Options

PSN Titsup?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    lol at compensation, Most people have had between 3 1/1 - 4 years? At an original price of £400?

Lets do the maths

say 365 x 3.5 = 1277.5

400 = 1277.5

= 31p

Thanks sony

(by no means am i saying my math or indeed any maths are correct i feel maths is more of a personal thing and what may seem correct to me may only be a jack russell to another)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    I can see your logic, but that is based on figures from launch. I have had mine approximately 480 days and paid 300 for it, so based on your workings, I should get £1.60 - however I feel somewhere in the region of £10 PSN credit is more than fair as a gesture of goodwill.

PSN software is a guaranteed profit,and if you don't spend exactly 10 quid, or wish to spend more then you will add to it, so a generous piece of compensation actually works as a sales pitch.

Or a new DS3 as I said!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Come on only 21 posts to get to a thousand!
  • Options
    Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So no officl statement from sony to give details on why it happened what kind of comapny are they?
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was quite glad last night when I put the PS3 on at 00:01 and all was well.

Has Sony claimed to have fixed it themselves yet?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe that anyone actually want/expects compensation for this.
  • Options
    STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    Was quite glad last night when I put the PS3 on at 00:01 and all was well.

Has Sony claimed to have fixed it themselves yet?

No but that's a good point. I'm wondering now if Sony, once they discovered the source of the problem, just simply waited until after midnight to see if the PS3 would correct itself which indeed it has. Sony may have not done anything to fix the problem at all for all we know.

I suppose yesterday could be called 'The day the PS3 stopped breathing', lol :D
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    STEVE 03 wrote: »
    No but that's a good point. I'm wondering now if Sony, once they discovered the source of the problem, just simply waited until after midnight to see if the PS3 would correct itself which indeed it has. Sony may have not done anything to fix the problem at all for all we know.

I suppose yesterday could be called 'The day the PS3 stopped breathing', lol :D

I'm pretty certain they did nothing considering all offline PS3s fixed themselves too. It was as we expected, the clock went from 29/02/10 to 01/03/10 and everything was fine.
  • Options
    zexstreamzexstream Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    BT@home wrote: »
    I can't believe that anyone actually want/expects compensation for this.

And why not?

The Ps3 is still faulty, everyone of us here have purchased a faulty PS3, what other little issues are we to expect?

I expect to have the problem fixed or have the PS3 replaced. And because I was left without use of my PS3 for 24hrs I expect a reimbursment for this.

Also am I having to go through this every year when we dont have a leap year?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think sony will just laugh this out the window, as we dont pay for online gaming (YET) i think they will not offer any compensation
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    pottsyuk wrote: »
    I can see your logic, but that is based on figures from launch. I have had mine approximately 480 days and paid 300 for it, so based on your workings, I should get £1.60 - however I feel somewhere in the region of £10 PSN credit is more than fair as a gesture of goodwill.

PSN software is a guaranteed profit,and if you don't spend exactly 10 quid, or wish to spend more then you will add to it, so a generous piece of compensation actually works as a sales pitch.

Or a new DS3 as I said!

i can't see why you expect compensation? Cos you couldn't play your ps3 for a whole day???

What about if you have a power cut do you chase up your provider and scream "I'VE NOT BEEN ABLE TO PLAY MW2 FOR 3 HOURS"

I doubt it, lets just take aq moment here and really think about this, 1 day is bugger all and you'll appreciate the machine now and maybe not take it for granted lol
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zexstream wrote: »
    And why not?

The Ps3 is still faulty, everyone of us here have purchased a faulty PS3, what other little issues are we to expect?

I expect to have the problem fixed or have the PS3 replaced. And because I was left without use of my PS3 for 24hrs I expect a reimbursment for this.

Also am I having to go through this every year when we dont have a leap year?

Did you experience this problem last Feb/March?

Most likely Sony will release a fix with the next Firmware. End of story, and as for reports of people panic buying slims and xboxes. More fool them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It wasn't just online gaming - it was anything with trophy support offline, it was anything you've bought online. It was for services you paid for when you bought the console.

As it has been said, if it was just about online gaming, then these things happen, but this was a serious internal flaw that luckily fixed itself (I have seen no patches or firmware updates to argue against that point).

As Zexstream pointed out - if there is one fault - are there more?

If you were Sony, would you rather placate us with a small offer of compensation and a full apology, or have to replace every Phat PS3 on the planet - costing billions and damaging the reputation of the company permanently.

Sony must offer compensation as a PR exercise - and I think we all deserve that at the very least
  • Options
    steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    as it was one day, im not too bothrered, though, i was working for 7hours so effectively, around 6-10 hours in a 24hour period i couldnt play a few games (mw2, wohd and motorstorm pacific ridge required a 40min 600mb patch! wtf? not exactly pick up and play!)

it doesnt look good for sony, as youd wonder what else lies adhead, what other bugs are in the system.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the trophy issues someone mentioned a few pages back that if you compare your trophies to a friend you'll get your trophies back. I have tried this and i got all my heavy rain trophies that i'd lost so it might be worth doing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    With the trophy issues someone mentioned a few pages back that if you compare your trophies to a friend you'll get your trophies back. I have tried this and i got all my heavy rain trophies that i'd lost so it might be worth doing.

oh cool, thanks :)
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »
    Anyone know what was the purpose of this stupid system clock set to GMT? Especially as all clocks go out of sync anyway.

Because GMT and universal time are the same, its just we still say GMT. It gives people a constant to work with, in this case all the PS3s in the world packed in at the same time (near enough) and because the OS clock works with UT all they had to do was look at the UT date and it gave them a basis to work with. Had the time worked off local time you would have had yesterdays mess happening over a much longer period of time with some systems packing in when some were were just about ready to start up again and it wold have been much harder to track the problem down.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you were Sony, would you rather placate us with a small offer of compensation and a full apology, or have to replace every Phat PS3 on the planet - costing billions and damaging the reputation of the company permanently.

Sony must offer compensation as a PR exercise - and I think we all deserve that at the very least

Its not a "small offer" though it. You would be taking about giving out "free vouchers" to everyone, at a HUGE cost to Sony. I have 2 PS3's do I deserve 2 lots of vouchers ... or is it based on PSN accounts ... in which I need would 10 lots.

Personally I don't feel that I deserve anything from them, and for the sake of Sony being able to use these funds on more appropriate things (like producing games) then I would forsake it too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You deserve 2
  • Options
    chrisw99chrisw99 Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT@home wrote: »
    Its not a "small offer" though it. You would be taking about giving out "free vouchers" to everyone, at a HUGE cost to Sony. I have 2 PS3's do I deserve 2 lots of vouchers ... or is it based on PSN accounts ... in which I need would 10 lots.

Personally I don't feel that I deserve anything from them, and for the sake of Sony being able to use these funds on more appropriate things (like producing games) then I would forsake it too.

How on earth would Sony be able to figure out who to give compensation to anyway? Someone who was away or simply didn't turn on their PS3 on Monday shouldn't be entitled to any compensation, just because they had an affected PS3.

Can Sony identify which PS3s were logged on when it went down, and which attempted to log in during?
  • Options
    lawrenma2lawrenma2 Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You deserve 2

Yeah, 2 fingers (from Sony).

Oh yeah, they did that to us yesterday. ;)

I'm not a big fan of Rory Cellan-Jones (BBC tech reporter) but here's his take on it, for anyone who is interested:

Clicky
  • Options
    STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    BREAKING NEWS... Conspiracy Theories emerge after PS3 black out...

A number of conspiracy theories are emerging throughout the media, the main 3 being...

1. Sony were planning on developing a new firmware update which would turn the Playstation 3 into a time machine! This time machine would not only make the PS3 go back in time, but would actually by the touch of the PS button on the PS3 controller, make individuals go back in time as well. It was also Sony's perfect solution to backwards compatability. The firmware update failed miserably though which Sony tried to fix but to no avail and so therefore restored systems back to normal after midnight in a bid not to confuse people!

2. Sony have a secret hatred for fat consoles! Sony have hated the fat PS3 since it launched and tried to encourage people to buy the slim PS3 by switching off all fat PS3's worldwide and disconnecting them from the Network. The final sales figures for the Slim were only small though by close of business, so Sony had no choice but to restore the fat PS3's back to service.

3. Sony were trying to confuse people into believing that indeed we have all been living in a trance for the last 10 years and that yesterday Monday 1st March 2010 was indeed Friday 31st December 1999, in a secret bid to turn the Playstation community into a load of alcoholics thus encourging people to party like it was 1999!

If anyone else has heard of any conspiracy theory's, please share them :D
  • Options
    grabbigrabbi Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    Wait, wait, wait. Who the hell is talking about compensation?!

You dont stand a cat-in-hell's chance!

Some geezer sued MS in the States for Live going down back in 2007, and he paid his gold subscription. Suffice to say, he fell flat on his arse. The court costs probably crippled him!

PSN is free. You dont deserve any compensation for something you havent paid for!

SO many times Ive been told, your paying for a console, and the PSN service is free. Well, if it is free, then you have to deal with the fact that PSN can go down whenever PS want it to, and that you really dont have a say on when it comes back on.

You pay for your console, thats it. You dont pay for PSN.

I was of the opinion that a percentage of the sale price went to PSN without the consumers knowledge. Many shot that down, so Ill take that on the chin. I still believe that my opinion is correct, but if the majority believes PSN is legitimately free, with no strings attached, then you are not entitled to anything in the way of compensation. You might get a free game or something out of the good-will of Sony, but thats about it.
  • Options
    grabbigrabbi Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    STEVE 03 wrote: »
    BREAKING NEWS... Conspiracy Theories emerge after PS3 black out...

A number of conspiracy theories are emerging throughout the media, the main 3 being...

1. Sony were planning on developing a new firmware update which would turn the Playstation 3 into a time machine! This time machine would not only make the PS3 go back in time, but would actually by the touch of the PS button on the PS3 controller, make individuals go back in time as well. It was also Sony's perfect solution to backwards compatability. The firmware update failed miserably though which Sony tried to fix but to no avail and so therefore restored systems back to normal after midnight in a bid not to confuse people!

2. Sony have a secret hatred for fat consoles! Sony have hated the fat PS3 since it launched and tried to encourage people to buy the slim PS3 by switching off all fat PS3's worldwide and disconnecting them from the Network. The final sales figures for the Slim were only small though by close of business, so Sony had no choice but to restore the fat PS3's back to service.

3. Sony were trying to confuse people into believing that indeed we have all been living in a trance for the last 10 years and that yesterday Monday 1st March 2010 was indeed Friday 31st December 1999, in a secret bid to turn the Playstation community into a load of alcoholics thus encourging people to party like it was 1999!

If anyone else has heard of any conspiracy theory's, please share them :D

4. IT WOZ ALL MICRO$OFTZ FOLT!

EDIT: 1,000. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But it wasn't just PSN - that isn't the issue. We are all thoroughly annoyed that we couldn't use our consoles to play games, all due to a fault in the machine. Offline was just as much an issue as online