Options

The next Labour leader? - your bets

Peter EPeter E Posts: 7,746
Forum Member
We all know Brown will be toast a week by now so who do you think think will be the next labour leader (not caretaker leader).

I think it's between David Miliband and Alan Johnson. Harriet Harman and Ed Balls will throw their hats into the ring but they won't win (well I hope not anyway :D).

Comments

• Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miliband.
  • Options
    Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I've said elsewhere, I fancy Johnson to get the role as caretaker for a few years clearing the way for Miliband and doing all the gritty work himself.

Now would not be the right time for Milliband to take over and the powers that be....well, Peter Mandelson....will realise this and not 'waste' him immediately after Brown.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harman :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    Someone almost human
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As I've said elsewhere, I fancy Johnson to get the role as caretaker for a few years clearing the way for Miliband and doing all the gritty work himself.

Now would not be the right time for Milliband to take over and the powers that be....well, Peter Mandelson....will realise this and not 'waste' him immediately after Brown.

Johnson wont do it - he has already ruled himself out and said that he hasn't got what it takes to be a leader.

It's a poisoned chalice.

Whoever takes the job will have to virtually rebuild the party while all around recriminations rows and depression rule the day.
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's between Miliband, Johnson or Balls (assuming he keeps his seat).

My guess: Johnson
  • Options
    Radical JoeRadical Joe Posts: 15,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see Alan Johnson. He's done a good job so far, knows how to communicate with voters, and would've wiped the floor with Cameron had he been in charge during this election.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Johnson wont do it - he has already ruled himself out and said that he hasn't got what it takes to be a leader.

With respect that's very silly to bring that up. We really expect people who's job it is and who's duty it is to support their current leader to come out and say "I'll do it!!"

You must think NOBODY in parliament will ever become the leader of their party because all of them, when asked, will always say that they don't want to.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Harriet Harman - cos if Brown stands down she is automatically Leader until a new person is elected.

I cannot see her standing down as Deputy too voluntarily - she wants the top job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Harriet Harman - cos if Brown stands down she is automatically Leader until a new person is elected.

I cannot see her standing down as Deputy too voluntarily - she wants the top job.

I don't think she is actually. I'm sure now 'Deputy Leader' of the labour party has actually constitutionally changed.
  • Options
    Radical JoeRadical Joe Posts: 15,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »

Like he's really going to say otherwise and invite speculation with an election coming up...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Harman :p

Please no!!! I'm a Labour supporter and would not like her to see hjer as leader. She's even more unpopualr than Brown!! However, Ken Lvingstone was saying on 'This Week' that the Labour party rules state that if the leader steps down the deputy leader automatically becomes the caretaker leader until a leadership election selelcts a new leader!!! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter E wrote: »
    Please no!!! I'm a Labour supporter and would not like her to see hjer as leader. She's even more unpopualr than Brown!! However, Ken Lvingstone was saying on 'This Week' that the Labour party rules state that if the leader steps down the deputy leader automatically becomes the caretaker leader until a leadership election selelcts a new leader!!! :eek:

If that's the case Mandelson will insist she goes too or else he'll make sure she's deselected as a candidate :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see Miliband doing it in the future but I can't imagine there'll be many in the cabinet stupid enough to want to take over straight after Brown.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well Labour do really badly on Thursday I think she might be pushed by Mandy!!

The problem with Labour are there too many 'hangers-on' who really need to go and make way for new blood and some fresh faces.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't have Ed Balls or Harriet Harman in my cabinet.
  • Options
    GeegGeeg Posts: 23,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This interesting because for someone like me, outside of the Labour Party, I quite like David Milliband and think of his as the natural next leader. However, my friends within the party scoff at that idea and always mention Alan Johnson as being acceptable to most within the party.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well Labour do really badly on Thursday I think she might be pushed!! The problem with Labour are there too many 'hangers-on' who really need to go and make way for new blood and some fresh faces.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I don't think she is actually. I'm sure now 'Deputy Leader' of the labour party has actually constitutionally changed.

She is elected Deputy Leader - so acts as caretaker leader if the leader stands down. As Margaret Beckett did when John Smith died.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I somehow get the impression that Alan Johnson is one of that rare breed of politician who, when he says he doesn't particularly want the job, he actually means it.

I think he might be persuaded to do it for a couple of years, then hand over to the next generation - maybe Miliband the elder. Ed Balls will presumably be working for Talksport by then.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Dark Lord himself...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Miliband would be my preferred choice. But it's more likely that Dave will get it.
  • Options
    tgsh2006tgsh2006 Posts: 537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter E wrote: »

She does not become 'caretaker' leader she becomes LEADER! And constitutionally she is entitled to remain in post until the annual election at the Labour Party Conference. It is a misconception that Margaret Beckett was acting leader in 1994. Upon John Smith's death she became leader and it was only with her agreement that the annual election was brought forward from September to July. She could have insisted on remaining in post until the normal party conference of 1994.
  • Options
    Pices-55Pices-55 Posts: 18,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Balls will get it, and that really is a gruesome thought.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not averse to Alan Johnson. I hope it's him.

Not Ed Milliband please. He's awful.