Options

Bargain Hunt - your favourite expert

Comments

• Options
    TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    I loved it today when Philip said that Anita looks like Gwendoline from Wallace and Grommitt, I have always thought that:D

Yep its that "Pelmet & Curtains" hairstyle:D
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, I forgot Michael Hogben - my least favourite!

In the old days he would have been known as a 'knocker' - going around paying a pittance for people's valuable treasures.

I can't stand how tight he is. There is the accepted way of dealing, buying some way below value to sell on and make a profit, then there is the Hogben way - pretend everything is out of fashion, damaged or inferior and then make a pathetic offer.

If I remember correctly he was an ugly little man who never picked an item that made money for the contestants.
  • Options
    CyberdameCyberdame Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    I'm loving the Antiques Road Trip which comes to a conclusion later today. As for favourite Bargain Hunt experts, I think Phillip Serell and Charles Hanson have been the best pairing. They really work well together with their constant banter. On BH I love it when Charles is the auctioneer because he's so funny as he gets the bidders going and uses the phrase "fair warning" before slamming down the gavel.

I think the Beeb should get these two to do a series.
  • Options
    CarmanCarman Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I getting confused or did James and Mark only get four episodes while the other experts got five?
  • Options
    WatlingA5WatlingA5 Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    No, you're not confused. I was explained at the start of their session they would have only four days, but were given extra cash to make up for it - IIRC £250 instead of £200.
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    My favourite auctioneer is the bald one, is it Tom Sométhing? and Anita a close second.

Expert - I've recently fallen for Charles Hanson. He looks like she should live in the countryside with labradors and green wellies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Expert - I've recently fallen for Charles Hanson. He looks like she should live in the countryside with labradors and green wellies.

My Friend was on bargain Hunt a couple of years ago and Charles was one of the Experts, we went to watch them film the Auction and met Tim, Charles and Mark Stacey...Charles came and sat with us whilst he was waiting to film his bit of the Auction he is a lovely Man....unlike Julian Clary who was one of the contestants he was stuck up and wouldn't bother with anyone!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a "thing" for Catherine Southon.

And Charles Hanson is probably the most entertaining auctioneer (if perhaps not the most successful). "I'M OUT", "FAIR WARNING" etc etc

Aaaaah, daytime tv :P
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    My favourite auctioneer is the bald one, is it Tom Sométhing? and Anita a close second.

Tom Keane is the baldy hammer slammer:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a "thing" for Catherine Southon.

And Charles Hanson is probably the most entertaining auctioneer (if perhaps not the most successful). "I'M OUT", "FAIR WARNING" etc etc

Aaaaah, daytime tv :P

Tabby sas
    the "fair warning" stuff was used first by Rupert Toovey
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charles Hanson makes me laugh when he's auctioneering - it's like he's conducting an orchestra:D

I'm sure I remember an episode when an item Charles had chosen for the contestants didn't sell:eek::D:o
  • Options
    CarmanCarman Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WatlingA5 wrote: »
    No, you're not confused. I was explained at the start of their session they would have only four days, but were given extra cash to make up for it - IIRC £250 instead of £200.

Ah, thanks for that, I must have missed the beginning of that one. I also wondered why they had £250 to start with, when I thought it was £200, so you've solved that mystery as well.

I've just realised that I missed the last episode this afternoon, so it's off to Iplayer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    My favourites have to be James Lewis and Anita Manning - for different reasons of course.
    I think they both have fantastic characters and smiles, outstanding with their specialities and come over extremely well to the audience. But James has a little extra something - he is my ultimate teddy bear I am afraid!
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just love Charles Hanson's enthusiasm.:)

But the top man at the moment must be Paul Laidlaw.;)
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    I just love Charles Hanson's enthusiasm.:)

If I were a contestant i'd want paul Laidlaw on my team but I agree james lewis is the cuddliest.Phillip serrel camer to a theatre where i used to do voluntary work and he's a lovely man stayed behind in the bar after chatting to everyone and was really sweet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep the man who created the catchphrase "What think you of this":D:D
  • Options
    SiGaSiGa Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate Bliss (or Allcock as she used to be) and Pippa Deeley are my favourites.

Have to say although I like Tim now (was not too keen when he started), I personally still preferred David Dickinson on BH.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I were a contestant i'd want paul Laidlaw on my team but I agree james lewis is the cuddliest.Phillip serrel camer to a theatre where i used to do voluntary work and he's a lovely man stayed behind in the bar after chatting to everyone and was really sweet

PS does come across as a throughly decent bloke
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SiGa wrote: »

Have to say although I like Tim now (was not to keen when he started), I personally still preferred David Dickinson on BH.

I used to fancy Pippa like mad:D:D
  • Options
    SiGaSiGa Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just looked at her site, and I have to say she still looks as beautiful as ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    SiGa wrote: »

Have to say although I like Tim now (was not too keen when he started), I personally still preferred David Dickinson on BH.

She's now working for The Duke on Dickinson's Real Deal as a behind the scenes expert. I must get along to one of the venues;)
  • Options
    kalikikikankalikikikan Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    She's now working for The Duke on Dickinson's Real Deal as a behind the scenes expert. I must get along to one of the venues;)

I've also met her working as a background expert on Flog It
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've also met her working as a background expert on Flog It

I think that i have spotted her there as well.

Wasted in the background:(
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    MrsSpoon wrote: »

I also like the chirpy Charles Hanson. He looks upbeat and enthusiastic. But again he doesn't alway choose what I like.

He always chooses absolute rubbish!! He's the only 'expert' I've seen whose bonus buy item didn't even sell at the auction!

LMAO!
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    number six wrote: »
    My Friend was on bargain Hunt a couple of years ago and Charles was one of the Experts, we went to watch them film the Auction and met Tim, Charles and Mark Stacey

I never liked Mark Stacey much but having seen him on the Antiques Road Trip he's now my favourite. He was hilarious. :D