Options

High Speed Train Route Announced

Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8221540.stm

Looks as if it basically a new West Coast Main line.

Assuming that it does come to fruition may I suggest that they start building it from the north to the south as that would encourage future governments to complete it rather than abandoning it after a couple legs made and it provides more initial benefit that a high speed line London to Birmingham.

I'd also suggest that it goes via Heathrow removing the need for the 3rd runway - it could then use Crossrail into London connecting into the Eurostar at Stratford

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    Where's the £34 Billion to pay for it coming from?

Personally I can't see it ever happening.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rossall wrote: »

It could be a prime bit of Keynsian stimulation, if they hadn't already announced the trains will be Japanese. :eek::mad:

It's exactly what we need (so long as it is AFFORDABLE!) but it's tragic we didn't do it years ago.

As you say - I can't imagine where the money will come from.
  • Options
    ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »

Looks as if it basically a new West Coast Main line.

Assuming that it does come to fruition may I suggest that they start building it from the north to the south as that would encourage future governments to complete it rather than abandoning it after a couple legs made and it provides more initial benefit that a high speed line London to Birmingham.

I'd also suggest that it goes via Heathrow removing the need for the 3rd runway - it could then use Crossrail into London connecting into the Eurostar at Stratford
    Isn't that what the Tories propose in their reverse S?
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,708
    Forum Member
    Bit of a misleading thread title. Where exactly is the route going? Drawing straight lines between London / Birmingham / Manchester does not tell us much.
  • Options
    SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rossall wrote: »

Probably through a combination of levying the rail companies and taxation. It doesn't necessarily mean extra taxation though. Spread over 20 years it could come from the existing budget of the Transport department.

I see that eastern England is once more totally ignored in favour of cities that already have substantial transport links.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Bit of a misleading thread title. Where exactly is the route going? Drawing straight lines between London / Birmingham / Manchester does not tell us much.
    Sorry, wrong link - ruddy BBC linking to old stories

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8561286.stm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog/2010/mar/11/high-speed-rail-plans-liveblog

According to other reports the initial route is defined to within 25 metres

DFT High Speed Rail Summary - including maps - interesting there is a link into Crossrail and Heathrow, though it's interesting that once north of Leeds / Manchester the time saving remains constant at 1 hour which suggests there won't be high speed north of Leeds / Manchester
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leaving aside it completely ignores the east of England no one has answered the question how are they going to fund this when public spending is set for big cuts.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,708
    Forum Member
    Not really any better. Is it following existing rail routes or grabbing new land or what?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be a massive boon to leave Birmingham and be in London within 46 minutes.

The reverse is not so appealing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Is it following existing rail routes or grabbing new land or what?

Nope the London to Birmingham bit ploughs straight through the Chilterns, hence environmentalists and those living there are opposed to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Nope the London to Birmingham bit ploughs straight through the Chilterns, hence environmentalists and those living there are opposed to it.

Why on earth can it not run alongside the current Euston-Birmingham line?

They might even be able to divert it through the middle of Milton Keynes, requiring mass demolition, which would be a huge benefit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Why on earth can it not run alongside the current Euston-Birmingham line?

They might even be able to divert it through the middle of Milton Keynes, requiring mass demolition, which would be a huge benefit.

I agree and that is exactly what Buckinghamshire County Council are pressing to happen.

One quote from a member of the council is "We have more lawyers per square mile in Buckinghamshire than any other county and we will fight this tooth and nail."
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great, another half-arsed government plan. I'd be amazed if we see it go anywhere north of Birmingham for a long long time.

Which does nothing to address the stupid number of internal flights, to Manchester in particular, we have.

Top work DfT
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the West need it more than the East.

The Western Line has: London, Birmingham, Pennines to Manchester, the East Midlands, Sheffield and Leeds as well as to Liverpool, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Glasgow and Edinburgh.

The Eastern line doesn't have as many needy cities.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    It could be a prime bit of Keynsian stimulation, if they hadn't already announced the trains will be Japanese. :eek::mad:

It's exactly what we need (so long as it is AFFORDABLE!) but it's tragic we didn't do it years ago.

As you say - I can't imagine where the money will come from.

Surely if they just stuck another 1p on basic rate income tax, that'd cover £34bn over ten years?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Surely if they just stuck another 1p on basic rate income tax, that'd cover £34bn over ten years?

I though it was over 20 years but anyway I'm sure everyone living in the rest of England and Wales will be delighted to pay for something they get sod all for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aftershow wrote: »
    Great, another half-arsed government plan. I'd be amazed if we see it go anywhere north of Birmingham for a long long time.

Which does nothing to address the stupid number of internal flights, to Manchester in particular, we have.

Top work DfT

Why is it "half-arsed"? It's a full plan, with prioritisation - like all good plans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    I though it was over 20 years but anyway I'm sure everyone living in the rest of England and Wales will be delighted to pay for something they get sod all for.

Ah, yes. Because economic infrastructure only benefits people withing a 10-mile wide corridor of it?
    Of course it has benefits for people in Wales and the rest of England - the point is schemes like this improve mobility, which generates inward investment from foreign countries, which generates tax revenue for the treasury, which means less tax requirements from individuals, which means more local economic activity.
    You've got to invest to accrue.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think they should extend it to Aberdeen, but SNP are in charge of Inter-Scotland Transport.
  • Options
    SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Western Line has: London, Birmingham, Pennines to Manchester, the East Midlands, Sheffield and Leeds as well as to Liverpool, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Sheffield, Leeds and Newscastle-upon-Tyne aren't linked by this.
  • Options
    ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The East Midlands, Sheffield and Leeds are not on the West Coast Mainline.
  • Options
    MickeyBricksMickeyBricks Posts: 1,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £34 billion for a new rail link is quite good, considering repairing the potholes in Britains neglected roads is going to cost around £10 billion.

It should be built as vertical integration with say, a 50 year minimum operating franchise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I do think they should extend it to Aberdeen, but SNP are in charge of Inter-Scotland Transport.

Are there really enough people in Aberdeen to justify that distance though? It has to pay for itself (which they have calculated the current plan should by a factor of over 2:1)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Ah, yes. Because economic infrastructure only benefits people withing a 10-mile wide corridor of it?
    Of course it has benefits for people in Wales and the rest of England - the point is schemes like this improve mobility, which generates inward investment from foreign countries, which generates tax revenue for the treasury, which means less tax requirements from individuals, which means more local economic activity.
    You've got to invest to accrue.

Well I fail to see how those for example living in the west of England or Wales will benefit enough to want to pay an extra 1p on their income tax that you suggested.

I assume all the claimed benefits you list are included in the business case for this project or are they just suppositions as none of the reports mention any cold hard facts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    £34 billion for a new rail link is quite good, considering repairing the potholes in Britains neglected roads is going to cost around £10 billion.

It should be built as vertical integration with say, a 50 year minimum operating franchise.

Agreed.