Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 8) (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,719
    Forum Member
    C4 will almost certain have first two seasons right, as overseas channels aren't going to fork out the high fee for just one series.

Five managed to hold onto House for 4 or 5 season before it was poached, so there's a chance C4 can do the same. Also seeing as there's hardly any decent new shows bedding in over here, C4 might push the boat out to keep it

but as ever we'll see.....
    You could be right in that C4's rights deal covers the first two seasons rather than just the one. However it only buys time, it doesn't make the problem go away.

Sky will be conscious that they missed the boat on this one first time around and won't want to make the same mistake again. It is simply too delicious a prospect.

But yes, as you say, we'll see what happens.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Fantastic figure for Glee's return and very well deserved. It doesn't seem to have lost any of the momentum.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Channel 4 deal with Friends was an multimillion pound deal with Warner Bros which also covered ER as well, Five had a similar deal with Disney for FlashForward so the cost for FF isn't so bad as it covered films and kid shows.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    You could be right in that C4's rights deal covers the first two seasons rather than just the one. However it only buys time, it doesn't make the problem go away.

Sky will be conscious that they missed the boat on this one first time around and won't want to make the same mistake again. It is simply too delicious a prospect.

But yes, as you say, we'll see what happens.

C4 will have to put a great fight, if the second season does well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I'm sure Channel 4 won't just let it go without a fight but it may reach a point where the asking price just goes so stupidly high that only Sky would pay for it.

I'm sure they're watching it like a hawk, typical Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glee did actually beat FlashForward according to MG:
    Glee was watched by 1.596 million viewers – a 6.5% audience share – on E4 in the 9pm hour. A further 351,000 (1.9%) watched an hour later on E4 +1.

This made Glee the fourth most popular programme in its slot, ahead of the BBC2 cookery show Out of the Frying Pan (1.158 million/4.7%) and – by a whisker – Channel Five's FlashForward (1.546 million/6.3%).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/apr/20/glee-tv-ratings
  • Options
    rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    Glee did actually beat FlashForward according to MG:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/apr/20/glee-tv-ratings
    Yes, D.M.N.'s post and MG quote the full hour averages. DS have removed the final 5 minutes from FlashForward's rating.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    Well I'm sure Channel 4 won't just let it go without a fight but it may reach a point where the asking price just goes so stupidly high that only Sky would pay for it.

I'm sure they're watching it like a hawk, typical Sky.

I think the terrestrials have learned from their mistakes though and C4 won't have put it into a position where it risks losing Glee. And to be fair, it's now quite a while since Sky actually poached a show - I think House was given up by Five rather than stolen by Sky.

And as brilliant as Glee is now, chances are it won't be as brilliant by series 3 anyway, so if it does go to Sky, cest la vie!

I think the more immediate concern is Five cashing in with "Don't Stop Believing", a blatant jumping on the bandwagon show choir reality show which really C4/E4/T4 should have got in there first with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In which case, I apologise. The MG article was not up when I looked so I was going by DS. I wish they would just report the figures in the same way as everyone else because it does create an awful lot of confusion at times.

digital-i is reporting that GMTV logged 900k (21%) yesterday. Definitely room for improvement when Chiles comes in.
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone was asking about Jonathan Ross - looks like he will be two guests down this week - Robert Downey Jnr and Demi Moore, although its not clear.

Little interesting fact I picked up on Twitter - Jonathan Ross' BBC contract prevents him from publically backing a political party.

I thought it was only those working in news that had that in their contracts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daily Mirror suggesting ITV have approached Myleene Klass to reunite with Adrian on GMTV. Sounds like Christine isn't interested though as her spokesperson told them she didn't want Adrian to go, but is happy where she is. Sounds like Kate and Emma will go.

Andrew and Ben are both going, it only mentions that Ben will stay until Adrian arrives.

They also throw Matthew Wright's name in for The One Show.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2010/04/20/adrian-chiles-arrival-at-itv-set-to-spark-gmtv-clearout-115875-22197723/

Fincham was the one that put Adrian and Myleene together in the first place, so he clearly rates them. Myleene didn't return to The One Show because she couldn't commit 5 days a week though, so I'm not sure she would do GMTV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering if that might be the case with many presenters during an election due to the rules on bias etc. Was funny with Charlie Brooker last week when he said something along the lines about how he'd love to repeatedly punch David Cameron in the face, but in the interests of impartiality he'd also love to repeatedly punch Gordon Brown and Nick Clegg too.

So, is Ricky Gervais still in the UK?
  • Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paltonz wrote: »
    When did C4 managed to get Friends back (or did it show on both channels, at the time)? I did hear about Sky poaching Friends for a while, before C4 managed to show new episodes again.
    IIRC from a book about C4 I read, Sky was preparing to bid for both the pay and free rights for Friends and ER (they already had the pay rights for both) in the same way that they bought up Lost and House. The were both big on C4 and naturally they didn't want to lose them so they also bid for both the free and pay rights. They ended up winning which led to the launch of E4 so they had somewhere to air what they had the pay rights for.

Friends used to be pretty huge on Sky1 despite it being in far fewer home than it is now. I think Sky1's highest ever rating is still an episode of Friends from the early 2000s so it was clearly a big loss for them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cent wrote: »
    Daily Mirror suggesting ITV have approached Myleene Klass to reunite with Adrian on GMTV. Sounds like Christine isn't interested though as her spokesperson told them she didn't want Adrian to go, but is happy where she is.

Myleene Klass is rumoured for every bloody job going. I think in the end they'll probably end up keeping Emma as his co-host.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe Emma and Kate could go back to Sky News?

It's Ben Shephard I feel sorry for.

Matthew Wright for The One Show sounds plausible - he was good as a stand-in last year I thought. But then I've always rated him as a presenter.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes he would be a good choice, ive always liked The Wright Stuff, he is the right kinda guy as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    I think the terrestrials have learned from their mistakes though and C4 won't have put it into a position where it risks losing Glee. And to be fair, it's now quite a while since Sky actually poached a show - I think House was given up by Five rather than stolen by Sky.

And as brilliant as Glee is now, chances are it won't be as brilliant by series 3 anyway, so if it does go to Sky, cest la vie!

I do wonder how they are going to handle future seasons as the kids have to leave high school at some point and what happens after they reach nationals? I suspect they'll lose regionals (not a spoiler, just speculating) in the season finale but it won't be the end of the Glee club.

TBH I prefer the adults to the kids at times epecially Sue and Schu, although it's funny that considering he's a Spanish Teacher, you never see him teach Spanish!
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worth noting New Tricks was not shown on BBC Scotland or BBC Wales last night.

BBC Wales had Coming Home at 9pm followed by Living With Alex at 9:30pm
    BBC Scotland had Holby City at 9pm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Ben Shepherd would be good on The One Show.
  • Options
    satman5000satman5000 Posts: 1,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gottago wrote: »
    IIRC from a book about C4 I read, Sky was preparing to bid for both the pay and free rights for Friends and ER (they already had the pay rights for both) in the same way that they bought up Lost and House. The were both big on C4 and naturally they didn't want to lose them so they also bid for both the free and pay rights. They ended up winning which led to the launch of E4 so they had somewhere to air what they had the pay rights for.

Friends used to be pretty huge on Sky1 despite it being in far fewer home than it is now. I think Sky1's highest ever rating is still an episode of Friends from the early 2000s so it was clearly a big loss for them.

Yes, you can read about it in a book called 'Channel 4 A Licence to be Different' it's by Maggy Brown a contributor to the Guardian

Essentially Warner Bros wanted to sell both the Pay TV & FTA rights together, and they bundled up Friends, ER etc with a whole load of other crap that Ch4 didn't really want but ended up taking so they could get the rights to Friends which was a staple part of the Friday Night comedy line up at the time.

This one deal also fast tracked the launch of E4!

One show they did get included though was the West Wing, so not to bad!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I do wonder how they are going to handle future seasons as the kids have to leave high school at some point and what happens after they reach nationals? I suspect they'll lose regionals (not a spoiler, just speculating) in the season finale but it won't be the end of the Glee club.

TBH I prefer the adults to the kids at times epecially Sue and Schu, although it's funny that considering he's a Spanish Teacher, you never see him teach Spanish!
    Glee could slow the timeline down.

I think That 70s Show slowed theirs down to almost 1 episode covering a few days just to keep them within the 1970s after 8 seasons.

It starts getting complicated when you do that though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    yes he would be a good choice, ive always liked The Wright Stuff, he is the right kinda guy as well.

I've noticed that Five are promoting The Wright Stuff a lot more than they used to, it along with The Gadget Show have been chugging along nicely and now are considered the crown jewels of the schedule after the US shows and football.

Speaking of Gadget Show, they given it a four episode extention as this series was 13 episodes.
  • Options
    WryipWryip Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »

And if Matthew Wright left FIVE they could still keep the Wright Show and bury Ian Wright in early mornings :D and try and sort out Live from Studio 5 (if they are keeping it) perhaps Ben Shepherd or Andrew Castle could do it, I hear they are looking for new opportunities to talk about irreverent nonsense on a daily basis
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Brekkie wrote: »

True. These shows have a habit of being red hot in their first seasons and then trailing off a couple of years down the line (Desperate Housewives anyone?).
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I've noticed that Five are promoting The Wright Stuff a lot more than they used to, it along with The Gadget Show have been chugging along nicely and now are considered the crown jewels of the schedule after the US shows and football.

Speaking of Gadget Show, they given it a four episode extention as this series was 13 episodes.
    The Wright Stuff reminds me alot of Five Live discussion shows, I remeber one week listening to Richard Bacon on Five Live, discussing the papers, and waking up in the morning seeing him discussing the same papers on Five.

Im not knocking The Wright Stuff, im almost suggesting Richard Bacon take over.

Kaye Adams has sat in for both Richard Bacon & Matthew Wright, I know she is ex Loose Women, but she done well, she is another option.

Heck im wondering how well Bacon & Adams would get on, as hosts of a revamped Live from Studio Five.
This discussion has been closed.