Options

Have BT got The Premier League on Demand Next Season?

I think BT's deal to show the Premier League runs out this season.

Does anyone know if a new deal has been sorted out for next season?

Comments

• Options
    jam2000jam2000 Posts: 3,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homesdale wrote: »

Nope BT dont have it next season.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky have retained the "Football First" rights, but there's been nothing in the reports to suggest that BT have kept them as well (last time, it was a joint bid).
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Mark. wrote: »
    Sky have retained the "Football First" rights, but there's been nothing in the reports to suggest that BT have kept them as well (last time, it was a joint bid).

I would have thought so.

since BT is VOD, sky is merely an interactive channel. so quite different. you can't class Football first as VOD, as it won't be on demand the next day unlike BT vision.

likewise there has been no reports to say they've lost it either....

maybe though.. BT may loose it due to sky sports 1 becoming available on DTT or supposedly coming available. thus the two would conflict like hell. as FF and BT Sport would have the same content.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
  • Options
    spaceman05spaceman05 Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    intercept wrote: »

does not really give an answer to the op`s question
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can tell you now, no they dont have ondemand from next season.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    jam2000 wrote: »
    I can tell you now, no they dont have ondemand from next season.

Source?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andyf94 wrote: »
    Source?

BT of course
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Homesdale wrote: »

I would have thought so.

The EPL are bound to sell the rights to BT as it represents extra revenue for them.

You have to ask yourself if anybody else would be interested in buying those rights. Viewers don't want to watch old football matches in their entirity. Not exactly a premium product is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will no longer be on BTVision next season.
  • Options
    wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    That would represent a demonstration that the OFCOM decision is resulting in a reduction of completion.

It would appear that the EPL are correct in their belief that the OFCOM decision will reduce the value of soccer rights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wgmorg wrote: »
    That would represent a demonstration that the OFCOM decision is resulting in a reduction of completion.

It would appear that the EPL are correct in their belief that the OFCOM decision will reduce the value of soccer rights.

Why?
    We are talking about ondemand rights here.
  • Options
    Forum Member

So you keep saying. I'm not saying you're wrong, but can you provide something to back up your statements. like a link?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you keep saying. I'm not saying you're wrong, but can you provide something to back up your statements. like a link?

I dont have a link, but trust me it wont be on BTVision next season.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why should BT bother bidding when they can just let Sky pay for it? That way BT get Skysports on the cheap and sell it on to make easy money.

That's fair isn't it?
  • Options
    johnson293johnson293 Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if I understand it correctly, BT may now be in a position to offer Sky Sports 1 and 2 for next season, but will definitely no longer be offering the catch-up full and highlighted replays of Premiership matches, as they had been?

So, while they may offer more 'Live' premiership football, BT could potentially be offering LESS premiership football overall than last season... and this is something many of their customers/subscribers actually wanted???

If I've got that wrong, i'm sure someone will be along to correct me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hewjars wrote: »
    Why should BT bother bidding when they can just let Sky pay for it? That way BT get Skysports on the cheap and sell it on to make easy money.

That's fair isn't it?

What are you on about? more inaccurate facts again!

Why should BT bother investing millions in fibre networks when Sky get it on the cheap?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    johnson293 wrote: »
    If I've got that wrong, i'm sure someone will be along to correct me.

No mate, it sounds like (if others are to believed) you've got it right.

I'm just switching from Sky to BTVision, them getting live footie was part of my decision. I hadn't realised that they might be losing the rights to the non-televised games. I can understand why that might pi## some people off....me included, but overall live footie on BTVision was what I was after
  • Options
    Forum Member

That's fair isn't it?

you're missing the point, Sky have become so powerful that there is no longer any effective competition to them buying sports rights.

On top of that they price the wholesale prices so high that there's no incentive for other companies to buy them, effectively creating a monopoly.

At that point dominant companies are in a position to 'abuse' their dominance, and so regulators step in, just like they do for water companies, electricity, gas etc.

A little competition is no bad thing...
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    you're missing the point, Sky have become so powerful that there is no longer any effective competition to them buying sports rights.

On top of that they price the wholesale prices so high that there's no incentive for other companies to buy them, effectively creating a monopoly.

At that point dominant companies are in a position to 'abuse' their dominance, and so regulators step in, just like they do for water companies, electricity, gas etc.

A little competition is no bad thing...

I wholly agree there. Sky do charge extortionate amounts. At the same time have enough power and money that if any competition does try (example setanta) then they will end up bankrupt as they do not have the substantial amount of money sky do.

I do notice sky are in cahoots with ESPN. Sky Sports News advertises live football on ESPN in the ticker at the bottom.

I don't mind sky having the rights but to force a premium is unfair. with virgin cable you can subscribe the the minimal base pack which is £5 and still be allowed sky sports. With sky you need the base pack which is £16....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wholly agree there. Sky do charge extortionate amounts. At the same time have enough power and money that if any competition does try (example setanta) then they will end up bankrupt as they do not have the substantial amount of money sky do.

I do notice sky are in cahoots with ESPN. Sky Sports News advertises live football on ESPN in the ticker at the bottom.

I don't mind sky having the rights but to force a premium is unfair. with virgin cable you can subscribe the the minimal base pack which is £5 and still be allowed sky sports. With sky you need the base pack which is £16....

That is wrong, you do not have to take the base pack on Sky to have Sky Sports.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is wrong, you do not have to take the base pack on Sky to have Sky Sports.

Yes but if you dont you have to pay double the amount!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are you on about? more inaccurate facts again!

Why should BT bother investing millions in fibre networks when Sky get it on the cheap?

What is inaccurate? BT haven't bothered bidding because they know they can just let Sky do it and then have a free ride selling their channels.
  • Options
    warrior51warrior51 Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind sky having the rights but to force a premium is unfair. with virgin cable you can subscribe the the minimal base pack which is £5 and still be allowed sky sports. With sky you need the base pack which is £16....[/QUOTE]

A typical unhealthy hypocritical parallel pointed out. I presume then I can just take Sky Sports with BT Vision without taking their broadband?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is inaccurate? BT haven't bothered bidding because they know they can just let Sky do it and then have a free ride selling their channels.

Wrong AGAIN!
    BT will have to pay Sky for their channels!