[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it's not, I can't click on the link.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you asking of the link is correct or if this is morally right?

Yes the link is correct and yes IMO it is morally right to have *some* dog free parks!
  • Options
    HardstylerHardstyler Posts: 1,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Copy and paste the link.. Its posted from my mobile so thats probably why its not hyperlinked
  • Options
    Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of irresponsible owners who don't clean up after their dog, and a lot of dogs that are intimidating to people who just want to enjoy a park.
    Yes you need some places dog-free and relaxing.
    I say this as a dog owner too.

(The link doesn't automatically display as a html link because it lacks the http:// on the front and isn't a www. subdomain)
  • Options
    Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some owners have said the ban is unfair on people who do clean up dog waste and that it will force them to drive to sites where they can walk their pets.

This is exactly true. I live near a park and when i walk around it I witness both ends of this.

Most owners have pooh bags which they use after their dog has done it's business. But there are also the selfish owners who just pretend not to notice and walk in the opposite direction once their dog has started straining.

And on a smaller scale there are those that stand and watch their pet and do nothing.

It is very unfair to punish those that clean up after their dogs, but on the converse side having dog muck on the fields can be a health hazard to young children.
    The punishments for not cleaning up should be higher, then maybe the amount of dog muck might lessen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im a dog owner too... We should adopt the american doggy park... Then we have our own place to take them. Next up dogs will be banned off beaches.. As its illegal to not walk a dog where else are we ment to take them if its goin to be a nation wide ban? (not that it is a nationwide banm yet)

doggy parks is the future
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Appears to be yet another case of what authorities do best - punish the law abiding majority because of a minority of law breakers.

Source: http://www.newark-sherwooddc.gov.uk/pp/pressrelease/pressdetail.asp?id=8615

That is a lot of open space banned. I suspect there may be some people in the villages who may have to drive a few miles to either another bit of open land where strict rules are in place or even have to exercise their dogs on private land - I can see some people with a bit of land using this as a opportunity to make money - as they say - where's there muck, there's brass...

Pavements next, mark my words. I'm not a fan of dog fouling and detest those who don't clean it up (as I can tell you walking on the pavements around here) but as I said before, another case of the majority of law abiding dog owners being punished.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a responsible dog owner I'm opposed to punish all, knee jerk bans like this which will not solve the problem.

Poorly thought bans like this will just make it harder for responsible owners to exercise their pets, while the irresponsible ones won't care and just carry on with their lazy ways.

The biggest problem are owners who just let their dogs wander the streets unsupervised. If dog wardens, animal welfare officers and rangers could concentrate on rounding these strays up that would go some way to solving the problem.

Sweepping generalising bans will just not work.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pugwash69 wrote: »
    There are a lot of irresponsible owners who don't clean up after their dog, and a lot of dogs that are intimidating to people who just want to enjoy a park.

Some humans make a lot of mess and are intimidating. I propose we ban all humans as well
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The day I can stop the neighbourhood cats cr*pping in my garden is the day I will support dog free parks.
    People do need to take responsibility for their dogs mess though - it is digusting, and takes literally seconds to scoop up and bin
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the problem with having some dog free parks though??
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    itv sucks wrote: »
    As a responsible dog owner I'm opposed to punish all, knee jerk bans like this which will not solve the problem.

Poorly thought bans like this will just make it harder for responsible owners to exercise their pets, while the irresponsible ones won't care and just carry on with their lazy ways.

The biggest problem are owners who just let their dogs wander the streets unsupervised. If dog wardens, animal welfare officers and rangers could concentrate on rounding these strays up that would go some way to solving the problem.

Agreed. Someone told me the other day (so may not be true) that Hackney doesn't even HAVE a dog warden at the moment. I'm thinking of offering my services, if it's true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    itv sucks wrote: »

what pisses me off is dog owners who walk their dogs on pavements at the side of the road with the dog off its lead and the lead over the owners shoulder or in the hand. Whats the point.
    Yes that dog might be under the parents control but other dogs arnt under that owners control neither are drivers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    Given that some parks are littered with used needles, condoms , broken glass shredded beer cans , blood covered bandages & general waste , id say a few dog turds are the least of our worries.

Councils quite clearly state that wastebins are not to be used for animal waste , so in the absense of proper dog waste bins , just what are we supposed to do with all the dog turds? The council on the parks provide dog waste bins, but on the streets not one , so i pick it up , take it home , stick it in a old ice cream tub & put it in the blue bin , just to highlight the stupidity. Recycle For Blackpool its states, well they can recycle a few dog turds as well.

:)
  • Options
    fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know in London borough of Greenwich they have already done this. There is a definitive list of where dogs are and are not allowed. I think dog owners need places to walk their dogs, but having 2 small children I would like to be able to go to the park and not have large dogs scaring the living daylights out of my kids every 2 minutes.

Please dog owners if you have a large jumpy dog, keep it on a lead. if you don't have enough private land to let it run free in then perhaps you should consider having a smaller dog?
  • Options
    fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that some parks are littered with used needles, condoms , broken glass shredded beer cans , blood covered bandages & general waste , id say a few dog turds are the least of our worries.

Councils quite clearly state that wastebins are not to be used for animal waste , so in the absense of proper dog waste bins , just what are we supposed to do with all the dog turds? The council on the parks provide dog waste bins, but on the streets not one , so i pick it up , take it home , stick it in a old ice cream tub & put it in the blue bin , just to highlight the stupidity. Recycle For Blackpool its states, well they can recycle a few dog turds as well.

:)

Every park near me has plenty of dog waste bins. The owners laso have the option of taking the mess home in a bag and disposing of it. Thats what I used to do if I couldn't find a bin for my kids nappies. There is no excuse for leaving on the grass for me to tread in, bloody tramps!!!
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fifilapew wrote: »
    Please dog owners if you have a large jumpy dog, keep it on a lead. if you don't have enough private land to let it run free in then perhaps you should consider having a smaller dog?

I assume you don't have enough garden for your children to play in?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Are you asking of the link is correct or if this is morally right?

Yes the link is correct and yes IMO it is morally right to have *some* dog free parks!

Do you think it would be morally right to also have some child free parks where our dogs can run safe and free from injury?

We use a park opposite us, only when there are no children there - we ALWAYS clear up after our dogs, yet our dogs are subjected to empty glass and plastic bottles, sweet wrappers, CIGARETTE packets - need I go on - despite there being a very large bin at the entrance to the park and only one way in and out.

I so agree that dog owners who don't clean up after their dogs should be shot - but If other areas replicate mine, I think they should take a closer look at all the dangerous and sometimes revolting items left laying around by children - which could do equally - or sometimes MORE damage to a toddler / young children.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardstyler wrote: »
    what pisses me off is dog owners who walk their dogs on pavements at the side of the road with the dog off its lead and the lead over the owners shoulder or in the hand. Whats the point.
    Yes that dog might be under the parents control but other dogs arnt under that owners control neither are drivers

I totally agree with you on that. I see people letting their dogs walk along the side of roads which isn't safe for the dog or passing traffic. Also, dogs off lead become a nuisance distraction for my own dog, who gets afraid and stressed.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a disabled dog walker if I cannot use the local park I will be walking on pavements only from now on :( We have a lovely woodland area set aside specifically for disabled people many of whom have dogs, but local horse riders have churned up the paths so many times the council now refuse to repair the damage.
    Seems to me if we all learned to respect each other a little more we could all use these areas.
    Disability stops me picking up as I cannot reach the floor so I got a poop scoop that allows me to do it from a near standing position. I see no reason why anyone should not pick up as there are ways and means to do so.
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    As a disabled dog walker if I cannot use the local park I will be walking on pavements only from now on :( We have a lovely woodland area set aside specifically for disabled people many of whom have dogs, but local horse riders have churned up the paths so many times the council now refuse to repair the damage.
    Seems to me if we all learned to respect each other a little more we could all use these areas.
    Disability stops me picking up as I cannot reach the floor so I got a poop scoop that allows me to do it from a near standing position. I see no reason why anyone should not pick up as there are ways and means to do so.

Me too molliepops, I don't drive so it would have a big impact on our walks if we cannot use the local park. My labrador is also 11 years old and cannot walk too far now.
  • Options
    KathrynhaKathrynha Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a phobia of dogs and a small child, and even I don't agree with a blanket ban on dogs in parks.

I think parks should have an area where dogs are allowed and an area where they aren't, so that there is a place for everyone. Maybe even a kid free section too (or at least bike/scateboard/rollerskate free) for those that want a peaceful space.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kathrynha wrote: »
    I have a phobia of dogs and a small child, and even I don't agree with a blanket ban on dogs in parks.

I think parks should have an area where dogs are allowed and an area where they aren't, so that there is a place for everyone. Maybe even a kid free section too (or at least bike/scateboard/rollerskate free) for those that want a peaceful space.

do you really think a child free park area would last?
    I dont..

What we need is maybe a park area thats fenced off with a big gate and its manned... Manned by dog owners on a voluntary basis something could be worked out. Same with cleaning we would all have to muck in with that bit (but you have to clean up after your own dog)
  • Options
    marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some humans need banning from parks. Some are worse than dogs.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardstyler wrote: »
    do you really think a child free park area would last?
    I dont..

What we need is maybe a park area thats fenced off with a big gate and its manned... Manned by dog owners on a voluntary basis something could be worked out. Same with cleaning we would all have to muck in with that bit (but you have to clean up after your own dog)

Could you really see that working ? It would be the same few doing all the work while others get all the pleasure I think :cool:

What we need is park keepers - you know those gentleman we all respected as children who while they worked on the up keep of the park kept a wary eye on what was going on and stopped anyone being antisocial in any way.