Options

Why can't women be nice to each other?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,397
Forum Member
✭✭✭
OK - usually I'm not one to be bothered about things like this, but there's a girl at work who says things which make me feel about the size of an ant.

I can't work out yet whether she's just REALLY insensitive or whether she's meaning to be nasty/bitchy.

She has asked me several times what my dress size is (I'm very happy with my size). She's small herself, though not skinny. She asked me my size again today, and then said something along the lines of "Really? Are you sure? You're not a bigger size than that?? ".

I hate that a silly throwaway comment like that could bother me so much but it did. It's not just that - she'll laugh at things I say with scorn, basically to try to make me look stupid. I've come across other women who do this (almost exclusively to other women). Why??? I really like the company of other women, but often I find myself despairing at how a small minority of women can make such barbed and hurtful comments towards each other.

This person is not someone I'd normally be friends with, so outside work I wouldn't even give her a second thought, however, I want to get on at work without getting into any bother - I find myself being really short with her in case I get into a conversation and she belittles something I say.

Comments

• Options
    Moany LizaMoany Liza Posts: 22,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'd really just tell her to mind her own business and suggest that she gets on with her work and lets you do the same.

Workplace conversation is fine as long as it doesn't extend to unnecessary intrusion into your personal life - which her comments appear to be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some people are like this because they have a poor opinion of themselves and putting other people down with nasty remarks and the like makes them feel superior.

She sounds like a horrible person. I would speak to her as little as possible and don't show that her remarks upset you. She'll get bored and probably move onto someone else.
  • Options
    miss_minervoismiss_minervois Posts: 2,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'd confront her, and I'd do it publicly with a large audience; but then that's me. Get the whole thing out in the open, at least that way you can politely avoid her.

Can't be doing with thinly veiled little digs.

This is also why I prefer the company of men !
  • Options
    Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are loads of videos on the internet of women being nice to each other.
  • Options
    *weeschmoo**weeschmoo* Posts: 9,713
    Forum Member
    Edited - made a mess of the replying
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, Please don't right off all women kind on the basis of one bitch at work.
    Some people are just vile, men as well as women.
  • Options
    *weeschmoo**weeschmoo* Posts: 9,713
    Forum Member
    Why is she so bothered by what your dress size is? I get that sometimes and they always insist I should be smaller than I have said, I also get people telling me how to dress as apparently I don't dress appropriately for my age:mad: I think it's just cause they are jealous of my individual style which they could not replicate themselves;) - (most of the clothes I wear are ancient)

I just ignore people like that, have they nothing better to do than nose into my business?

If she gets into talking like that, just quickly change the subject and hopefully she will soon get the message.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have come to the conclusion that most women hate most other women. My theory is it's left over from thousands of years ago when many females were competing for the attention of the dominant male.

Just a theory though, don't kill me girls :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'd confront her, and I'd do it publicly with a large audience; but then that's me. Get the whole thing out in the open, at least that way you can politely avoid her.

I'm with you on this one! ;)
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I had to work with someone like that I would make it my business to be nothing more than civil to her. Civil and polite.

She'll lose interest in goading you if you stop reacting to what she says.
  • Options
    ogg monsterogg monster Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    I would agree with the comment that she obviously has little self-worth and needs to try and prop up her opinion of herself by putting others down passive-aggressively.

You say she is small, she is clearly obsessed with her own size and is projecting it on to you.

Well that's my pop-psychology anyway. I would just keep conversation to a minimum if it was me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why can't women be nice to each other?

Can you be nice to other women? If the anser is yes you should have added the word some to your thread title. Unless you think your exception to the rule, the only 'nice' women on the planet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because some women can be complete bitches and they get enjoyment out of being so.

I have just had a very bad year all of last year with female after female upsetting me and hurting me, being vile to me and stopping me from being part of their cheap "group" because, and I quote, they "don't like me coming with them cos all the men talk to me and that includes their boyfriends" I mean wtf? :confused: I'm not the sort of person who would cheat and I certainly don't flirt with other people's boyfriends but they seem to have some sort of problem because their boyfriends are polite and talk to me and I am polite back to them. I'm hardly going to ignore the bloke if he speaks and I'm meant to be friends with the entire group am I?! They don't have any problem with other females talking and in some instances flirting with their men so why am I singled out when I do nothing wrong?

I have depression this year due to a lot of very bad things happening to me last year from women who I thought were my friends (and family in some instances) I am now stuck in the house all the time because I am so heart sick of people being horrible to me and upsetting me that I don't want to venture out amongst them for a long time. I am sick of having my feelings hurt, I don't do it to other people.

MrsBambi, honestly, do not put up with these constant jibes from this woman, don't let her belittle you and make you feel bad. You don't have to go off it at her, but if you show that you aren't going to put up with it then she might not be so keen to keep on jibing you. Its horrible. Hope you get it sorted soon. Honestly, she is acting like someone out of school, its quite pathetic!
  • Options
    trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    Resonance wrote: »
    I have come to the conclusion that most women hate most other women. My theory is it's left over from thousands of years ago when many females were competing for the attention of the dominant male.

you're right. if there's anything a woman hates on her patch, it's another woman.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Totally agree! I am never making good friends with a woman again, as I am sick of being hurt and let down by people who I thought were friends, I'm not setting myself up for it ever again. Not all women are vile I know, but the ones who are do a damned good job of hiding it when you first make friends with them so I never know who is honest and who isn't anymore.

To be honest I don't care anymore if I have friends or not, I'm beginning to think I am better off without most of them as they caused me nothing but stress and upset. Its been really horrible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some people are like this because they have a poor opinion of themselves and putting other people down with nasty remarks and the like makes them feel superior.

She sounds like a horrible person. I would speak to her as little as possible and don't show that her remarks upset you. She'll get bored and probably move onto someone else.

I agree - although I'm still not totally sure if she's doing it to deliberatley be nasty or if she's someone who doesn't think before they engage their gob. It's lucky that I'm happy with how I look - I don't spend hours obsessing over it every day as she clearly does. She's got a nice figure, but I don't think she looks any better or worse than me.

The thing is, I hate to say it but I tend to agree with you - in general I prefer the company of men too. On the other hand, I'd hate to be considered as one of those girls who can't get on with other girls and who is deliberately stand-offish towards them. Didn't confront her as such but was very blunt with my response ("yes, I am sure").

GOGO2 wrote: »
    OP, Please don't right off all women kind on the basis of one bitch at work.
    Some people are just vile, men as well as women.

Don't worry - I won't! I have plenty of lovely friends who are girls - as I said, she's not really the sort of person (let alone girl) that I'd be friends with.
    Why is she so bothered by what your dress size is? I get that sometimes and they always insist I should be smaller than I have said, I also get people telling me how to dress as apparently I don't dress appropriately for my age:mad: I think it's just cause they are jealous of my individual style which they could not replicate themselves;) - (most of the clothes I wear are ancient)

I just ignore people like that, have they nothing better to do than nose into my business?

If she gets into talking like that, just quickly change the subject and hopefully she will soon get the message.

Aw, you should dress however you like! I hate the idea of age restrictions - I still plan to shop in Topshop when I'm a granny.:D I just don't get the obsession with actual dress sizes - they're just a number after all. I have a range of about 3 dress sizes in my wardrobe - I just buy whatever fits.
    Espresso wrote: »
    If I had to work with someone like that I would make it my business to be nothing more than civil to her. Civil and polite.

She'll lose interest in goading you if you stop reacting to what she says.

That's what I've been doing - though I must admit it's hard not to react.
    I would agree with the comment that she obviously has little self-worth and needs to try and prop up her opinion of herself by putting others down passive-aggressively.

You say she is small, she is clearly obsessed with her own size and is projecting it on to you.

Well that's my pop-psychology anyway. I would just keep conversation to a minimum if it was me.

I've been keeping it to a minimum, then I felt a bit bad (as though I was being a tad rude), so got into talking about weather, which then somehow led on to her asking me about my dress size again and then disputing the size I had told her. I agree - she seems quite passive-aggressive.
    Can you be nice to other women? If the anser is yes you should have added the word some to your thread title. Unless you think your exception to the rule, the only 'nice' women on the planet.

Come on - you know what I meant - semantics. Obviously I didn't mean all women. I don't think I'm in any way above her, I just don't want this kind of silliness at work.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That might work (but still wouldn't) if the premise were correct. Men aren't always nice to each other, either (check out the football forum - and, no, it's not all banter, impersonal or any other justification you can come up with). Plus, most violent crime happens between men. That's not so nice. But don't shoot me, eh? :) (The reasons for those statistics are variable, of course, and that's still a very small sub-section; most men are not violent, of course).

Personally, I find that most women don't hate each other but it pleases you to think that, carry on. I find that being unpleasant is a personality thing, not a gender thing, As exemplified by men who come onto these threads to bitch about women. A few do it, most know it's crass generalisation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrsBambi wrote: »

Come on - you know what I meant - semantics. Obviously I didn't mean all women. I don't think I'm in any way above her, I just don't want this kind os silliness at work.

I know and I don't blame you, she sounds like a nightmare but is it really fair to ask ''why can't women be nice to each other?'' on the basis of this bitch?
    Some men can be right arse holes but you never get people tarring them with the same brush.......Umm ok perhaps you do, but thats not fair either! :)

I just hate this notion that some people have (ironicly it's ussually other women) that all women are bitches. It's just not true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because some women can be complete bitches and they get enjoyment out of being so.

I have just had a very bad year all of last year with female after female upsetting me and hurting me, being vile to me and stopping me from being part of their cheap "group" because, and I quote, they "don't like me coming with them cos all the men talk to me and that includes their boyfriends" I mean wtf? :confused: I'm not the sort of person who would cheat and I certainly don't flirt with other people's boyfriends but they seem to have some sort of problem because their boyfriends are polite and talk to me and I am polite back to them. I'm hardly going to ignore the bloke if he speaks and I'm meant to be friends with the entire group am I?! They don't have any problem with other females talking and in some instances flirting with their men so why am I singled out when I do nothing wrong?

I have depression this year due to a lot of very bad things happening to me last year from women who I thought were my friends (and family in some instances) I am now stuck in the house all the time because I am so heart sick of people being horrible to me and upsetting me that I don't want to venture out amongst them for a long time. I am sick of having my feelings hurt, I don't do it to other people.

MrsBambi, honestly, do not put up with these constant jibes from this woman, don't let her belittle you and make you feel bad. You don't have to go off it at her, but if you show that you aren't going to put up with it then she might not be so keen to keep on jibing you. Its horrible. Hope you get it sorted soon. Honestly, she is acting like someone out of school, its quite pathetic!

I'm really sorry to hear what you had to go through, Bobbii. I don't think what I have encountered at work is anything like what you put up with - I still don't know her well enough to know if she's being deliberately mean or if she's just someone who is obsessed with size.

As many FMs have said, not all women are like those bitchy girls who upset you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know and I don't blame you, she sounds like a nightmare but is it really fair to ask ''why can't women be nice to each other?'' on the basis of this bitch?
    Some men can be right arse holes but you never get people tarring them with the same brush.......Umm ok perhaps you do, but thats not fair either! :)

I just hate this notion that some people have (ironicly it's ussually other women) that all women are bitches. It's just not true.

Yeah - I definitely get what you mean. To be honest I was in two minds about what to call the thread because I didn't want any "women are all bitches" connotations - which is what has seemed to have happened!:o

On reflection, it really should have been "some people". I certainly know men who have belittled others in a very similar passive-aggressive manner.

I think I mentioned women because talking specifically about dress sizes is something only women would really know - men don't generally know precisely what size a woman is. (Though apparently, I don't know my own size either according to my colleague!)
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK - usually I'm not one to be bothered about things like this, but there's a girl at work who says things which make me feel about the size of an ant.

I can't work out yet whether she's just REALLY insensitive or whether she's meaning to be nasty/bitchy.

She has asked me several times what my dress size is (I'm very happy with my size). She's small herself, though not skinny. She asked me my size again today, and then said something along the lines of "Really? Are you sure? You're not a bigger size than that?? ".

I hate that a silly throwaway comment like that could bother me so much but it did. It's not just that - she'll laugh at things I say with scorn, basically to try to make me look stupid. I've come across other women who do this (almost exclusively to other women). Why??? I really like the company of other women, but often I find myself despairing at how a small minority of women can make such barbed and hurtful comments towards each other.

This person is not someone I'd normally be friends with, so outside work I wouldn't even give her a second thought, however, I want to get on at work without getting into any bother - I find myself being really short with her in case I get into a conversation and she belittles something I say.

Do you easily show your reactions on your face? If you do, she may have quite easily read you and believe her nosiness has upset you.

I think all females are capable of being bitchy towards another female, some know when to pull it in and some get off on bitchy comments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really sorry to hear what you had to go through, Bobbii. I don't think what I have encountered at work is anything like what you put up with - I still don't know her well enough to know if she's being deliberately mean or if she's just someone who is obsessed with size.
    As many FMs have said, not all women are like those bitchy girls who upset you.

Don't discount the possibility that she is a brainless goon!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Well, if we're generalising massively, at least we don't handle conflicts like men do, with fisticuffs... or worse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's unfortunate but I have only had problems with female colleagues at work. When I was pregnant a group of women in my office cut me out, totally ignored me, and later I found out that the reason was that I had stopped going to the smoking room with them (I'd stopped smoking) and wore the same few outfits over and over. It was summer and I wasn't about to buy a massive maternity wardrobe I was never going to wear again. I was so relieved to leave that job. I also had a female office manager before who was lovely when the men were in the office, and turned into a nightmare when they weren't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D Lol. Perleeze. My theory is that most women get a high percentage of their life's love, support and kindness from other women. Just a theory though, based on many year's experience of living on Planet Earth, so don't kill me Resonance.

I love all my friends, family and other loveable people who cross my path. Incredibly, a lot of them are women. Most, in fact.