Options

THE Worst Doctor Who Story.

daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,478
Forum Member
✭✭
On another thread, I casually mentioned that The Web Planet is possibly the worst Doctor Who story ever, worse than even the awful Paradise Towers and yes, Love and Monsters.

So that thread can continue on it's original topic, I thought I'd start this thread for those people who were talking on there to continue the discussion. It's a topic which probably has been done a zillion times since I joined this forum and if that's the case, I apologise.

Just to get things moving, the reason I chose The Web Planet as my least favourite story ever is because A)It's so outdated and b)It's so slow and C)The Optera with their dodgy mexican accents and shouts of Zarbbbbbiii! make me cringe every time I see it(which is thankfully few). The only saving grace is Hartnell's performance which saves it from being a total disaster.

Okay, over to you guys if you wish to discuss it. Who will be the first to mention Love and Monsters?! Lol!(Dammit that's me! ) :D:D

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have a worst story ever....there are some that I may not run to watch like the Dalek two parter of series 3 or Terminus...and some that I find a little boring or predicatble like Voyage of the Damned and the Eleventh Hour...or annoying like Silence in the Library two parter....but for me every Who story is better than no Who!!! And better than most programmes out there....so if you tied me to a chair and made me watch nnothing but one Who story of anytime and period...I woudn't complain!!!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least The Web Planet has ambition.

I defy anyone to say anything good about The Lazarus Experiment.

<Cue Mark Gatiss fanboys>
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like Love And Monsters, Fear Her is much worse

The worst Old Who story must be Time-Flight
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    I like Love And Monster, Fear Her is much worse

I like 'em both.

Love & Monsters is meta-fiction which only the Victor Kennedys of the world actively dislike & Fear Her is the last episode in which Rose is any way, shape or form bearable as a companion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least The Web Planet has ambition.

I defy anyone to say anything good about The Lazarus Experiment.

<Cue Mark Gatiss fanboys>

*steches fingers* well.......

I loved the atmosphere of it
    It was the first story where Martha seemed to becoming a more trusted companion and appreciated by the Doctor...with no Rose references whatso ever.
    I loved the idea of an old man wanting to be young and how far he would go
    And how that was then compared to the Doctor as being old, and how living a long life isn't always a better life
    The set up of the Saxon mystery was developing
    I liked the The Quatermass Xperiment homage to it
    I thought the Jones were used enough not to make it all about them and Martha..unlike Aliens of London with Rose and Jackie (saying that I still enjoyed that too, but it was nice too see a different style)
    I loved all the T S Elliot references, and how they fitted it in
    The idea of the monster inside was great....just shame about the CGI
    Overall it was great watch, and I still enjoy it....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Daleks in Manhattan 2 parter and Fear Her.

So. Damn. Poor.

And don't get me started on the camp wankfest that was Journey's End. Sheesh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    Overall it was great watch, and I still enjoy it....

Maybe I'll give it another go but I've tried twice and switched off both times.
  • Options
    VabosityVabosity Posts: 3,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried rewatching The Web Planet recently. Yes, it is hard work, but it's not IMO the worst Classic Who story ever! I would say that dis-honour goes to The Twin Dilemma, although Time and the Rani gives it a good run for it's money.

The worst Nu Who story is IMO Fear Her, although I'm not very keen on the Idiot's Lantern, the Lazarus Experiment or New Earth either.

As for Love and Monsters, I actually don't think it's too bad.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time & the Rani. The only story which manages to actually be worse than Love & Monsters, a tremendous achievement.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I liked the Lazarus Experiment, and Love & Monsters.

NuWho, it must be 'Fear Her'. Just horrid tripe.

ClassicWho, it has to be the incredibly horrible 'Nightmare of Eden'.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Oh yes, 'Daleks in Manhattan' x2 must rank with 'Fear Her' as borderline unwatchable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Long Game
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm only really able to talk about the new series. As far as I'm concerned, the worst episode of the new series is either New Earth or Fear Her. (I think my favourite episode is probably Midnight)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, 'Daleks in Manhattan' x2 must rank with 'Fear Her' as borderline unwatchable.

I'm actually starting to warm to Daleks in Manhattan in a so bad it's good fashion.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm only really able to talk about the new series. As far as I'm concerned, the worst episode of the new series is either New Earth or Fear Her. (I think my favourite episode is probably Midnight)

I agree Midnight was a good story. Thought the acting was amazing for all the actors to stay in sync, must have taken some rehearsing!

I still think Love and Monsters is the worst story of the new series so far. I have never been a big fan of stories without The Doctor in a lot. Though Blink and Turn Left have something going for them, Love and Monsters was the utter pits, added to it the dodgy send up of Who Groups, dodgy monster and just about everything else. You know when Terrance Dicks said there's not one good redeeming feature about a Dalek, think the same can be said about Love and Monsters......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree Midnight was a good story. Thought the acting was amazing for all the actors to stay in sync, must ahve taken some rehearsing!

I still think Love and Monsters is the worst story of the new series so far. I have never been a big fan of stories without The Doctor in a lot. Though Blink and Turn Left have something going for them, Love and Monsters was the utter pits, added to it the dodgy send up of Who Groups, dodgy monster and just about everything else. You know when Terrance Dicks said there's not one good redeeming feature about a Dalek, think the same can be said about Love and Monsters......

One redeeming feature - Mr Blue Sky.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree Midnight was a good story. Thought the acting was amazing for all the actors to stay in sync, must ahve taken some rehearsing!

I don't mind love and monsters so much. It's a little fluffy, little meh, but there's nothing in there that really grates with me. And the Elton/Jackie interplay's reasonably amusing.
  • Options
    *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    Even though I did watch quite a bit of Who in the Pertwee/Tom Baker days I can't remember enough about the it to rate them. Of new Who my worst one is definitely 'Love and Monsters' which is bad on every level. I also hate 'The Runnaway Bride', but to be fair it isn't the story that's bad I just can't bare to watch more than about 5 mins of Catherine Tate in it before i have to switch it off, she was bareable in the next series (though i still never liked her much) but God she was awful in TRB.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst of New Who has to be Midnight, 45 minutes of absolute brain numbing boredom. Russell T Davies at his worse in my opinion and probably the one episode I wish had never had to sit through. The premise is a good idea but it just totally failed and turned into an episode I never wish to watch again.

Followed by 42, awful and if I was Moffet I would never let Chris Chibnall near the program again but on the other hand I am all for giving writers a second chance, so let’s hope he does better this year. Then followed by Fear Her (Matthew Graham should stick with his own creations) then Love and Monsters and finally School Reunion.

Worst Classic Who is The Two Doctors; I have failed to watch this is full. The first time I fell asleep and all the rest I've had to turn it off but then what do you expect from that era. I can only assume Patrick hadn’t read the script before he signed his contract. Then Pyramids of Mars, I just struggle to keep awake during it. It’s just so incredible boring with a laughable villain. I will never understand why it ranks so highly with fans.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love and Monsters. A woman trapped in a paving stone for oral sex?

Revolting.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member

Revolting.

Ugh. That spoiled the whole story-up till then we believed
    Elton loved Ursula and wanted to stay with her for the
    rest of their lives.

Then it turns out Elton's just using her as a sex toy. :eek:
  • Options
    outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member

Revolting.

Really? I must have missed that episode because that's not how I remember it. At all.

Worst original series story - Revenge of the Cybermen. Dull script, dull direction and awful music. New series - Fear Her. Worst child actor since the dawn of time.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,954
    Forum Member
    This will never be agreed on, any more than the best DW story will ever be agreed on.
    The DWM poll to mark 200 stories rated "The Twin Dilemma" in bottom place, and that hasn't even been mentioned yet!
    :)
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Love & Monsters, closely followed by Fear Her and The Lazarus Experiment. Utter tripe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of the Love and Monsters story but it was excecuted sooo poorely