Options

Ashes To Ashes Series 3 Speculation Thread (spoilers in tags)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    hello, im another first-time poster, long-time reader. now this is probally a mistake by the writers but did anyone else realise in 3x04 when gene finds the cocaine in that guys car he calls it 'a couple of kilos but back then you would have said pounds
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So all we found out was a conman who Sam Tyler arrested claims to be him, but that's no doubt just a lie, or Tyler confided in him as he was about to die. I don't like the idea Tyler "found out" and was killed because of it.

We also see Gene knows the dead 6620 copper, but we still don't have a clue who it is, only that Gene probably killed him too, or he was a colleague.

Didn't like this episode much, too many "is it or isn't it" moments and not enough answers.

Oh and I still hate them implicating Keats is the Devil and Gene is god, and it's all a ****ing religious story of life, purgatory and absolving sins. This really does look like it's going to ruin the meaning of Life On Mars, not to mention the character of Gene Hunt and the rest. :(
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,911
    Forum Member
    Any kind person got a link for the trailer shown last night?:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    NightCrow wrote: »
    Just Googled what I thought was the rather strange surname of "Thordy". Not a lot came up!:confused:

I just took it as a rough anagram of Dorothy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you didn't state it as an opinion and in my opinion someone being a terrible or very good actor is objective not subjective. Daniel Mays, isn't a "terrible", "shit" actor, he just isn't.

Acting is an art form and all art forms are viewed subjectively. End of. My sentence. :)
    sparkle_18 wrote: »
    Why do I get a feeling that Alex is flirting with Gene, to get him to tell her everything? From the trailer, I think that's what the kiss might be about...

She SAYS that, but I have a feeling her little heart will be pounding away as she sits there opposite him. 'Rump' take 2!
    And the almost-kiss appears to happen at a different time, because Alex is wearing a different outfit.
    There was fashion in the 80s, could have fooled me :D, isn't it now referred to as the decade fashion skipped (I was only a baby in the 80s, I'm a 90s child)?

The decade that fashion skipped was the 90s! IMO. The 1980s look was heavily influenced by the 1940s. I was a teenager in the 80s and I adored most of the fashions. There are fashion 'mistakes' in every decade, but I think in the end we are all products of our time and we appreciate most what we ourselves have experienced. I can be nostalgic about the 70s (my childhood) and the 80s (my teenage years) and I'm SO glad I grew up when I did!

I KNOW I said I wouldn't fawn over Gene in this thread, but one point NEEDS to be made. Gene, in that suit with the bow tie undone. Phwoar. :p

ANYWAY. I don't get why that bloke said he was Sam Tyler - I think it weirded Alex out as much as it weirded me :D

Lolly, as originator of this thread, I give you full and free permission to fawn, sigh, enthuse and SQUEE to your heart's content!! And I totally agree! PHEWEE!! :o

I'm very confused by the Thordy-as-Sam possibility, but it's unnerving that they got him to speak his lines in a very 'John Simm' way!
    An irritating romantic fangirly :p

Ooh, the gentleman doth protest too much, methinks! ;)
  • Options
    Ms BrightsideMs Brightside Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    Any kind person got a link for the trailer shown last night?:)

There was a link a few pages back :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    It'll be sad to see the end of the LOM/A2A storyline, but I think the decision to make a third series of A2A makes a lot of sense.

Series 1 of LOM/A2A was about Sam and Alex's arrival in Gene's world, and focused a lot on their respective families and trying to correct past mistakes.

Series 2 of both series was about their acceptance of this new time/world and their efforts to try and get back to the real world and their own times.

Series 3 of A2A is (hopefully) finally going to give us all the answers :)

It's probably a good thing they never made a third series of LOM or A2A might never have happened (god forbid :eek:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There was a link a few pages back :)

Thanks, found it :)
  • Options
    nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like the Keats character (yet ANOTHER ambiguous copper, is he good or is he bad?? How many have we had now? :rolleyes:), and I think Daniel Mays is the wrong choice to play him - he's too young and plays Keats too wishy-washy. However, DM was really really good in Funland, I don't think anyone who saw him in that could say he was a bad actor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I must say Daniel Mays isn't that good an actor, though I wonder if it's just the way the character and his dialogue is written. It's like he's not been fully told if his character is good or bad, so he can't act it with subtle sub text, as he doesn't know. This gives the whole, "wishy washy" feel.

Also did anyone else hear a whisper as Viv died? didn't we hear something similar when Keats murdered that undercover female copper? Did anyone make out what it was?
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is this on the iplayer missed it last night
  • Options
    Forum Member
    EIwood wrote: »

Also did anyone else hear a whisper as Viv died? didn't we hear something similar when Keats murdered that undercover female copper? Did anyone make out what it was?

you could hear a voice saying soul
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd consider myself a BIG fan of LOM and a moderate fan of A2A. The big difference in my feelings towards the two programs is that I didnt want LOM to end yet I have no qualms about A2A finishing - in fact I cant wait for it to end.

IMO A2A has been stretched out too much, they have tried to be clever with it (which has failed) & I have no anticipation going into the last 2 episodes (not like LOM at all).

Perhaps the Beeb want to get it over and done with as well - why else would they put the last two episodes on the same day otherwise??
  • Options
    VellumVellum Posts: 6,825
    Forum Member
    Yeah I must say Daniel Mays isn't that good an actor, though I wonder if it's just the way the character and his dialogue is written. It's like he's not been fully told if his character is good or bad, so he can't act it with subtle sub text, as he doesn't know. This gives the whole, "wishy washy" feel.

Are you joking? He is an amazing actor, been the best acting performance in it.

I think people just don't like his character and the way his role is being revealed in the storyline so say he is a bad actor, ridiculous assertion.

I think there is an element with some on this thread that cannot wait to moan and go on about how good Life on Mars was in comparison etc.

Fact is some LOM episodes were creaky as fk, the acid one, one where Ray kills someone but its never mentioned again (wtf?) it was the characters that held it together and its the same now.

I liked that band, read that book, supported that team, before any of you knew about it etc :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Vellum wrote: »
    Are you joking? He is an amazing actor, been the best acting performance in it.

Agreed!! His performance is truly chilling and pitched just right I think. The fact that he isn't older or immediately nasty made him quite disarming at first, which makes the change now all the more unsettling.
  • Options
    robbies_galrobbies_gal Posts: 32,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i like daniel mays i think hes played it perfectly-nice and creepy jsut how it should be

i watched him in plus one aswell on channel four in which he played a comedy role and was good at that aswell

im still not convinced that photo in genes tin is meant to be himself though

the copper jsut pointed towards his office so alex could find it doesnt mean it autopmatically is gene though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I just think the character is badly written and poorly portrayed. This is my opinion, I am entitled to it.

Also you claim some of us are moaning at how bad ashes to ashes is, etc, we are too bigger fans of Life On Mars, and can't see Ashes to Ashes being good. Well maybe you're such a fan of Daniel Mays you can't see past your admiration?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thejel wrote: »

Perhaps the Beeb want to get it over and done with as well - why else would they put the last two episodes on the same day otherwise??

They're not, it's going out over 2 weeks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    under 155 hours to go
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    *unlurks*

Hi gang :) Just a couple of points which have struck me since last night:

- I really don't think the ghostly PC Half-face is Gene. He looks a bit like him, and in the photo he pulls a bit of a Gene-esque grin, but something is a bit off. I think it was someone on this board who rightly pointed out he's not as tall as Gene, and maybe that's not very important, but I still reckon that while the ghost copper definitely has something to do with Gene, it's not necessarily him.

- That said, if PC Ghosty is Gene, then how did he manage to look after young Alex and take her to the station (something she remembers) at the end of the first series of A2A?

It's so confusing! And the worse thing for me is that I go on holiday...on the 21st of May. NOOO! :cry:
  • Options
    saxysaxy Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    16 pages since last night! Bloody hell I've got a lot of catching up to do....
  • Options
    VellumVellum Posts: 6,825
    Forum Member
    No I just think the character is badly written and poorly portrayed. This is my opinion, I am entitled to it.

Also you claim some of us are moaning at how bad ashes to ashes is, etc, we are too bigger fans of Life On Mars, and can't see Ashes to Ashes being good. Well maybe you're such a fan of Daniel Mays you can't see past your admiration?

No, I can see the bigger picture, LoM was a good series but mainly because of the characerisation and the interaction between them, also the attention to period detail and nostalgic references - the plotlines story to story could be pretty weak but the overall series arc was very clever.

So people complain about weak storylines here and I cannot see the difference? Strong characters and the series arc being the good stuff.

Here is my take - the storylines are being made deliberately more dream like - cartoon cops and robbers, OTT villains, almost Batman and Robin style for a reason - its not real.

As was said by Keats - its someone playing with their toys in a sandpit.
  • Options
    MrOstentatiousMrOstentatious Posts: 2,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey,
    Keats was at the death of Viv and also that other guy. He held them by the cheek an said "shh" could he be the killer or something? SO Viv and the other guy have paid their time and can go back into the real world?? And he's there to make sure they go back. So that whole world is a place where you pay for your crime?? Or somewhere were everyone is in a Coma?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well my latest 'sub' theory is that the dead copper is Keats (or at least related to Keats in some way) and he has come back for revenge of some kind on Gene. I agree with others that his dress sense looks like someone from about 20 odd years earlier (50s or early 60s).

I still think, ultimately though, it will be a battle of some kind for their souls.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not read the whole thread,. only from last nights episode, and me and my husband agree with a lot of the theories on here, i said at first i think the dead copper is Gene.

not so sure about soul bits tho, but we did comment on how he was there the exact same way at both Louise and Vivs deaths.

Cant wait till the finale, but my husband is leaving his job on the 21st May so will miss that one as we are going out for drinks!
This discussion has been closed.