Options

Cats following you

HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When I left the house earlier, my cats followed me as I was walking further and further away.. I got to about 200/300m and thought it was too far and tried to 'shoo' them back and got them heading in the other direction.

But yeah.. how far can cats go? I have no idea how far mine go.

I thought if they followed me too far they might get lost

Comments

• Options
    BigfeetBigfeet Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea how far they actually would go, but one of my cats actually comes out walking with me when I'm dogsitting parents' pooch - only about a 15/20 minute walk at bedtime, but follows us closely all the way.

Other times if I'm leaving the house on foot rather than by car I have to make sure he's in, otherwise I end up having to follow him back home to put him in as he follows me then too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of mine will follow me too the post office if i let him. If my neighbour goes out one of hers will follow her every where. If she goes too the pub she has too drive(husbhand drives he doesnt drink) or she will end up in the pub
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had that - when your cats follow you - I think it's sweet!

I get stray cats following me - that seems to be how I've acquired some in the past! In the end you just let them in!

I think cats are clever - and can sense people that wouldn't hurt them. I love cats, they're my fave animals.
    2nd is dogs, third horses.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's an elderly man who drinks at our local. He's usually there between 5 & 6 pm but sometimes stays later if he's chatting & forgets the time. He doesn't live far away & if he gets "delayed" in the pub, his very noisy & very large ginger cat wanders into the pub & shouts very loudly that it's dinner time & he wants his owner to go home:D!
  • Options
    BigfeetBigfeet Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wilhemina wrote: »
    There's an elderly man who drinks at our local. He's usually there between 5 & 6 pm but sometimes stays later if he's chatting & forgets the time. He doesn't live far away & if he gets "delayed" in the pub, his very noisy & very large ginger cat wanders into the pub & shouts very loudly that it's dinner time & he wants his owner to go home:D!

Hee hee hee - that's just brilliant! :D
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I don't let my cats follow me further than the post box, because if something spooks them (traffic, dog, other cat) and they are not on their usual territory they could well run off and get lost. A while ago one of my cats got chased away from his core territory and couldn't find his way home from three or four streets away (a resident rang to say he had been wailing at their window for hours).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    We had a tabby kitten appear at our back door many years ago. We would have taken him in but we had a cat already who didn't like other cats.

My parents took him in and he lived till he was 11.

Our cat used to go out for walks with us.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm lucky in that I live in a very quiet close with a large lawn area with a couple of chestnut trees. Very little traffic & the few cars that do drive up have to go very slowly. So I've always taken my cats for walks around the close. One of the nearby gardens has a large catnip bush & most of cats have always made a beeline for that garden to have a good roll in the catnip. They race up & down the trees & play with toys out there if I'm around. The only downside is that for the last few years seagulls have been nesting on the rooftops & they are very aggressive towards the cats. They'll swoop down & buzz them & scare the pants off the cats! After the first time it happens each year, the cats remember & keep to the edges rather than cross the grassy area.
  • Options
    wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilhemina wrote: »

Wonderful cat :D ,.......and boy when they shout, they can shout. My Rolo has quite a voice on him too.
  • Options
    mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a bus stop at the end of my street, and my cat has on occasion followed me to the bus stop and waited there with me until my bus came :D
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my neighbours cat often follows me but stops after about 500 yards and just watches me walk away. But until then he is constantly weaving in and out of my legs and trying to make me trip over.
  • Options
    shakeyershammyshakeyershammy Posts: 18,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My elderly female cat will follow me to the shop, sit on the wall outside waiting, then follow me home again.

My young tom will follow me over the fields when I take my dog for a walk, chasing after the dog when I chuck his ball for him! Hilarious to watch!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    My cat follows me all the time, and ends up getting lost but when Im on my way home I walk all the way home shouting toby like an idiot!! he soon notices me where ever he is sat waiting for me haha
  • Options
    KarmaChameleonKarmaChameleon Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat is only ever friendly to us when she's outside and she often tries to follow me when I walk down the road or to the shops. I usually try and stop her because it involves crossing the road which she NEVER, ever does on her own and that's the way I want to keep it. She's not a particularly adventurous cat and she's getting on a bit now.