Options

Piracy Laws. Are you ready? April 14th (Merged)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
Forum Member
Just a heads up.

The new piracy laws are expected to be passed next wednesday 14th april.
The onus is on the user to make sure your connection is secure because if someone uses your wifi connection to download stuff its the owner of the connection who is responsible.

"experts" are suggesting many will need new routers for better security.

Article here: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article7086250.ece

Note:Apparently the french laws are proving not to be very effective with piracy having increased since it was introduced. What a surprise!

Comments

• Options
    TraynorTraynor Posts: 1,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will the ISP pay for the new routers?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Illegal downloading will never be stopped. The pirates will always be one step ahead because the industry tried to take a head-in-the-sand approach in the beginning, instead of embracing the culture and finding a way to make it accessible early on. They can do what they like but those who are determined enough will always get around any deterrents put in place.

It will probably be innocent people who are affected by any anti-piracy laws the most because the people in charge of them couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a very confusing stance to take because in this country people can record TV programmes for later viewing, quite legally.

We also have music beamed at us 24/7 via radio, for free.

It's like putting two trays of cakes out and saying you can't eat that tray but you can eat that try, without really pointing very clearly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    Traynor wrote: »
    Will the ISP pay for the new routers?

There is as much chance of that as Mandelson voting Tory.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that the onus is on the owner of the line to ensure it's security whereas the onus isn't on the owner of the intellectual property to ensure its security.

Which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    It's a very confusing stance to take because in this country people can record TV programmes for later viewing, quite legally.

We also have music beamed at us 24/7 via radio, for free.

It's like putting two trays of cakes out and saying you can't eat that tray but you can eat that try, without really pointing very clearly.

Quite. Why is torrenting a movie that's been on telly any different from recording it when it's on?

I download a lot of stuff. I also BUY a lot of stuff. It would have been supremely ironic if I'd been busted for downloading the last Mastodon album, for example, considering that at the time I'd just spent fifty quid ordering a limited edition of it which I was still waiting for.
  • Options
    Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    Many people have a dynamic IP address, meaning that it changes everytime you log on, and also means that thousands of users will currently have an IP address that somebody else had yesterday.

Flawed logic from the start.
  • Options
    Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Quite. Why is torrenting a movie that's been on telly any different from recording it when it's on?

I download a lot of stuff. I also BUY a lot of stuff. It would have been supremely ironic if I'd been busted for downloading the last Mastodon album, for example, considering that at the time I'd just spent fifty quid ordering a limited edition of it which I was still waiting for.

Basically, it's no different at all - but the law is the law, apparently - contradictions, and sometimes senseless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    Basically, it's no different at all - but the law is the law, apparently - contradictions, and sometimes senseless.

It just gets on my tits, really. I don't watch telly, so I don't see when movies are on. But I do pay my license, because I own one (and because I think the BBC is a wonderful thing). But I'm breaking the law by downloading last week's True Blood or whatever, while someone who records it at the time isn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Encrypted torrent clients, VPN services, more awareness of proxy servers, and so on....

A failed business model trying to prevent itself from the expense of innovating and getting with the new decade, plenty of ways for people to do what they have already been doing, in time as these measures kick in more user friendly applications will be created thus negating the whole premise of the legislation.

Despite all this, year on year the music industry has continued to grow, blockbuster films still draw record breaking audiences, TV shows - good ones - still get good ratings. The evidence to back up the need for this does not stand up when examined.

Though this is only part of the Digital economy bill, this bill has been rushed through to avoid being kicked to touch after the election, it has not been risk assessed properly and grants massive powers to the secretary of state for business, this bill has not been debated enough to warrant it passing.

Will be interesting to see how things play out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jorrai wrote: »
    Encrypted torrent clients, VPN services, more awareness of proxy servers, and so on....

A failed business model trying to prevent itself from the expense of innovating and getting with the new decade, plenty of ways for people to do what they have already been doing, in time as these measures kick in more user friendly applications will be created thus negating the whole premise of the legislation.

Despite all this, year on year the music industry has continued to grow, blockbuster films still draw record breaking audiences, TV shows - good ones - still get good ratings. The evidence to back up the need for this does not stand up when examined.

Though this is only part of the Digital economy bill, this bill has been rushed through to avoid being kicked to touch after the election, it has not been risk assessed properly and grants massive powers to the secretary of state for business, this bill has not been debated enough to warrant it passing.

Will be interesting to see how things play out.

Exactly. It wasn't David Geffen who just stopped me in the street to ask for 50p, was it?

Aside from which, people of my age have probably already paid twice for half of their record collection- once on vinyl, once on CD.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Did we all write to our MPs about this? ;)
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely that will mean a large drop in the number of for instance BT openzone hotspots or come to that any hotspots . Many businesses allow their router to be used as a hotspot or provide internet services on their premises so they own/rent the connection , surely if their connection is used by soemone else to download something from someone else that is illegal businesses will just say no thanks mate and switch it off to cancel any liability, meaning less wifi and internet connections for people outside their own home.
  • Options
    vanzandtfanvanzandtfan Posts: 8,897
    Forum Member
    Yes, I'm ready. VPN up and running ;)
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    Many people have a dynamic IP address, meaning that it changes everytime you log on, and also means that thousands of users will currently have an IP address that somebody else had yesterday.

Flawed logic from the start.

This doesn't make much difference, the ISP will keep track of who leased an IP address and when
  • Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes , I have my foreign vpn's ready :)
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,534
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Because

1. recording it from TV is just "downloading" it, for your own personal use. Nothing is (normally) uploaded for others.

2. TV companies pay copyright fees for their movie; torrent uploaders don't.

3. Torrent downloading is uploading too (in most cases) and it's the uploaders (you!) they really want. Torrent downloaders are (mostly) also illegal uploaders and the entire torrent system depends on it.
  • Options
    cheesy_pastycheesy_pasty Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Surely that will mean a large drop in the number of for instance BT openzone hotspots or come to that any hotspots . Many businesses allow their router to be used as a hotspot or provide internet services on their premises so they own/rent the connection , surely if their connection is used by soemone else to download something from someone else that is illegal businesses will just say no thanks mate and switch it off to cancel any liability, meaning less wifi and internet connections for people outside their own home.

Exactly. All this bill does is restrict our freedoms. It's a bloody farce but there are plenty of ways and means around it. All the bill will do, is encourage more people to download illegally and boycott actually buying material.
    Lord Mandy is simply in the pockets of the fat cats, and no doubt profitting quite handsomly from this whole charade. The man should be lynched and kicked into obscurity, the vile slug on Britain that he is. This bill gives him so much power, from a position that the public can't even remove him from.
    I hope the country starts downloading illegally en mass. Will the government disconnect the entire country? No doubt sending the UK so far back, we will become an insignifcant spec on the radar.
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Because recording it from TV is just "downloading" it, for your own personal use.

Getting it by torrenting is uploading it too (in most cases) and it's the uploaders they really want. Torrent downloaders are (mostly) also illegal uploaders and the entire torrent system depends on it.

That's the thing. Right now, it's only really illegal to upload and 'seed' movies, music etc. This bill will allow them to penalise anyone they see fit, even if it wasn't even them doing it. It's finally going to happen however. Big business is finally going to be running Britain.
  • Options
    teenagemartyrteenagemartyr Posts: 6,782
    Forum Member
    When I download movies/music via torrent, I never "seed" and I don't "share" any files on Limewire.

I think this is the best way of doing it without getting caught...
  • Options
    billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    Downloading is actually legal its what your downloading that might not be its only illegal if you are downloading copyrighted material films still in cinema etc websites like the box and uk nova have TV shows which ppl from the public have recorded themselves and then put them up for you to download that's not illegal
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I download movies/music via torrent, I never "seed" and I don't "share" any files on Limewire.

So you are a leecher then?
    Closed torrents sites soon send you on your way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bit selfish, though, innit?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The more people do that the slower downloads become or fizzle out, that's why some decent torrent sites have a 1:1 ratio rule or 72 hour seed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member

Even if you don't seed, aren't you still uploading though at the same time you're downloading.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyhow theres much better ways than torrents.
    But the first rule is not too talk about it :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if you don't seed, aren't you still uploading though at the same time you're downloading.

Yeah, you're still a peer.