Options

Nicholas Briggs Sux at Dalek voices!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
Forum Member
Can't they get someone else to do it; he's dreadful. So is his ring modulator that they use (it just sounds like he's speaking into a fan).... for god's sake just fork out for a proper one.

Roy Skelton is still alive (last time I checked) - they should get him back.

I was hoping when RTD left that they'd give Nick Briggs the boot. Sadly that is not the case.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    This is the first Ive seen of a fan complaining about Briggs' work. I for one think he is great, and has done a fantastic job on both Doctor Who and the Big Finish range of Audios.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is the first Ive seen of a fan complaining about Briggs' work. I for one think he is great, and has done a fantastic job on both Doctor Who and the Big Finish range of Audios.
    Really! Ugh, can't stand him.... in fact, he point me off buying any further Dalek Big Finish Audios after I bought my first one. I think he is dreadful..... I was so dissapointed to learn that he was doing the Dalek voices back in 2005. And am just as dissapointed to learn he is still going to do them. :(
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick Briggs is brilliant. And one imagines he can even spell "sucks" as well which must be a bonus.

Why should they get someone else because one person wants them to? You are literally the only person I have seen make a comment like this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Nick Briggs is brilliant. And one imagines he can even spell "sucks" as well which must be a bonus.

Why should they get someone else because one person wants them to? You are literally the only person I have seen make a comment like this.

Hence the reason why I came onto a forum to engage opinion on the matter.

Funny that.:rolleyes:

I can also imagine he probably knows better than to begin a sentence with "and".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds fine to me... :confused:

Must be a slow day in Forumland..... :D
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I would love them to invite Roy Skelton back to do a story. But only if he is playing another Dalek faction having a heated dialogue with a Nick Briggs Dalek.

I like Nick Briggs. He's a big Dalek fan, and his contributions to classic Who dvd extras are always fun. He's very knowledgeable about the Daleks. Not that that makes any difference with regards to his Dalek voices.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Filiman wrote: »
    I can also imagine he probably knows better than to begin a sentence with "and".

It isn't actually grammatically incorrect to begin a sentence with 'and', despite popular opinion on the subject.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Of course, the original Dalek voice artist was the late Peter Hawkins. He was also the voice of the original "Bill and Ben The flowerpot Men". Dr Who and Bill and Ben (and Little Weeeeeeeeeeed). There's a trival pursuit question in the making.
  • Options
    EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know...sun's in the sky, there's a slight smell of spring in the air and there's nothing to hate in the Who world!

The Nick Briggs slip must've been chosen randomly from the hate hat. :D
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Not forgetting ex-Crossroads actor Royce Mills - who I think was the first Dalek voice to say "My vision is impaired, I cannot see!". :)
  • Options
    bohoboybohoboy Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You should probably read your own posts before making comments like that.

I refer you to post #3.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Nick Briggs voices Zippy there'll be an uproar. :p
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eli Crund wrote: »
    Of course, the original Dalek voice artist was the late Peter Hawkins. He was also the voice of the original "Bill and Ben The flowerpot Men". Dr Who and Bill and Ben (and Little Weeeeeeeeeeed). There's a trival pursuit question in the making.

Didn't also do the voices for Captain Pugwash??
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Didn't also do the voices for Captain Pugwash??

Yep. He did loads of adverts too, my favourite being the 'I'm a little Pritt stick' one. :D
  • Options
    NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    Nick Briggs played a Dalek for Steven Moffat a year before he played one for RTD, so you had little reason to hope.
  • Options
    brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He possibly even knows the correct spelling of "disappointed" too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member

Sorry mate but there's no excuse for spelling sucks with an x :D

On topic, I think Nick Briggs (didn't know his name before this thread, but saw him on a confidential once doing the German Daleks which deserves a medal by itself) does a great job on the Dalek voices. But I wouldn't be averse to more than one person doing the job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On topic, I think Nick Briggs does a great job on the Dalek voices. But I wouldn't be averse to more than one person doing the job.

I'm with you there. For all the versatility he brings to the various Daleks (esp. Dalek Caan), it would be interesting to hear someone with a completely different voice do some of it as well. Would be interesting to have a woman do it.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    I don't know...sun's in the sky, there's a slight smell of spring in the air and there's nothing to hate in the Who world!

Only the New New Doctor, the Old New Doctor, the New logo, the new(er) Cybermen, the Dalek voices, the theme tune, the incidental music, the look of the TARDIS, the interior of the TARDIS, the costume of The Doctor, the length of the companions miniskirt, fat unfunny comedians guest starring (maybe justified this one :p ) the writing, finding plot holes that aren't there just because you want to bring the writer down a peg or two, confidential interviews, lack of ghosts,.....and anything since 1989

You rarely get hate on these forums eh? :D
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    I'm with you there. For all the versatility he brings to the various Daleks (esp. Dalek Caan), it would be interesting to hear someone with a completely different voice do some of it as well. Would be interesting to have a woman do it.

I think the whole point of the Daleks is that they're pretty much uniform....

They certainly don't have male and female....

I'd say the Dalek voices are a bit too robotic in the old series, and as we all know, they aren't robots.
    (Well, we know now, they hadn't worked that out for a while I guess :p )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say the Dalek voices are a bit too robotic in the old series, and as we all know, they aren't robots.
    (Well, we know now, they hadn't worked that out for a while I guess :p )
    You've never seen the early Dalek stories, have you? We were told they weren't robots in their first appearance and saw Dalek mutants in several stories. Though they kept them off screen for years to preserve the mystery, they've never been portrayed as robots.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the whole point of the Daleks is that they're pretty much uniform....

They certainly don't have male and female....

I challenge you to obtain first-hand evidence of that. :D Honestly, who's ever going to lift up all those tentacles and check. :p

Besides, if they don't have females, how can Harriet Jones be their leader? ;)

More seriously now, I'm not suggesting using female actors to suggest the Daleks have two sexes or (shudder) reproduce sexually. I'm not sure how female a voice would even sound when put through the modulator. I just think having some voices markedly different from Nick Briggs' would be interesting, and this would be a good way to accomplish it.
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    You've never seen the early Dalek stories, have you? We were told they weren't robots in their first appearance and saw Dalek mutants in several stories. Though they kept them off screen for years to preserve the mystery, they've never been portrayed as robots.

You obviously haven't seen Destiny of the Daleks then :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You obviously haven't seen Destiny of the Daleks then :p

Remember the scene where the Doctor finds a Dalek mutant clinging to the rocks? It's still acknowledged that they began as living creatures, the point is simply that their thought processes have become robotic leaving them unable to out think the Movellans.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    Quite right!! Nick Briggs is rubbish and cleary so far up his own backside, is in danger of turning inside out.:mad::mad::mad: