Options

The Business Inspector

pussyfootpussyfoot Posts: 740
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone watching this? I don't mean to be disrespectful, but does anyone else think that the woman helping small businesses get on the right track, Hilary Devey, could possibly have once been a man. Seen her on secret millionare last year and thought at the time that she may be transexual or transgender.

Comments

• Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching it - I know I've seen her somewhere but couldn't put my finger on it. She does have quite a distinctive face.... I give you that!;)

I also think Wow Tables is a shite name tbh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Donna needs to work on her self-esteem problem.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    I'm watching it - I know I've seen her somewhere but couldn't put my finger on it.

I believe she presents another TV programme called 'Chatty Man' and a show on Radio 2 on Saturday afternoons....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    johnny_t wrote: »
    I believe she presents another TV programme called 'Chatty Man' and a show on Radio 2 on Saturday afternoons....

LOL That was exactly what I said.

I believe that she's recovered from a stroke which may have something to do with it.
  • Options
    pierre_gustavepierre_gustave Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This type of show has been done to death.
    From Ol' JHJ on Troubleshooter through to Gerry Robinson last year.
    Stale format.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL That was exactly what I said.

I believe that she's recovered from a stroke which may have something to do with it.

Gah - Way to make me feel bad.....:D

I did like the programme overall. Admittedly, she's no badger, but I still like this kind of thing...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite enjoyed it - although agree it's just like HOtel Inspector, etc, etc....

I don't think she looks like a man - but I def think she's wearing different wigs - and even with all her cash they don't fit as well as Joan Collins ones do! :o:o:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Donna needs to work on her self-esteem problem.

not the only thing she needs to do .if she has to wear jeans she should buy longer tops so her stomach dosent wobble over the top of them.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was amazed how the flower woman went from being a bumbling, frightened forgetful person giving her presentation, to giving such a polished performance in the final presentation.
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pussyfoot wrote: »
    Anyone watching this? I don't mean to be disrespectful, but does anyone else think that the woman helping small businesses get on the right track, Hilary Devey, could possibly have once been a man. Seen her on secret millionare last year and thought at the time that she may be transexual or transgender.

Yes that crossed my mind last night and I've never seenher anywhere before. Wouldn't be surprised at all. She doe have a very deep voice!
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes that crossed my mind last night and I've never seenher anywhere before. Wouldn't be surprised at all. She doe have a very deep voice!

I was thinking the same but she is a single mother

http://www.coutts.com/woman/2009/july/features/Hilary-Devey.asp
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Huge shortage of posts about the actual content on here.
    I didn't watch it.

I'd prefer to see the Troubleshooter or Gerry Robinson doing their thing, prefer their style after seeing the trailer for this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My wife also said "is that a man" when she saw the
    advert for this show earlier this week
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bullman wrote: »
    My wife also said "is that a man" when she saw the
    advert for this show earlier this week

No, as an above post says, she has a son who's had a lot of drug problems.
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I saw Hilary on the 'Secret M' series and thought that for all her wealth and comfort she seemed to be a very lonely person as though she was living in a 'gilded cage'.
    I'm glad that her obvious expertise and knowledge has been recognised and put to use in the new show.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    John Dough wrote: »
    I saw Hilary on the 'Secret M' series and thought that for all her wealth and comfort she seemed to be a very lonely person as though she was living in a 'gilded cage'.
    I'm glad that her obvious expertise and knowledge has been recognised and put to use in the new show.

I think she came to the same conclusion herself at the end of the Millionaire show, something was missing from her and her son's life.

I too saw her in the Secret Millionaire, I don't remember thinking she was a man/transgender or anything of the sort.
    I think she may have had some 'work' done since that program though.

Maybe it's just me who doesn't 'see' these things, probably a good thing as she's actually a woman and it's all bollox.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she may have had some 'work' done since that program though.

I think so too. My son was also half watching the programme and asked if 'it' was a man. If anyone knows of the cartoon 'Courage the Cowardly Dog', he thinks she looks like Eustace with a wig and slap. ;)
  • Options
    That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    This type of show has been done to death.
    From Ol' JHJ on Troubleshooter through to Gerry Robinson last year.
    Stale format.
    I think Troubleshooter was by far the best of this type of show really. John Harvey-Jones went into MUCH more detail with the firms rather than just a little bit of tinkering with marketing and a few lessons in management accountancy which is really what most of them do.
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (S)he could definitely do well with a Wig Inspector programme, probably fill a whole series with her own dubious efforts.
  • Options
    Mandi68Mandi68 Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    googleking wrote: »
    (S)he could definitely do well with a Wig Inspector programme, probably fill a whole series with her own dubious efforts.

like the previous poster said she seems to have been incredibly ill recently and had to undergo months of rehabilitation.

http://www.coutts.com/woman/2009/july/features/Hilary-Devey.asp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the Daily Mail and SAGA, she went to have cosmetic surgery and was told to give up smoking a couple weeks for the OP which she didn't and it led to the complications. Didn't know she was a WRAF though. :)
  • Options
    petestanpetestan Posts: 3,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the programme but as others have said I prefer some of the other business programmes. One thing that stuck out for me, when they went to her business headquarters there was no one else there at all, did they film on a weekend or was it just a place hired for the filming and then they put up a couple of signs with her company name on?
  • Options
    NorfolkPoppyNorfolkPoppy Posts: 5,688
    Forum Member
    Well, blow the critical lot of you, I enjoyed it.

I actually liked her gravelly voice and it never crossed my mind she was a bloke.

I think maybe you have been watching too much guff. She was exceptionally helpful to the florists who had been making a huge loss and what she suggested to the table bloke made sense just he didn't seem to have the courage of his convictions. Who holds a franchise event and then tells ppl he doesn't want them to buy into it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved it.

Hilary to Florist - "How much did this cost to make?"

Florist to Hilary - "Roughly 40 pounds."

Hilary to Florist - "How roughly?"

I think anyone in business for themselves (like me) would have found that telling and funny!
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilyM wrote: »
    I loved it.

Hilary to Florist - "How much did this cost to make?"

Florist to Hilary - "Roughly 40 pounds."

Hilary to Florist - "How roughly?"

I think anyone in business for themselves (like me) would have found that telling and funny!

That made me smile too!