Options

Erm... am I just being stupid or is this a huge error in tonights ep?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
Forum Member
At the end, when the Doctor looks at Amy's clock, it turns to 12:00 pm....

As it's night-time, shouldn't it read 0:00 AM ??

Also shortly before that, the Doctor has one brace down, the magically back up again in the same shot hahaha! And he doesn't pull it up that time XD

Comments

• Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rwar wrote: »

If you look closely at the clock it actually says "12:00" with "AM" to the top right, and the date (6/26) to the left. :)
    Also shortly before that, the Doctor has one brace down, the magically back up again in the same shot hahaha! And he doesn't pull it up that time XD

OK, here I'm going to be really sad. :o (All times are episode times on i-player):

40:04 - Amy pulls down both braces
    40:06 - Doctor pulls both back up
    40:10-40:13 - Amy pulls both down again
    40:14 - Doctor pulls one back up, then shot goes solely on Amy, when he could've pulled up the other

He did make a strange movement at 40:27 to pull his brace up again, even though it was still there though. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    If you look closely at the clock it actually says "12:00" with "AM" to the top right, and the date (6/26) to the left. :)

Left and no you're wrong there, I've screen-capped it for your benefit :P

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2652/aaaaaaaconfusing.jpg

Have a look :)
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy set her clock wrong... I'm sure that's fairly common.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Amy set her clock wrong... I'm sure that's fairly common.

But the clock jumps from 11:59am on one day to 12pm the next day! That's a 12 hour jump in one second!
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet another 'accidental' prop screwup from the production team...?
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    even if that was an error, which I'm kind of doubting with all the stuff going on in this series if you keep your eyes peeled, it wouldn't constitute a "huge" one.
  • Options
    stafsstafs Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the clock actually flipped over from 11:59am to 12:00pm? In which case. how did the date change?

Either it the clock was faulty, someone made a cock up somewhere and they've tried to fix it post production or it was very deliberate.

Edit: I've just realised this is another time related "mistake". I'm thinking of Rory's pass here. Are we seeing a theme?
  • Options
    syramusyramu Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe AM and PM are reversed in Leadworth? I doubt that's it, but I thought I'd throw that idea out there. :)
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has to be intentional in my book. I mean I can see flashing Karen's stocking top in Confidential as serendipity but ...

buying a clock that's faulty and just happens to lose 12 hours at the point where they're using it to denote the fact that it's the day when time blows up?
  • Options
    WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    But the clock jumps from 11:59am on one day to 12pm the next day! That's a 12 hour jump in one second!

There's a giant crack in the universe that is eating people, erasing them from time. I think that having a wonky time on Amy's clock, when Amy is vital to this plot point, is a skillful and clever piece of visual signalling.
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    There's something wrong with time so it makes sense there's something wrong with the clock (and not just because its signalling the date in the incorrect backwards American manner) and I agree its probably another visual clue to the greater story arc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That sort of stuff doesn't matter to me. Its fiction for goodness sake, I'm not gonna let some minor prop malfunctions ruin it for me.
  • Options
    alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    stafs wrote: »
    But the clock actually flipped over from 11:59am to 12:00pm? In which case. how did the date change?

Either it the clock was faulty, someone made a cock up somewhere and they've tried to fix it post production or it was very deliberate.

Edit: I've just realised this is another time related "mistake". I'm thinking of Rory's pass here. Are we seeing a theme?

Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff!!!
  • Options
    alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    Has to be intentional in my book. I mean I can see flashing Karen's stocking top in Confidential as serendipity but ...

buying a clock that's faulty and just happens to lose 12 hours at the point where they're using it to denote the fact that it's the day when time blows up?

And also they production crew have gone out and got a clock especially that shows the date aswell as the time....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a but weak the way he left Amy in the forest, I sure the Doctor and that other guy could have carried her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member

There's another error, that probably isn't an error but might be a spoiler. At around 17 minutes in on the iPlayer when the Doctor leaves Amy with the soldiers.
    The Doctor is in his shirtsleeves when he leaves, chasing after River. A moment later he is back, talking to Amy and telling her to remember what he told her when she was 8. The Doctor now has his sleeves rolled up and is wearing his coat, which at this point the Angels still have.

Back in the first episode, we saw Amelia still waiting in the garden in the morning, and then heard the TARDIS arrive. Then we see Amy wake up and are left to assume she was dreaming, but what if she wasn't?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JillHH wrote: »
    There's another error, that probably isn't an error but might be a spoiler. At around 17 minutes in on the iPlayer when the Doctor leaves Amy with the soldiers.
    The Doctor is in his shirtsleeves when he leaves, chasing after River. A moment later he is back, talking to Amy and telling her to remember what he told her when she was 8. The Doctor now has his sleeves rolled up and is wearing his coat, which at this point the Angels still have.

Back in the first episode, we saw Amelia still waiting in the garden in the morning, and then heard the TARDIS arrive. Then we see Amy wake up and are left to assume she was dreaming, but what if she wasn't?
    His not just wearing his coat, he is wearing a different one, with a different shirt and tie and a different watch on his wrist.

Clearly a different doctor entirely, it's pretty clear also from what he says to her - the context and tone of the discussion is different.

Most of the things that people are pointing out as being errors are more than likely meant to be there for a very good reason.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JillHH wrote: »
    I noticed that, too. I think it was deliberate and will be gotten back to later in the series.
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I noticed that, too. I think it was deliberate and will be gotten back to later in the series.

Agreed. From the editing alone it seemed clear to me this was no mistake. Blazer-less Doctor leaves with River and the soldier, then is back with Amy wearing blazer, then back with River and soldier as if he never left their side.

Definitely something to do with the over-all series arc, backed up by the line at the end about it all being about Amy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think while all these things are a part of the series story arc resolution, I do think that SM is also gently poking funny at people that make such an issue out of minor continuity errors as well, because he knows very well that threads like this will be created as the series progresses...:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12 hours gone in a second.
    Maybe thats an explanation for the Doctor not going back to 7yr old Amy and 6 months between visits when its minutes to him.
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stafs wrote: »

Look at the screengrab and you'll see that the date doesn't change. The clock seems to show the change from morning to afternoon rather than from one day to the next.
  • Options
    WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Listentome wrote: »
    Agreed. From the editing alone it seemed clear to me this was no mistake. Blazer-less Doctor leaves with River and the soldier, then is back with Amy wearing blazer, then back with River and soldier as if he never left their side.

Definitely something to do with the over-all series arc, backed up by the line at the end about it all being about Amy.

Maybe what we saw was the rewritten version of the past, and in the "original past" (?) Amy died.
  • Options
    tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TCD1975 wrote: »
    Look at the screengrab and you'll see that the date doesn't change. The clock seems to show the change from morning to afternoon rather than from one day to the next.

Look closer at the screengrab - the date does indeed change from 6/25 to 6/26 while the time goes from 11.59am to 12.00pm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    And what did it mean when the Doctor said goodbye to Pond in the woods, the last close-up chat, and he had his jacket back on, even though the Angels had it?? Maybe it's part of the lost time theory....????