posts: 1,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed this episode too, there was some great writing and acting all round. I was a bit disappointed that Jones wasn't going to get promotion to Inspector when John Nettles retired, I think of the 3 sidekicks he is the most competent! (In fact I thought they were grooming him for the role). I guess as it's called Inspecteur Barnaby in France they needed a Barnaby.

So much for New Series, one two weeks ago and another yesterday then none scheduled!
  • Options
    jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    Well, I hate being out of step with everyone else, but I thought this was one of the most silly, unbelievable MM stories in ages. It was really obvious it was going to be the carer, but come on all of it, the past, the sword, the beheadings, the idea that because she goes to the gym she could move the stone lid off that grave on her own, that nobody would notice her around the ghost train in a cloak... I thought it was a rubbish bit of writing.

Like the new Barnaby a lot though - I think he'll work well with Jones.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    jtnorth wrote: »
    Well, I hate being out of step with everyone else, but I thought this was one of the most silly, unbelievable MM stories in ages. It was really obvious it was going to be the carer, but come on all of it, the past, the sword, the beheadings, the idea that because she goes to the gym she could move the stone lid off that grave on her own, that nobody would notice her around the ghost train in a cloak... I thought it was a rubbish bit of writing.

I don't think MM has ever been known for its subtlety or plausability, which is what makes it so fun to watch. The guest cast looked as if they were having a whale of a time last night!
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jtnorth misses the point entirely!
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good episode last night, im liking the new Barnaby, i always think Mark Gatiss is so hammy though.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camino wrote: »
    Good episode last night, im liking the new Barnaby, i always think Mark Gatiss is so hammy though.

Though I've always liked this entertaining bit of nonsense, the acting skills of any replacement for Barney Bee, would seem by comparison, like those of Laurence Olivier.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I understand why the dodgy businessman and the vicar were killed but what about the female hotelier??

I might have missed something at the end but was the corrupt mayor killed as well??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    I understand why the dodgy businessman and the vicar were killed but what about the female hotelier??

I might have missed something at the end but was the corrupt mayor killed as well??

can't remember what happened with the mayor, but the hotelier was killed as she was going to be the 'mother' in the plan to create an heir using the disabled guy's sperm. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    can't remember what happened with the mayor, but the hotelier was killed as she was going to be the 'mother' in the plan to create an heir using the disabled guy's sperm. :D

What plan was that??????
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had to suspend belief, how did she get the sword off the bus and back on again without being seen, and surely a medieval sword would have been huge about twice the size of that one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    kimbobill wrote: »
    He was really good in Nighty Night

Mark Gatiss also played another loony religious type in an episode of Marple a few years ago
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What plan was that??????

It was Tim McInnerny's characters idea - can't remember the full story, but see if you can rewatch the last 30 mins on catch-up somewhere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I think so, too. Him or his mousey carer ;)

I thought it was her. The way she kept looking at that photo on the piano and then when Barnaby focused on it later in the programme convinced me it was her.

I kept questioning myself though because I didn't think a woman would be able to wield a sword that heavy but I guess 'poetic licence' wins the day!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    jtnorth wrote: »

Good point - I'd forgotten that bit at the beginning where she lifted the stone off the crypt by stringing a rope over the beam and pulling was very far fetched. I doubt very much whether even a strong man could have done that all on his own, let alone a woman!

I do think Neil Dudgeon as the new 'John Barnaby' will prove an ideal successor though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The hotelier was in debt to the nasty man and agreed to a plan where she would be paid to be the host for sperm taken from the disabled guy and therefore there would be an heir to the older woman's considerable estate. The carer overheard the plan and decided to get rid of the dodgy guy and the hotelier and then presumably the mother if she hadn't been stopped.

The corrupt mayor of Causton presumably went to prison whilst the corrupt mayor Brighton didn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    The hotelier was in debt to the nasty man and agreed to a plan where she would be paid to be the host for sperm taken from the disabled guy and therefore there would be an heir to the older woman's considerable estate. The carer overheard the plan and decided to get rid of the dodgy guy and the hotelier and then presumably the mother if she hadn't been stopped.

The corrupt mayor of Causton presumably went to prison whilst the corrupt mayor Brighton didn't.

My mind was elsewhere during the last half hour or so cos I kept switching over to see the the score in the Arsenal-Liverpool game :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I thought it strange that the head of the hotelier was smiling when it was discovered and the eyes were open! If her eyes had been open when she was attacked she would not have seen anything to make her smile!
  • Options
    Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did they make it look like the head was on the table for that woman! The head made me jump when he flashed his torch.
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Cross with myself I missed this. Does anyone know if there's a repeat? It's not on itvplayer and I can't find any info on the itv site.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taz93 wrote: »
    How did they make it look like the head was on the table for that woman! The head made me jump when he flashed his torch.

Ha ha!

I guessed what was coming and was watching from behind a cushion:o
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taz93 wrote: »

They obviously just chopped off the actress's head and put it there for realism. Simples.
  • Options
    kat's mumkat's mum Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    FreddieP wrote: »
    Its been very bloody tonight, I bet this one won't be shown in the afternoon teatime slot!

Did anyone see todays teatime slot, when one of the characters called the boy a little shit? I wondered if there will be any complaints!:p

Really enjoyed it, total escapism and love Neil Dudgeon as a replacement!!
    Yesterday was fabulous for TV, Midsomers, Supernatural and Desperate Housewives, all there is today is Corrie!:mad:
  • Options
    LanceWilkinsLanceWilkins Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    This start of the transfer from Barnaby to Barnaby was done very nicely indeed, amid the gothic over-the-top story.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If John Nettles is currently filming his last series I would hazard a guess there will be a Christmas special in 2011 which is when Neil Dudgeon will take over permanently in a similar way to the Doctor Who switchover last Christmas
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ohh ffs I missed this, and wasn't aware it was going to be on. Shame because ITV have a silly rule about MSM not been on the player.