Options

I really hate it when people say....

Comments

• Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another one. People who add 'to be honest' at the end of every sentence. I hate them almost much as the 'to be fair' people!

Someone recently sent me a text message: 'Go f*ck yourself, tbh'. TBH???? Why TBH?! What relevence has honesty got, when you are telling someone to f*ck themselves??
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I'm guilty of this one myself, but "now in a minute", it seems to be particularly common here in Wales. Talk about an oxymoron.
  • Options
    HarryValleyHarryValley Posts: 16,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another one. People who add 'to be honest' at the end of every sentence. I hate them almost much as the 'to be fair' people!

Someone recently sent me a text message: 'Go f*ck yourself, tbh'. TBH???? Why TBH?! What relevence has honesty got, when you are telling someone to f*ck themselves??
    Had you upset them?
  • Options
    iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    matrixlad wrote: »
    "heart it" or "heart you"

Grrr it grates on me

what other phrase really annoy you?

Yes well i hate the matrix :rolleyes: :D
  • Options
    The screamThe scream Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iiHEARTy0u wrote: »
    Yes well i hate the matrix :rolleyes: :D

Hahah
    Fiiiiight!!!!
    :D
  • Options
    blue_cobaltblue_cobalt Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    I HATE the word technically :mad:
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had you upset them?

I assume so. But the 'tbh' bit just made him sound really stupid!
  • Options
    blue_cobaltblue_cobalt Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Innit.
  • Options
    skreepersskreepers Posts: 1,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Minging has been used in Scotland for many, many years. I used it as a kid way back in the 70s and 80s.

Same as n.Ireland.

And I say most of the things people here hate. Hahahaa.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I work with someone who starts every sentence with "Guess what..." or "guess who..." "Guess what's broken down" "Guess who's off sick"... Just tell me! I don't have time for guessing games. grrrr
  • Options
    BigfeetBigfeet Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not read the whole thread, so sorry if it's been mentioned before - but "owned" / "pwned" - chav language for the less educated/articulate surely?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'n' stuff like that
    you know
    up for grabs
    don't do anything I wouldn't do

and I agree with blue_cobalt "innit" :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Everyone does it" or "Everyone says it" - they don't know that "everyone" does. Saying it also makes their argument for doing the same thing or criticising other people's behaviour look very weak.

Obvious grammatical errors, such as "I done" & "I seen", make me wince. I couldn't speak like that because it sounds so incredibly wrong to me, yet it's something that some people seem to have taken up in the last couple of years. If they weren't speaking like that before, why start doing it now?

Replacing a "g" with a "k", for instance when the word "something" becomes "somethink", sounds dreadful. It might be the current way of doing things for some people, but it makes them sound rather stupid. I couldn't help laughing one day when a colleague said "somethink" & another one interjected with "Clearly not you" - it took the other colleague ages to realise what the comment referred to, & I think she only got it when someone else explained it to her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Everyone does it" or "Everyone says it" - they don't know that "everyone" does. Saying it also makes their argument for doing the same thing or criticising other people's behaviour look very weak.

How very true. The amount of times I want to scream at the TV "speak for yourself!"
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    I worked with a bloke who kept saying "no problem at all" over and over again day in, day out. It made me want to scream.

One point that puzzles me is why, when talking about interest rate rises (or falls) news programmes refer to "a quarter of one per cent". It's hardly likely to be a quarter of 7 per cent is it ?

Also the BBC Radio 4 news constantly uses phrases such as "the American state of Texas" or "he American state of Ohio".
    I think we all know where Texas and Ohio are. Georgia may need some clarification though as there's two of 'em. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    Also the BBC Radio 4 news constantly uses phrases such as "the American state of Texas" or "he American state of Ohio".
    I think we all know where Texas and Ohio are. Georgia may need some clarification though as there's two of 'em. ;)
    There's a good reason for that. If you look here, you'll see places where states & cities have the same name, or where the name of a city is the same as another state. For instance, there's a Nevada City in Nevada, but there's also one in California. There's Arkansas City in Kansas, but there's Kansas in Alabama, Illinois & Oklahoma. There's an Iowa in Louisiana, and there are a lot of Washingtons. American states & cities can be very confusing, even to people who live there. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ultimate hatred is people who say 'Smile it might never happen' :mad:

That has got to be the most ignorant, stupid thing to say to somebody, especially when it comes from a stranger who has no clue what is going on in your life at that moment in time!

Just because I'm not grinning like some broadmoor escapee as I shop around ASDA for baked beans doesn't mean I'm unhappy. Just obviously not as easily pleased as you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My ultimate hatred is people who say 'Smile it might never happen' :mad:

That has got to be the most ignorant, stupid thing to say to somebody, especially when it comes from a stranger who has no clue what is going on in your life at that moment in time!

Just because I'm not grinning like some broadmoor escapee as I shop around ASDA for baked beans doesn't mean I'm unhappy. Just obviously not as easily pleased as you.
    One of my friends has got a face that does look miserable unless she's grinning like a cartoon cat, but she can't help that. She heard 'Smile, it might never happen' so many times that she got her brother to make her a T-shirt that said "I am happy. My face just doesn't like yours". When people used to pass comment about her face, she'd point at the message on her T-shirt. :D
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    'you're Joking me"!!....no! it's "kidding me":mad:
  • Options
    Bendy WendyBendy Wendy Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bear with me.......;).......at this moment in time.....;)....I kid you not.......;)......all drive me bonkers!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my friends has got a face that does look miserable unless she's grinning like a cartoon cat, but she can't help that. She heard 'Smile, it might never happen' so many times that she got her brother to make her a T-shirt that said "I am happy. My face just doesn't like yours". When people used to pass comment about her face, she'd point at the message on her T-shirt. :D

Haha I like that!

I don't think I look especially miserable at all - just normal. Maybe it's only me that thinks walking around grinning like some kind of psychopath would look a little odd :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    There's a good reason for that. If you look here, you'll see places where states & cities have the same name, or where the name of a city is the same as another state. For instance, there's a Nevada City in Nevada, but there's also one in California. There's Arkansas City in Kansas, but there's Kansas in Alabama, Illinois & Oklahoma. There's an Iowa in Louisiana, and there are a lot of Washingtons. American states & cities can be very confusing, even to people who live there. :)

Apparently Gibraltar can be confusing to Syrian lorry drivers as well :D
    Back on topic, as has already been mentioned, the dreaded "smile, it might never happen". I used to be told that by drunks at the end of of a 7.5 hour night shift.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    I hate it when people say "I don't mind" when you ask their opinion on something. Make a DECISION!!
  • Options
    Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    matrixlad wrote: »
    "heart it" or "heart you"

Grrr it grates on me

what other phrase really annoy you?

Never heard this before. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My hate at the moment is "oh my days" as an expression of shock/surprise or whatever.