Options

3d Tv Displays

2»

Comments

• Options
    zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think OLED will make a come back as the colours are way better then what we have now, remember when non HD Plasmas were 4K+. And seeing as they can make then so thin, I am still convinced that in five or so years we will see reasonaly priced 40"+ size screens.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    zantarous wrote: »
    I still think OLED will make a come back as the colours are way better then what we have now, remember when non HD Plasmas were 4K+. And seeing as they can make then so thin, I am still convinced that in five or so years we will see reasonaly priced 40"+ size screens.

They still need to sort out OLEDs lifespan and hatred of anything with moisture (ie the air around it)

Also I have seen OLED demos and they seem too saturated although very grounded.

Trouble with 3D is you are best going with a huge screen to get the immersive feel - 32" 3D TVs will be a waste of money.

+ Like HD 3D will take ages to catch on (HD is still a rare possession) so to then tell everyone to scrap the new HD tv and go 3D will be a joy to see.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    nessoh wrote: »
    I understand Panasonic are releasing their 3D TVs in April, in Japan at least.

They have a 600Hz frequency. Will there be a noteable difference between this and say the Sony at 200Hz?? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Panasonic plasma 3D tvs are allready out and have been since before christmas

check this out http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/VIERA+Plasma+and+LCD+TVs/VIERA+Plasma+TV/TX-P42G10/Overview/2121153/index.html?trackInfo=true&gclid=CI-x9OGH958CFc9i4wodTg2gXQ
    ;)
  • Options
    skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That links to the G10 series TV. This is not 3D. The VT20 series out from memory in early summer is the first 3D set that Panasonic are to release to the gneral public (103" was not really released as such) and having seen it last week I have to say it is superb. Think gamers wil love it.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,563
    Forum Member
    skinj wrote: »
    From what I am aware the 600hz sets pulse the power into each pixel 12x for each of the 50hz frames. Each of the 12 sub frames are different to each other. How different this is to the normal 100/200hz systems I dont know but the results are very very good.

Plasma's pulse each pixel 256 times, it's how they get variable brightness - as pixels can only be either ON or OFF.

From your 'explanation' it sounds like you're as confused as the rest of the world - the manufacturers advertising seems to be deliberately confusing.

Like the Sony 200Hz sets, it's very good bevcuase it's a very good set, I don't think Hz (of whatever type) has anything much to do with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The technical explanation leaflet that we have in store states that is essence the pixels are charged 12 times for every image that is received into the tuner (using a 50 hz signal) each of the 12 charges are are different power levels depending on the image that is required. I have tried to find a link to the leaflet on the pana websit but have had no joy. I wasn't trying to justify he 600hz, we clearly state to our customers not to get caught up in the numbers as it is a different technical description to normal 50/100hz references.
    I may have mis read the leaflet, I may even try to take a photo of it as it's not on line at all!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    skinj wrote: »
    The technical explanation leaflet that we have in store states that is essence the pixels are charged 12 times for every image that is received into the tuner (using a 50 hz signal) each of the 12 charges are are different power levels depending on the image that is required.

And what does that mean? - it's complete advertising gobbledygook - a bizzare load of rubbish designed to impress customers.

It's 'explained' on the Panasonic website - but makes no more sense there either.
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derekb108 wrote: »

Do any of the major retailers have 3D demonstrators yet?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I've not seen any yet. I suspect March will be the earliest with Samsung's 3D TV offering.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like LCD screens are not out of the picture Techrader review first UK 3DTV http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/televisions/plasma-and-lcd-tvs/samsung-40c7000-673268/review?artc_pg=1
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that, zantarous. I note it says the glasses cost £100 and "It's unlikely that glasses from other manufacturers will be compatible." Early adopters beware.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You always know those third parties they don't let a little thing like compatibility get in their way. Give it time I am sure 3rd party ones will appear. It is a shame they didn't get together and establish one format for the glasses so they could be used on any TV.
  • Options
    TheBoingoBanditTheBoingoBandit Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sony are not scrapping OLED.

Japan are introducing a new rule that states that all new TVs must have some kind of child lock system on them.

For Sony to redesign their OLED portable to incoporate that would have been too expensive. They are not going to be selling that model in Japan anymore, but will continue to do so in other countries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what does that mean? - it's complete advertising gobbledygook - a bizzare load of rubbish designed to impress customers.

It's 'explained' on the Panasonic website - but makes no more sense there either.

I can't find the details on the web site at all, have taken a photo of the leaflet, will try to upload it somewhere.

and here it is! http://cid-30aec4840df125ea.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/digitalspy/27022010084.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sony are not scrapping OLED.

Japan are introducing a new rule that states that all new TVs must have some kind of child lock system on them.

For Sony to redesign their OLED portable to incoporate that would have been too expensive. They are not going to be selling that model in Japan anymore, but will continue to do so in other countries.

Considering models rarely (if ever?) last more than 12 months, that sounds extremely unlikely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Briefly noticed Sony re-doing their displays. I wonder if it is for their 3DTVs (well all but the LX flagship range). Note they are out for pre-order in Sony stores in the US.

Am I also correct in thinking Sony are only releasing the LX range in 40 and 60 inch sizes. Have they dropped the 52inch size and if so, why?