Options

TV Flops You Remember

Comments

• Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »
    An ITV comedy show from 2004 called "Director's Commentary" which starred Rob Brydon.Rob Brydon played a character called Peter de Lane, a fictional director who provided the audio commentary for the DVD releases of shows he had supposedly directed.From what i remember of this programme it was utter nonsense
    That was one of those shows that didn't sound too bad on paper, I think the main problem was when it was on TV it was VERY slow to watch, it would have been a bit funnier if they put the entire series into a 30 minute episode, for some reason I recall he did a commentary of YTV's Only When I Laugh... how apt.

I thought this worked really well on TV - not just on paper.

The problem was that BBC didn't pick it up (you'd have thought they would have after 'Marion and Geoff' had done well, both in the 10 minute and half hour slots). It was shown on one of the other channels at something like 10.45pm on a weekday so, basically, never had a chance to get an audience.

Given the right exposure this would have been a big success - maybe the BBC could still acquire it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure that really counts as a flop, seeing as it lasted for three years

Well, given that Slinger's Day was a reworking of Tripper's Day, and that they both failed to get recommissioned in their own right, you could call it two flops for the price of one. That said, it was done again as a US-Canadian sitcom called Check It Out with Don Adams starring; although nobody who's seen it rates it alongside Get Smart or even Inspector Gadget - read the New York Times's review of the first episode here - it did manage to last three seasons in syndication.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I remember watching a Frank Skinner sitcom called either "Blue Heaven" or "My Blue Heaven" back in the early nineties.

It was about a guy in his late twenties who still lived with his parents (and argued with them all the time) and was in a really terrible band.

I think Skinner wrote it, and in true Dennis Waterman style: I think he sang the theme tune as well!

Only got one series, but it was pretty funny from what I remember.
  • Options
    franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    baronpablo wrote: »
    I remember watching a Frank Skinner sitcom called either "Blue Heaven" or "My Blue Heaven" back in the early nineties.

It was about a guy in his late twenties who still lived with his parents (and argued with them all the time) and was in a really terrible band.

I think Skinner wrote it, and in true Dennis Waterman style: I think he sang the theme tune as well!

Only got one series, but it was pretty funny from what I remember.

I'm glad it wasn't just me who thought it was funny....just 'Blue Heaven' I think.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Did anyone here see the infamous
    "Heil Honey I'm Home" when it was first aired? It was a
    sit-com about Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun living
    next-door to a Jewish couple, done in the style
    of a 1950s sitcom. :eek:

It was cancelled after a single episode aired. Clips
    from HHIH are a staple of "Worst TV ever" lists.
    The idea might have worked in the hands of
    say, Monty Python or Mel Brooks, but it just came
    across as a silly and distasteful program.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    plusman - The Mole lasted 2 series, and I loved it, think it was axed because it cost too much to make, but it was a brilliant gameshow

it was a brilliant show- but it was on in the early days of channel 5-not everybody had it then-so didnt grab a big audience.my daughter was the youngest contestant inthe 2nd series in canada
  • Options
    Almira GAlmira G Posts: 18,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone here see the infamous
    "Heil Honey I'm Home" when it was first aired? It was a
    sit-com about Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun living
    next-door to a Jewish couple, done in the style
    of a 1950s sitcom. :eek:

It was cancelled after a single episode aired. Clips
    from HHIH are a staple of "Worst TV ever" lists.
    The idea might have worked in the hands of
    say, Monty Python or Mel Brooks, but it just came
    across as a silly and distasteful program.

You've made that one up :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    Almira G wrote: »
    You've made that one up :p

No, it's real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWjCkcAmzDc&feature=related
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:eek::eek::eek:

It's like 'Allo 'Allo - without the humour :eek:
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    plymgary wrote: »
    I'll start with 'The Brighton Belles'. I can't remember much about it but it was an awful British version of the US Classic, The Golden Girls.

Before even clicking this thread, I'd made up my mind to hold my head aloft and unabashedly say 'I remember the Brighton Belles, and I enjoyed it'. 1993 wasn't it? Ah, those were the days. BBC jettisoned Eldorado in the summer, and ITV delivered us this in the autumn IIRC. I'm sure it came just as 'The Golden Girls' concluded its run on C4 and the short-lived 'Golden Palace' spin-off sunk as quickly as it took over. Could be mixing it up with 94 though.

I even remember the outro - credits playing out over deckchairs-on-a-beach close-up, with the cast singing 'friendship' - 'when other friendships have ceased to dwell, ours will still be swell la da da da da dee dee dee' :o:o:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :eek::eek::eek:

It's like 'Allo 'Allo - without the humour :eek:

LOL Yes I know! Bizarre!!! :eek: :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL Yes I know! Bizarre!!! :eek: :D

:D:D:D

It's like if The Producers was made for TV :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :D:D:D

It's like if The Producers was made for TV :p

You are SO right!!!!

Maybe someone'll remake it. The tv companies certainly seem short of ideas these days!!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was also CI5: The New Professionals which went into independent production without a purchase by any UK broadcaster. I think it was eventually bought by Sky One.

The Professionals was one of my all time favourite programmes so I couldn't wait to watch The New Professionals........... one of lifes great disappointments, nothing or noone can compare to Lewis Collins and Martin Shaw
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Samsara wrote: »
    The Professionals was one of my all time favourite programmes so I couldn't wait to watch The New Professionals........... one of lifes great disappointments, nothing or noone can compare to Lewis Collins and Martin Shaw

I wasn't a big fan of the original "Professionals", but
    "CI5: The New Professionals" was just dreadful. The
    young male leads looked like menswear models and
    weren't good actors at all.
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a sitcom called "Hardware" shown on ITV which starred Martin Freeman & Ken Morley.To be fair i never really watched it but i do remember it getting slated in the reviews.I'm not too sure what time or day it was originally shown but i do remember STV showing it on a Sunday night either at 10pm or 10.30pm.
  • Options
    wsmansemwsmansem Posts: 1,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Celebrity Wrestling - how on earth did this get a primetime slot on a terrestrial channel???

ANY type of Wrestling more like !

It should all be shown on The Comedy Channel .
  • Options
    TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corky Duke wrote: »
    Love At First Sight
    Sky's attempt at the dating game, it was like Blind Date except the contestants could actually see each other before choosing, it was presented by Bruno Brookes and Helen somebody, that wasn't her surname I just can't remember it.

Tabby to the rescue!

Her name was Helen Brumby

My moggy memory remembers a programme about golf hosted by Jimmy Tarbuck, the programme was Full Swing and was binned after 1 episode
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two I can remember which might have been mentioned in the past 13 pages - 'Stressed Eric', that weird adult cartoon and 'Married for Life' starring Russ Abbott which was a UK version of 'Married with Children' and lasted 1 series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Two I can remember which might have been mentioned in the past 13 pages - 'Stressed Eric', that weird adult cartoon and 'Married for Life' starring Russ Abbott which was a UK version of 'Married with Children' and lasted 1 series.

I vaguely remember "Stressed Eric". The funny thing
    about the US "Married With Children" is that although
    it was a huge hit in America, it didn't seem to take
    off in the UK.
  • Options
    tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    live from studio 5 which is unfortunately still running
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry and the Hendersons, Sunday afternoon schedule filler on BBC 1 20 years ago that no one seemed to watch but was always on. I believe it was about a bigfoot character in an American suburban house.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Harry and the Hendersons, Sunday afternoon schedule filler on BBC 1 20 years ago that no one seemed to watch but was always on. I believe it was about a bigfoot character in an American suburban house.

Twas a spin-off of the orignal film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093148/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Twas a spin-off of the orignal film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093148/
    Short on laughs, though, but the BBC had a job lot of episodes to show. The film seemed to crop up a lot on wet bank holidays.
    Another flop was the 1989 remake of The Saint. One episode featuring Arielle Dombasel as some kind of martial arts expert trying to foil a plot to blow up the Allies in Berlin was quite good, but the rest were totally flat and the series faded in the ratings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr Quinn Medicine Woman, was in a peak time slot but was soon moved as it wasn't delivering and the demographcs were poor. Being sent up by French and Saunders did it no favours.